shape
carat
color
clarity

"Playdates" for kids 5-9

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just curious for those moms here who either host playdates or have their kid(s) go to friend''s houses for playdates. . .What sorts of activities do the kids do. . .Play? Or do you consider video/PC games okay for the time the kids are hanging out?

Personally, I feel the kids should be playing Legos or Bakugan/Pokemon (etc), NOT playing video games. I''m finding often when my son goes to a friend''s he''s playing video games the whole time and it''s rather upsetting to me, yet I feel it would be innapropriate to say so. . .(what is the point of setting up a play date if the kids zone out like zombies???)

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Over the break my niece and nephew stayed at my home...they used to live near by before their move, so they used the holiday opportunity to have their old friends over to play...so, I am not a parent, but I did recently have a week and a half of play dates hosted in my home...

In my home we have all the video game systems, and lots of games...and the kids loved it! Maybe because I''m the "fun" aunt, I felt like they are kids and just letting them be kids is okay...but when I consider the fact that they are both in school 8 hours a day, plus homework and extra activities...letting them really have free time seems totally fine to me.

As a non-parent, I can see both sides. Fresh air, exercise....its great for them. But they are "into" the computer games and video games, and DS''s...

It''s all about balance...I think if you''d prefer more grass root activities then you should host more playdates and control the influences and exposure level.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did the kids do anything besides play video games? Keep in mind (and I don't want to be rude, but I'm talking about REGULAR playdates NOT a family get together because that is a different and unique scenerio.) . . My issue is that if the kids only play video games, there is a problem ESPECIALLY since the play dates my kids go to are WEEKLY. When I host playdates (which I do once a week), the kids have TONS of fun doing various play activities including Legos and Hot Wheels. Just because kids are "into" video games doesn't mean they should be indulged in them 24/7.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not loving the video games either. With my son, I encouraged Legos. As a big treat I''d buy small boxes of them and give one to his friend, one to my son. Didn''t do that often, but when the Mom''s came to pick them up, they''d show the Mom saying look what I made. I loved having activites for them. But also let them wing it on their own... Loved to see them play outside in our fenced in back yard. Oh those were the days, they go by so quickly.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
My children aren't allowed to play video games during the week and I certainly don't feel bad letting parents know or making sure my children say so. You shouldn't either. If it's a weekday playdate it's usually a non issue, even if they are at a friends house, my children will ask to do other things. I remember one time though, my oldest went to a friends house and he said his friend played the whole time and he had to watch. I was a little annoyed by that, and felt terrible, like the super strict mean parent... ETA, had I know he was being made to watch I would have let him play. I'm not that mean, but I was surprised my son still listened!

I try to keep video games to a minimum on the weekends too, even if they aren't having a playdate. I just hate seeing my 8 year old turn into mush before my eyes because he can't pry himself away from his DS or a controller... Like Kaleigh said, these special days when they are young go by so quickly, I just hate for my children to not experience other creative outlets.

Btw, pokemon, bakugan, and legos are huge in our home too. I also bought my boys a karaoke machine which can be a ton of fun.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if I could tell another parent that the activity they chose was inappropriate (unless it was dangerous, etc). That parent may have worked a 12 hour day, driven home during rush hour and be trying to get a meal on the table. Or, they may just be a passive parent as opposed to an active parent (don''t get me going on that tangent..) Could you take your child to pick out an educational game for whatever game system they use. Then he would be happy to take his new game and show it off and you would know that he''s not blowing people up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results