shape
carat
color
clarity

More computer problems - help! - Strm are you out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
strm (and anyone else who is good with computers),
I need your help!

Would you believe, not even a couple months after the last one, I''ve got another virus.
29.gif

Very similiar to the last one, a screen has come up mimicking windows which says "My computer online scan"
and next to the usual icons it has lots of red flashing things saying my documents and HD all have trojans and "Your private data is under attack".

So, I have started to run Malwarebytes again after Strm''s advice last time, and we will see how it goes, hopefully it will
fix it like it did last time.

Now, a screen is popping up saying it is Avast (I do have avast as my virus system) - with sounding an alarm and a voice saying "Caution a virus has been detected" - does this seem right? I''ve never heard it before..
If I select to move the trojan horse to the chest, which is what the instructions are, the whole thing just pops again and again, doing the same thing.
Is this the actual virus doing this or is it actually avast? Should I just ignore it?

I will post screen captures of both problems below.

My question is, apart from malware bytes is there anything else I should be doing right now?

And my main Q - how the heck do I stop this from happening in the future??!!
I''ve been doing all the right things (so I thought) - I installed Avast and check for updates, I have been doing regular Microsoft updates like I was advised
in the last thread - why does this keep happening?
Could it be the sites we look at? And if so, is there any program you can use to tell you if a site you are going to may cause you trouble?

Pretty much the only stuff I look at is my email, my university library site, my banking, PS and some gem and jewellery sites (all PS ones), but there is stuff my Fi looks at (music sites etc), which I think could be trouble. Is there any way to tell which ones are dodgy??

What else can I do to stop this from happening?! I''m literally going around the bend with this stuff, it is soooo frustrating!
39.gif

Thankyou in advance for any and all advice!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
this is what it looks like

crap1.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
and the avast thing..

crap, it seems like its worse than I first thought - malwarebytes has stopped working mid-scan.

Please help?!

crap2.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a nasty one tell AVAST to remove it, continue the malwarebytes scan.

The one 2 punch will hopefully get it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
once they are done reboot and run malwarebytes again.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 2:41:28 AM
Author: strmrdr

thanks strm for replying so quick - how do I tell avast to remove it? Sorry, you know I''m bad at this stuff..
Do you think that avast pop up is fake? It won''t go away..

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
malwarebytes is stopped because of the avast alert blocking the file.
Tell avast to delete it then continue the malwarebytes scan.
The sound from AVAST is normal.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 2:44:16 AM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 4/24/2009 2:41:28 AM

thanks strm for replying so quick - how do I tell avast to remove it? Sorry, you know I''m bad at this stuff..

Do you think that avast pop up is fake? It won''t go away..

click delete.
the avast window is avast

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
oh ok just read your replies thankyou I will try again now

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
what you may need to do is stop the malwarebyltes scan, run the avast scan then run the malwarebytes scan again to keep them from conflicting.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 2:46:03 AM
malwarebytes is stopped because of the avast alert blocking the file.
Tell avast to delete it then continue the malwarebytes scan.
The sound from AVAST is normal.
ok thankyou Strm! malware is starting the scan again, and I will follow your advice to reboot and repeat if it works.

Can you give me any advice on what I may be doing wrong/what more I can do for the future?!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I have my avast resident protection as normal - should I move it to high? medium?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 2:53:38 AM
I have my avast resident protection as normal - should I move it to high? medium?
normal is ok.
The best defense is surf with firefox and add noscript and addblock plus addons to it.
nothing is 100% these days, the bad guys are winning the war.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 3:11:50 AM

Date: 4/24/2009 2:53:38 AM
normal is ok.
The best defense is surf with firefox and add noscript and addblock plus addons to it.
nothing is 100% these days, the bad guys are winning the war.
Thanks Strm - can you pls elaborate or link me what these are?
I have d''loaded and tried using FF, but still prefer IE.
But if it means less chance of virus, I will start using FF again.

Would you advise changing all sensitive passwords etc after having virius like this (ie banking)?

I''m so glad you''re on here, what would I do without your help?! lol
41.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 3:48:54 AM
yes change passwords once it is clean.

They are addons for firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

You can use both.
Us IE for fairly safe sites like PS and firefox for general browsing.
Ok, I will do that. malware finished scanning, found a bunch of infected files and got rid of them - but that "my computer online" screen in still here.
I am going to reboot and try again, wish me luck!

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
I second strm''s Firefox/addons recommendations and would also like to assert that you aren''t doing anything wrong, per se, but the hackers and miscreants are getting smarter, quicker, and more wily. They open new loopholes as fast as AV software/the "good guys" close the old ones.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 7:04:15 AM
Author: Julianna
I second strm''s Firefox/addons recommendations and would also like to assert that you aren''t doing anything wrong, per se, but the hackers and miscreants are getting smarter, quicker, and more wily. They open new loopholes as fast as AV software/the ''good guys'' close the old ones.
Thanks julianna - yep, it is sooo frustrating - I know this may sound silly,
but I just Can Not grasp what would drive somebody to create these things for the sole purpose of
screwing with other people''s lives?!
29.gif

It just really upsets me..
7.gif

One more Q, for Strm or Julianna (or anyone else) - while I was fighting the virus, I decided to be safe and requested my bank to disable my online
banking - now, they won''t reinstate it until I fill out a form detailing what virus and firewall protection I have - frustrating, as the girl on the phone
when I requested it specifically said No Forms to reinstate ! anyway...

Really stupid question coming up - I don''t know if I have a firewall, and what software it is if I do
emembarrassed.gif

Is a firewall included in anti virus programs such as Avast?

I''m sure I look idiotic right now, but in all honesty I''ve never understood the firewall thing..!
And advice welcome !
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and thankyou again Strm - it seems to have worked ...for now
40.gif
lol

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/24/2009 7:28:58 AM

I second strm's Firefox/addons recommendations and would also like to assert that you aren't doing anything wrong, per se, but the hackers and miscreants are getting smarter, quicker, and more wily. They open new loopholes as fast as AV software/the 'good guys' close the old ones.
but I just Can Not grasp what would drive somebody to create these things for the sole purpose of
screwing with other people's lives?!
29.gif

7.gif
Brud, if they get hold of someone's personal bank details for example then it can be an extremely profitable business for them.
14.gif
Sounds like you are ok now! I am not familiar with the progs Strm and Jules mentioned but they might be able to block and warn you if you stumble on a virus. Also you can pick them up anywhere from even the most innocent sites, you just never know.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the firefox suggestion :)

I also use AVG anti-virus, it''s free software, and so far pretty good, no problems. It gives you safety ratings next to sites, screens popups, etc etc.

http://free.avg.com/

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 7:31:54 AM
Author: Lorelei

I second strm''s Firefox/addons recommendations and would also like to assert that you aren''t doing anything wrong, per se, but the hackers and miscreants are getting smarter, quicker, and more wily. They open new loopholes as fast as AV software/the ''good guys'' close the old ones.
29.gif

7.gif
Brud, if they get hold of someone''s personal bank details for example then it can be an extremely profitable business for them.
14.gif
Sounds like you are ok now! I am not familiar with the progs Strm and Jules mentioned but they might be able to block and warn you if you stumble on a virus. Also you can pick them up anywhere from even the most innocent sites, you just never know.
hey bruddah..
here we again huh?
20.gif

Oh yes, I completely understand the profit-driven reasons for it, but honestly alot of them seem to be created simply
to p**s folks off, no?

Yes, I hope those programs can supply some kind of alert - of course, it is only Fi''s sites which are the dodgy ones - right ?
2.gif
41.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/24/2009 7:38:06 AM

Date: 4/24/2009 7:31:54 AM

29.gif

7.gif
Brud, if they get hold of someone''s personal bank details for example then it can be an extremely profitable business for them.
14.gif
hey bruddah..
here we again huh?
20.gif

Oh yes, I completely understand the profit-driven reasons for it, but honestly alot of them seem to be created simply
to p**s folks off, no?

Yes, I hope those programs can supply some kind of alert - of course, it is only Fi''s sites which are the dodgy ones - right ?
2.gif
41.gif
Brud, they are bloody horrible things, not your fault! I do believe these creeps and crooks do have an enjoyment of the misery they cause also, so it could also be a motivating factor.
29.gif

Oh yes, ''tis indeed FI''s sites which are the dodgy ones! Heh!
41.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
He he, I love that you know how it is I fink bruddah lozza.

Yes, they are evil lil cretins - and the worst part is they is probably some no-friends smelly 14 year old that is
outsmarting us all !
face19.gif
emthdown.gif

Ok..but seriously, is anyone able to help with my firewall question?
I know its a dumb one, but I happen to be in that generation between the one that is excused for not
knowing lots about computers, and the one that where they were using them in pre primary - my generation is
the limbo one that was the taught the bare minimum only - so I have a handicap
39.gif
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/24/2009 7:47:08 AM

Yes, they are evil lil cretins - and the worst part is they is probably some no-friends smelly 14 year old that is
outsmarting us all !
face19.gif
emthdown.gif

I know its a dumb one, but I happen to be in that generation between the one that is excused for not
knowing lots about computers, and the one that where they were using them in pre primary - my generation is
39.gif
2.gif
* howls*
31.gif
You could well be right Bruddah!
11.gif
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 7:50:23 AM

Date: 4/24/2009 7:47:08 AM

outsmarting us all !
face19.gif
emthdown.gif

39.gif
2.gif
* howls*
31.gif
You could well be right Bruddah!
11.gif
9.gif
31.gif

do you know anything about firewalls lozza?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 7:35:48 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I agree with the firefox suggestion :)

I also use AVG anti-virus, it''s free software, and so far pretty good, no problems. It gives you safety ratings next to sites, screens popups, etc etc.

http://free.avg.com/
Hey MTG,
thanks for the suggestion. I actually had AVG before, and got a bad virus, so switched to Avast..
personally, I''m finding avast easier to use so far.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hrrmm..after doing some quick reading on Firewalls, I don''t think I really want one -
and now I remember why I didn''t install one in the first place. When I used to have one it was just a PITA..
as in:
consumes extra resources
tonnes of warnings/alerts all the time -annoying
slows down system
may actually make more vulnerable to viruses..

Strm, I would really like to hear your thoughts on this issue? Do you encourage the use of firewalls?
Am I correct that windows has a basic built in firewall?

thanks for helping with my continued education!

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock

Really stupid question coming up - I don''t know if I have a firewall, and what software it is if I do
emembarrassed.gif

Is a firewall included in anti virus programs such as Avast?

I''m sure I look idiotic right now, but in all honesty I''ve never understood the firewall thing..!
And advice welcome !
5.gif
Not idiotic at all! If you''re running Windows, you have Windows firewall already. You can check if it''s working from your Control Panel (Start - Control Panel). Avast might also be running its own firewall, which can probably be toggled on and off by you.
1.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 8:52:50 AM
Hrrmm..after doing some quick reading on Firewalls, I don''t think I really want one -
and now I remember why I didn''t install one in the first place. When I used to have one it was just a PITA..
as in:
consumes extra resources
tonnes of warnings/alerts all the time -annoying
slows down system
may actually make more vulnerable to viruses..

Strm, I would really like to hear your thoughts on this issue? Do you encourage the use of firewalls?
Am I correct that windows has a basic built in firewall?

thanks for helping with my continued education!
You DO want a firewall!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
IMHO, though, Windows firewall is enough. No need for extra firewalls.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results