shape
carat
color
clarity

New take on the $ dance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I went to my friend''s wedding this weekend and thought this was something you guys might be interested in. They did the dollar dance, but all the money went to a charity that they''d selected. I thought it was a nice spin on it.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
My brother did that at his wedding. It was fun!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
What is a dollar dance?
33.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
It''s when you pay a dollar to dance with the bride and/or groom. You pay your dollar, take a shot and dance. Usually the money goes to the bride and groom. I believe it''s a Polish tradition, but I could be wrong. As far as I know neither the bride nor groom at this wedding is of Polish ancestry.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Cute idea!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure I'd say it's new; several weddings I went to 10-12 years ago did this. I know that it may still be new to some here, though.

While I agree that it's a nice gesture to donate to charity, I still personally feel like the premise of a $$ dance is tacky. I know I'll likely be in the minority in this, but I'm not a fan of asking guests for money.....especially when they've already given of their time to celebrate and most often a wedding gift too.

I'd have no problem with the concept of saying "we feel blessed to have everything we need, so we'd appreciate donations to our favorite charity XYZ in lieu of a wedding gift".

There are enough other events that can be turned into fundraising events; I don't think a wedding should be one of them. Just my opinion.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can see why a couple would think that this could be a good idea. Honestly though, I''m not a fan of the dollar dances, even if the money''s going to charity. It''s still asking people to give more money to something that they probably hadn''t planned on. I understand that they don''t have to participate if they don''t want to but still...

I think if guests want to donate to charity, have it be in lieu of the couple''s gift. I''m with Aljdewey on this one...leave the donations out of a wedding.

BTW, Robbie, I''ve never heard of doing a shot before dancing. I think if people do dance with the bride and/or groom during a dollar dance, they tend to give way more than $1.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2007 4:52:30 PM
Author: aljdewey
I''m not sure I''d say it''s new; several weddings I went to 10-12 years ago did this. I know that it may still be new to some here, though.

While I agree that it''s a nice gesture to donate to charity, I still personally feel like the premise of a $$ dance is tacky. I know I''ll likely be in the minority in this, but I''m not a fan of asking guests for money.....especially when they''ve already given of their time to celebrate and most often a wedding gift too.

I''d have no problem with the concept of saying ''we feel blessed to have everything we need, so we''d appreciate donations to our favorite charity XYZ in lieu of a wedding gift''.

There are enough other events that can be turned into fundraising events; I don''t think a wedding should be one of them. Just my opinion.
Yup, yup, and yup.

We had a "no gifts" wedding and when people pushed, which they did, we told them if they wanted to do something they could make a donation to one of our favorite charities or theirs, but we only shared with those who pushed, everyone else just heard "no gifts."

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2007 9:19:49 PM
Author: KimberlyH

I''m not sure I''d say it''s new; several weddings I went to 10-12 years ago did this. I know that it may still be new to some here, though.

While I agree that it''s a nice gesture to donate to charity, I still personally feel like the premise of a $$ dance is tacky. I know I''ll likely be in the minority in this, but I''m not a fan of asking guests for money.....especially when they''ve already given of their time to celebrate and most often a wedding gift too.

I''d have no problem with the concept of saying ''we feel blessed to have everything we need, so we''d appreciate donations to our favorite charity XYZ in lieu of a wedding gift''.

There are enough other events that can be turned into fundraising events; I don''t think a wedding should be one of them. Just my opinion.
Yup, yup, and yup.

We had a ''no gifts'' wedding and when people pushed, which they did, we told them if they wanted to do something they could make a donation to one of our favorite charities or theirs, but we only shared with those who pushed, everyone else just heard ''no gifts.''
I''m really not a fan of the dollar dance either and we didn''t have it at our wedding. I just thought that if someone was dead set on having one for the tradition of it or something this could be a nicer (maybe?) way of doing it.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2007 10:17:11 PM
Author: robbie3982

Date: 11/26/2007 9:19:49 PM
Author: KimberlyH

Yup, yup, and yup.

We had a ''no gifts'' wedding and when people pushed, which they did, we told them if they wanted to do something they could make a donation to one of our favorite charities or theirs, but we only shared with those who pushed, everyone else just heard ''no gifts.''
I''m really not a fan of the dollar dance either and we didn''t have it at our wedding. I just thought that if someone was dead set on having one for the tradition of it or something this could be a nicer (maybe?) way of doing it.

Robbie, it is definitely easier to stomach in the context you''ve described, it just rubs me the wrong way all around. This is, of course, all about personal preference, what some might find tacky others will consider endearing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results