shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for those who used a XYRON machine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Is the adhesive forgiving? By that I mean, do you have room for placement error; can you move it around a bit? I want to affix my white text weight paper to a flat card without wrinkles etc and hear using the Xyron is the way to go. However, I''m nervous that I won''t get the layers lined up perfectly and then have it set crookedly and that would make me very unhappy.

If it isn''t forgiving and once you stick your paper to something then it sets almost immediately, then would a glue stick (or some other adhesive...recommendations?) work too? I think text weight paper from papersource is 70lb weight so it wouldn''t be like glue sticking copy paper to card stock (I think).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
The sticky part gets on the paper and looks terrible. Not forgiving either. Use rubber cement. Also 70lb COVER and 70lb TEXT are very different. Make sure you are ordering what you really want.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2007 9:53:50 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
The sticky part gets on the paper and looks terrible. Not forgiving either. Use rubber cement. Also 70lb COVER and 70lb TEXT are very different. Make sure you are ordering what you really want.
I would be adhering 70lb Text paper to a cover weight (whatever that means?) flat card. I don''t know if that specifies my question or not. Maybe you can help me clarify?

So, it sounds like you''ve used an Xyron and it does not have favorable results. You would prefer rubber cement to adhere 70lb Text to cover weight paper. Do I have that right?

Thank you for your comments and advice!

tulipcloud

Shiny_Rock
The glue can get on to the paper, but I was able to rub it out fairly easily. I have also used the Xyron adhesive tape and that works really well too and less expensive than the machine. You can reposition it if you happen to put it down wrong before you rub it down.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Text weight is thin, cover weight is like coverstock, thicker. I don''t know your design but if it was to be glued I would use spray adhesive (in spray paint type bottle) but it can be messy and very smelly or rubber cement. I have NEVER had a wrinkle with RC and I went to art school so I had to matte a lot of stuff. Otherwise I would use grommets in the corners but then again that is more my personal style.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
TAcori: Ok! thanx for the clarification. I ordered plenty of extra so maybe I''ll try my hand at a few different techniques. I''ll use a Xyron as a last result as that apparently would cost alot more than RC and the tape that Tulip suggested! I can''t wait to put these together :)

ps. I thought 70lb paper was ALOT heavier than my regular copy paper at home? I think my copy paper is like 20lb........so when I heard it was 70lb, I thought I was getting really nice moderately heavy but not too heavy that you couldn''t run it thru your printer kinda paper. Yikes! I hope I didn''t order the wrong thing. I went from what they outline in thier DIY kits. It always listed the printed layer as "text paper".

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been using an adhesive runner on some mockups I''m making. I ordered a bunch of different samples of invites to pick what I like. They put down little dots of glue and it''s less messy than rubber cement. I know that My Gatsby invitations specifically say not to use rubber cement because it can bleed through some papers. That all depends on what supplies you use though. Just test a bunch of stuff before you make them all!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It WILL bleed if you put it on thick. I used removeable glue dots on my STD but never permanent so I can''t comment on that. 70lb text will feel more like resume paper than computer but it is much thinner than cardstock. I think the best thing thing to do is to test out different products.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, it really sounds like I need to play around a bit with adhesives. I''ve heard a few different options now that have worked for others so I guess it''s just hard to tell. To summarize, my options are:

Rubber cement?
Glue dots?
Glue sticks?
Xyron machine?
The adhesive w/o the Xyron?
Grommets?

I don''t want to be repetitive but it helps me to make a list so when I go to Joanns I can ask them what they think, too......

Did I forget anything?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Grommets are little metal eyelets that attach in the corner (most of the time). I had them on my invitations. They are a completely different look than what you are going for (I think). I just mentioned it b/c there are different ways to attach paper (ribbon is very popular as well).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results