shape
carat
color
clarity

Pandemic: How to help and where to donate?

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
One can feel useless when on stay at home orders and seeing news of people, particularly in the developing world, defy those orders under threats of death to try to get food for themselves and their families. For many, starvation is a more immediate threat than COVID. Please post ideas on how we can help, by volunteering or donating items or money, locally, nationally and overseas.

The first thing that comes to my mind is International Red Cross which as issued an appeal for assistance.

Local food banks are good.

You can directly affect another person’s survival if you survived COVID yourself by donating your plasma.

If you’re crafty or have a 3D printer you can make homemade masks for donation to healthcare workers.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to donating blood if you’re allowed.

And taking care of yourself is the most essential thing you can do in order to care for others. Stay home stay well and keep that curve down.

Help your elderly neighbors and anyone who needs help.

Donating to food banks. Canned goods especially.
Donating to animal rescue organizations. They need supplies or food, litter etc.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
There’s lots to be done and lots of help needed. I’ve given supplies/ eggs from my hens to neighbors who have been unable to get them. I’ve checked in with some older people I know who might need stuff/ not want to go out to get stuff. I’ve created seed packets to send out to new gardeners looking to start their first garden in preparation for possibly not having enough food. These might be options too.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
local food banks/pantry and homeless shelters need funds and supplies urgently right now.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The supermarket in town that I frequent is a drop-off/collection point for the local food bank.

I just need to make sure I buy within the allowable quota for the goods to go through the till without being stopped! Two each should be fine.

DK :))

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Is there anything that anyone knows of that can be done for people, children, trapped in abusive homes during this time? Those for whom work or school was their safe place? Surely lockdowns are absolute worst case scenarios for them.

Like @missy says we can all stay home and flatten the curve which we’re doing. But I want to be able to do something as well as this to help, and as well as a token cash donation that probably won’t actually do much.

Aside from distracting myself on PS, these people are all I’ve been able to think of :cry2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there anything that anyone knows of that can be done for people, children, trapped in abusive homes during this time? Those for whom work or school was their safe place? Surely lockdowns are absolute worst case scenarios for them.

Donating to the shelters and advocates of helping domestic abuse victims. The YWCA emergency fund and local shelters.

The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence has advocated that survivors be included as a vulnerable population in federal coronavirus stimulus legislation. The YWCA, meanwhile, is urging Americans who can afford it to donate to its emergency fund as well as to local shelters, whether that’s money or in-kind donations. “Everything is needed,” Castillo said.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They need plasma from those who have recovered from Covid 19.

and

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
We have been donating $$ to our local food pantries every couple days.
We cook meals and drop off at SIL's porch. Do the same for one adult child who lives nearby.
We are trying to make sure all of our friends and family are managing.

Giving one of our commercial tenants reduced rent for a couple months and they will re-pay as they are able.
Will do the same for residential tenants--so far only one is in financial distress due to reduced hours.

Donating our stimulus checks as we have enough and others need help.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very good friend of mine made these signs

With proceeds going to help to feed first responders. I'm not the type to put stuff in my yard but this is for a very good cause.

Down here they're pleading with people to donate blood and plasma. My husband has now donated twice.

I've sewn about 150 masks. Only 500 more to go, and the military has asked for some (and they're particular!).... If you know of a medical center, nursing home, police station, etc that needs masks, or any other PPE, please send them here. https://www.getppe.org/ Lots of us pick up orders from here as the information gets vetted. More than some have been duped and made hundreds of masks only to see them on etsy! (and its shitty that people would do that)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"
How can I help?
Charity Navigator, which evaluates charities using a numbers-based system, has a running list of nonprofits working in communities affected by the outbreak. You can give blood through the American Red Cross, and World Central Kitchen has stepped in to distribute meals in major cities. More than 30,000 coronavirus-related GoFundMe fund-raisers have started in the past few weeks. (The sheer number of fund-raisers means more of them are likely to fail to meet their goal, though.)

"

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
"
How can I help?
Charity Navigator, which evaluates charities using a numbers-based system, has a running list of nonprofits working in communities affected by the outbreak. You can give blood through the American Red Cross, and World Central Kitchen has stepped in to distribute meals in major cities. More than 30,000 coronavirus-related GoFundMe fund-raisers have started in the past few weeks. (The sheer number of fund-raisers means more of them are likely to fail to meet their goal, though.)

"

I like that charity navigator has a special splash page for covid. I haven’t heard of some of these.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@Arcadian what are the specifications for making the masks for the military?

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In Denver I just joined a project where we “support,” in my case an emergency room resident, for four weeks to start. We either gift card them or make them a meal a week, get them snacks, write texts to them to keep their spirits up, buy them some small pick me up items, etc. I just got assigned mine today and texted him. No response yet. We’ll see how this goes. It was set up by two university doctors and two wives of er residents/fellows. Seems like a good project.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results