shape
carat
color
clarity

Random talk thread!

audball

Ideal_Rock
All you can do is try! I hope your nerves ease up once you get settled into your routine. Dust to keep the germs away!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1410181557|3746926 said:
All you can do is try! I hope your nerves ease up once you get settled into your routine. Dust to keep the germs away!

Thanks!

I know it will be fine. The last couple of years have been awful with all the flus and stuff going around. Seems like everything shows up at school :nono:

I only have one class in person every day. Another meets in person once per week and the other is online. Hopefully being at the school for just an hour each day will reduce how much sickness I'm exposed to.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any plans for your anniversary? Are you looking for somewhere different to spend the weekend or planning something at home?

We have reservations at the winery for just the one night but I need to make other arrangements at home so we can enjoy ourselves. I think I'm going to ask the mother of one of A's friends if she can stay the night with them (it is a Friday) so we don't have to worry about her being home alone. (since the issues last time happened after many months of great behavior and stability and right now we're back to every last little thing being a struggle - I just don't want to spend our anniversary worrying about what is happening at home).
I also need to see if one of the neighbor's kids can take care of our animals for the night.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1410361786|3748378 said:
Any plans for your anniversary? Are you looking for somewhere different to spend the weekend or planning something at home?

We have reservations at the winery for just the one night but I need to make other arrangements at home so we can enjoy ourselves. I think I'm going to ask the mother of one of A's friends if she can stay the night with them (it is a Friday) so we don't have to worry about her being home alone. (since the issues last time happened after many months of great behavior and stability and right now we're back to every last little thing being a struggle - I just don't want to spend our anniversary worrying about what is happening at home).
I also need to see if one of the neighbor's kids can take care of our animals for the night.
We haven't booked anything yet (I think we may tonight, though!). We're pretty sure we're going to go back to Savannah for 2 nights (the 29th and 30th) so we're actually there for our anniversary. Should be fun!

I think going back to the winery sounds so nice! And even better if you can get someone to watch A and the pets!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1410369016|3748462 said:
TooPatient|1410361786|3748378 said:

We haven't booked anything yet (I think we may tonight, though!). We're pretty sure we're going to go back to Savannah for 2 nights (the 29th and 30th) so we're actually there for our anniversary. Should be fun!

I think going back to the winery sounds so nice! And even better if you can get someone to watch A and the pets!!

Fun!
I hope you were able to make your arrangements!

Just got off the phone. "A" was invited to stay with her friend for the night so we can go out and not worry!!!

Now... Just to figure out the animals. (that should be easy with the great neighbors we have... and a couple of amazing kids who like cash :)) )

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1410413684|3748857 said:
Fun!

Just got off the phone. "A" was invited to stay with her friend for the night so we can go out and not worry!!!

Now... Just to figure out the animals. (that should be easy with the great neighbors we have... and a couple of amazing kids who like cash :)) )
We didn't get to it yesterday but just booked them! Off to Savannah we go! :))

Glad you're arrangements are all settled too...can't believe our anniversaries are next month!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1410486774|3749456 said:
TooPatient|1410413684|3748857 said:
Fun!

We didn't get to it yesterday but just booked them! Off to Savannah we go! :))

Glad you're arrangements are all settled too...can't believe our anniversaries are next month!

Exciting!

We're just a month away!!! (well... plus a few days)

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1410704025|3750807 said:
Exciting!

One month and 2 days for you! I still have 6 weeks and 3 days! :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1410797431|3751250 said:
TooPatient|1410704025|3750807 said:
Exciting!

One month and 2 days for you! I still have 6 weeks and 3 days! :))

It moves so fast!

Still need to find the right anniversary card. (and hint to DH that he should do the same...)
I'm thinking that maybe our anniversary gift to us this year could be getting a set of frames and hanging some wedding pictures. With DH laid off, it can't be too much but I'd hate to not do a little something.

Are you guys doing individual gifts or a couple gift? (or just a fun time away instead?) I can see the benefit to any of those!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1410874673|3751790 said:
It moves so fast!

Still need to find the right anniversary card. (and hint to DH that he should do the same...)
I'm thinking that maybe our anniversary gift to us this year could be getting a set of frames and hanging some wedding pictures. With DH laid off, it can't be too much but I'd hate to not do a little something.

Are you guys doing individual gifts or a couple gift? (or just a fun time away instead?) I can see the benefit to any of those!
It really does! We'll definitely do cards, we always do, but we're not big gift people. The trip will definitely be a part of our "gift", and we talked about picking out something from a shop in Savannah for our house as a couple gift, I thought that was nice.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1410877398|3751827 said:
TooPatient|1410874673|3751790 said:
It moves so fast!

It really does! We'll definitely do cards, we always do, but we're not big gift people. The trip will definitely be a part of our "gift", and we talked about picking out something from a shop in Savannah for our house as a couple gift, I thought that was nice.

That could be fun!
I love special things picked out together that can be a part of the home. It just feels like it is more special to pick out something together to celebrate special things and then to get to have it as part of your home to remind you of those happy occasions :))

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1410892705|3751996 said:
audball|1410877398|3751827 said:
That could be fun!
I love special things picked out together that can be a part of the home. It just feels like it is more special to pick out something together to celebrate special things and then to get to have it as part of your home to remind you of those happy occasions :))
I thought so! Now...to see if we can actually find anything! Hah!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope your classes are going great!

Today is the first day of the quarter for me. I absolutely HATE the first week of fall quarter. The parking lot is a nightmare. Every last person is showing up and a bunch are fresh from high school with no idea where to go or how to drive :rolleyes: I don't mind the not knowing where to go and will happily help.... but the one big rule in driving is DON'T HIT! Anxious parents sit in cars and block everyone while they kiss their kid goodbye on the first day of college. The whole place is a mess. I'm going in a few hours early to (hopefully) avoid the worst.

audball

Ideal_Rock
So far, so good for me! I have class tonight (it's once/week on Monday nights) and this is week 5 already. Our semesters are 16 weeks long.

Hope the campus isn't as crazy as you're expecting! Good luck getting back to the grind today! :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1411393089|3755172 said:
So far, so good for me! I have class tonight (it's once/week on Monday nights) and this is week 5 already. Our semesters are 16 weeks long.

Hope the campus isn't as crazy as you're expecting! Good luck getting back to the grind today! :))

1/3 of the way there! Just another 11 weeks and you'll be done with another one!

Once a week is nice. I have one of those this quarter that meets on Tuesdays. Tomorrow is the first meeting of that class.

The campus was super calm compared to the traffic getting there.... an hour and a half from home to school :nono: Usually takes about 30 minutes or so. Parking was crazy. They are still working at building the new parking garage but that means the lot they tore up to build it is closed and the new place isn't done yet.
That said, I loved my class! The instructor is great, the book is good, and I have an entire class of people I don't know! (that is great because I'm sick of explaining upper division transfers to people who just want to get out as soon as possible -- 1/6th the tuition, cheaper parking, no toll bridge, smaller classes, and better instructors (sometimes)... why wouldn't I takes as many credits as they'll let me transfer!)

I've got the one in person every day, one class entirely online (including all exams), and one class meets once per week with the rest online.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Glad you got a pretty good start!

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ladies! Sounds like you are both well and celebrating anniversaries soon!? OMG. Where has the time gone? T and I have been married a little over 3 weeks now. Just waiting (and dying!!) to get the pictures and video back. For the moment, I am busy researching our cruise that we are taking in January and trying to get ideas on what excursions to go on and which ones to skip. Fun fun. Do you mind if I join you?? :bigsmile:

audball

Ideal_Rock
antiquesparkler|1412018530|3758737 said:
Hi Ladies! Sounds like you are both well and celebrating anniversaries soon!? OMG. Where has the time gone? T and I have been married a little over 3 weeks now. Just waiting (and dying!!) to get the pictures and video back. For the moment, I am busy researching our cruise that we are taking in January and trying to get ideas on what excursions to go on and which ones to skip. Fun fun. Do you mind if I join you?? :bigsmile:
WELCOME AS!!!! :))

And yes, TP and I both have 1st anniversaries next month..crazy! She and B are 10/17 and A and I are 10/30!

It's nice to see a fresh face in here! When you get your pictures back, please share some shots with us in the newlywed photo albums!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! :wavey:

The wait for pictures is so hard! I hope you'll share a bunch when you get them.

Okay... Have to go. Can't walk and type at the same time :nono:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you Audball?
Just a few weeks until your 1st anniversary!!

AS -- Any pictures yet? I know the wait can feel LONG!

Less than a week to go! Our first anniversary is Friday! (since we celebrate that and not the legal paperwork that was 10/10)
We'll be staying a night at the winery. Reservations confirmed. Dinner reservations set. "A" is going to stay with friends while we are gone. My brother will come stay in the house and take care of the cats & dogs.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I can't believe it's been nearly a year for each of us already. What a year it has been! Happy early anniversary to you and B...I hope you both have a wonderful time at the winery!

AFM - things have been better. My DH was unfortunately laid off work on 10/3. We'll be okay with our finances for awhile as we have adequate savings and I make enough to cover most of our bills so savings should last a good long while, but it's still so upsetting and stressful to be dealing with. We're going to have to cancel our anniversary trip to Savannah because even though it's not a super costly trip, it's not responsible for us to be spending precious savings on a trip without two incomes coming in. I don't know what (if anything) we'll do for our anniversary now. I've already put in the vacation time to take off work Tuesday-Friday that week, I may just keep them off and stay home with him anyway even if we don't have plans.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1413215341|3766449 said:
I can't believe it's been nearly a year for each of us already. What a year it has been! Happy early anniversary to you and B...I hope you both have a wonderful time at the winery!

AFM - things have been better. My DH was unfortunately laid off work on 10/3. We'll be okay with our finances for awhile as we have adequate savings and I make enough to cover most of our bills so savings should last a good long while, but it's still so upsetting and stressful to be dealing with. We're going to have to cancel our anniversary trip to Savannah because even though it's not a super costly trip, it's not responsible for us to be spending precious savings on a trip without two incomes coming in. I don't know what (if anything) we'll do for our anniversary now. I've already put in the vacation time to take off work Tuesday-Friday that week, I may just keep them off and stay home with him anyway even if we don't have plans.

Sorry to hear that!

Being laid off sucks.... Being married to the one laid off sucks at LEAST as much.
I hope your DH is able to get back to it in a job he loves in a better place than before. DH keeps telling me that is what often happens so I'll hope it happens for your DH (and mine!) quickly.
The uncertainty is the WORST.

DH is still laid off. I waiver between "OMG! What are we doing!?!?!" and "It isn't all that much and if we don't go we'll both regret it." That said, I plan to fully enjoy the trip to the winery! We went back and forth bunches of times but finally decided that we'll have it sorted out soon enough and if we didn't go we would regret not being there for our 1st anniversary. (We plan (hope) to go every year.) With him being out since July and putting in 12-16 hour days 6 days per week we also feel like we really need a night away to keep some sanity. We're also in an expensive area so the entire night (including dinner, breakfast, wine tasting, dessert & wine in room, etc) comes in at about 1/12 of our monthly mortgage or about 1 month electricity so in the greater scheme of things it isn't enough to make much of a difference. (but I am cutting other stuff to make up for it!)

Anyway, not sure how far away it is for you but is it possible to cut to just one night with dinner so you can still celebrate your special day without feeling like you are being irresponsible?

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1413264561|3766802 said:
Sorry to hear that!

Being laid off sucks.... Being married to the one laid off sucks at LEAST as much.
I hope your DH is able to get back to it in a job he loves in a better place than before. DH keeps telling me that is what often happens so I'll hope it happens for your DH (and mine!) quickly.
The uncertainty is the WORST.

DH is still laid off. I waiver between "OMG! What are we doing!?!?!" and "It isn't all that much and if we don't go we'll both regret it." That said, I plan to fully enjoy the trip to the winery! We went back and forth bunches of times but finally decided that we'll have it sorted out soon enough and if we didn't go we would regret not being there for our 1st anniversary. (We plan (hope) to go every year.) With him being out since July and putting in 12-16 hour days 6 days per week we also feel like we really need a night away to keep some sanity. We're also in an expensive area so the entire night (including dinner, breakfast, wine tasting, dessert & wine in room, etc) comes in at about 1/12 of our monthly mortgage or about 1 month electricity so in the greater scheme of things it isn't enough to make much of a difference. (but I am cutting other stuff to make up for it!)

Anyway, not sure how far away it is for you but is it possible to cut to just one night with dinner so you can still celebrate your special day without feeling like you are being irresponsible?
It does. And it's hard to know what to do. I know he's upset about it even though it was to no fault of his own. The company just wasn't doing well and he wasn't the only one laid off. His supervisor gave him his personal contact information for references which was nice. I hope he can find something sooner than later and that it *is* better. He had been casually looking because he wanted a change towards something that was more long-term goal specific, but it certainly would have been nice to stay employed while looking.

I think it's still so fresh (not even two weeks) so I'm still mentally in conservation mode. We both did talk last night about how it would be so sad not to go if it turns out he gets something good in November or December, but on the other hand we'd both regret going if it turns out it takes 6+ months to find something, ya know? And ultimately I think we wouldn't have a good time because we'd both be worried about spending too much and just ruin the whole trip anyway. Maybe if it were closer 1 night would be a good compromise, but it's a little over a 6 hour drive to get there, with check in not until 3pm and check out at 11am, one night just doesn't seem worth the drive and limited time we'd have there anyway.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6 hours is a bit far for one night.

I know what you mean about it maybe taking a long time to find. We are both terrified that he won't be able to get hired. He is older (59) and that was a problem when he was looking last time (10 years ago...). He has (another) phone interview tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. Had one last week that he would have been perfect for but they haven't called him back yet.

So while we hope for it all to work out, I'm trying to prepare us for the worst. He has been working non-stop getting software written. Should be within a week or two of having the first bit done and ready for sale. The next bit is larger but should be ready soon after and will (hopefully) be purchased by a company. Both are on the way to another project that the neighbor wanted. He is (supposedly -- but he is an awesome guy so I don't doubt him) talking with friends of his about how to market this project.
I would LOVE to see him able to start a business again. His last was successful so it might work.

I'm sending his application to various contract companies (whatever you call them -- the people who match software engineers to contract positions) and directly to other companies for permanent positions. I can take care of all the e-mail correspondence while he focuses on the other stuff.

We're doing "okay" financially, but it is SOOoooo scary. Will need to tap into credit in another couple of months. Hoping to not touch credit or retirement funds but will do what we have to.

Oh!
On a positive note, a friend from California is coming for a visit!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, if it were closer I'd be more likely to want to just go for it and cut it short, but it just doesn't seem feasible. Here's hoping that both of our DHs find something soon.

I hope you enjoy your friend coming for a visit and your upcoming anniversary and trip!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1413387281|3767391 said:
Yeah, if it were closer I'd be more likely to want to just go for it and cut it short, but it just doesn't seem feasible. Here's hoping that both of our DHs find something soon.

I hope you enjoy your friend coming for a visit and your upcoming anniversary and trip!

Yes!!! I hope they are both working again soon and happier than ever.

I do plan to enjoy the winery and look forward to seeing this friend. I've only met him in person once but he's been a good fried of DH forever. We do e-mail & talk on the phone from time to time. He is the sort of friend who just enjoys a visit. Nothing special. No desire to be entertained. He even made breakfast last time he was over! I genuinely like him so it isn't stressful getting ready for him to arrive.

The 2nd phone interview didn't go anywhere. They wanted more of an entry level plug sections together sort of person and that is really not DH. It isn't just that the pay would be far less than he had been making (and we need to live in this area). The positions like that would really damage his resume and make it harder to get hired into a good position later too.
The up side is that the group is passing his resume over to the team that does the operating system for the company to see if they have a better position for him. (He doesn't like to brag, but he is a large part of why Windows7 had so few issues -- almost single handedly!)

audball

Ideal_Rock
I hate that feeling, of not knowing the future. I definitely don't want DH to take something less than he already had in terms of responsibilities, etc. A lateral move minimum, certainly more would be preferable. But at the same time, we can't live on one income forever and at what point do you draw the line in the sand and say, nope...we've got take what we can get? Ugh. I hate this.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TP - didn't get a chance to post Friday...sorry!

I hope you both had a wonderful first wedding anniversary at the winery!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1413757029|3769540 said:
TP - didn't get a chance to post Friday...sorry!

I hope you both had a wonderful first wedding anniversary at the winery!

Thanks!

It was wonderful!

We left early enough to have a picnic lunch at the Wild Horse Monument (LINK until I can get a minute to post pictures) looking out over the Columbia River & gorge.
Got to the winery a few hours before check in time so we started with a 3+ hour wine tasting (tasted 10 or so wines) with some great people who remembered us from last year. We chatted about all sorts of cool stuff and even pulled out pictures of our cats & dogs (and they did too!) to share.

Had a bit of a shock at check in.... turns out my number reading on the little cell phone screen while under huge heaps of stress is a little less than perfect. What I read to be $349 all inclusive turned out to be $549.... Oh well. Close enough at that point not to care.

They upgraded us to a two bedroom and stuck us in the same room we had last year! Della is so awesome!!!

Chocolate covered strawberries & champagne waiting in the room for us. We had them plus some yummy cheeses & fresh bread (I brought those!) sitting in front of the fireplace looking down the gorge & river.

I had time for a soak in the giant tub before dinner. Dinner was unforgettable!
Fresh baked bread (French?) with balsamic & olive oil
First course of cheese, herbed crackers, the crispiest toasted almonds I've ever had, strawberry preserves, and blanc de blanc
Second course was spinach & fennel salad with a vinaigrette with the viognier
3rd was smoked tomato soup with chardonnay
main course was pan seared duck breast with a raspberry/wine drizzle and the cabernet franc
dessert was icecream (cinnamon for DH & chocolate for me) with the Riesling

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to run out mid story. Had to wrap up homework :knockout:

More time to lounge in front of the fire looking out at the lights in the distance at the few houses down the gorge.
DH got me a card and it was beautiful! (nothing written in it, but it was wonderful :)) )

I woke up to that beautiful view down the river/gorge. It was all foggy with a bit of misty rain. Just gorgeous!
Lounged around in the bath an on the patio and in front of the fire until time for breakfast.

Complimentary mimosas to celebrate our anniversary. (the lady at breakfast remembered us too and thought we'd enjoy!)

More time lounging in the room/patio. Finishing the strawberries.

Check out was at noon so we enjoyed until then.

Did our last wine tasting just after noon (after we'd checked out so we could linger and enjoy) and watched as the fog cleared and the sun came out. We talked with a couple who was looking at the venue for their upcoming wedding. I may have pulled out our pictures...

The ladies let us taste a super special "members only" wine that was open AND another tasting of the ice wine.

We ended up coming home with a bottle of ice wine (OMG, if you haven't had a true ice wine you have got to find one to taste!) and a really pretty framed picture/saying. I had about 6 hours total wandering around the artsy stuff they had for sale in the tasting area. There was a bracelet and this picture that I kept being drawn back to. When it came time to leave and I was sad that they may not have it when we go back again, DH decided that we ought to just get it so we can have something hanging in our home from our first anniversary.

Pics later. I've got a test on Tuesday and need to get caught up after taking Friday/Saturday completely off (plus most of Thursday and Sunday...)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results