Now It's San Bernardino

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
scary. Looks like no fatalities yet.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are fatalities. And, by the way, ksinger called this. We have a major problem with domestic terrorism. Unless the Planned Parenthood attack and this one on a facility for people with developmental disabilities were actually planned by ISIS terrorists who cleverly disguised themselves. How they got in without the cover of Syrian refugees is beyond me, however.

AGBF

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The coverage of this event said it's the 2nd mass shooting today. Another one supposedly occurred in a southern state, can't remember which one. I googled it and couldn't find any info. Looks as though we are at the point where this is a daily occurrence in the US.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are right - I must have been looking at an older one. A more current news article says 3 dead, 20 wounded. :(

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Unfortunately I am not surprised and I am on the other side of the world. My heart breaks whenever this happens, it really does :(sad

And according to the news reports here it's 12 dead, possibly more.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swat team called to a situation in Pasadena and hour from San Bernardino. No info re: whether it's related to San Bernardino situation.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reporting here says it is three confirmed dead so far. The questions are what kind of explosive device was left and why and whether there was (were) one, two, or three gunmen. (Implied is that it was at least two.) It was, apparently, a coordinated attack. Not an incident of workplace violence by a disgruntled employee. Here is a link to the latest CNBC report playing in the US now:

Link...http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/02/authorities-responding-to-reports-of-mass-shooting-in-san-bernardino-california-nbc-los-angeles.html

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sad. Looks like this is the new normal. Americans are living in a war zone, every day.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1449090497|3956537 said:
The coverage of this event said it's the 2nd mass shooting today. Another one supposedly occurred in a southern state, can't remember which one. I googled it and couldn't find any info. Looks as though we are at the point where this is a daily occurrence in the US.

Matata, I think this must have been the shooting to which people were referring. It took place in Savannah, Georgia this morning.

Link...http://wsav.com/2015/12/02/several-injured-1-dead-in-overnight-savannah-shooting/

Deb/AGBF

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1449093139|3956563 said:
Americans are living in a war zone, every day.

Exaggeration.
Just a couple of us.
US population is over 318 million.

Big whoop.

I'm sympathetic for the victim's families ... but I refuse to overreact.

I'm not afraid.
I have no desire to buy a gun.
Life goes on as usual.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just reported 14 dead; 14 more injured.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1449093563|3956566 said:
Laila619|1449093139|3956563 said:
Americans are living in a war zone, every day.

Exaggeration.
Just a couple of us.
US population is over 318 million.

Big whoop.

I'm sympathetic for the victim's families ... but I refuse to overreact.

I'm not afraid.
I have no desire to buy a gun.
Life goes on as usual.

This. I went to NYC while everyone was freaking out about a supposed ISIS attack in the city. Life goes on.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I agree with kenny in the sense that these types of incidence are few and far between - hardly a "war zone"
Having said that, I am afraid and will try to protect myself in any ways that I can (knowing full well that I can't possibly protect myself and my family from every possible threat). I'm sure that this thread will spark the same debate on gun control as all the other threads. I wish that instead of discussing it over and over again, that moderate forms of gun control could be put into action.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
One of my good friends is a physical therapist and she has treated many children from the IRC. It's terrible that these monsters attacked therapists, case workers and employees who dedicate their lives to helping others.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The police think there were three shooters - which implies a conspiracy - which suggests that this insanity cannot, in fact be blamed on mental illness. That at least blunts one of the gun rights arguments.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got home and learned about this.
I just cannot...It's actually hard to breath.
When will this be stopped?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KaeKae|1449097858|3956607 said:

Never.
Guns are an American birthright.

Get used to it ... like auto accident fatalities.

Just another day.
Ho hum.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Reports stating that police now have all 3 suspects located; one dead, one wounded and one in custody.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1449097977|3956609 said:

Never.
Guns are an American birthright.

Get used to it ... like auto accident fatalities.

Just another day.
Ho hum.

Yep. Like someone else said, if nothing changed after a bunch of innocent 5 and 6 year olds were gunned down, then nothing probably ever will change.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1449103297|3956639 said:
kenny|1449097977|3956609 said:

Never.

Yep. Like someone else said, if nothing changed after a bunch of innocent 5 and 6 year olds were gunned down, then nothing probably ever will change.

I am not so sure that the analogy holds. Those 5 and 6 year-olds were killed by someone whom the gun-lovers could see was mentally ill. These men in San Bernardino are terrorists in a more classic sense. They acted with military precision and may even have had military training. This is something else. These are serious bad guys we do not want to arm. (Of course we do, very much, want to arm anyone who is not serious, but flaky, anyone who is delusional. Especially angry paranoid schizophrenics and men addicted to PCP. What am I saying?)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
jordyonbass|1449100771|3956622 said:
Reports stating that police now have all 3 suspects located; one dead, one wounded and one in custody.

2 suspects dead - 1 detained

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1449095063|3956577 said:
I agree with kenny in the sense that these types of incidence are few and far between - hardly a "war zone"
Having said that, I am afraid and will try to protect myself in any ways that I can (knowing full well that I can't possibly protect myself and my family from every possible threat). I'm sure that this thread will spark the same debate on gun control as all the other threads. I wish that instead of discussing it over and over again, that moderate forms of gun control could be put into action.

I posted this on a thread on FB a little bit ago but..JD and I were watching an episode of Drugs Inc the other night and they were talking to a guy who makes 15 THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH selling illegal guns in the US. One guy. Just one. 15 thousand dollars. He's not selling those weapons to deer hunters or skeet shooters. Another guy, and I was already getting sick watching this episode, but this put me over the edge--this other guy said "and if we don't like you, we'll go to your house. We'll take your kids. I'll pull right up when your kids are outside playing, and I'll stand there and I'll look you right in the eye and look at your kid. I'm telling you I will take your kids anytime I want." Drugs and guns. They're tied. People like that *don't care*.

So go ahead and take *my* guns. I make like 11 thousand before taxes a year teaching special education preschool. Take mine. And keep your blinders on and allow the guy who makes a lot more in a month than I do in a year, to keep funneling illegal weapons onto the streets of the country, and the guy who sells guns and drugs to continue to talk about talking people's children if they try to skip paying for those illegal firearms and drugs.

Who will be the scape goat when *my* guns are gone and shit keeps happening?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One thing I have seen with all the mass shooting events that occur in the USA is how different the attitude in Australia is. I've got guns, my dad has guns, my neighbours have guns - a lot of people I know have guns. Do you know many of us have guns for in case of an attack from another person?

Zero, not one of us bought a gun for that reason.

I don't even keep my firearms within 100 miles of my home and wouldn't ever want to. They're locked away at a property in the Aussie bush where they serve a purpose: protection from wild boars, crocs and dingos that generally try and kill me if I get too close while I am out assisting farmers with vermin eradication. If you went and asked for a gun license as you want to buy a gun for protection from people, not only would they rip up the application form but they would blacklist your name. Vermin eradication and target practice, use any other lingo for those and you still won't get it.

It's eye-opening how despite the fact we are westernized countries, Australia and America couldn't be more different in that regard.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man and woman suspects killed, third person in question. CNN is saying probably terrorism.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1449108022|3956670 said:
momhappy|1449095063|3956577 said:

I posted this on a thread on FB a little bit ago but..JD and I were watching an episode of Drugs Inc the other night and they were talking to a guy who makes 15 THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH selling illegal guns in the US. One guy. Just one. 15 thousand dollars. He's not selling those weapons to deer hunters or skeet shooters. Another guy, and I was already getting sick watching this episode, but this put me over the edge--this other guy said "and if we don't like you, we'll go to your house. We'll take your kids. I'll pull right up when your kids are outside playing, and I'll stand there and I'll look you right in the eye and look at your kid. I'm telling you I will take your kids anytime I want." Drugs and guns. They're tied. People like that *don't care*.

So go ahead and take *my* guns. I make like 11 thousand before taxes a year teaching special education preschool. Take mine. And keep your blinders on and allow the guy who makes a lot more in a month than I do in a year, to keep funneling illegal weapons onto the streets of the country, and the guy who sells guns and drugs to continue to talk about talking people's children if they try to skip paying for those illegal firearms and drugs.

Who will be the scape goat when *my* guns are gone and shit keeps happening?

Exactly.
As I have said before, it's not humanly possible to make all of the guns in the US magically disappear, so why not focus on sensible gun control :confused: It's the same whining after every shooting and yet not a darn thing actually gets done :wall: Change could happen, but it won't if people aren't realistic about it.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
This is so sad. I just got home and the last thing I want to do is watch the news. I feel terribly sad for the families and friends of the victims. I use a community conference room at our county bldg/library each month for meetings. I can't imagine something like this happening. They just installed metal detectors at the doors a couple of months ago. :errrr:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is beyond sad and so awful... I didn't know what to think. Was this Isis?? Was it some disturbed person...
What I want is gun control.... We are the leader of mass killings.

What's it going to take???

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1449111083|3956711 said:
This is beyond sad and so awful... I didn't know what to think. Was this Isis?? Was it some disturbed person...
What I want is gun control.... We are the leader of mass killings.

What's it going to take???

Three things ... all at the same time.

1. A president who's a Democrat
2. A large Majority of Democrats in both the House and the Senate
3. More liberals in the Supreme Court

Until then the only thing that works is what has prevented gun violence up till now ... prayer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results