shape
carat
color
clarity

Sandra Cantu...murdered 8 year old California girl...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Is anyone else following this story? The more it unfolds, the more sickening it all becomes....

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Italia, I haven''t seen it. Do you have a link?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''ve just caught bits and pieces, I have NO idea what her motivation was? Does anyone know?

It''s just so weird. She was nice to the kid.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t seen the updates in the last few days, but I have a feeling it was accidental AND that somehow her daughter was involved. What if the daughter accidentally killed her playmate? Makes sense the Mom would try to cover it up. I mean how does a Sunday School teacher do something like that intentionally? Then again, people are weird...and wasn''t she involved in some mental thing previously. Just bizarre.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 2:19:37 PM
Author: Mara
I haven''t seen the updates in the last few days, but I have a feeling it was accidental AND that somehow her daughter was involved. What if the daughter accidentally killed her playmate? Makes sense the Mom would try to cover it up. I mean how does a Sunday School teacher do something like that intentionally? Then again, people are weird...and wasn''t she involved in some mental thing previously. Just bizarre.
Unfortunately the reports that have come out today imply that the child was sexually assaulted before death. That doesn''t sound "accidental" to me.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
For those who aren''t as familiar with the story...

Sandra Cantu was an 8 year old girl from California who was reported missing and later found dead in a suitcase. After investigating the murder, the police arrested Sandra''s Sunday School teacher, charging her with the abuction and killing. As developments unfolded, it turns out Sandra was raped and molested by this woman before being killed.
29.gif

Now, as horrible as this is (and it is horrible) details have emerged surrounding the "freedom" this child had during her short and tragic life. Apparently, little more than a year ago, Sandra''s adult male neighbor was accused and confessed about "kissing" her on the mouth...yet, Sandra was still premitted to play over at his house and help him with his gardening. Further more, Sandra was also allowed to go inside another adult male neighbor''s home and "play video games" with him (no other adults in eye or ear shot) for hours upon hours at a time.

Some people have taken issue with the appearance of Sandra...who, at 8, had a full head of bleach blond highlights and some rather questionable clothing choices as well.

_________

Now, we''ve gone over and over with the Caylee Anothony case about exactly what a parents responsibility is when raising a child...and I do not want this to blow up into another battle over that. However, I am totally and completely horrifed over the lack of parental awareness.

How does your 7 year old daughter get kissed on the mouth by a grown man, and yet you still allow them have a "friendly" relationship where she goes to visit and play and plant flowers with him? I''m sorry, but over my dead body would that happen if I were a parent. And how do you feel comfortable sending your daughter to play, unsupervised, with another adult male for hours and hours after you know your daughter has been taken advantage of in the past? Wouldn''t you want to spare her any potentially uncomfortable situation? It''s fine if they want to have a "friendship" but you can do it at my home where I can watch...or, not at all. What business does a grown man have playing video games with a child?

And personally, for me, my 8 year old will not being getting highlights. I think childhood is short enough as it is...she''ll have a lifetime to dye her hair and wear clothing of her choosing without me opening the door to that so, so, so young.

I think so many different, horrible things went wrong and lead to such a tragic ending. While I mourn for those parents and their loss, I cannot help but feel as though so many times they had the opportunity to protect her, and didn''t.

Link:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514705,00.html

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 2:19:37 PM
My mom and I thought the same thing before the molestation bomb was dropped.

But, I guess my thing is, if it were an accident...why not call 9-11? I understand aderaline gets pumping, and the worst case senarios play out in your head...but she was a child who was loved. People wouldn''t simply overlook her vanishing...people will investigate...hiding a crime only stands to make it worse in the long run. That is what haunted me over the "accident" thing...even then, if it were at accident at the time, it''s moved way past that when you shove a child in a suitcase and disregard her like trash.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow-I hadn''t heard about this case at all. The poor girl. I agree with you Italia in that childhood is short enough as it is without all of that.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
in addition to murder, the charge is more than molestation: actual rape with an object. sad.

mz

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 9:17:34 PM
Author: movie zombie
in addition to murder, the charge is more than molestation: actual rape with an object. sad.

mz
What a disgusting bi***. Honest to God, who could do that to a child? Who? She must be a monster...plain and simple...a sick and depraved monster. May she get what she''s got coming...
29.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 9:24:21 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Date: 4/14/2009 9:17:34 PM

Author: movie zombie

mz

What a disgusting bi***. Honest to God, who could do that to a child? Who? She must be a monster...plain and simple...a sick and depraved monster. May she get what she''s got coming...
29.gif

FREAKING DITTO.
Let her get it with an "object."

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Every update to that terribly sad story makes my stomch turn.
15.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:32:58 AM
Author: aprilcait
Every update to that terribly sad story makes my stomch turn.
15.gif
I know, so sick so awful That poor little girl.
39.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly I take the news with a huge grain of salt.

Anyone seen that '10 years after Columbine' link that is floating around, it's on MSNBC but basically it talks about how 10 years later, we know now that so many 'truths' that came out during the news press in the beginning and the months following were seriously incorrect, but THAT original information is what sticks with people even years later. I will try to dig it out and post it, it's an interesting read.

I definitely do not believe the best of people in general as people are F'd up, but some of what is coming out of this investigation is just bizarre. Does anyone really think that this mother who has a daughter herself would rape, then murder and kill her daughter's friend?? I mean, of course anything is possible...but that is just beyond warped...especially with a child herself.

So much of what SEEMS to be true in the beginning is often only the tip of the iceberg, CSI anyone??? Anyway, the whole thing is depressing for sure any which way it is reported.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I am a totally with you on not believing everything you read. But I think that for the police to come forward with charges there has to be some truth to it.

Why she did it? Isn''t that always the question no matter what the circumstances?

Clearly, this woman has problems, this isn''t her first time in handcuffs. May she flew below the radar before because of her fathers position, maybe she was just never caught, and maybe we''ll never know...but clearly there is enough proof to charge her and that absolutely counts for something.

And I get what you''re saying about "how could this woman live a normal life as a mother and yet rape another child" but I think many times people with issues do balance a home life or live a double life so to speak...look at all the rapists who have wives and families. Why don''t they rape their wives or their children? Why do they only hunt down women in a dark park or allyway? I don''t know...but she isn''t the first person to appear normal that ends up being a psychopath...and sadly, she won''t be the last. I am just so happy she was caught...thank God for mistakes...because I wouldn''t want this monster teaching any child Sunday school.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Of course it seems ridiculous from a normal perspective, but some peeps just aren''t normal. There was a case of a lady with several kids of her own who basically starved and beat a girl to death that she was caring for. Bundy was engaged and living with a gal and her daughter while he was out offing other women. There''s some strange ones out there
32.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
true re the charges italia. ugh...just horrible any which way.

my friend said something like 2 out of every 10 murderers are women, we just never really hear about them like we are now with this case.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 3:11:13 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Of course it seems ridiculous from a normal perspective, but some peeps just aren''t normal. There was a case of a lady with several kids of her own who basically starved and beat a girl to death that she was caring for. Bundy was engaged and living with a gal and her daughter while he was out offing other women. There''s some strange ones out there
32.gif
So true. The monsters don''t necessarily look like monsters. . . they look like ordinary people. If we saw a monster, we''d run. These folks are the ones we interact with all the time - without realizing the dark side within. That''s what makes it all so scary and leaves people so vulnerable.
32.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I can not stand it when things happen to kids..I just can''t. I see these stories and can''t get them out of my head. I feel so sorry for that poor little girl.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
This story sends chills up my spine.

Did you guys hear of the poor woman who lives near the suspect and has the same name and is the same age? Poor woman is getting death threats just because she has the horrible misfortune of sharing a name with this woman!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 3:11:09 AM
Author: TravelingGal
This story sends chills up my spine.

Did you guys hear of the poor woman who lives near the suspect and has the same name and is the same age? Poor woman is getting death threats just because she has the horrible misfortune of sharing a name with this woman!
It gets worse...

This woman is also a Sunday School teacher...and has two daughters ages 8 and 5

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 2:26:31 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Mara, I am a totally with you on not believing everything you read. But I think that for the police to come forward with charges there has to be some truth to it.

Why she did it? Isn't that always the question no matter what the circumstances?

I have just joined this thread, because I have only got around to reading the story which was in our local metro paper recently. I feel that possibly she might be innocent. She has said that her suitcase was stolen... perhaps that is the major piece of evidence against the woman? Hearing these other stories (here on this thread, not in the paper) about other men being involved with the little girl just adds to my sense that something important is missing here...
The police so often get it very wrong!

How about Lindy Chamberlain, who was famously convicted in Australia for killing her baby? She told everyone that a dingo got her baby... and many years later, evidence turned up which proved her right. Meanwhile, she was really villified, her life was taken from her.
Justice is really a concept, not a reality, in sooo many court cases!
There are very many innocent people in jail.

A West Australian man, Andrew Mallard, has only recently been released after serving I think 10 years in jail (totally from memory here, folks) for a murder he didn't commit, based on completely trumped up charges!

The police are under so much pressure to solve crimes, so when they get the chance to do so, they do... and sometimes 'justice' is trampled under foot in the process!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lara -- the local police were themselves skeptical, but apparently were satisfied in the end that this was the person to arrest, and that there were no accomplices:

http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/1790750.html

(sorry that I haven''t yet figured out how to paste a link -- will have to work on that!)

Of course there is still the possibility that they go it wrong. If not, the only motivation I can figure is that this woman''s malice was based in envy -- for herself, or perhaps on behalf of her own daughter. Not to say there''s anything "right" about it, but it''s the only thing that thing I can come up with. On the other hand there are some people, men and women, who just seem to have no empathy or moral filters whatsoever. Maybe there just is no explanation for this sort of evil.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Maybe she''s the only person they''ve got solid evidence of - her suitcase, perhaps some DNA if the little girl stayed over at her house enough...

of course, I would like to think they had some solid evidence of the woman''s rape of her, through solid dna evidence... but ''rape with an object'' may not have direct dna evidence, I mean, do they have dna evidence of the woman''s manipulation of the rape object, in the context of rape?
erk, this is a foul subject.

no doubt it will all come out at the trial. One hopes.
7.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 12:47:12 PM
Honestly I take the news with a huge grain of salt.

Anyone seen that ''10 years after Columbine'' link that is floating around, it''s on MSNBC but basically it talks about how 10 years later, we know now that so many ''truths'' that came out during the news press in the beginning and the months following were seriously incorrect, but THAT original information is what sticks with people even years later. I will try to dig it out and post it, it''s an interesting read.

I definitely do not believe the best of people in general as people are F''d up, but some of what is coming out of this investigation is just bizarre. Does anyone really think that this mother who has a daughter herself would rape, then murder and kill her daughter''s friend?? I mean, of course anything is possible...but that is just beyond warped...especially with a child herself.

So much of what SEEMS to be true in the beginning is often only the tip of the iceberg, CSI anyone??? Anyway, the whole thing is depressing for sure any which way it is reported.
Absolute ditto. I read that Columbine article, as well as the one about the kids that survived and how they are doing now. I was glad to see they are living happier lives nowadays but something about this Sandra Cantu case just seems way too fishy. I was just angry at first when I read this thread - hence my previous ditto - but now I am starting to doubt the truths posted on the web. It seems to simple and easy, like she WANTED to get caught or something...I dunno.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely believe she did it. Why else would she swallow razorblades when the cops came to get her?
Not only that, but now there are more stories coming out about her and other girls....
one was on Nancy Grace tonight about how a girl returned home from being with her high on muscle relaxers.
I''m predicting some sick revelations in the future....child **** maybe?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 5:25:48 AM
Author: LaraOnline

...The police so often get it very wrong!

...There are very many innocent people in jail.

Maybe in Australia, though one dingo case does not mean your whole justice system is flawed
2.gif

Here the police rarely get it wrong (though it happens), and there are very FEW innocent people in jail (though it happens).

I''ll take a few accidental mistakes for the knowledge that 99% of the rest of the crooks are under lock and key
9.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:39:47 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Here the police rarely get it wrong (though it happens), and there are very FEW innocent people in jail (though it happens).

I'll take a few accidental mistakes for the knowledge that 99% of the rest of the crooks are under lock and key
9.gif

Uh, definitely much more than 1% of the crooks are free and walking about - our justice system requires a high enough level of proof and enough procedural protections to defendants that we simply do not convict all the criminals or 99% of the criminals or 90% of the criminals...

But even so, serious mistakes can and are made in terms of convicting innocent people (or at least people innocent of the crime they are charged with - few of us are innocent of everything!) Prosecutors do not always play by the rules, cops do not always play by the rules, even crime labs and experts do not always play by the rules. Its fine to say 'Oh, a 1% false conviction rate is fine by me if we get enough of the crooks off the street' but then there is always the one innocent person on death row that makes you question it all... What wrongful conviction rate (or wrongful execution rate) is really acceptable in our society?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results