shape
carat
color
clarity

Pretend Op-Ed re Kim K

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Haha ok, so this is completely random, but the other thread about Kim K and Marilyn's dress reminded me that I was inspired to write a pretend op-ed about Kim after seeing some articles about her "work" advice. And since it is never actually going to be published, I figured I would post it here for fun :D

FOR THE LOVE OF PETE, STOP FOLLOWING THE KARDASHIANS

Enough is enough. I vaguely recall when the Kardashians ushered in a new era of reality TV, which at the time seemed relatively harmless, if obviously vapid.

Those days are long gone. We now live in a culture where smartphones and social media dominate our lives, despite the fact that everyone knows how toxic and addicting sites like Instagram are. We all know this. We all need to just PUT OUR PHONES DOWN.

If you're still reading, though, it should be incomprehensible that Kim Kardashian has hundreds of millions of Instagram followers and fans, as if she deserves to be held up as some kind of icon. It should be further incomprehensible that Kim is asked to opine on anything other than the subjects on which she has expertise: plastic surgery, filters, photoshop, angles, and talking while keeping the rest of your face perfectly still to avoid—the horror—wrinkles.

In case you missed it, Kim et al. are featured in a recent Variety article where Kim—with the conviction of someone making a revolutionary and profound observation—said: "I have the best advice for women in business. Get your ****ing ass up and work. It seems like nobody wants to work these days." Kim apparently finds no irony in following that statement with: “We don’t have to sing or dance or act; we get to live our lives – and hey, we made it. I don’t know what to tell you.”

This should not require a response, right? Every non-idiot gets how idiotic, out of touch, and incredibly offensive Kim’s statement is. E.g., does Kim know any working moms who had to figure out how to do their jobs while also homeschooling their kids during the pandemic? Does Kim know any working women who hold down multiple jobs to support their families? Does Kim know anything about anything?

Probably not. Hey, Kim: most working moms with four young kids would not have been able to devote "10 hours" a day to studying for the baby bar exam once, much less four times. In the absence of unlimited resources and an army of nannies, cooks, housekeepers, and assistants to handle the inconvenient details of real life, it's tough to pursue a vanity project.

Instead of business advice, maybe Variety should have asked Kim exactly how many peach and fire emojis are required to sustain a Kardashian—like, would they all just collapse into a heap of fat transfers and Botox if they stopped posting on Instagram? If you get a BBL but don't post your ass on Instagram, do you even exist at all?

Or maybe, Variety shouldn't have asked Kim any questions on any topic whatsoever. Maybe no one needs to hear thoughts (using that word loosely) from the woman who has single-handedly done more to push impossible beauty standards and a toxic obsession with physical appearance than anyone else in the history of humankind.

Here's a crazy thought: maybe what someone looks like should be the least important thing about them.

Maybe, women who make an effort to look good naked (if they want to) and then put on real clothes, with real shoes that are not part of their pants, and do real jobs are the ones who deserve respect and praise, like healthcare workers, teachers, first responders, scientists, engineers, and basically any occupation other than "influencer."

Maybe we should all agree not to watch the Kardashian’s new show on Hulu, so Kim can focus on “work” other than just “living her life.”

In summary, I can’t be the only one who thinks that Kim, not Pete, is the one dating up.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a Kim fan either. Do people really like her/ her clan or it is more of train wreck situation where you can't look away?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Instead of business advice, maybe Variety should have asked Kim exactly how many peach and fire emojis are required to sustain a Kardashian—like, would they all just collapse into a heap of fat transfers and Botox if they stopped posting on Instagram? If you get a BBL but don't post your ass on Instagram, do you even exist at all?
I don't know if it's my insomnia, but this made me full on snort laugh so loudly I was embarrassed for myself. I saw it. Floompf.
Nepotism babies. The End.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow great op-ed.
Personally I pay 0 attention to them.
When someone mentions them im like who? until oh them floats to the top.

+1

I even feel bad about posting this.
Even critical attention feeds the monster.
(As they say, the only bad publicity is NO publicity)

I see her much like I see the orange one.
Those two get only half the blame for their revolting Sh!t Shows.
The other half of the blame goes to lovely Murkans who worship them. :knockout:

Last edited:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
@Karl_K @kenny -- yeah, I freely admit I know way too much about the Kardashians! Writing this was a bit like therapy, and I've resolved never to click on another story about that family again. But it's crazy how frequently I see them pop up in the news, and I feel like their thirsty, narcissistic attitudes have greatly contributed to the state of American "culture" today...

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if it's my insomnia, but this made me full on snort laugh so loudly I was embarrassed for myself. I saw it. Floompf.
Nepotism babies. The End.

Lol - I just don't get how many times one needs to post a (heavily edited) picture of themselves in a string bikini....same goes for most other influencers I guess. I'm not on Instagram anymore, but I feel like there should just be an auto-caption button for "Look at me / tell me how hot I am" so people can just skip the other captions they come up with.

Last edited:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a Kim fan either. Do people really like her/ her clan or it is more of train wreck situation where you can't look away?

I feel like they do have real fans! Which is crazy to me. And they definitely have real money from all of their fame/infamy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results