shape
carat
color
clarity

Name one thing you love about being older

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a distinguished tweed. ;-) I never see men wearing it here.
Haha I love a man in tweed. My dh started wearing tweed in his twenties and ooh la la. So rock that tweed at any age @OoohShiny!
I started with my wedding suit being a Donegal tweed - neither of us saw each other's outfits till my good lady was walking up the aisle towards me :) and I am sooooo bored with black and grey suits, especially in shiny man-made materials, so I am being super-picky looking for a dress suit right now :lol: lol

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like not having to schedule stuff around my kid being in school and I like not being quite a poor!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like not caring what someone else thinks of me.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really enjoying being established, with all the uncertainty behind me. Both in my personal life and my professional one. I like being married (rather than worrying about whether or not it would happen for me). I like being established professionally (rather than worrying if I would graduate from my program, if I would find a good job, if I would get promoted, if my business would work out...I'm so glad all those worries are behind me). I like having savings and not having to live paycheck to paycheck. I also like not having to be so insecure about my physical appearance. Being solidly middle aged means that if I carry a bit of extra weight around my middle - oh well. C'est la vie. Who am I trying to impress anyway??? I also find that I'm less insecure in general. I worry less about what people think. That's all great. What I wouldn't give for my old metabolism though. And my younger self's skin. Those I do miss a little bit. That and the tight knit group of friends that you have in your 20's before everyone gets married and has kids and drifts into their own lives. I miss that a little too. Not sure I miss it enough to trade the benefits of age to get them back though.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that I tend to actually learn from my mistakes now instead of making the same ones over and over again. I find I have more patience and I am more open to possibilities. I think years and years of experiencing loss has taught me to be grateful for things I took for granted before.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've given up on trying to solve everyone else's problems ie family and friends....

I don't have the energy to be sucked into other people's drama any more.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've given up on trying to solve everyone else's problems ie family and friends....

Excellent!
Kudos to you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were sisters in another life. I feel EXACTLY the same way. I seem very outgoing..and I am to a point...I enjoy people but I need quiet or I get stressed. My idea of a good time is staying home and watching tv at night with my hubby. I like boring..

We were! That is my idea of a perfect evening. Staying home with my dh and the kitties and just watching TV in front of the fire on a cold winter's evening. I don't just like boring- I LOVE it. LOL.

Joanne, big warm (((Hugs))) to you. :halo:

readytogo.gif

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This!

I had a nightmare ex - it was only after hanging out a couple of years after we broke up, when I was trying to get over another break-up (for the record, nothing untoward happened!! :lol: ) that I realised I could in fact just walk away when crap was kicking off.

It was what I believe we call 'a moment of clarity'.

Now I have zero time for people who create drama over nothing. Life is short, I'm not wasting it on morons who feel they must be outraged and angry over petty minor irritations or who feel they need to create 'drama' to spice up their lives. If your life is that empty that you have to create hassles to amuse yourself, go and volunteer at a local charity and put your energy to a productive end, rather than dragging other people down :|

And on a related note, can television networks pleeeeeeeeeeease cancel these 'reality' shows and 'soaps' that exclusively create and/or portray blown-up and unrealistic dramas that only stir up negativity, encourage a negative frame of mind and teach people to act poorly when presented with a difficult situation??

I'm looking at you 'Love Island' and 'Eastenders' - both total wastes of time other than as demonstrations of how NOT to act.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We were! That is my idea of a perfect evening. Staying home with my dh and the kitties and just watching TV in front of the fire on a cold winter's evening. I don't just like boring- I LOVE it. LOL.

Joanne, big warm (((Hugs))) to you. :halo:

readytogo.gif
Warm hugs back to you too @missy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another great benefit of being older is feeling free and healthy enough to get rid of fake "friends". One in particular. Bye bye and what a relief.

It's amazing how fake some people are. Some are amazing actors. Truly.

I generally have a sixth sense for BS but sometimes I want to so badly overlook what is plainly in front of my face just because I never want to purposefully hurt someone. But time and time again being shown that yup this person is so fake and not a friend at all well time to cut the cord. And I am completely good with it because the years have given me a valuable and priceless gift. The gift of wisdom through experience.

Yasss! This exactly. Drama free zone here and so peaceful and lovely it is.

dramafreezone.gif

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are not alone in your thoughts @kenny. They always say goodness wins in the end. I’m hoping this is true. The level of hate and cruelty we have seen the past three years is appalling. My fear is things will get worse before anything begins to get better and it will take many, many years to get back to where we were stood as a country 4 years ago. It’s incredibly sad.

As I get older, I learn that goodness doesn’t always win in the end. That is a storybook ending that adults tell children to make them feel better. Bad people do bad things to good people all of the time. Then they go off and lead wonderful lives with no remorse while the good people suffer. This is reality.

I live this.

Many people live this.

We’re living this right now with our president. There is a very strong possibility he will get re-elected and continue to do harm and feel entitled to do so. Many people are learning that storybook endings aren’t true. Real evil exists. Good doesn’t always prevail.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh.. and I’m in the process of acceptance when it comes to getting older. It feels like a raging storm. I have no love for this process. I wouldn’t go back to being younger but I can’t wait to get to the other side where I feel peace and acceptance. Right now, I just can’t stop looking at plastic surgery before and after photos.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh.. and I’m in the process of acceptance when it comes to getting older. It feels like a raging storm. I have no love for this process. I wouldn’t go back to being younger but I can’t wait to get to the other side where I feel peace and acceptance. Right now, I just can’t stop looking at plastic surgery before and after photos.

You’ll get there @House Cat. They say aging isn’t for sissies and that’s true but eventually we realize one must make peace with what we cannot control. And acceptance brings peace which brings joy. It’s a journey but you will get there. (((Hugs)))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I get older, I learn that goodness doesn’t always win in the end. That is a storybook ending that adults tell children to make them feel better. Bad people do bad things to good people all of the time. Then they go off and lead wonderful lives with no remorse while the good people suffer. This is reality.

I live this.

Many people live this.

We’re living this right now with our president. There is a very strong possibility he will get re-elected and continue to do harm and feel entitled to do so. Many people are learning that storybook endings aren’t true. Real evil exists. Good doesn’t always prevail.

100% agree. Sad but true. We can only do the best we can do and hope for the best. But evil exists and one must be aware and vigilant.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I’ve see so many bad ones @House Cat. Pricilla Presley comes to mind. I’m sure she is a lovely person inside but with all her money she is unrecognizable.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wisdom

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good thread! The main thing that comes to mind is that my brain hasn't aged for the most part. I don't feel my appearance matches my brain, because I don't see myself as old from the inside. Ironically, I was just looking at sites about gray/silver/platinum hair. My hair has always been very dark and I started coloring the gray years ago. I wanted to get past my younger daughter's wedding, which was this summer. I'd like to eliminate the hassle of hair color, but I am not sure I'd recognize that person with the platinum-gray hair!!! Believe it or not, I was thinking about this in relation to my jewelry wishlist! I know the colors that look best on me (mainly black, white, and jewel tones), and white metals in the case of jewelry. I just think yellow gold would look even worse on me once I let my hair color change to a gray shade, so I think I need to stick to white metals (other than maybe a few pieces for the daughter and granddaughters with the coloring for the yg!)!!

We are boring, too, and just enjoy being at home or with our kids and grandchildren or friends and involvement in church. We've had difficulties in this life, but we have been very blessed overall. I don't worry about politics, because about half the people hate whoever is president at any point in time and predict doom and gloom. I very much think happiness can partly come from looking at the glass half full rather than half empty. Too much hate and negativity is not healthy, so I choose to look for the positive. Too many people on dangerous antidepressants. Since we are retired, I am glad that the economy is doing the best I can recall. Low unemployment, retirement funds doing well, new homes being built all around our area. I am thankful to live in a country with the freedoms we have and do hope that will continue to be the case for our grandchildren.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve see so many bad ones @House Cat. Pricilla Presley comes to mind. I’m sure she is a lovely person inside but with all her money she is unrecognizable.
You can get work done without looking unrecognizable. I've never understood how people with so much money, and can go to the best in the field, end up looking worse than if they had aged naturally :(2

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm gonna say the same thing as many others.
I no longer care what people think of me.
And I no longer worry what I look like. I don't care if men look at me or not.
Gray hair, wrinkles, saggy boobs, etc. So what?
I used to stress about my looks. Perfect make up, perfect hair, shoes match the purse, etc. No more!
I haven't worn high heels in years and it's awesome!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! I just saw the thread title after I posted! I clearly didn't answer the question correctly after skimming the replies! It's hard to name one thing. I suppose doing what we want when we want, pretty much, and having the finances to do most of those things (because we worked hard and saved and did not have debt other than a house payment all those years) is one great thing about being older.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The grace to deal with the hard knocks and appreciation of everything, it’s all a gift.
That’s two things but I’m old so...;)2

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
So, now you swim au nautrel? :dance:

:mrgreen:Not exactly what I meant...but maybe one day I'll be old enough to swim au natural and not give a damn about what others think!:lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results