shape
carat
color
clarity

No Spend November

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone ever have a month of spending just the absolute minimum? There are different degrees of this and maybe the best part is you can totally make it what you want.

For my no spend month I am cutting out all the little crap, the coffees that are all to convenient, no take-out food and of course no personal indulgences (jewelry, clothes, cosmetics etc). Just today I got invited to a Partylite show and I simply said I had to decline, normally I would go and buy something just to support the person even though it's not a needed purchase at all. In reading blogs about this some will go so far as only going grocery shopping once and then not at all for the rest of the month, that doesn't work for us but who would t want less trips to the grocery store right?

Anyone else want to hop on the train? I figure by the end of this I will have a little extra cash for the holidays and a few more recipes from all that home cooking! If you have done a spending hiatus and have any tips feel free to share.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone ever have a month of spending just the absolute minimum? There are different degrees of this and maybe the best part is you can totally make it what you want.

For my no spend month I am cutting out all the little crap, the coffees that are all to convenient, no take-out food and of course no personal indulgences (jewelry, clothes, cosmetics etc). Just today I got invited to a Partylite show and I simply said I had to decline, normally I would go and buy something just to support the person even though it's not a needed purchase at all. In reading blogs about this some will go so far as only going grocery shopping once and then not at all for the rest of the month, that doesn't work for us but who would t want less trips to the grocery store right?

Anyone else want to hop on the train? I figure by the end of this I will have a little extra cash for the holidays and a few more recipes from all that home cooking! If you have done a spending hiatus and have any tips feel free to share.
Steph, I kinda live this way.
I buy the bare minimum in the grocery store. I think hard about how many meals I can make with a 10lb. bag of potatoes and a package of chicken thighs. I buy 18pk eggs, because they are a better value than a dozen. I buy bags of onions instead of singles. I don't use coupons from the newspaper, because sales are often lower, and they are never for stuff I want anyway. We rarely eat out, because I cook at home for a lot less!
And you know I love the thrift stores.
Yet somehow I manage to have nice things, and pay the bills, too. So I guess I am always on the bandwagon!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, how is it that we live so far apart, life is just not fair sometimes! I can relate to everything except the meat, I have a hard time with bulk meat because it gives me pause about whether it will all get used up. Got to work on that. Otherwise yes to the 18pk eggs, we go through 12 at a time on the weekends for breakfast so they go quick.

I love that this is a lifestyle for you, it is a commitment because it's so easy to get lazy about cooking. Tonight I made my first casserole and everyone loved and it was so easy!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Missy had a thread about learning from age/"older" well maybe it is because I am more sincere about my spending habits. Meaning I take them more seriously. Not as frivolous. And I've been frivolous.

I have what I want and now I enjoy more what I have. I maximize what I have as opposed to just running out and getting something new to replace what I have that is already new but gently used. (I am the person who thinks 20,000 kilometers on a car is OLD--get rid of it!!).

That said my line in the sand will be different from others. Eating out and great vacations are not frivolous to me--they are part of healthy living. Because if I cannot enjoy a break, then (to me) working is for nothing. And honestly, if I could great face crème for under 50 bucks, I would! lol

cheers--Sharon

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, how is it that we live so far apart, life is just not fair sometimes! I can relate to everything except the meat, I have a hard time with bulk meat because it gives me pause about whether it will all get used up. Got to work on that. Otherwise yes to the 18pk eggs, we go through 12 at a time on the weekends for breakfast so they go quick.

I love that this is a lifestyle for you, it is a commitment because it's so easy to get lazy about cooking. Tonight I made my first casserole and everyone loved and it was so easy!
Yay, casseroles!
I make a lot of soups and other dishes that can last a few days.
Right now, I'm making chicken butternut squash soup. Although the butternut squash was a splurge at almost $4.00 for the dumb thing! But the chicken was on sale .99/lb!
About the bulk meat.....when you get home, separate it into smaller, meal size packages and freeze.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been trying not to buy things since October. I bought the new iPhone, my husband broke his iPad so rwe eplaced it and then we ended up buying him a new pickup. I just paid myself back yesterday for the phone and iPad; now I need to divert any extra money towards the taxes and plates on the pickup.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to do this but it’s going to be really hard!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, LOVE butternut squash! I bake that stuff in the oven with some EVOO and pumpkin pie spice and it is soooo good. That soup sounds amazing and I'm definitely going to give the bulk meat a go.

@marcy, it's always something right? Like you decide not to spend money and then the universe just decides to mess up the whole plan. At least you were able to recoup and regroup.

@AprilBaby, no doubt not easy and honestly I have never done a no spend month so this is going to be quite the endeavor! Think of it like this, even if you just did one week that is still an accomplishment.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for me, not this year, at least.

I’ve been in various taking-care-of-others roles for the past five or six years... and to some extent I will continue to be so until my parents’ estate is settled. That, and the aspects of my own life that I’ve been neglecting...

I don’t live extravagantly. My favorite stores are Marshall’s and TJ Maxx. Once, when a Hollywood designer rep friend (really!) complimented me on my dress, I joked that it was “Atelier Eddie Bauer.” Because it was. But I do enjoy meals out regularly, and I rarely buy in bulk because I’m not a great fan of serial leftovers. And I’m considering a pair of Eddie Sakamoto earrings that, well, might be gone by December!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
this has been my existence the last year
im kind of getting sick of it
its the property taxes that kill me
our grocery shopping has been a lot healthier - not that it wasn't before but i just don't buy biscuits or chips or lollies any more and juice and fruits not in season
i have definatly learnt some smarter shopping skills but somedays i get a bit down going through my internet grocery order and deleting all the fun stuff because even a $1 roll of mentoss lollies adds to the over all bill

i miss buying the odd bottle of wine or a beer on hot days but i know that's not hurting us

i miss long showers but its not like ive given up washing :lol:
but ive missed a few things i would always buy like a Soringsteen record on the very first day of release and that really hurts

also after a lifetime of working in hardwear shops i miss just buying something if i need it - like something for the garden or even batteries around the home

my 'gap year' at home needs to end ASAP

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually sorry i didn't mean my above post to be a Debbie downer

i mean have you guys looked under your bathroom sink/kitchen sink/ laundry sink and checked out what you have under there :lol:
ive only had to buy one deoderant, no make up, bar and liquid soap and shampoo and conditioner
i had 3 bottles of dish washing liquid !
and despite what my mum used to say there is nothing wrong with alot if the super market home brands
i have seen some blind tasting where it came out on top or 2nd from top

once im working i will continue to buy super market home brand frozen veg
zero diffetence

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am on minimum spend this month due to work related issues, hopefully all will be back to normal next month.

Good for my health too as I am on the wagon after enjoying myself too much last weekend. Binge drinking does not mix well with the medication I am on. :rolleyes:

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Missy had a thread about learning from age/"older" well maybe it is because I am more sincere about my spending habits. Meaning I take them more seriously. Not as frivolous. And I've been frivolous.

I have what I want and now I enjoy more what I have. I maximize what I have as opposed to just running out and getting something new to replace what I have that is already new but gently used. (I am the person who thinks 20,000 kilometers on a car is OLD--get rid of it!!).

That said my line in the sand will be different from others. Eating out and great vacations are not frivolous to me--they are part of healthy living. Because if I cannot enjoy a break, then (to me) working is for nothing. And honestly, if I could great face crème for under 50 bucks, I would! lol

cheers--Sharon

Amen to this. What we choose to spend our money on is a serious matter especially as we get older. I find luxuries are an important necessity at this stage of my life.

I know how that might sound to some but I know you get it Sharon. Life is for living and enjoying and once we reach a certain age (and that age is different for all of us) we realize how precious and short and fragile life is and how we need to enjoy every single moment to the fullest. We reach a stage where frugality changes and becomes different for each of us.

What I might have thought of us frivolous once is more more important to me now. And there are things I always thought of as wasteful and still do and will not spend money on those things. For example I never bought lunch out when I was working or bought coffee in the AM on my way to work. I preferred (and still do) my own coffee and the markup is crazy on that anyway. There is no right or wrong however and of course, as with all things, YMMV. To many it is a worthwhile luxury. As for lunches I always made my own when I was working because I couldn't get what I wanted in the stores and I am picky. The money saved was a lot over the decades and was an additional perk. I also don't spend money on doing my nails and hair etc. Not something I enjoy. We are all different but this saves me so much money. And I feel free to spend on what matters to me. We are all different and pinch pennies in our own way.

Luxury (for me) is an important necessity these days.

As long as we can still save money of course and live well within our means. That is key (for me).

Financial stability = Peace of mind and security.

openingthewindows.gif .

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you @VRBeauty, its great that you shop and find these great bargains and still look high fashion. ita also a very good thing to take care of yourself when you are taking care of other people.

@Daisys and Diamonds not a downer at all, a year of little spending can wear you down, so maybe you need the opposite of this thread lol! I have definitely gotten better with grocery shopping. In fact last week I didn't even go shopping (minus one $30 trip) because we had so much food still so that enabled us to clean everything out.

@dk168, yes we too will be back to more normal spending next month with the holidays but breaking out of the habit of buying the small things (which add up) will stick around. I do hope things get better for you at work.

@canukgal and @missy, definitely get that the small deliberate things we buy can be part of important self-care. For sure everyone has their line in the sand as you say and life is short and we should make the most of it for sure.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are just doing stockings for Christmas this year, for the first time ever. Every spare cent seems to be going towards my daughter's wedding next year, although she is not choosy, and we have crossed so much off the list so far already. We definitely spend too much on food, but fresh produce is so expensive here.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra, stockings are great, better to get a few things they really need than a bunch of stuff you know? The expense of good food is no joke, where I live they decided to start taxing certain groceries at a higher tax rate so if you buy a bag of salad it is taxed now! If you buy the lower quality processed food though it's not. It is crazy!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are just doing stockings for Christmas this year, for the first time ever. Every spare cent seems to be going towards my daughter's wedding next year, although she is not choosy, and we have crossed so much off the list so far already. We definitely spend too much on food, but fresh produce is so expensive here.

My extended family started simplifying Christmas giving years ago when one part of the family was dealing with economic stress. What a relief! It freed up so much time and energy and money! We never went back to the gift blow-outs. Many years we did a while elephant gift exchange though, which was lots of fun.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some financial goals I want to hit by December 2020, so I’m jumping on the wagon. I stopped getting eyelash extensions a couple weeks ago and now put that $65 every two weeks into my savings account. Tomorrow is my last pedicure before next spring; I’ll be doing the same thing with that money saved as well.

I found a couple cute winter clothes on amazon last night and had to remind myself I didn’t need them.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra, stockings are great, better to get a few things they really need than a bunch of stuff you know? The expense of good food is no joke, where I live they decided to start taxing certain groceries at a higher tax rate so if you buy a bag of salad it is taxed now! If you buy the lower quality processed food though it's not. It is crazy!
:x2

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have a hard time getting on board the “bare minimal expenditure” type of living at this point in my life. As I mentioned in Missy’s thread about what I love about getting older....I love the fact that I don’t have to pinch pennies and loving paycheck to paycheck. I’m also a foodie, so being able to eat out whenever I like, or to get a variety of foods that I want to eat at a grocery store is one of the huge perks of being where I am in life (mid-40’s, height of my career). That being said, I have always done my own hair and nails, and watch what I spend in clothing, I never shop full retail. My clothes and shoes are usually from discounted stores like TJ Maxx or Nordstrom Rack etc.

One thing that IS relavent to this thread that I’ll share is that while we do not have a spendless November, we do have a couple coin jars in the house that we throw our spare change in throughout the year...between the 4 of us, we are usually able to fill 2 large jars (one downstairs and one upstairs) and that equates to around $300 which helps go towards a really nice Christmas Dinner, or presents.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are trying to save a little more these days. My DH is off work on disability, trying to get some issues taken care of, and retire. He will be using a lot of his banked sick time but it will eventually run out. That sounds more ominous than it really is. We will be just fine, but saving a little extra during this time can't hurt.
I don't like to eat out at all during flu season. I eat healthier at home and am not exposed to anyone's germs that happens to work in the food industry. A couple of my kids work in restaurants and many people come in sick because they can't afford to stay home. I try to eliminate purchases of extras and really consider before I spend. I kind of find it fun.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bag of salad??? No, no, just no. Way too expensive for the amount of lettuce that you are getting.
Buy a nice big bunch of romaine or leaf lettuce. I know it's a pain to wash it, but you will save more money for future spinels...............

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally get it @jaysonsmom, the coin jars are awesome, you don't realize how much all that change adds up to and $300 can make a good dent in holiday shopping.

@luv2sparkle, sorry to hear about your DH but I hope he gets everything taken care of, it sound like you have a good solid plan in place to get you through it. I do appreciate avoiding eating out during flu season. I was pregnant twice through flu season and barely left the house!

@stracci2000, right bagged lettuce is expensive but what boggles my mind is that they are taxing ANY kind of salad. Some older folks depend on that bagged salad (maybe arthritis means they can't chop or make their own) and now they have to pay 7.35% tax on that salad, same. Salad should not be taxed at all. I hardly ever buy it but I would like others to still be able to afford to buy it if they want to.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are trying to save a little more these days. My DH is off work on disability, trying to get some issues taken care of, and retire. He will be using a lot of his banked sick time but it will eventually run out. That sounds more ominous than it really is. We will be just fine, but saving a little extra during this time can't hurt.
I don't like to eat out at all during flu season. I eat healthier at home and am not exposed to anyone's germs that happens to work in the food industry. A couple of my kids work in restaurants and many people come in sick because they can't afford to stay home. I try to eliminate purchases of extras and really consider before I spend. I kind of find it fun.
hope your hubbie is on the mend soon

not eatting out much (as in going weeks and months between cafe visits and no takeaways) we have hardly caught any colds - we got one only this entire winter, just as well with Gary's auto imune issues - but that aside we have kept much healthier and had no weird tummy upsets
i think your correct about not eatting out in flu season, last year we both got a really hidouse virus with lingering deafness and ear pain for months afterwards
even with a doctor's note my ex employer were very unsympathetic so i do feel for those people who have to go to work sick

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
out of curiously what country are they taxing salad in ?
in the winter i think bags of salad or salad leaves are just the best value so i find this sad when the powers at be are usually pushing for healthy eatting @StephanieLynn. @stracci2000 how much is tax on other food ?
we have across the board 15% GST here in NZ but i beleave im Australia fresh fruit and veg is exempt ?
or is this about the salad coming in plastic packaging ?

off on a tangent but how does one keep an unwrapped lettuce crisp - i have a new fridge and i use the crisper drawer but i find i still have to wrap them in cling wrap

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
went out today and brought tomato plants and two packets of flower seeds andcsome basil plants - we had a gift voucher

then i got a new pot plant that was reduced to $9, to brighten up our toilet when i went to get an HDMI cable because im so sick of watching netflex on my phone and a new pair of $8 ear buds because im hard on earphones and id wreck my good ones wearing them in bed and i had to listen to my new Sprigsteen archive release with only one ear last night and that will just not do

Then the other half shouted breakfast at a nice cafe

that's it till the next lot of groceries

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I bought my first apartment I lived on $50 a week. That was for food, travel and entertainment. My parents used to buy fruit and veg in bulk so I could share in that. And luckily I could walk to work (except in the rain or middle of winter) and I took a packed lunch everyday. No buying coffees for me! No manicures, pedicures, hairdresser (I have dead straight hair and could cut my own fringe/ bangs). It taught me well. I lived very frugally.
These days I still don’t “waste” money, I’d rather not buy lunch or a coffee and cake while out shopping and put that $20 towards jewellery! I’ve always done that, hence my extensive collection.
But I was going well on my “no spend November” until I saw a jade pendant that seemed a good buy. Might be treated but we’ll see.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds, I'm in the U.S. in one of the most taxed states in the country (Connecticut). They were considering an overall grocery tax but that drew too much opposition so they decided to tax only certain things and to increase the tax on those items from our standard 6.35% to 7.35%. The running joke here is if they could find a way to tax the air we breathe, they would :roll:

I'm glad you got yourself some new ear buds, there is nothing more annoying than only having one working.

@Bron357? Excited to see your new pendant, you have such an amazing collection of jewelry. When I was first out on my own I didn't know how to cook so I ate canned soup every night for dinner, on the upside it was cheap albeit not the best for health with all that salt. Now I make my own, yesterday dinner was a big pot of homemade minestrone, it was delish!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results