shape
carat
color
clarity

Promise Ring or Enagment Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smmcintyre

Rough_Rock
Promise Ring or Engagement ring.

I am 25 years old and my girlfriend whom I have been seeing for 2 years is 26. The hints are definatley out from both sides as to getting married. I want this just as much as she does. However, recently we have attented two weddings and in the process of attenting another one. All of which she has been in the bridal party. This is putting a lot of pressure on me to expidite my “plan”.

So here is my delima.

A. Propose to her on a 7 day cruise we have been planning, at a formal dinner wearing a suite, in November
B. Propose to her in July on her birthday where I plan on suprising her with a limo waiting to take us to dinner, and then to a hotel on the beach here in Ft. Lauderdale.

Sounds simple enough?

Recently her best friend got enagaged and was given a 2.5 carat diamond. It is huge and looks pretensious for lack of a better word. I know my girlfriend does not want a 2+ carat ring, nor could I afford one. But, deep down I know she wants a 1 carat princess cut diamond. (she really isn’t knolwegable on clarity/color)

Here is my problem

With option (B) I do not have enough time to finish saving 2500.00+ for buying a nice 1 carat engagement ring. Even with cutting the plan for taking here to dinner, limo, hotel for the night is only going to save me 500 bucks. I do have enough to follow through in my surprise plan and buy a ¼ carat promise ring.

With option (A) I will have enough money and time to afford the ring that both I really want to get her. Don’t misunderstand. This is about what I want to get her. Not so much what she expects. Problem with Option A is that it does not take place for many months, and we have been living together for two years, and I really want to give her a symbol so to speak sooner then that.

So what experiences have you had in the past with a promise ring? Does it go on the right hand? Has anyone bought a cladagh ring (Irish Tradition)? What about engraving the inside of the bad with “Ti Amo” (for I love you)?

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Hotel on the beach here in Ft. Lauderdale
1.gif
Im going to be staying at a resort there on the beach , flying down for just the weekend from the Midwest to Scuba dive
1.gif

Get engaged, it goes on the left hand, what ever you can afford and explain it to her, she will understand. I meet people that are very well off and they have a 1/4 carat diamond, they say its what we started with
1.gif
No shame in humble beginings, I was there
1.gif

niki

Rough_Rock
Any way to put it on the credit card for a few months while you save up?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with plan A. Everything comes to he who waits. You could buy her a promise ring and tell her you are saving for the engagement ring, then surprise her later.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What about giving her a really pretty but inexpensive colored stone--amethyst, pearl, garnet, something like that, depending on her taste--to wear while you save up for the engagement ring of your dreams? That way she'll be more likely to want to wear it afterwards, too.

mel

Rough_Rock
Which hand are you suppose to wear a promise ring?
confused.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Have you gotten the feeling that she is looking for an engagement ring soon? If she's in no rush, I'd wait for plan A and save for the perfect ring. If you think she is getting a little anxious (been there myself), I like plan B with a promise ring. I would go with something other than a diamond though. A simple design with a personal message engraved inside sounds perfect! As far as the Claddagh, they are lovely. Are your Irish?

DiamondLil

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I was in your boat! My finace and I were dating, but moving in... we knew where it was headed, but he had just finished paying off a very expensive car, and it was either that and a small ring (which I WANTED!) but he decided to give me a promise ring until he could save up for the ring he would be proud to put on my finger.

For some guys, it's also about getting their girl an impressive ring they could show their friends and family and puff their chest out. Hee hee... But the promise ring I got was a pretty WG tiffany's ring that he chose without my input. I LOVE IT!!! I wore it on my left hand to "hold the place" as he said. When I finally got my e-ring, I now wear it on my right ring finger.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany's has some nice silver rings under $200...Using the search feature set to $200 and under gives you four pages worth...

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item.asp?channel=&c_id=WEB1&c_it=66K2&search=yes&keyword=&attribute=14&category=14&lowprice=0&highprice=201&chunk=5&searchType=3&jewelry=14&metal=s14&jewelryIndex=&collectionsIndex=&metalIndex=&stoneIndex=&priceIndex=&homeIndex=&sLowPrice=&sHighPrice=&collections=&stone=&home=&start_id=1&quantity=1&item_size_selected=0

Here's one that is cute, and can always be used as a stackable ring later on....also it's sort of wedding bandish. I know it comes in WG and silver, also with a diamond in it...

Tiffs sapphire stackable.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Here's the silver version of my promise ring, which I have to say is great for Sasquatch fingers like mine, since it's nice and hefty. It's a great ring, and the ONLY reason I suggest Tiffany's is because you can get any ring that is semi precious for about $200, but for the same price or less you can get it in silver and it can be the precious "TIFFANY" name, which girls all over still swoon over.

It's impressive to give as a promise, but (IMHO) a bit extravagant to give as an e-ring...Just my $.02! Good luck!!! and START SAVING. When you come back, we'll help you get a nice bargain!

Tiffs silver signature ring.jpg

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results