shape
carat
color
clarity

Photog questions again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
so i''m down to deciding between 2 now, and I''m stuck on a few things. Maybe those who know more on this can help out...

One photographer has a GREAT personality and package price, but he is young and I''m nervous about his level of expertise. I looked at his portfolios and they look nice (to me at least), but not necessarily "special". By "speacial" I mean they don''t necessarily evoke strong emotions or have any real richness. He also says he only color corrects, no other touch ups in final production. I guess my main concern is I don''t just want a photog who takes pics that a relative with some photography classes under their belt could take.
Am I asking too much? Is it common place for good photogs to not use lighting, not do anything beyond color correction, and not take more artistic/visually and emotionally rich shots?

The other photog seems to catch the moment more (but thats based on his best albums of course)--but 1000 more, which is steep...and my FI and mom say they don''t see too much difference and that wedding photos are wedding photos and at least photog #1 has a great personailty..

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh geez, I say trust your gut and dont settle on someone until you are 100% comfortable with them....In the grand scheme of things, an extra 1K is not that bad, especially if your talking about huge differences and feeling comfortable with someone and their work. Photography is the most important thing, IMO. Your wedding day will come and go, and you will only have pictures and memories to reflect back on. So my best advice is to pick a photographer whom you trust wholeheartedly and have full confidence in capturing your day.

Good luck!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I think you answered your own question. The extra $1k you''re paying the second guy IS for his expertise in catching the moment/emotions.

Not any banana with a camera can do this.

Whether or not the extra $1k is worth it all depends on who the customer is. Those that care about that element are willing to pay the price to get it.

I fall into that "it''s worth it" group. The day is significant enough and precious enough to spend months planning for and typically THOUSANDS of dollars on. For most, it is likely the single most expensive event they''ll ever host.....and the single most emotionally important one. After the last piece of cake has been sliced.....after the dress has been preserved and packed away....after the DJ/band has packed up and gone home......the only remnants of that day are the photographs.

I''d personally not want to risk mediocrity for the sake saving a few dollars.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The photographer I am hiring is young - but has loads of experience, he''s the main photographer for the political party I work for. What totally sold it for me is that he is just going to give me a cd of all the photographs and then I will edit them myself. I will put way more time into the editing than anyone else would - (I went out with a photographer for 7 years and so I know how much time goes in!) and then I can have them printed out at a fraction of the price and make up my own album. Photographers here cost approx $2,600 on average and I''m paying $600. Even so I still checked out some of his wedding albums - he doesn''t know this, because I wanted to see the real thing not his 20 best shots!

Can you see a whole album from these photographers not just samples? Also check out their equipment - what formats do they use? Make sure you feel comfortable with them and what they want you to do v what you want to do. I don''t want any gimicky shots/car bonnets/me and FI behaving in ways we wouldn''t and I feel happy that my photographer will deliver what I want and not what he wants for his sample album!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
thanks girls, some great advice.

i''ve decided to open up the search more. i figure i''ll have to spend the extra $, but will need to take the time to find someone good. it''s really overwhelming thoug--I get a great recommendation, contact the photog, hear she''s booked, she gives me 4 recommendations, and round we go. There are just too many. Starting to think i might need a wedding planner..

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Have you asked the more expensive photographer if a customized package can be created for you? Or are they negotiable at all? I really think it's important for you to like their personality though. Find someone you "click" with and feel like you can trust and feel will go the extra mile for you. I picked a female photographer just because I felt that a female, especially one that has been a bride, really understands HOW IMPORTANT the photos are to you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results