shape
carat
color
clarity

Q about polishing sterling/plated flatware

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some sterling flatware pieces that are very tarnished. The handles are silver and the tines/blades are gold plated, can I put them in my regular silver polish bath? I don't want to damage - or strip! - the plating..

ETA: the engraving hollows are black - baking soda did absolutely nothing
40.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you just dip the handles in and not the blades?

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm there are a few, but w/o seeing it is hard...I'd try making a paste of cornstarch and water and spread it on one piece, let dry and wipe clean with a dry cloth, gentle enough to try. Good Luck!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea, please post and let us know what works:=)

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I know that Crate & Barrel sold a flatware polish, but not sure if it is different from regular silver polish.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I used paste silver polish on mine. I don''t think you''re supposed to do it very often, so I keep mine in rolls made out of silver cloth that keep it from tarnishing.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Task accomplished!!

I let them and a bunch of other stuff soak in baking soda and cornstarch and hot water for about three hours, then another hour in "Orange Tang" (I will never ever ever drink that stuff again - not after seeing the way it shines brass
23.gif
32.gif
), and everything but the handles sparkled like crazy so I used regular ol' silver paste and a linen towl.

Some definitely got on the blades but I don't see any damage so I think it's fine, as long as it's not a regular procedure
1.gif

Then I put some tang in the dishwasher and ran it empty, and it sparkles too. Crazy!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I no idea Tang was good for that:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results