shape
carat
color
clarity

Please add me onto the list!

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
I posted a thread months ago about my somewhat reluctant LIW status, and someone in that thread mentioned they'd add me the next time it was updated, but I noticed I'm not on it! :wavey:

A little background: SO and I have been together since October 2007 and lived together since about December of 2007 :naughty: We wasted no time, we knew from date one that this was a serious relationship!

However, we were 22 and 21 at the time, so we have essentially grown up together. Life has thrown us many curveballs and we've only gotten better and stronger, but marriage has never been high on the real-life priority list, though I HAVE spent considerable amounts of time gushing to my girlfriends about my ring wish list or pinning wedding ideas!

I just started school and plan on graduating and starting a new career within 2-3 years. SO is stable in his job and can essentially work anywhere. I'm a dreamer and refuse to settle and work a cubicle job.. I've had six jobs in just the last year. He's basically waiting on me to get my $hit together, :lol: We currently rent and plan on buying before wedding and doing so in the same time frame - within the next 2 years. The other factor is, SO now makes a TON more than he used to, BUT I basically have no income - so even though technically we can afford it now, I just can never seem to justify spending the money on the type of ring I'd really want.

We have had TONS of conversation about rings. SO has unfortunately been slow on the uptake about quality and preference - I nearly had a heart attack when he came home with printed out information and pics of simulants, NO OFFENSE to anyone! - and my ever-evolving PS education has meant that my wishes/requirements have changed a LOT. I'd really like an ~1 carat oval, really well cut and no lower than I color, SI1, with a simple, sturdy solitaire. I wear a size 8.5 so it will need to have some presence! :D Also, I reserve the right to change my mind for the millionth time! :roll: Sometimes I wish he'd just go and pick something and surprise me so I wouldnt have to stress about it, but then I know that I would ultimately rather have a say in the cost and specifics. I'm totally the hardest person to please and live with so bless his heart for loving me anyway! :love:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Aw I'm sorry you got overlooked! I will be sure to add you on my weekend update. 21/22 is certainly young (I think) and I was there not that long ago and I think that even if I was in a steady relationship I think there's a lot of room for you to grow, both as your own person and in a relationship.

I think a 1ct oval sounds just lovely...great bang for your buck in terms of finger coverage too!! Of course you are allowed to change your mind a million times...that's what we're all about! hehe. Have you tried on many different shapes?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Oh I went back and found your old thread, I remember you talking about your idea of opening up a "dress for success" type of shop/charity. I think that is a fabulous idea and I'm sorry I meant to say something then and then I forgot! How is that coming along or are you looking for a more steady job right now?

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
HI! Wasn't meaning to complain, I know list-keeper is a hefty responsibility :wink2:

Thanks so much for asking about my job/school! I literally just started back to school January 28th. I have a ways to go, and my choice to not work is so I can focus full-time on school - something I wouldn't be able to do if SO wasn't so supportive, which is ANOTHER reason I feel guilty even thinking about wishing for a ring!

I do have a part time job, but the income basically covers "my" expenses - cell phone, car insurance. He pays ALL the household bills and groceries and etc. By next year I hope to change to a part time that will give me more retail/personal shopping experience. There is an apprenticeship through Nordstrom I'm interested in...

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
OH - as for rings:

I have tried on nearly every shape, and I surprisingly really liked:

-a large marquise in a delicate bezel made by Danhov http://www.jamesallen.com/?q=11141w14#!/engagement-rings/solitaire/18k-white-gold-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-marquise-center-item-7906

-an oval halo with diamonds on the profile and shank (fell in love with one on DBL that was a STEAL but someone JUST bought it - SO was actually as disappointed as I was, because I think he knew it was a good deal and that it would be there forever)
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/oval-diamond-ring-100ct-micro-halo-ring-bargain-for-sze-775-finger-r880

-and if our budget allowed - which it likely never would, I'm admittedly very cheap and frugal - I love 1.5+ ct RB in square halos.

But I'm pretty hard on my jewelry and I spend a lot of time doing stuff with my hands, especially walking two crazy dogs, and I'm not the type to want to take my ring off for every little thing SO I think it'd be best to get a thicker, very sturdy band, such as http://www.jamesallen.com/?q=11141w14#!/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-flat-edged-diamond-solitaire-engagement-ring--item-220

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
With the dwindling number of ladies ;( it's not that bad... :wacko:

That's great that you're back in school! I always applaud people who are able to go back...I am so ready to be done with school that no amount of motivation would be enough to get me to go back to classes. Then again I was lucky enough to figure out what I wanted to do young enough to specialize/get all my schooling done in one go.

That marquise looks beautiful!! I think if you are looking for a more "sturdy" ring then a bezel is the way to go. That oval halo is dreamy though!! What was the sale/asking price on it? As for rounds, would you ever consider old cuts? Those are more budget friendly than your standard RB. If you can find one in a color you can tolerate and that wouldn't clash too much with a halo, that would be an idea as well!

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
It was $3995. The diamond didn't have a GIA cert.

Nice thought about old cuts.. I hadn't given much thought to that option!

alma123

Rough_Rock
fabulousfindk|1360272338|3374683 said:
We have had TONS of conversation about rings. SO has unfortunately been slow on the uptake about quality and preference - I nearly had a heart attack when he came home with printed out information and pics of simulants, NO OFFENSE to anyone! - and my ever-evolving PS education has meant that my wishes/requirements have changed a LOT. I'd really like an ~1 carat oval, really well cut and no lower than I color, SI1, with a simple, sturdy solitaire. I wear a size 8.5 so it will need to have some presence! :D Also, I reserve the right to change my mind for the millionth time! :roll: Sometimes I wish he'd just go and pick something and surprise me so I wouldnt have to stress about it, but then I know that I would ultimately rather have a say in the cost and specifics. I'm totally the hardest person to please and live with so bless his heart for loving me anyway! :love:

Welcome to the world of diamonds and engagement! Totally with you about changing minds :D

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Nice to meet you!!! Excited about having another LIW on the board!!! :wavey:

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Alma and Maple! :wavey:

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the list! :wavey:

Love ovals! Also love that you and your SO have grown up together. :bigsmile:

luckyerialc

Rough_Rock
Welcome! I love your story. My SO and I have had a similar path - we also started dating seriously at a very young age. :wavey:

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
cygnet|1360700775|3378481 said:
Welcome (back)!

I LOVE that Dahnov setting. I actually was *thisclose* to choosing a pear in that setting for my e-ring. I'm crazy about bezels.

Have you considered going with DBL and doing one of these?: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/semi-mount-ring-custom-double-bezel-ring-with-split-shank-so3924

I'm doing something very similar for mine.

That is really pretty! I love how you can opt for a slightly smaller diamond and opt for the double bezel for a little more omfph.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
StacylikesSparkles|1360701331|3378501 said:
cygnet|1360700775|3378481 said:
Welcome (back)!

I LOVE that Dahnov setting. I actually was *thisclose* to choosing a pear in that setting for my e-ring. I'm crazy about bezels.

Have you considered going with DBL and doing one of these?: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/semi-mount-ring-custom-double-bezel-ring-with-split-shank-so3924

I'm doing something very similar for mine.

That is really pretty! I love how you can opt for a slightly smaller diamond and opt for the double bezel for a little more omfph.

Exactly! Our diamond is 1.23ct which is a nice weight, but it's an asscher so it faces up pretty small, and like fabulousfindk, my fingers are larger than average so I was concerned about how to choose a setting that would really give my diamond a lot of presence on my finger. I'm bezel obsessed so I knew it'd be a bezel anyway, but when I saw the double bezel, I fell in love. It really does look like liquid gold. The person who designed this setting calculated that the double bezel added 3mm to her finger coverage, so it definitely has a LOT of presence, though it's kind of sneaky because it doesn't really *look* like you're trying to make your diamond seem bigger. :Up_to_something:

Anyway, I suggested the split shank because that design looks really nice with elongated shapes like ovals, pears and marquises, but there's a single shank design as well, which is what I'm getting.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Welcome to the list. :lol:

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome! Please excuse the lateness in my reply, I've been lazy/busy. Mostly lazy, though. :lol:

I gotta say, the large marquise by Danhov you have in mind is STUNNING! Wow... I really, REALLY like that one. Your other choices are quite gorge, too. May your stay be short and sweet! :appl: ~*~*~dust~*~*~*

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
Love the double bezel. Don't like split shanks on me. I want a huge stack of rings and for them to sit pretty flush.

I have short fingers too, so I really like how the marquise and oval shapes elongate them.

Thank you for all the welcomes! I honestly think it's harder getting into wedding mode when you've been with someone this long - we're quite happy with the status quo and there is ALWAYS something else to spend money on! Like bills and vacations, lol. :roll:

But recently SO had the idea to get wedding bands first - something less expensive, so I don't have the guilt of spending 4-5k on an engagement ring, but not a temporary ring either - something I will eventually wear as/with my set. I don't want to upgrade - what we choose now I want to wear forever. I LOVE these from the pre-loved forum, that another PS-er found for me:

http://loupetroop.com/listings/bands/18k-wg-stacking-ring-s-with-62ctw

I mean, add an engagement ring to that in a year or so, and holy finger full of bling, right?! :naughty: However, two problems -

I am not sure these could be resized to my 8.5-8.75 finger. I don't love or hate buying pre-loved.. it's hard to find my size. We could buy new or have something designed but I'd like our budget for this to be under $500, and I don't just want a tiny pave band. Maybe I'm asking too much!

Also, a few friends have said it's bad luck to wear your wedding band before the wedding. Kind of silly, I know.. I would likely buy another thin pave band to use during the wedding ceremony. No such thing as too many rings if you ask me! But what do you all think of this?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results