shape
carat
color
clarity

Neighbor’s dogs poop in my yard problem

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Background:
I’ve been living here for more than 7 yrs. in those 7years a neighbor right next to my house had dogs and it died. For a year or 2, I was free of this problem. But they got dog again and this year they have 2 dogs.
For the past couple years I’ve been living in this house, all the years when they have dogs, all the spring-fall time never a week went by without founding their dog poop in my front&/backyard!!!!! I know its their dogs because the other house next to mine and the next next next next to mine doesn’t have dog. And this neighbor only have my house next to theirs because the other side of their house is a wooded areas.

What happened all these years:
1. First couple years I mentioned it to them briefly.
2. Last year we started to get annoyed, coz my kids played in the yard a lot, especially with covid going on, our yard is basically our escape.
3. Last year I messaged her, I told her about it, that my kids are playing in OUR yard and we don’t want to see dog poop in our yard.
4. She said, her husband always sweep in our yard every now and then to take their dog poop from our yard.
5. She said, just message them whenever I see dog poop in our yard and they’ll clean it.

Sounds good, but in reality, why do I feel I need their “permission” when my kids want to play in our own yard? Or when my DH want to mow our own lawn?????
Why I need to message them first? I want my kids to be able to play in my own yard without afraid stepping on dog poop. Or my husband mowing the lawn without picking up dog poop or stepping on them. Both of them are working so if in the middle of the day my kids want to play in our backyard there’s no way they come to clean it up. And the whole idea of I need to message her first in order my kids can play in our own yard is just absurd.
I think I’ve been patient enough all of these years....

How to handle this situation without fighting with them because they live next door and even if I don’t talk to them, I still don’t want to have awkward relationship. Is it possible to handle this in a civil manner?
I thought I asked other Americans first or Immigrants like me that’s been in this country long enough to teach me how to handle it American way. But last resort, I don’t mind burning bridges since there’s no bridge anyway.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @munchee I am sorry you’re dealing with this. It’s frustrating how inconsiderate some people can be. Would you consider putting a fence up? Honestly they’re behaving rudely and you’ve already spoken nicely to them about this. Other than messaging her all the time I would consider a fence. Fences make good neighbors.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Leave a flaming paper bag with their dogs' poop in it on their porch, ring the doorbell and run?

While this is an old prank and it would get the point across, alas most would think it inappropriate.

The bottom line is that you deserve a yard that is not only clear of excrement, but the parasites that may be in said excrement that work their way into the dirt and lie in wait for a host.

You also shouldn't have to let them know that there is waste that needs to be picked up. It appears you've been nice so far and they've been lazy about it. Ask them to either tether their dogs when they let them out, or fence their yard.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @munchee I am sorry you’re dealing with this. It’s frustrating how inconsiderate some people can be. Would you consider putting a fence up? Honestly they’re behaving rudely and you’ve already spoken nicely to them about this. Other than messaging her all the time I would consider a fence. Fences make good neighbors.
I’ll look up how much a fence cost. I would probably only be living in this house for another a year or two. If its under $1000 I might just install 1 side of fence. If its more then I’ll just forget being a nice neighbor :lol:

@DAF problem is... these days, everyone installed CCTV :lol: and its not my style to do it sneakily:lol: I like living in peace, try to solve the problem in a civil way but if I can’t I’d rather head on :lol: Can I ask them to fence their yard? I think I’ll do that next conversation

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where we lived previously, several of us had dogs, and we never let them foul on anyone else’s gardens. Then a couple moved in with 7 dogs, 1 GSD and 6 Yorkies. They constantly let their dogs run around at the front and they would run over other peoples gardens, including mine, and crap everywhere.

I politely put a note through their door telling them their dogs were messing on mine and other neighbours front gardens and would they mind not allowing their dogs to do it, or failing that, come and clean it up.

The problem persisted, so I took a large sheet of white paper, waited for them to go out, picked up their dog‘s poop, and left it on their drive. This failed to stop the problem, so the next time they went out I got a plastic bag, put the poop in it and hung it on their front door.

When it happened again, I hung the bag of poop on their front door with a note telling them that the next time, the poop would be put through their letter box - minus the plastic bag.

Funnily enough, they didn’t let their dogs roam around at the front again!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh @munchee, this is awful. I can't believe the nerve of those people. Idk, why should you have to go through the expense of putting up a fence, especially when you're only going to be there for a year or two? They are the ones at fault, not you. And why should you be inconvenienced and constantly calling them? And most of the time they're probably not even home. I would tell them their solution is unacceptable and they are going to have to keep the dogs out of your yard. I'm really annoyed for you right now, I'm almost thinking I'd call the cops if the dogs continued coming onto the property. I know that sounds extreme but I'm really mad at your neighbors right now LOL.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll look up how much a fence cost. I would probably only be living in this house for another a year or two. If its under $1000 I might just install 1 side of fence. If its more then I’ll just forget being a nice neighbor :lol:

I didn’t realize you were leaving in a year or two. It’s a difficult situation. You cannot teach people manners nor common decency unfortunately.

Do your neighbors own or rent? If they rent you can contact their landlord. What they’re doing is not ok.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
@Austina your post make me laugh :lol::lol:
@LilAlex I’ll throw it back to their yard this year, spring is coming... but I don’t think it’ll solve my problem because I still need to search my backyard before getting the kids outside...

everytime my DH was going to mow the lawn he got a plastic bag and need to search their dog poop first. But some unfortunate days he missed some and stepped on it :cry2:

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh @munchee, this is awful. I can't believe the nerve of those people. Idk, why should you have to go through the expense of putting up a fence, especially when you're only going to be there for a year or two? They are the ones at fault, not you. And why should you be inconvenienced and constantly calling them? And most of the time they're probably not even home. I would tell them their solution is unacceptable and they are going to have to keep the dogs out of your yard. I'm really annoyed for you right now, I'm almost thinking I'd call the cops if the dogs continued coming onto the property. I know that sounds extreme but I'm really mad at your neighbors right now LOL.

I know... I’ve been patient enough that I put up with it for couple years. The first couple years my kid didn’t go out play in the yard that much because they were still babies. And her Ex-husband was nice, he’ll help us shoveled the snow when my DH didn’t shovel sometime. So at those years I let it go because my DH and her Ex-husband have a good relationship. She have a new husband now which she said he was always picking up their dog poop but we still found poop everytime we went out. And my kids are at the age of playing at the yard a lot now. I need to tell them firmly this year. I can’t let this matter slide... but I don’t think it can change at all if she doesn’t put up fence. I don’t think I can force her to put up fence too.

Last edited:

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t realize you were leaving in a year or two. It’s a difficult situation. You cannot teach people manners nor common decency unfortunately.

Do your neighbors own or rent? If they rent you can contact their landlord. What they’re doing is not ok.

She owned the house. That’s why I’m looking for advice here... I really don’t know what to do.... If dog walkers who once in a while didn’t pick up I’m still ok because it’ll be in the front area which my kids didn’t play much and it won’t be a constantly everyday or couple times a day situation like if they live right next door. And this year she got 2 dogs... last year was only one and its too much already :|:|:|:|

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She owned the house. That’s why I’m looking for advice here... I really don’t know what to do.... If dog walkers who once in a while didn’t pick up I’m still ok because it’ll be in the front area which my kids didn’t play much and it won’t be a constantly everyday or couple times a day situation like if they live right next door. And this year she got 2 dogs... last year was only one and its too much already :|:|:|:|

Another thought. If you can get a video of this you can call your local police department and obtain a trespass warning against the neighbor. You would need photographic proof. And if there a next time this happens the neighbor will be guilty of violating the trespass warning.

Not a first choice but if nothing else works this is something you can do that’s within the law.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think think this is one of those "...and the wisdom to know the difference..." things.

We've been pretty lucky. Our city has tiny lots so plenty of neighbors. The good ones have tended to stay and the crummy ones have tended to move on...

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know... I’ve been patient enough that I put up with it for couple years. The first couple years my kid didn’t go out play in the yard that much because they were still babies. And her Ex-husband was nice, he’ll help us shoveled the snow when my DH didn’t shovel sometime. So at those years I let it go because my DH and her Ex-husband have a good relationship. She have a new husband now which she said he was always picking up their dog poop but we still found poop everytime we went out. And my kids are at the age of playing at the yard a lot now. I need to tell them firmly this year. I can’t let this matter slide... but I don’t think it can change at all if she doesn’t put up fence. I don’t think I can force her to put up fence too.

Right, you can't force her to put up a fence. You can tell her to keep her dogs in her yard though. And it's not your problem as to how she does that. She'll have to either watch them or tether them like DAF said. What do they do, just let the dogs out, stay in the house and let them roam around all over the place? That's not right.

I'm usually very easy going on a lot of things, and I love dogs...but this is just wrong.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's the council animal control dept like in your area ?
Ours is very good
they are cracking down on loose wandering dogs

im assuming the dogs are not accompanied or on a lead when they tresspass on your property to foul

give them a call and see what they say

If you see the dirty muts in your yard get photos

im still pretty anti dog after the kitten that was killed outside our lounge window last year by two wandering dogs

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Is it not mandatory to have dogs fenced at all times where you live ?
They check here when you get your registration

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t give you much advice but I can certainly commiserate. When we lived in NY we had a neighbor with a beautiful husky and we both had fenced -in backyards.
A few times we found their dog’s poop in our backyard. Husky poop is gigantic so I know it wasn’t a stray cat. How that happened I don’t know bc the fence was 6 feet tall and we had one gate entrance in the front, so I think they just flung it over to our yard. We didn’t have a huge backyard so it was very very noticeable.
I never mentioned it to them but when I found it I would just fling it back over.
After a while there was no more poop.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can’t give you much advice but I can certainly commiserate. When we lived in NY we had a neighbor with a beautiful husky and we both had fenced -in backyards.
A few times we found their dog’s poop in our backyard. Husky poop is gigantic so I know it wasn’t a stray cat. How that happened I don’t know bc the fence was 6 feet tall and we had one gate entrance in the front, so I think they just flung it over to our yard. We didn’t have a huge backyard so it was very very noticeable.
I never mentioned it to them but when I found it I would just fling it back over.

Disgusting :angryfire:
I wish we could choose our neighbours
Ive had a dirty nappy and house hold rubbish flung over

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
Get home security cameras to provide irrefutable proof that it's their dog's and that your neighbours aren't picking up after them. I have Arlo brand and have been happy with it. If possible confronting them 'in the act' and insisting they pick up after their dogs. With proof, I would tell your neighbours not to go on your property.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many years ago I had the same problem with my neighbor's dog, so I scooped up the poops and then place it back on their front door step. Guess what?..no more dog poops on my front lawn after that.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Another thought. If you can get a video of this you can call your local police department and obtain a trespass warning against the neighbor. You would need photographic proof. And if there a next time this happens the neighbor will be guilty of violating the trespass warning.

Not a first choice but if nothing else works this is something you can do that’s within the law.
Get home security cameras to provide irrefutable proof that it's their dog's and that your neighbours aren't picking up after them. I have Arlo brand and have been happy with it. If possible confronting them 'in the act' and insisting they pick up after their dogs. With proof, I would tell your neighbours not to go on your property.

Yea I think we need to install cctv facing backyard... we also use arlo for our front door. I try to handle this cheaply without any cost but it looks like I can’t.

I tried to not be a petty neighbor fussing over things, I think its just how we brought up, to avoid any kind of problem, but this been years and we can’t take this anymore...

Is it not mandatory to have dogs fenced at all times where you live ?
They check here when you get your registration
What's the council animal control dept like in your area ?
Ours is very good
they are cracking down on loose wandering dogs

im assuming the dogs are not accompanied or on a lead when they tresspass on your property to foul

give them a call and see what they say

If you see the dirty muts in your yard get photos

im still pretty anti dog after the kitten that was killed outside our lounge window last year by two wandering dogs

I don’t think its mandatory. I don’t know there’s council animal dept exist. So their dogs would just roam around their own yard and my yard. Never go to the street and other neighbors yard because their house is next to wooded areas and mine. So the dogs only go to my yard and their own yard. When they let their dogs go out its not under their watch. Just let the dogs in their yard, which ended to my yard too :x2 all the time:x2

munchee

Brilliant_Rock

Cats always burries their litter apparently... I should start putting the poop back in their yard... but my DH is the one who usually pick them up and I can’t see him doing that.. I might ask him to collect and give it to me so I can put them in their yard poop war?

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I would consider a fence- I would be beyond annoyed at this point, you have been very patient. Otherwise, I think bagging the poop and leaving it by their front door!!!!!

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
CCTV for residential? I recommend Amazon, Costco or other home security which are very low cost. My Arlo was $99 three years ago, no subscription fee and I've used it to monitor contractors, check for pests, and captured so pretty birds. I know women can be averse to technology but this is a very affordable and practical investment in my opinion.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I'm not sure about the rules where you live but where I live, dogs (or cats) can't just wander the neighborhood. Does your town have a leash law? An animal control officer? If so, then when their dogs are in your yard, unleased, you should be able to call the town and have the dogs picked up and held until your neighbors pick them up. Someone suggested that it is a trespass for a dog to come into your yard, but I don't think that would apply in most places, but an animal control officer should be able to help. If their dogs are picked up often enough, and the owners pay the fine, maybe they won't let them wander around the neighborhood doing their business.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
I would consider a fence- I would be beyond annoyed at this point, you have been very patient. Otherwise, I think bagging the poop and leaving it by their front door!!!!!
Fence would cost too much at my pocket while its their dogs and I think I’ll only live here for another 1-2yrs. Our house is built in a 0.33acre land, with smaller front yard so fencing back yard can be pricey.

CCTV for residential? I recommend Amazon, Costco or other home security which are very low cost. My Arlo was $99 three years ago, no subscription fee and I've used it to monitor contractors, check for pests, and captured so pretty birds. I know women can be averse to technology but this is a very affordable and practical investment in my opinion.
My DH is a tech guy to the point that we have both google home and Amazon Echo anywhere in the house. We’re using arlo too in our front door, I’ll tell him to install one/2 in the backyard too.... if its not pricey I thought it costs a lot *obviously I never know those stuff :lol:

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
OP, I'm not sure about the rules where you live but where I live, dogs (or cats) can't just wander the neighborhood. Does your town have a leash law? An animal control officer? If so, then when their dogs are in your yard, unleased, you should be able to call the town and have the dogs picked up and held until your neighbors pick them up. Someone suggested that it is a trespass for a dog to come into your yard, but I don't think that would apply in most places, but an animal control officer should be able to help. If their dogs are picked up often enough, and the owners pay the fine, maybe they won't let them wander around the neighborhood doing their business.

So their dogs would just roam around their own yard and my yard. Never go to the street and other neighbors yard because their house is next to wooded areas and mine. So the dogs only go to my yard and their own yard. When they let their dogs go out its not under their watch. Just let the dogs in their yard, which ended to my yard too.

She always put it on leash when they took them walking in the neighborhood, but unsupervised when they only let them out in the yard (only their yard and my yard). If I call any officer I think by the time they got here it’ll be back to their own yard because dogs move around so much right. There’s no guarantee it’ll be still in my yard... sadly...

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So their dogs would just roam around their own yard and my yard. Never go to the street and other neighbors yard because their house is next to wooded areas and mine. So the dogs only go to my yard and their own yard. When they let their dogs go out its not under their watch. Just let the dogs in their yard, which ended to my yard too.

She always put it on leash when they took them walking in the neighborhood, but unsupervised when they only let them out in the yard (only their yard and my yard)

I am just so bewildered as to why she thinks it's ok for her dogs to go into your yard. I think the time has come to let her know you're not ok with it anymore and you want the dogs to stop doing it. I think it's a good suggestion to contact animal control in your town and see if your neighbors are in violation of any codes.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this @munchee. My kids are grown now but I remember the days when going into the backyard to play was a big help and I'd be so irritated if I had to worry about this every time I wanted to go into my own backyard with my children.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea I think we need to install cctv facing backyard... we also use arlo for our front door. I try to handle this cheaply without any cost but it looks like I can’t.

I tried to not be a petty neighbor fussing over things, I think its just how we brought up, to avoid any kind of problem, but this been years and we can’t take this anymore...

I don’t think its mandatory. I don’t know there’s council animal dept exist. So their dogs would just roam around their own yard and my yard. Never go to the street and other neighbors yard because their house is next to wooded areas and mine. So the dogs only go to my yard and their own yard. When they let their dogs go out its not under their watch. Just let the dogs in their yard, which ended to my yard too :x2 all the time:x2

Oh no
this just isnt right
Its horrible
Maybe Google animal control for your town

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

If i see a wandering dog i ring the council and a dog ranger comes over and looks for the dog
absolutely dogs are not allowed out of their own property not on a lesh and they are most certainky not allowed to wander into someone else's property
This is how our kitten was killed

im really hot under the collar about wandering dogs and thankfully so are our council

a child or a family pet must be safe in their own yard
Really terrible things happen with dogs and children

The council set traps to catch the cat killers as they killed more than just our kitten

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results