• Poll closed .

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have given much serouse thought to the power thing
if you look at it on a more personal level
why are people unhappy or angry ?
because they feel powerless in their situation
its not necessarily about world domination
its about having power over your own life wheather it be at work or home or where ever
I agree @Daisys and Diamonds We should have power over our own lives but having power over other people is not something I would aspire to.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
why are people unhappy or angry ?
because they feel powerless in their situation

You have hit the nail on the head here Daisy. People are unhappy when they lack control. Lack control in their lives, lack control at work and lack control over other situations. It't not about being powerful per se but about having at least some control over what you do in life. So people who work under domineering bosses who give them little control are probably not as happy or satisfied as people who have more freedom at work.

It all comes down to how one defines power but if one defines it as having freedom at work to do your job as you see fit with you choosing your schedule etc then that person is happier than someone else who has to punch a clock and do a job exactly as told.

As for money I read something surprising and not surprising at the same time. I initially thought that those having enough money for food, shelter, hobbies etc were just as happy or maybe happier as people having tons of money. Turns out I might be wrong as a study shows that more money can bring more happiness. Though the reason for that is that money itself doesn't make one happy but the fact that it can solve problems that can make one unhappy is what helps. I always say if money can solve a problem it really isn't a problem. IMO.

Researchers have found that when it comes to people who are loaded, those whose wealth exceeds $8 million are happier than run-of-the-mill millionaires. And people who make their own money are more satisfied with their lives compared with those who inherited their affluence.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Money, honey.
Though realistically, the other two tend to follow the first.

Only if one wants it to...I think if one wants to live in relative anonymity it's easy to do. If one isn't searching for fame and power one doesn't have to get it automatically if one is very wealthy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Money. Fame would be the worst! And power, imo, no one has real power. It's just a fantasy of ego.

Totally agree. Fame is the worst. For people like us who just want to live happy peaceful lives. If one is famous peace goes out the proverbial window.:knockout:

With more money we can buy all the OTK boots we want @Gussie :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer living in quiet anonymity for the most part and want no attention from the public so that leaves out fame and power.

It’s amazing how many bling loving introverts we have here on PS! Count me as one that loves boring! Yes..money...and no fame or power for sure..

Haha true dat. I think that's what draws us here. The fact that we are more introverted than the general population perhaps so we seek the companionship of people over the internet. So much easier to have a conversation this way when one is introverted. One feels less shy when conversing over the internet. At least this person does. :halo:

That would make an interesting thread topic. Do shy people post more and join more internet forums than extroverted people do?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
to be honest im undesided between power or money
who's country do i get to be leader of ? :lol:

the money option would certainly solve some of life's problems but i would have liked to have gone into politics .... but im too sensitive to criticism

That leaves you out then Daisy. One cannot be sensitive if one goes into politics. You have to have a hard heart and head IMO to survive the dirty dirty game that is politics. It makes even good and kind and ethical people dirty.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree @Daisys and Diamonds We should have power over our own lives but having power over other people is not something I would aspire to.

i had a friend once, past tence! (most of my friends are workmates or people i meet on the internet on my Springsteen forum) we worked together for 7 years then we both transfered to different branches
she got on the managment program and eventually was sent to my branch and became my manager (i refuse to use the word Boss because there is only one boss and he lives in New Jersey)
anyway wow did power go to her head !
and honestly hand on heart, i never have a problem about peeking order and the line of command but i don't grovel and crawl either

anyway after 14 years lets just say i don't work there any more after she basically managed me out of the bussiness, because once they get on that ladder it can be all about kicking the people below you

i found out recently from my friend who i worked with, who left to go to the ooposition - she just came out with it and asked this person why were you such a b#t#h ?
and she said she always is when she doesn't have a boyfriend
yip just love some of the people who have had power over me, NOT !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha true dat. I think that's what draws us here. The fact that we are more introverted than the general population perhaps so we seek the companionship of people over the internet. So much easier to have a conversation this way when one is introverted. One feels less shy when conversing over the internet. At least this person does. :halo:

That would make an interesting thread topic. Do shy people post more and join more internet forums than extroverted people do?

you have made me blush !
my other forum i have over 20,000 posts (in 10 years mind you)

edit
i went back and checked
over 41,000 posts
thats an awful lot of Bruuuuuuucing !

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting but not surprising findings about what makes someone happy.

There are three main things that make people happy: close relationships, a job or past-time that they love and helping others. On the other hand, money and material things do not have a lot to do with happiness, and people who emphasize them are less happy than those who do not.

I think that is true. At least from my perspective. I know my dh and I are happiest when we are busy and engaged. Busy helping the ferals and homeless animals and finding them homes and doing TNR and feeding and sheltering them. Busy creating things for good use. Busy cycling and enjoying that hobby and other hobbies. And having close relationships even if only a few very close ones. You don't need a ton of good relationships rather just a few close and true ones IMO. I know people who have many superficial friendships and IMO (at least for me) superficial relationships often make me feel empty and lonely within that friendship. My true blue relationships are what bring me joy and peace and happiness.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you have made me blush !
my other forum i have over 20,000 posts (in 10 years mind you)

This is the only forum I am active in but it's all I need. As you know I never have enough time these days but even before all we have been dealing with I prefer posting mainly in this forum. Takes a lot of energy from me so PS is it for online besides a little bit of IG and a very little bit of FB which I am phasing out anyway.

Glad you spread your love around Daisy... You are a delight.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the only forum I am active in but it's all I need. As you know I never have enough time these days but even before all we have been dealing with I prefer posting mainly in this forum. Takes a lot of energy from me so PS is it for online besides a little bit of IG and a very little bit of FB which I am phasing out anyway.

Glad you spread your love around Daisy... You are a delight.

thank you dear missy
im pretty much exactly the same in real life except when i talk you can't tell i can't spell !!!
but i wear my heart on my sleeve

i think one of the really nice thing about the internet is for me its made the world a smaller place

ive never done face book - too much gossip
and i don't tweet

i did get invited to join a private forum a wee while ago but it wasn't diverse enough - it was too politically one sided and i just lost intetest with all the complining (as nice as all the people were)

i try really hard to stay away from politics here
my mum used to say
never talk religion, politics or sport

actually i went back and looked at my post count - it was twice what i thought
holy cow !!!
but when i can't sleep they have lots of tag kind of game threads that are kind of fun at 2am
and Gary has beamed just about all Springsteen related discussions in this house

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you dear missy
im pretty much exactly the same in real life except when i talk you can't tell i can't spell !!!
but i wear my heart on my sleeve

i think one of the really nice thing about the internet is for me its made the world a smaller place

ive never done face book - too much gossip
and i don't tweet

i did get invited to join a private forum a wee while ago but it wasn't diverse enough - it was too politically one sided and i just lost intetest with all the complining (as nice as all the people were)

i try really hard to stay away from politics here
my mum used to say
never talk religion, politics or sport

actually i went back and looked at my post count - it was twice what i thought
holy cow !!!
but when i can't sleep they have lots of tag kind of game threads that are kind of fun at 2am
and Gary has beamed just about all Springsteen related discussions in this house

I love people who wear their hearts on their sleeves. Because that is me too. LOL. And you are so right. The internet has made the world a smaller place indeed. It's very nice to get to know people that otherwise we wouldn't get the opportunity to meet. It's an honor and a pleasure to meet many of you. As for politics it gives me a big fat headache especially now. I know it is important to be involved and I always vote and right now voting and giving money to good causes is what I can do. But talking about it online is not something I can stomach at the moment. Hopefully next election will bring better news so we have something to celebrate.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That leaves you out then Daisy. One cannot be sensitive if one goes into politics. You have to have a hard heart and head IMO to survive the dirty dirty game that is politics. It makes even good and kind and ethical people dirty.

yes i would be eatten up and spat out which is kind of what happened to me when i moved to the big city

although our last two prime ministers (not the current one) were both really nice men
i saw the last one in the airport when we had gone home to Dunedin to bury mum
i got so excitted to see him
but he was just sitting in the public lounge having coffee with his wife and one of his kids
how could i interrupt domestic harmony ?

actually i must be fare and even though i dont like the present PM politically she does seem to be a nice enough lady - you know if she was my neighbour or something

anyway the one before the one before, the then opposition hired a PI to dig up dirt on him - but they couldn't find any ....because they just wasn't any

i really really hate how polarizing politics is getting, its not doing anyone any good.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Only if one wants it to...I think if one wants to live in relative anonymity it's easy to do. If one isn't searching for fame and power one doesn't have to get it automatically if one is very wealthy.

i know !
who are all these mega rich people that buy up all the historic royal tiaras when they come up for auction !!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vote for Daisy for world leader woohoo!

shesgotmyvote.gif

heehee

what upsets me most about the current president is
well i live a long way away
i have zero control over who is president
but i always tried to like who ever was in the white house just as people, because its a lot nicer to like someone that hate their guts and in my view the PotUSA is leader of the free world, leader of the West - the good guys

until now were all very charasmatic chaps with nice families who would be nice to invite to dinner, regardles of parties, regardless of policies
and you know both Bill and George have awsome to die for accents

but this one eats Macdonalds on air force one and he is just so unapologetically rude to people and i just want to slap him for how he still talks about John McCain
i just wish he could be nicer but i don't think it's in him

edit sorry i didn't mean to get political

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose none of the three because all three can ruin your life. I did pick money on the poll.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose none of the three because all three can ruin your life. I did pick money on the poll.

True. It's what you do with it that makes it count for the better vs the worse. So money isn't bad per se. One can do a lot of good if one is wealthy and has the motivation and desire to help others. And uses and invests money in an intelligent manner. In the right hands money is a very helpful thing to have.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that none of these is the source of true happiness. But if I were given the opportunity to choose one, it would certainly be money. (The other two certainly will not be happening!) I like what you said, Missy, about excess money being used to help others. Realistically, I am sure I'd buy more jewelry, we'd gift a moderate amount to help our kids, and then I hope we'd be very generous in charitable giving. In fact, that is our plan anyway.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote money!

Just thing of all the good causes you could help if you had limitless amount of money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results