shape
carat
color
clarity

Paleo Diet for weight loss

Joel21

Rough_Rock
What are your thoughts on using the Paleo or 'caveman's' diet for weight loss? I heard that it's also great for keeping healthy and avoiding many diseases.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
While some people lose weight eating paleo, it really wasn't intended as a weightloss diet. I've eaten paleo and keto and in all honesty, a modified smash up of the two has worked best for me. Paleo doesn't limit carbs and allows natural sugar/fruit both of which can impact weightloss.

Weightloss is achieved in one of two ways, generally...either by taking in fewer daily calories than your body needs (a calorie deficit diet) or by changing how your body uses its resources through ketosis. In general, folks who lose weight eating paleo do so because they are eating fewer calories overall. The carbs consumed are converted into sugars and used for energy/fuel for the body. The body draws on muscle and fat stores somewhat indescriminately to make up the difference which can result in weight loss. Calorie deficit diets can optimally result in loss of 1.5-2lbs/week.

If you put your body into a state of ketosis your body goes directly to the fat stores, converts fat to ketones, and ketones become the sole fuel/energy your body needs. It is not uncommon, nor unhealthy, to lose 4-6lbs in the first week and 3-4lbs each week thereafter. Added bonus, by removing natural sugars and carbs associated with all grains you are also removing some of the most inflammatory foods we eat. When I eat this way my chronic pain and inflammation goes way down...even more than when I eat paleo. If you are diabetic it can also result in significantly lowering A1C numbers. I've know several friends who have been able to reduce or get rid of diabetes (and HBP!) meds eating this way by staying on top of their numbers and working with their doctor.

Joel21

Rough_Rock
Keeliamira|1479592991|4100633 said:
While some people lose weight eating paleo, it really wasn't intended as a weightloss diet. I've eaten paleo and keto and in all honesty, a modified smash up of the two has worked best for me. Paleo doesn't limit carbs and allows natural sugar/fruit both of which can impact weightloss.

Weightloss is achieved in one of two ways, generally...either by taking in fewer daily calories than your body needs (a calorie deficit diet) or by changing how your body uses its resources through ketosis. In general, folks who lose weight eating paleo do so because they are eating fewer calories overall. The carbs consumed are converted into sugars and used for energy/fuel for the body. The body draws on muscle and fat stores somewhat indescriminately to make up the difference which can result in weight loss. Calorie deficit diets can optimally result in loss of 1.5-2lbs/week.

If you put your body into a state of ketosis your body goes directly to the fat stores, converts fat to ketones, and ketones become the sole fuel/energy your body needs. It is not uncommon, nor unhealthy, to lose 4-6lbs in the first week and 3-4lbs each week thereafter. Added bonus, by removing natural sugars and carbs associated with all grains you are also removing some of the most inflammatory foods we eat. When I eat this way my chronic pain and inflammation goes way down...even more than when I eat paleo. If you are diabetic it can also result in significantly lowering A1C numbers. I've know several friends who have been able to reduce or get rid of diabetes (and HBP!) meds eating this way by staying on top of their numbers and working with their doctor.
I guess your goals decide what diet you must be on. If you want to lose weight then the diet would obviously be different than a diet for overall health and well-being. I think Paleo may be more about that than weight loss.

Sabina

Rough_Rock
Now the keto diet is on the top, but I think the paleo diet, among others, is the safest- if you eat normal, healthy portions

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results