shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about Watches

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm looking into getting a new watch, but I want it to be silver this time. My current watch is a Rolex datejust and I've had it for at least 25 years.

I like a couple of the Cartier watches, if anyone has one or knows if they're any good I'd like to hear about it. But the main question is automatic vs quartz movement. My Rolex is an automatic and I did like not having to replace a battery, but I read that quartz movement keeps better time than auto. I'm very confused now. For watch aficionados which is considered superior?

Thanks in advance.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like a couple of the Cartier watches, if anyone has one or knows if they're any good I'd like to hear about it. But the main question is automatic vs quartz movement. My Rolex is an automatic and I did like not having to replace a battery, but I read that quartz movement keeps better time than auto. I'm very confused now. For watch aficionados which is considered superior?

Thanks in advance.
A mechanical watch (no matter the brand) will always consider as more superior b/c of its craftsmanship. A quartz watch is a watch with a computer chip inside which of course will be more accurate than a mechanical movement.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm looking into getting a new watch, but I want it to be silver this time. My current watch is a Rolex datejust and I've had it for at least 25 years.

Thanks in advance.

I am confused. If your Rolex is an automatic it has no battery. As far as I know no Rolex has a battery...but I could be wrong. My Rolex is automatic and I wind it. No battery.

There are 2 categories to consider when answering your question: Superiority for accuracy. Quartz is superior for accurate time keeping.
Second category: Superiority in terms of craftsmanship is automatic. No question.
Just what @Dancing Fire said. He is correct.

Now as an additional complication: With an automatic you have to reset the time every time it runs out of power. That is inconvenient. With a quartz you have to replace the battery every couple of years. That is inconvenient. Unless it's like many Citizen watches which are quartz but solar powered. Quartz watch that doesn't need a battery. My DH wears a Solar Quartz Diver's watch from Citizen. His daily beater watch. He collects watches and has many high end watches but this is his daily go to watch to knock about town. Why? Because it is accurate and he never has to change the battery nor does he ever have to set it.

My DH loves an automatic but it is a pain. However he always chooses automatic/mechanical when he is getting dressed for work/dress occasions.

My Cartier is a quartz and it is a travesty it cost so much because it is a quartz movement.
My Rolex is automatic and it is a pain to keep setting the time. However I haven't worn any of my watches for over 6 years now. So I guess that is the real travesty. They are collecting dust in the safe. All my beautiful watches. Of which I have (too) many. :/

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am confused. If your Rolex is an automatic it has no battery. As far as I know no Rolex has a battery...but I could be wrong. My Rolex is automatic and I wind it. No battery.

There are 2 categories to consider when answering your question: Superiority for accuracy. Quartz is superior for accurate time keeping.
Second category: Superiority in terms of craftsmanship is automatic. No question.
Just what @Dancing Fire said. He is correct.

Now as an additional complication: With an automatic you have to reset the time every time it runs out of power. That is inconvenient. With a quartz you have to replace the battery every couple of years. That is inconvenient. Unless it's like many Citizen watches which are quartz but solar powered. Quartz watch that doesn't need a battery. My DH wears a Solar Quartz Diver's watch from Citizen. His daily beater watch. He collects watches and has many high end watches but this is his daily go to watch to knock about town. Why? Because it is accurate and he never has to change the battery nor does he ever have to set it.

My DH loves an automatic but it is a pain. However he always chooses automatic/mechanical when he is getting dressed for work/dress occasions.

My Cartier is a quartz and it is a travesty it cost so much because it is a quartz movement.
My Rolex is automatic and it is a pain to keep setting the time. However I haven't worn any of my watches for over 6 years now. So I guess that is the real travesty. They are collecting dust in the safe. All my beautiful watches. Of which I have (too) many. :/

Hi! What I meant was that liked NOT having to replace a battery - meaning the watch was automatic, no battery needed, and it was nice.

Why are you not wearing your watches? Quell horreur! Which Cartier watch do you have?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A mechanical watch (no matter the brand) will always consider as more superior b/c of its craftsmanship. A quartz watch is a watch with a computer chip inside which of course will be more accurate than a mechanical movement.

Thank you DF. That's basically what I wanted to know.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! What I meant was that liked NOT having to replace a battery - meaning the watch was automatic, no battery needed, and it was nice.

Why are you not wearing your watches? Quell horreur! Which Cartier watch do you have?

I have the Cartier Tank. It was a gift from my DH when we were in Milan during our honeymoon.

CA76211B-66D2-489C-B3DE-20C1718B3356.jpeg

I lost interest in wearing my watches after I broke my leg in 2014 as I was housebound. And then never had the desire to resume wear my beautiful watches. Probably one day I’ll want to start wear them again. That’s the way it goes.

Good luck with your quest. Hope you find the perfect watch for you.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, an automatic watch is always considered a superior timepiece and holds it value accordingly.
All the “top top” watches are automatics, not a quartz movement to be seen. There’s no craftsmanship in a computer chip and a button battery!
However, it can be a pain if you don’t have a watch winder (that’s a devices the gently shakes your watch to keep it wound) and don’t wear your watch for a few days. It needs resetting. That’s no big deal in my book!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't wear an auto watch very often but don't want the faff of resetting the time when you do wear it, you can buy a 'watch winder' which rotates the watch a number of times each day, meaning the winding rotor rotates and puts 'charge' into the mainspring, keeping it running :)

They are not too expensive (perhaps $50?).

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the Cartier Tank. It was a gift from my DH when we were in Milan during our honeymoon.

I lost interest in wearing my watches after I broke my leg in 2014 as I was housebound. And then never had the desire to resume wear my beautiful watches. Probably one day I’ll want to start wear them again. That’s the way it goes.

I think you should say to yourself that you will wear your favourite watch this week - either for a special occasion or as part of a coordinated outfit. That way you might fall back into the habit :) (although many people nowadays just rely on getting their phone out!)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I almost forgot - Rolex did make some quartz watches back in the 70s? 80s?, back when it was exciting new technology, IIRC:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don't wear an auto watch very often but don't want the faff of resetting the time when you do wear it, you can buy a 'watch winder' which rotates the watch a number of times each day, meaning the winding rotor rotates and puts 'charge' into the mainspring, keeping it running :)

Thank you
i never knew such a thing existed
We have had Gary's watch being looked at as it hasn't been worn im some years and its not keeping good time

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That depends it can go up to like $25k ;)). I have a mid range price triple head Orbita.

IMG_3218.JPG koi 074.jpg

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That depends it can go up to like $25k ;)). I have a mid range price triple head Orbita.

IMG_3218.JPG koi 074.jpg

A watch winder? I never knew these even existed. Perhaps I need to get one and I can stick one watch in while I'm not wearing it. I will not be paying $25k for it though! I decided on the automatic Cartier watch, since I dont want to deal with batteries, and the prevailing wisdom that automatic is better.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the picture with your kitty! He looks like my Ninja. I won't lie, I'm just buying this watch to distract me from the fact that my favorite little cat is dying of kidney failure. Probably not a good reason, but I feel like I've been punched in the gut this week. I broke a rib and had a death sentence delivered by the vet. We are trying to make him feel as comfortable and loved as we can during his last weeks.

20150716_190501.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the picture with your kitty! He looks like my Ninja. I won't lie, I'm just buying this watch to distract me from the fact that my favorite little cat is dying of kidney failure. Probably not a good reason, but I feel like I've been punched in the gut this week. I broke a rib and had a death sentence delivered by the vet. We are trying to make him feel as comfortable and loved as we can during his last weeks.

20150716_190501.jpg

I’m so sorry :(
Punched in the gut is exactly how it feels. My heart goes out to you.

We lost Francesca (kitty in photo I shared above) in June. Large cell lymphoma. From diagnosis to death was about 10 days. I still cry every day missing her so much and also crying every day over Fred. Then we lost our dear Fred from a chordae tendonae rupture in January. He had a good life and was 17. So there’s comfort in that. Francesca was only just 10. Suffice to say we miss them both terribly and I’ve just been getting through it one day at a time.

I hope you get to spend as much quality time with your sweet cat as possible. Sending you both buckets of healing dust and (((hugs))). And your cat knows how much he is loved and cherished and when the time comes you are giving him the ultimate gift. The gift of freedom from pain and giving him peace.

(((Hugs))).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A watch winder? I never knew these even existed. Perhaps I need to get one and I can stick one watch in while I'm not wearing it. I will not be paying $25k for it though! I decided on the automatic Cartier watch, since I dont want to deal with batteries, and the prevailing wisdom that automatic is better.
You can buy a winder for < $100.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

20150716_190501.jpg

Im so sorry to hear this
Tibby sends you all a big cuddy hug
20191204_191903.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Automatic" Rolex?????
I still have, love, & wear the Rolex date just self-winding watch I bought in the 1980s.

I don't really keep up.
Is self-winding what the kids are calling "automatic" these days?
Or is there some new technology I'm unaware of?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Automatic" Rolex?????
I still have, love, & wear the Rolex date just self-winding watch I bought in the 1980s.

I don't really keep up.
Is self-winding what the kids are calling "automatic" these days?
Or is there some new technology I'm unaware of?
AFAIK self-winding and auto means the same. The watch on top is a manual wind (no rotor) and the watch on the bottom is an automatic. Notice the gold rotor on the auto watch?

DSCN0711.JPG

Here is another auto winding watch.Notice the gold rotor?

DSCN0144.JPG

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_3218.JPG koi 074.jpg

DF, I think you and my father are basically the same person, but you have much nicer watches!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AFAIK self-winding and auto means the same. The watch on top is a manual wind (no rotor) and the watch on the bottom is an automatic. Notice the gold rotor on the auto watch?

DSCN0711.JPG

Here is another auto winding watch.Notice the gold rotor?

DSCN0144.JPG

Very cool photos. Those watches look expensive lol.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Every hug helps.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry :(
Punched in the gut is exactly how it feels. My heart goes out to you.

We lost Francesca (kitty in photo I shared above) in June. Large cell lymphoma. From diagnosis to death was about 10 days. I still cry every day missing her so much and also crying every day over Fred. Then we lost our dear Fred from a chordae tendonae rupture in January. He had a good life and was 17. So there’s comfort in that. Francesca was only just 10. Suffice to say we miss them both terribly and I’ve just been getting through it one day at a time.

I hope you get to spend as much quality time with your sweet cat as possible. Sending you both buckets of healing dust and (((hugs))). And your cat knows how much he is loved and cherished and when the time comes you are giving him the ultimate gift. The gift of freedom from pain and giving him peace.

(((Hugs))).

Thank you, this made me cry.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well this is what I decided to get, a Ballon Bleu automatic with a stainless steel band. I tend to like my watches rather bland without diamonds. My Rolex is 18kt/stainless with the mixed metal band. I've been segregating my jewelry lately with white metals on the left and rose gold on the right, and I wanted a watch that would go. I still love the Rolex though.

20200225_160231.jpg 20200225_155956.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well this is what I decided to get, a Ballon Bleu automatic with a stainless steel band. I tend to like my watches rather bland without diamonds. My Rolex is 18kt/stainless with the mixed metal band. I've been segregating my jewelry lately with white metals on the left and rose gold on the right, and I wanted a watch that would go. I still love the Rolex though.

What a lovely hand shot, @doberman. I love the bracelets with your new watch (and the e-ring and wedding ring too). Very classy and looks great on you.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new watch, so gorgeous--it looks great with your bracelets! And I'm so sorry about your fur baby...hang in there.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sarahb @Garnetgirl

Thank you! I'm a pretty simple person and my jewelry is rather bland compared to many people here, but it suits me.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great choice :)

It goes really well with your skin tone and other jewellery!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this watch on you @doberman, wonderful choice. Enjoy. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results