shape
carat
color
clarity

Positive for Toxoplasma gondii AB, IGG, QN

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
I got an email update on my bloodwork from my obgyn this AM saying I'm positive for this which apparently is a parasite that people with cats can get or if I ate raw meat. I don't have a cat or spend any time with cats. From what I read, I need another test to find out if this is active now or something I was exposed to in the past. If active now, It could be bad for baby - I am 11 weeks and 3 days pregnant. Anyone heard of this or been positive before for this? My score is 23.9 and normal is 0 to 5.9. Always something to worry about. I emailed my doctor and asked if I should be worried about this? Everything I Google is pretty clinical so it's Greek to me.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jg!

You sound like me...always something to worry about!
Anyways, yes, I've seen this plenty of times in clinical practice. if you are positive for IGG..that usually signifies an older infection ( was your Igm positive too?). Regardless, they will send your sample to the reference lab in Cali to confirm. Most of the time, these come back normal, and it's just a false positive. I'm hoping everything comes back good.Try not to worry yourself sick...I know it's so hard though!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Dani, thanks for replying. It doesn't look like the doctor tested IGM. At least it's not on their portal yet. I feel better reading your post since you work in the field. Will keep you updated. I am kind of in between obs right now so I emailed the new and current one to ask what I need to do next based on this information. We'll see who responds first.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Def follow up on it...they will tell you they need to send it out to the other lab. I'm praying you'll be fine!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Eek, JGator, I'm sorry. I have two cats, so I assume I was tested for toxoplasmosis, but never heard anything, so I guess I tested negative. I remember being paranoid about the first time around, but our cats have always been indoor cats, and the vet said it was very unlikely they would have an active infection. I also heard you could get it from gardening because cats and other animals sometimes use soil as a litterbox. Have you done any gardening recently? I'm really hoping it's a false positive like Dani mentioned or that it is something you were exposed to in the past. Let us know what your doctors say.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
MP, I have done some gardening recently. I don't think our neighbors have cats though. Our street is full of dog owners. No word back from OBs.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty sure it's only cats that transmit it (unless you eat undercooked meat). And the cat would have to have an active infection that you somehow ingested. I'm thinking positive thoughts for you, and I hope you get some answers soon to put your at ease.

This link had some helpful information, and I think it's reassuring that if you do have an active infection, the chances of passing it to the baby in early pregnancy are relatively low.

http://www.tommys.org/toxo

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
My doctor called back. He said to come in anytime to get the IGM blood draw and that usually those come back normal. The IGM will tell us if I have the virus active now. If it doesn't come back normal, they will send the blood to CA for further testing which often times come back normal as well. He said not to worry and that it is a common false positive test. So, I do feel better now. He said that there are only a few labs that can really do good testing on this disease.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Excellent, JG!!! Keep us posted!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Went in to get the IGM test today to see if I have an active infection or not. Hopefully, not. Keeping my fingers crossed.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
I found out today that I do not have a current infection so there is no risk to the baby! I just have the antibodies from being infected in the past. Woo hoo. So, negative on the IGM test.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Great news!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent news!

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! That's great.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Happy to hear this! Hoping for continued good news!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone. It is a relief. Now, I just need to get tested for my itchiness, but I can't do that for 2 more weeks. And, then I also need to have an amnio and get results which will be another month to rule out Trisomy 13. I wish I could fast forward to the end of May already.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Great news, JG!! Youre in my thoughts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results