shape
carat
color
clarity

Rotator Cuff Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
We just found out yesterday that my husband needs to have rotator cuff surgery on his right shoulder. They''ve scheduled it for mid-month. Has anyone had this procedure or know someone who has? How bad is the recovery? It sounds like he won''t be able to lift his arms for a while which will make it hard for him to perform some normal daily tasks. Also we are scheduled for an anniversary trip to Europe just five and a half weeks after the surgery, but the orthopedic surgeon didn''t think this would be a problem.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial, is the surgery arthroscopic (sp?). If some, someone in my office just had this done and the recovery didn''t seem that bad. He wore a sling for a week or so, and his range of motion was obviously limited for a period of time. He also went to a physical therapist a few times and then was able to just do the exercise she gave him at home. I don''t recall exactly how long it took--maybe a month or so? So I think if your husband is just conscious of the fact that he just had some surgery and is appropriately careful then any normal activities on the trip shouldn''t pose any problems at all.

Now if he''s interested in performing a trapeeze act with the local circus while you''re there, well then you might want to get doctor''s clearance before he takes the stage, LOL.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Two of my best friends have had it done Sundial. One did better than the other. I think the key was that one friend did to the letter what she was told be her orthopedic surgeon, and followed through with Physical therapy etc... The other one wasn''t as deligent. And have a 3rd friend who is on the cusp of having to have the surgery. So we''ll see. Docs have differing opinions and she doesn''t want to have it unless 100% necessary.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys. It doesn't sound like the recovery will be too bad if he does his physical therapy and doesn't overdue it (meaning no golf for a while). For some reason Deejay they aren't doing the arthroscopic (?) procedure. I need to have him ask about that. I'll make sure he stays away from the trapeze too!
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no advice etc but I hope everything goes well!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Sundial,
My husband just had this done a month ago. He slept on the couch for a week after, so that he could prop his arm up on a pillow and not roll over on it. I hate to say it, but he was in some pain for that week. (No driving, that kind of thing.) He had his arm in a sling, and ended up wearing the sling for 2 weeks. He's fine now. Good luck and just make sure you have prescribed pain pills on hand. I'm sure it will be fine.
eta: I just wanted to add that he asked his dr why it was so painful (his, specifically) and the dr said they had to cut a good bit of soft tissue while in there. Every case is different, I'm sure.)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sundial,
I don''t have good advice either but I will be praying for a speedy recovery in 2 weeks! I want you to have a wonderful trip.
12.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Cehra and Skippy I really appreciate your good thoughts. Julia thank you for sharing your husband''s experience. I''m sure he''s glad it is over and done with now. The doctor told us that a lot of people have to sleep in a recliner or something right after the surgery in order to get comfortable. Do you think your husband would feel well enough for traveling at this point?

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Yes. He would have been fine. I think what happened, also, is that he was feeling so good at the end of week 1 he reached up to get something a little too over zealously and did a little damage and had to go back in the sling. So, my advice would be to take it a little on the easy side after a week, even if he feels fine. Travel is fine; I would just watch the lifting of luggage quickly and overhead handles on buses/trains, etc. Common sense kinds of things. I didn''t mean to scare you!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sundial,
Indie was talking about snow today and I looked outside and we had very tiny flurry's
Did you get any snow? We have had the craziest weather.

Keep us posted on your hubby. I have a friend who is a doctor so I will ask him what he thinks. Have a wonderful Easter!
Stephanie

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Julia. I'll try to make sure that he doesn't overdue it too soon and we'll have to be sure to get porters to help with our luggage when we go on our trip.

Thank you too Skippy. I mentioned on the snow thread, but it is actually quite pleasant here today. Just a few light rain sprinkles earlier this morning.

Happy Easter to all.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
My husband wants you to know that he was driving after 4 days. He adds just be careful not to lift anything. Like you said, porters should take care of any concerns there. Happy Easter to you and yours, too.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate that Julia - thanks!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
A friend had the arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery and was in a sling for awhile, then PT, but it wasn''t too bad or too long of a recovery...good luck to your hubby!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
That''s good to hear, thank you FG!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sundial, I''ve been meaning to post. Is your dh scheduled soon for this procedure? Is he nervous/in pain?

cheers--Sharon

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for asking Sharon. He is scheduled for Tuesday and I think he is just anxious to get it over and done with it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 12:46:56 PM
Author: Sundial
Thanks for asking Sharon. He is scheduled for Tuesday and I think he is just anxious to get it over and done with it!
I will keep in my prayers for a speedy recovery
12.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate that Skippy! You are always such a sweetheart!!! I''m sure he will do fine. The hardest thing for him is not being able to play golf for a while!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Sending good thoughts your way for you and your DH!

*M*

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sending my prayers your way, praying that Tuesday goes well. I wish your hubby all the best, and hope his recovery is quick. And hugs to you Sundial. He''ll be just fine!!!
1.gif
12.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh thank you so much Poptart and Lisa!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sundial, hoping hubby does well!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate that Ellen.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Positive healing thoughts going out for tomorrow Sundial!!! I hope it goes fantastically.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 5:49:33 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 4/15/2007 12:46:56 PM
Author: Sundial
I will keep in my prayers for a speedy recovery
12.gif

I will be thinking about you guys tomorrow. Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll be thinking of you guys tomorrow. Wishing your hubby all the best. Let us know how it goes, when you have time.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hope all goes well and wishing a super duper speedy recovery! keep us posted.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sundial,
If you need anything at all email me. Again lots of prayers.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial, thinking of you and the hubby today. Please let us know as soon as you can how it went.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results