carat
color
clarity

Megxit

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The press here ...

Pet Peeve Alert ... What country is "here" for you?

Try as I might I just can't remember where all PSers live, even if they've mentioned many times.
At the risk of being repetitive for those who do remember, I try to mention my location every time it's relevant to the content of my post.

Thanks. ;))

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pet Peeve Alert ... What country is "here" for you?

Try as I might I just can't remember where all PSers live, even if they've mentioned many times.
At the risk of being repetitive for those who do remember, I try to mention my location every time it's relevant to the content of my post.

Thanks. ;))

I’m in the UK but it wasn’t relevant to my post - I was referring to an article in a Canadian paper, which I did reference. The opinions summarised in my post were straight from the Canadian article, albeit re-printed in a British paper.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks lissyflo. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t been back to this thread since I posted over a week ago and am dismayed to see where it went. All I will say is I know @Austina in real life and she is a dear and a wonderful person and I think much of what she wrote was taken and blown out of proportion. It’s easy for that to happen when writing online. She is not racist or classist and she didn’t deserve such harsh posts aimed at her.

As far as racism and classism etc yeah it exists everywhere. In every country. Period. It’s disgusting and makes me ill. Of course being Jewish I know hate from others for just being born Jewish. Sad but true. Anti semitism is everywhere too. Hate of any kind is despicable and we as a world have a very far distance to go for a world filled with love and not hate. :cry2: Or at the very least mutual respect. Live and let live and treat others as you want to be treated and that would go a long way in making life and this world a better place to be.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I too am confused. They want to step down as senior royals but yet they go and copyright their royal brand and will make money from that. I was under the impression they could not make money of anything royal related..... Interestingly enough, they did all this just before making their announcement to step down, is this a way to put it in effect and now the Queen has to go along with it or look the fool?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why did they make the most public announcement possible via social media about their intentions and desire for privacy?

How do they claim to want ‘financial independence’ - as millionaires in their own right - while launching a ‘royal’ brand to hock sweats & socks...

Megan, however, chose to join that circus, and she’s not some random 20-yr-old with no experience, worldly exposure, or internet; so I don’t buy the excuse she had ‘romantic, rose-colored glasses’ on and no idea what she was marrying into.

Lastly, I don’t see it as Harry & Megan’s role to “change the future of the Royal family or Monarchy”...

IMO all signs point to dollar signs:
One/both come across overly-entitled;
Harry has perhaps been overly-influenced by someone who wants to be an ‘influencer’ but not ‘influenced’ herself...

I believe this is it in a nutshell... I also believe that MM is a master manipulator and has her sights set on fame/money without "restrictions", no matter the cost.

Of course, none of us really know what's going on, so this is merely speculation on my part.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Accidently deleted my post but it doesn't matter. All I wanted to say it seems people for their entertainment love to "hate on" other people. The British media are the ones who want to have their cake and eat it too. They want unfettered access to the Royals (with other papers/media restricted. Supposedly they can't even post a selfie of themselves without sharing it with these papers first. They want that, and the ability to say insinuate poisonous things to create controversy in order to sell papers and make millions. And all the Sussexes are supposed to do is have a "stiff upper lip".

I have sympathy for Harry and Meghan who are trying to do the best for their family. No sympathy for the British Press (or the people who feed off this nastiness). If Harry and Meghan have to break the mold, so be it. They are not meat. And no I don't think they need to wear sackcloths to satisfy everyone one. No one is putting a bullet to your head to either read these magazines or "buy" what they are selling.

Most people did not have sympathy for Princess Diana until after she was killed. This is a British press who thinks they are within their rights to: hound a family, trespass on private property, intercept and open private mail, wiretap or hack into private phones. And get only a slap on the wrist. Sadly enough they will have more privacy outside their home.

BTW The Queen and royal family signed off on Harry and Meghan branding to sell merchandising, just as they did with William and Kate doing the exact same thing (years) before them. If you have a problem with that, then bring it up with the Queen. Better yet just don't buy the socks. If you don't want Prince Charles to give money to his biological son, bring up with Prince Charles. I'm sure he will give you a royal audience to hear your advice about what the hell he can do with his own life and family.

"don't judge another man until you've walked a mile in their shoes." or
"haters be haters"

Last edited:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, there you have it everyone.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm, my experience and view is slightly different. The press in Germany is rather neutral as a whole. Don't get me wrong, there ARE trashy tabloids. But no one takes them seriously and some opinionated newspapers. As a whole, though, the main news are trying to be very neutral. The reasons are many and I won't go into all the historical details,but today it boils down to the fact that we still have state owned networks. Those are never controlled by the government directly,but by a board that legally has to have a diverse set-up . Funding is via fees. Program Hasbro include cultural pieces and neutral news. Totally unthinkable in the US. Quality has deteriorated since the introduction of private networks.bytvthe Very existence of the old school media outlets has a very neutralising effect. People watch the state channel news at 8-8.15 pm. That's national benchmark for news. It's no frills, no fun,no glitter, no emotion. Foreigners are shocked each time, lol

I'd be tempted to make the effort to watch that on line if i could understand Gernan

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Especially for you, @Daisys and Diamonds ... Click on any of the he videos to start... I'm sure you'll see immediately how absolutely non sensationalist it is, language notwithstanding

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prince Charles to give money to his biological son, bring up with Prince Charles.

Well, no. Prince Charles' money is coming from the taxpayer. The money from his family came from the taxpayer as well. So the taxpayer can bring up this subject if he so pleases.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Royal titles be GONE!

Wonder how long till they update the sussexroyal.com site ...

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are retaining the Dukedom though, just losing HRH, as only working Royals can use that. But this means they will no longer be able to represent the Queen at any event.

So.... that effectively sounds to me in all but name, a full abdication?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And the £2.4m refurb costs will be repaid by them. I’m extremely pleased by that gesture - at a time when taxpayer funds are so stretched that public libraries are having to close and a significant number of London boroughs don’t have the funds to provide school places to cover the number of children living in them, doing otherwise would have been morally reprehensible in my book.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Especially for you, @Daisys and Diamonds ... Click on any of the he videos to start... I'm sure you'll see immediately how absolutely non sensationalist it is, language notwithstanding

Thank you
im very impressed

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, no. Prince Charles' money is coming from the taxpayer. The money from his family came from the taxpayer as well. So the taxpayer can bring up this subject if he so pleases.

The money Harry receives is from estate of the Prince of Wales, the Duchy of Cornwall, it’s not taxpayer money.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think its worker out fine
Granny still loves them like she does all her grandkids
and no body is being stripped of titles- which are a gift from the soverign
They just arnt going to use them
No doors are closed

maybe one day further down the line Harry might like to help out his dad and his brother
I think Sophie Wessex is the younger of her generation at 55 and its a big gap before George, Charlotte and Louie come of age

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The money Harry receives is from estate of the Prince of Wales, the Duchy of Cornwall, it’s not taxpayer money.

I watched this doco on the Dochy of Cornwall the other night
it was really fasinating to see what Prince Charles has been up to all these years
he really was ahead of his time and never got credit for it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are retaining the Dukedom though, just losing HRH, as only working Royals can use that. But this means they will no longer be able to represent the Queen at any event.

So.... that effectively sounds to me in all but name, a full abdication?

Except they do get to keep HRH - they just arnt going to use them
and only a sovereign can abdicate
That's such a very dramatic word

Harry - as much as we love him, is a spair and like all spairs, once he has been replaced as the spair (by dear little Princess Charlotte) its a struggle to work out where they fit in in life

Princess Margaret was still very loyal to her sister and they were great company for each other for all of Margaret's life
im sure Wills and Harry will find a way back to each other in time
a lifetime (hopefully) is a very long time

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Except they do get to keep HRH - they just arnt going to use them
and only a sovereign can abdicate
That's such a very dramatic word

Harry - as much as we love him, is a spair and like all spairs, once he has been replaced as the spair (by dear little Princess Charlotte) its a struggle to work out where they fit in in life

Princess Margaret was still very loyal to her sister and they were great company for each other for all of Margaret's life
im sure Wills and Harry will find a way back to each other in time
a lifetime (hopefully) is a very long time

I don't think the word 'Abdicate' is a very dramatic word? And as for being the 'spare' (why anybody would refer to somebody as that, I would have no idea) he was out ranked by Prince George, not Princess Charlotte

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So
I don't think the word 'Abdicate' is a very dramatic word? And as for being the 'spare' (why anybody would refer to somebody as that, I would have no idea) he was out ranked by Prince George, not Princess Charlotte

Sorry to be confussing
I just ment that in the line of succession
I can't think of a nicer word for spair- back up baby isnt nice either

But Charlote is the spair to George
George isnt the spair as he is first born

But like Margaret was the spair to Elizabeth before Charles was born
Then Ann for a tiny bit, then Andrew to Charles
Then Harry, to William now Charlotte to George
George is in direct line to the throne. Harry never has been

Sorry for my redicoulssness
I need coffee or something

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So

Sorry to be confussing
I just ment that in the line of succession
I can't think of a nicer word for spair- back up baby isnt nice either

But Charlote is the spair to George
George isnt the spair as he is first born

But like Margaret was the spair to Elizabeth before Charles was born
Then Ann for a tiny bit, then Andrew to Charles
Then Harry, to William now Charlotte to George
George is in direct line to the throne. Harry never has been

Sorry for my redicoulssness
I need coffee or something

:lol: And I need my bed! Full on day with a 9th Birthday party - I'm all out of patience & Dry January is killing me!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I didn’t knew you speak German too! I’m located in Austria, so btw...Servus aus Österreich!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t knew you speak German too! I’m located in Austria, so btw...Servus aus Österreich!

Bin eigentlich Norddeutsch, aber momentan: Bonjour aus Frankreich !

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I watched this doco on the Dochy of Cornwall the other night
it was really fasinating to see what Prince Charles has been up to all these years
he really was ahead of his time and never got credit for it

Totally agree with you!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It will be a while before all the hype dies down but there will still be paparazzi

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... it will be a while before all the hype dies down but there will still be paparazzi

I hope you're wrong, but I fear you're right.
If so, Harry will realize his birth comes with a lifelong curse - at least it does given the stupidity and gruesome shallowness of our culture's celebrity worship and politics that embrace free speech. :nono:

How horrific.
I hope he doesn't do anything too drastic.

If he does, royalty will never be the same.
Imagine the soul searching and gnashing of teeth.

Sigh. ::)
Maybe some day we'll all be equal.

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be a while before all the hype dies down but there will still be paparazzi

Yup! While they may no longer be considered ‘working/senior royals’, it’s not like a switch flips and the press suddenly says “that’s all folks, let’s pack up our Nikons and go home.” To the contrary, I think they’re actually at greater risk of intrusion & hounding by the press with less protections than they had in the U.K., and that’s really their doing.

Their actions spurred yet another media frenzy, whizzing in the Cheerios of a highly-respected & greatly admired world figure who just so happens to also be Harry’s 93-year-old Granny, so the press ain’t going anywhere for quite awhile, regardless of what continent they hop to next.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If their aim was to have less attention from the press they certainly chose an interesting way to go about it. Frankly I dont think the marriage will last, but I may just be a jaded old bat.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results