shape
carat
color
clarity

question about shawls/ponchos etc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My outerwear consists of a grey wool coat when it is cold, and a Land''s end polatec jacket for milder days. I would love to have something pretty, feminine to wear when for nights out. The first thing thought was a velvet or cordoroy jacket, but just haven''t seen one I''ve fallen in love with, so mulling other choices. So, thinking about something less structured, for example one thing I am considering is a pashmina shawl, or some kind of modified poncho. Are shawls going out of style, or if I buy a $60-80 one will I get my money''s worth? The same question for ponchos. If I got it it would probably be in some kind of neutral, either camel or charcol.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
wraps are classic as are trench coats so those would be my choice. A poncho conjures up an image of a tourist on vacation...not a glam night out image IMO.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
You just can''t go wrong with a nice wrap.

I used to buy cheapie ones (the $10 variety you get on Canal St. in NYC), but decided to "invest" in a couple of nicer ones. I scrounged the internet and ebay, and ended up buying from Zenjen on ebay. I don''t think she has an ebay store, so here''s a link to one of her auctions: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pashmina-Shawl-Wrap-LOT-OF-3-pashminas-shawls_W0QQitemZ390028547239QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item390028547239&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308

the quality is great- they''re plush and NICE! And she offers them in a ton of colors.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charger thanks for the link. I was also thinking of a wrap because my office can run cool and think that may look nicer than having a Mr. Rogers sweater laying around. I should get my tax refund in the next week or so, and will look in more earnest then.

rockin11

Shiny_Rock
I have really enjoyed wearing my wraps/shawls. There is a store locally that carries the yummiest cashmere wraps!! They have 2 locations. The owner said that at their location in Minneapolis that a lot of the big name reporters came in and bought many of them during the republican convention. She said they went crazy over them! Personally I wear mine all the time. They are perfect to dress up or down. I even wear them in my pj''s if I get cold in the house. I have 4 in basic colors but she also has other fun colors too. They are not listed on her website www.odaycache.com but you can call and get more info and she drop ships as well. Let me know if you are interested and I will post her name and info so you can ask for her directly. HTH!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rockin for your recommendation, that looks like a cool store. I looked up the pashminas on the ebay site, and they look great, just that I can''t decide on a color. There''s alot of colors I like but not one that''s that''s IT, that''s the color I want! And strangely enough maybe being a child of the 70''s still think it would be fun to get a poncho; there are a number of cute ones I saw on overstock. I am kind of leaning towards either a poncho or jacket because sometimes when go out on dates we ride our bikes and a shawl though pretty would be problematic. I''m going to wait on this until I see something I know I want.

rockin11

Shiny_Rock
Its way larger and different than a pashmina(much thicker too). Maybe it would be considered a poncho? I don''t know??LOL It is just so much more..I will try and post pics soon. (can you tell I am obsessed?.i am on my 4th one!) :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes post pics, love to see them!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I ordered a jacket off the internet (J Jill cashmere cotton jacket). I really like the way it is cut amd it''s length but I''m disappointed because the color I really wanted (shale) is sold out, and so getting it in this berry (cassis) color. I don''t wear real bright colors, so I''m afraid it may be too bright for me and may return it. But what do you all think?

701022_AXX.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s another picture, of the back (though it won''t be in this color)

701022_CS2jacket.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update, I got the jacket and it''s pretty and don''t mind the color, but seems too big on me. I think I''m going to try 1 more time to get the right size. We have a J Jill store nearby so I''m hoping to go by the store this weekend and see what they have and I can return the items there as well.

I showed my 6 year old the pashminas on ebay and she thought I should get the light aqua/power blue color, the ones I picked out are "too dark". She cracks me up. She is very sure of what she likes, puts together her own outfits, and to tell you the truth has better fashion sense than me! Don''t think I can do that color, though it is pretty.

spent 4 hours updating spreadsheets and brain is numb...

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reordered the jacket in two other sized (small, small petite) and don''t fit right either (too tight in shoulders), plus they were more of a winter weight than spring weight. While I''ve been going through this search many acquantinces who tell me how they got this great jacket for $25 at the outlet, or one at Marshalls, etc. So the search continues.
I was thinking of ordering one of the pashminas on ebay, but reading the other thread has gotten me leery.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 8:06:35 AM
Author: part gypsy
Reordered the jacket in two other sized (small, small petite) and don't fit right either (too tight in shoulders), plus they were more of a winter weight than spring weight. While I've been going through this search many acquantinces who tell me how they got this great jacket for $25 at the outlet, or one at Marshalls, etc. So the search continues.
I was thinking of ordering one of the pashminas on ebay, but reading the other thread has gotten me leery.
Are you referring to my thread? I ordered my pashmina from the seller that Chargergirl recommended to you. I should have it in a couple of days if you want to know about the quality. This is probably the most I would want to spend on an ebay Pashmina since apparently the authenticity can't be guaranteed. But for $30 or so, I just want something soft and that looks well made.

ETA: It seems this seller has frequent sales so I got mine on sale and with free shipping. It wasn't a bad price just to see if I like them.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes let me know you can be my guinea pig!
1.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I recieved my pashmina today! Its soft, but I honestly think I could have gotten something just as nice for cheaper. I went ahead and ordered 2 more from 2 different ebay sellers so I can compare them all. This one is a pashmina/silk blend while these next 2 are 100% cashmere. The ones I ordered today were about $8 including shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results