shape
carat
color
clarity

PS''ers with big diamonds... DSS?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I am sure both of us are going to be very happy. You get the stone you want with specs you want but bigger and I finally get a hearts and arrows stone again!
Thanks for changing your mind.
When I saw the numbers on this stone (17), I thought right away that I had to get this stone. I even called mrssalvo to get her advice. And skippy too. I really felt it was for me. I am wierd about numbers and if it did not have that number in it or on the cert, I would never have wanted it at all.
When I upgraded in June they had an aca that was 2.4 I VS2 priced less than the non aca I got instead and I did not want it because the non aca had the numbers in the cert that I liked. I know wierd.
What setting did you decide on? I am having it set in a harmony setting that I got from someone here. They are redoing the head with the legato but they have to do a wax because I want the head a certain way.
Can the head on your u prong be changed out with a bigger head? The stone in the harmony setting was 6 mm round so there was a size difference. Maybe they can just retip the prongs? You can wear that until you decided on your permanent setting.

1.gif

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I havent completely decided on a setting yet, which has been a big part of my problem. Whiteflash said they couldnt change the head of my ring because it
was all one piece, and they would even credit me for the platinum (even a couple hundred dollars) toward a new one. Brian, on the other hand, said he couldn''t
give me a w-prong but he would try to cut off the head and replace it if he could. He will have to look at it first.

I am going today to see a tacori show at a local Robbin Brothers, but I think the settings are too light weight for my taste. I am pretty hard on jewelry. I really
like Jack Kelege but his setting is 10K (and that is at a discount). I am considering having Brian make a similar one. I also like Reena''s ring, that is a Leon.
If Brian can do something with my solitare, I will probably go with that for a couple months at least. Spending 25K now, is a little scary too me. My husbands
job is pretty secure, since he is a firefighter and has been on the job for 25 years, but still. I am so looking forward getting a bigger diamond, but spending
huge amounts of money is not too comfortable to me, Thus, the hesitation. My stone is coming from antwerp and I haven''t even seen pictures yet. It should
come in on Monday. Then it has to go to AGS. So it is not a for sure thing just yet. But I totally trust Lesley and Brian, and especially Lesley''s opinion, which is
how I bought my first stone.

Now I wear my solitare with a five stone band and a 2.31 eternity as well. I like the three band look, but I also like to change it up. I think this is harder than
picking a house! I am usually so decisive but this really throws me! With a halo, I would probably go down to one ring. But will I love it forever? Don''t know.

I so cant wait to see your ring! I actually have never posted pics of my first one. I am so totally lame in that department. I tried once but the file was too big
and my son said I had to have a program to re-size on a mac, so I have never sat down and figured it out.

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 6:41:07 PM
Author: elzny

Date: 4/25/2009 12:24:22 AM
Author: plethora23

Thanks Elzny! I think if you have the diamond raised up a little in the setting it would tend to blend less with the halo. Just a thought.
Thanks P! I agree. I''ve been browsing around on PS hoping to find some radiant with halos, I saw this one : https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-custom-whiteflash-engagement-ring.59481/, I don''t know if it''s the picture - it looks a bit too blended in with halo
Then I saw this one: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/veronicas-dream-cushion-finally-finds-a-home.113544/, I know it''s a cushion but it seems to be a cushion modified look (more crushed ice) so it''s closer to radiant. It''s a bit more contrasty... It''ll take some time to decide what to do
9.gif
I just kept trying on rings until I found something I loved that would show off my diamond. You''ll know when you find the one. I ended up not going custom (Leon or Maytal) because I''m just such a comfort girl that I didn''t like the idea of getting something that I had never tried on. I find many rings uncomfortable to wear...especially if they rub up against my other fingers.

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 10:06:51 PM
Author: luv2sparkle
Oh Bebe- I am soo sorry you are not happy with the size of your stone. It is a freakin beautiful ring, regardless. I truly have not seen many prettier. You need to
love it everytime you look at it though. There is nothing worse than looking at your hand and not being totally thrilled with it. I hope you will be able to find a
stone that will be able to be modified in your setting that you love!

Plethora, I love your ring! I dont know how I missed it! I think I may go for that setting as well. Do you think the little diamonds on the inside of the main stone
make a big difference in sparkle? I remember when I looked at it in person it did, but I kind of put it on the back burner because of the cost, but I am upgrading
on last time and I think I may go for it. I considered having Brian make me a custom look-a-like for less but Kelege''s workmanship is heirloom quality. What do
you think?
Thanks luv2sparkle! I love
30.gif
it too!

The diamonds on the inside do make a difference in that the ring sparkles from every angle...but the pattern is really more for me than anyone else. People just see the sparkle not the pattern of the imperial crown unless you take it off and show someone. The workmanship is amazing and I could not find anything else in person that even came close. I''ve worn it everyday since last August with no problems. The pave work is fantastic!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2009 8:14:14 PM

Oh Bebe- I am soo sorry you are not happy with the size of your stone. It is a freakin beautiful ring, regardless. I truly have not seen many prettier. You need to
love it everytime you look at it though. There is nothing worse than looking at your hand and not being totally thrilled with it. I hope you will be able to find a

Plethora, I love your ring! I dont know how I missed it! I think I may go for that setting as well. Do you think the little diamonds on the inside of the main stone
make a big difference in sparkle? I remember when I looked at it in person it did, but I kind of put it on the back burner because of the cost, but I am upgrading
on last time and I think I may go for it. I considered having Brian make me a custom look-a-like for less but Kelege''s workmanship is heirloom quality. What do
you think?
30.gif
it too!

The diamonds on the inside do make a difference in that the ring sparkles from every angle...but the pattern is really more for me than anyone else. People just see the sparkle not the pattern of the imperial crown unless you take it off and show someone. The workmanship is amazing and I could not find anything else in person that even came close. I''ve worn it everyday since last August with no problems. The pave work is fantastic!
Have to say, I love plethora''s ring.
Now I''m off to find your pics...

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 11:04:30 PM
Wanna see over 20ct of diamonds on my un-manicured, paper-cut, dry hand???
36.gif

On my pinky is my 3ct radiant. Then L to R, top to bottom:
5.05 cushion - beautiful big facets,
5.09 cushion - higher crown, hence smaller looking but also beautiful,
5.00 radiant - big table, a bit glassy looking, lack of some height,
5.14 radiant - more traditional cut, very crushed ice look
It was a moment in life that I wish could freeze & last forever!!
10.gif

All my DH could think of is how many Ferraris these could buy. Sigh... guys, they just don''t get it...
38.gif
OMG...lucky!!! We should meet up sometime. I just can''t bring myself to go look around in the diamond district by myself. lol...

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/26/2009 8:28:30 PM
Author: bebe

Date: 4/26/2009 8:14:14 PM

you think?
30.gif
it too!

Have to say, I love plethora''s ring.
Now I''m off to find your pics...
Thanks again Bebe! You know, I think the grass is alway greener on the other side... Before my re-set I was longing for a cushion. I love
30.gif
your ring! I find it classic and elegant! People on PS have the most beautiful rings because we are all connoisseurs here. I don''t see anything close to the amazing rings I''ve seen here in real life.

elzny

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/26/2009 8:09:59 PM
I just kept trying on rings until I found something I loved that would show off my diamond. You'll know when you find the one. I ended up not going custom (Leon or Maytal) because I'm just such a comfort girl that I didn't like the idea of getting something that I had never tried on. I find many rings uncomfortable to wear...especially if they rub up against my other fingers.
Thanks P for the advice! I didn't think of that - now that you mentioned, I remember I tried on some Tacori rings before and found them a bit chunky & uncomfortable - not nearly as delicate as they appear in their ads. I think lingering on PS makes it easy to get "sucked into" this whole custom made thing cause you see so many beautiful rings here.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 12:12:39 PM

I just kept trying on rings until I found something I loved that would show off my diamond. You''ll know when you find the one. I ended up not going custom (Leon or Maytal) because I''m just such a comfort girl that I didn''t like the idea of getting something that I had never tried on. I find many rings uncomfortable to wear...especially if they rub up against my other fingers.
Thanks P for the advice! I didn''t think of that - now that you mentioned, I remember I tried on some Tacori rings before and found them a bit chunky & uncomfortable - not nearly as delicate as they appear in their ads. I think lingering on PS makes it easy to get ''sucked into'' this whole custom made thing cause you see so many beautiful rings here.
Really? I have a tacori setting and I think its actually quite delicate. I guess there is always room for improvement though.

elzny

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/27/2009 3:46:20 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
Date: 4/27/2009 12:12:39 PM

Thanks P for the advice! I didn''t think of that - now that you mentioned, I remember I tried on some Tacori rings before and found them a bit chunky & uncomfortable - not nearly as delicate as they appear in their ads. I think lingering on PS makes it easy to get ''sucked into'' this whole custom made thing cause you see so many beautiful rings here.

Really? I have a tacori setting and I think its actually quite delicate. I guess there is always room for improvement though.
EM1- it was a while back in a mall near me - maybe it was a bad batch? Your ring is TO DIE FOR!!!
9.gif
Yes - let''s definitely meet up some time to try on some little monsters on 47th!!
36.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
elzny...I so need a partner in crime for that cause I am just to chicken to do it by myself. Why...IDN...maybe because I''m scared I''ll want something bigger. lol.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 10:55:26 PM
Musey - glad you enjoyed the pix! :D

bebe - the 3.22 rec rd one, if I recall correctly, has a table of >70% & was a shallow cut, that''s why we didn''t choose it. It didn''t bling as much as my square one. It does look very big though I have to say.
36.gif

Gaby - which cushion you like better - the more oval one or the more square one? When I was searching, I only knew I didn''t want round or princess, so I looked at a lot of fancies. Asscher needs more depth for the step cuts, usually it''s around 75% depth!! so a lot of weight is hidden underneath. Round is ideally 57%. 2.5ct round will look much much bigger than a 2.5 asscher, but you will pay much more for that round too - cause what they charge you partially is also determined by the rough required to yield a 2.5 round. They will have to grind off more rough for a round...

Check out my ring against a 4ct round with strong fluorescence. I think this must be a bad cut round, cause it doesn''t look that much bigger...

I think I like the cushion more oval than the square one. I actually not sure what my hubby was talking about at the moment, like you said, depending of the cut the price is different. For his budget, I had the option of a 2ct round, 2.5ct asscher or 2.8 cushion. I''m not sure if was a square or a oval. I went to different stores looking to try this size of stone. But I was not able to try on a big cushion, they only one they had was a 2cts. Asscher is very pretty, but does not shine as much as brilliant cuts and looks so much more smaller. I decided I wanted a brialliant cut, but i dont like princess, pear, heart and oval. So I start getting very confuse, so I decided to be safe with a round, that I knew I will love it. At the end my hubby surprise me with a 2.2 round brilliant, that I love. I don''t know If I had tried in that 2.8 cushion would had changed my mind. But I think we made a good decision. Because I love how much my ring shine
30.gif
30.gif

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 11:26:59 PM
Date: 4/23/2009 3:25:49 PM

Date: 4/23/2009 2:21:23 PM

My ring against my friend''s .97ct round with halo - an HOA setting. It looks just as big as my 3-ct...
Well that is one super thick halo! I still think yours looks bigger though
9.gif

Thanks Plethora23!
9.gif
My friend & I got our rings around the same time. I wanted a setting that''s as simple as possible, and she wanted something as elaborate as possible - she was totally into all the Tacori & Verragio styles. This halo she ended up with was actually relatively simple. But now I have to say I want something more ''complex'' looking!
9.gif
Did you get your 3ct round reset into that jack kelege setting? That thing must cover your entire figure!! I''m seriously thinking of having mine reset into a halo by Leon or Maytal... The more elaborate the better!!
36.gif

Check out below another friend of mine with a +/-1.4ct princess with a halo. Her friend is a jewelry designer, and made this ring for her. Beautifully done. With the halo it looks the same size as mine...

elsny, I love your ring, I think is one of the most beautiful ones around here, I would not change it at all.
9.gif

elzny

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2009 3:47:13 PM
Author: gaby06
Date: 4/22/2009 10:55:26 PM
I think I like the cushion more oval than the square one. I actually not sure what my hubby was talking about at the moment, like you said, depending of the cut the price is different. For his budget, I had the option of a 2ct round, 2.5ct asscher or 2.8 cushion. I''m not sure if was a square or a oval. I went to different stores looking to try this size of stone. But I was not able to try on a big cushion, they only one they had was a 2cts. Asscher is very pretty, but does not shine as much as brilliant cuts and looks so much more smaller. I decided I wanted a brialliant cut, but i dont like princess, pear, heart and oval. So I start getting very confuse, so I decided to be safe with a round, that I knew I will love it. At the end my hubby surprise me with a 2.2 round brilliant, that I love. I don''t know If I had tried in that 2.8 cushion would had changed my mind. But I think we made a good decision. Because I love how much my ring shine
30.gif
30.gif
Thanks Gaby! 2.2ct round should look the same size (if not bigger) than a 2.8 cushion. I twirl my ring with my sister''s round at the same time, round blings more indeed!!

elzny

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2009 4:13:14 PM
Author: gaby06

Check out below another friend of mine with a +/-1.4ct princess with a halo. Her friend is a jewelry designer, and made this ring for her. Beautifully done. With the halo it looks the same size as mine...

elsny, I love your ring, I think is one of the most beautiful ones around here, I would not change it at all.
9.gif
[/quote]
Thanks Gaby for your kind words. My sister has been trying to talk me out of it as well. So I''m putting the "project" on hold for now. Honestly, after trying those gigantic 5-ct monsters, I feel my 3-ct size is just what I could handle.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results