shape
carat
color
clarity

Motion sickness on plane

P

PierreBear

Hey PSers... is there a physician in the diamond house? On long overseas flights, or generally any long flight longer than 6 hours, I get really sick. To the point that I am collecting all the motion sickness bags and warning people next to me that I will most likely be nauseous and can't hold down any food/liquid. I've tried the patch and also some nausea pills. The patch worked once and the other time it didn't though it could have been user error that I didn't put it on early enough.

I was curious if anyone faces this challenge as well and what worked for them? I just went to the physician and got some more patches and pills. I was wondering though if anyone has taken ambien to just knock themselves out to sleep the whole time.

Any help is appreciated.... and my husband and the other flight patrons thank you in advance as well!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1475609131|4083628 said:
Hey PSers... is there a physician in the diamond house? On long overseas flights, or generally any long flight longer than 6 hours, I get really sick. To the point that I am collecting all the motion sickness bags and warning people next to me that I will most likely be nauseous and can't hold down any food/liquid. I've tried the patch and also some nausea pills. The patch worked once and the other time it didn't though it could have been user error that I didn't put it on early enough.

I was curious if anyone faces this challenge as well and what worked for them? I just went to the physician and got some more patches and pills. I was wondering though if anyone has taken ambien to just knock themselves out to sleep the whole time.

Any help is appreciated.... and my husband and the other flight patrons thank you in advance as well!

I'd suggest the scopolamine patch (used properly) and an Ambien to knock you out. :halo:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get airsick, seasick and carsick. This is Australian but you might be able to find something the same active ingredients. I take it and then sleep most of the way;

http://www.keypharm.com.au/products/travacalm_original.php

Note it is NOT the natural product with Ginger with the same name.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always been prone to motion sickness. I just look at a boat and throw up :sick: . The patches work really well. I have also taken pure ginger capsules and pressure points wrist bands together. Dramamine works really well too and since it makes me sleepy, it is good on a plane.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you against the use of a mild sedative? Or perhaps you've tried that and it didn't help? Not a doctor. I get claustrophobic and sometimes have motion sickness or vertigo.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I also recommend the patch and just make sure you put it on with plenty of time for it to start absorbing before the flight. Do NOT mix the patch and a bunch of motion sickness pills... there is such a thing as too much of a good thing in that regard.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get sick on planes as well.
A few years ago I discovered ginger chews. Reed's Ginger Candy or Gin Gin Chews, from the Ginger People.
They can be found in the natural/organic candy section of most grocery stores.
Chew one or two before lift off, and every few hours have another. I usually get pretty nauseated, and these helped immensely on my last few flights. Drug-free, too!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for a Scopolamine patch. Last time I traveled I used half a patch and it worked like a charm. Apply enough time beforehand and wash your hands very thoroughly after applying. And I second SonnyJane in that you shouldn't mix meds here. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

I also use ginger chews as Stracci recommended above. They help with nausea but they aren't enough (for me) to deal with motion sickness. Good luck and smooth travels Pierrebear!

P

PierreBear

Thanks friends for the input! I'm going into the flight with more confidence that the patch will work. :loopy: If it doesn't, I'll pull it off and just try the sleeping pill. I appreciate the thoughts and good wishes. Have a great one!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
PierreBear|1475609131|4083628 said:

I get sick on ANY flight usually, and usually with little warning. The best remedy I've had thus far is to take Zantac around 2-3 hours in advance, have NOTHING more than water prior to a flight for at least 4-5 hours besides that Zantac, and to take a bonine after I get situated before we taxi. I can't read anything/look at a screen at all til we're in the air, and I prefer to have the shades drawn if possible. I also have to be on an aisle if at all possible. If I am with DH alone in a row that's the only time I can do a non-aisle seat because he gets the aisle in that case. I am NOT a good flier. I am just as bad in a car, and cannot be a passenger.

ON the plane, I usually just do water and if I am really feeling gross, I might do ginger ale. But carbonation usually makes it worse.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results