shape
carat
color
clarity

Megxit

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all over the BBC, with the usual hysterical amounts of reporting and conjecture, all based on the same tiny bit of information :rolleyes:

If they want to do it, fair play - I wish them all the best.

If the press were less interested in 'exclusive!!!!1!!1' pieces of 'news' based on inconsequential and irrelevant things they have done (Meghan wears a hat! Harry speaks to a woman!! Royals spend money on security in places where attack is potentially likely!!!), perhaps they wouldn't feel the need to step back.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the chicken and egg problem with the British rags and British public is like tRump and the US voters.

Which to blame?
Both.

If scumbags didn't inhale the scuumy British rags Harry and Megan wouldn't be leaving, and Di wouldn't be dead.
If scumbag voters didn't elect tRump, America wouldn't be the shame of the world.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m disappointed that’s apparently the royal family weren’t consulted & were totally unaware of the impending announcement - that is simply rude and massively disrespectful to the Queen.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for them.

I suspect the royal family weren't consulted because they would have tried to put a stop to it, and the easiest way for Meghan and Harry to escape was to make a public announcement that can't be taken back. For all we know, they've asked and been told no multiple times and finally just had to go for it. I've seen enough families with messed-up dynamics to know that sort of move.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just hope the realise it’s a “two edged sword”.
If they don’t want to be “Royals” what are they?
Just a ginger headed guy with a pretty wife who used to be an actress on TV.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just hope the realise it’s a “two edged sword”.
If they don’t want to be “Royals” what are they?
Just a ginger headed guy with a pretty wife who used to be an actress on TV.

So?
What's wrong with being, "Just a ginger headed guy with a pretty wife who used to be an actress on TV."
Perhaps they won't die in a car crash while being chased by paparazzi.

What's wrong with not being super duper extra special and superior simply by birth?
I see the whole royal system as an unfair anti-equality relic.
I view royalty as the opposite of, but equally unfair as, that other anti-equality-by-birth relic, slavery.

I see both as two sides of the same equally-offensive coin. :nono:d

If Harry gets all this and is putting his blueblood head into a proverbial guillotine MAJOR kudos to him!!!!!

Last edited:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
The media is so awful to Meghan. I feel so bad for her. People just love to bash her like they know her personally... it’s insane. I hope they find a happier, more peaceful life.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I felt so happy reading about this. It’s the right and only thing to do. There isn’t enough room for Archie and Williams children. And now he can grow up normally and find his own path in the world.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this was inevitable, Harry has alluded to not really wanting “the job” in the past and now he has a strong willed partner who can help him achieve it. By any standards they can have a comfortable life with all the money they already have (Harry has inherited a pile of cash from his mother and the Queen Mother, plus his dad has access to a huge income at present.....). They seem to be keeping their titles and have trademarked their name recently on a lot of items, I’m guessing that’s how they plan to get income if they can. Good luck to them, though, I really hate the way our tabloids have actively tried to drag them down. It’s so unnecessary.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
When it comes to the tabloid press I do think it is the media that generates the interest and yes the public feeds it but it's that way around. For instance, if there was no picture of Princess Di running to the gym no one would miss it and if her life hadn't been talked about in the media so relentlessly the interest in her personal life would have lessened.

It will be interesting to watch but I think these two (who are now even further down the line of succession with George, Charlotte and Louis) might even achieve more for the ventures they choose to throw themselves behind than they could following the rules and traditions of The Firm. Even before Meghan came along Harry had talked about opting out but had decided to stay to support the Monarchy. Although I'm not sure how it would work if they want to be part time members of the royal family. Their break away might well result in them both leading happier, freer and ultimately more successful lives.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I can appreciate their need for privacy and independence, it does not gel well with me the way they go about it.
Just frigging get on with it and less of the drama please, thanks!

DK :rolleyes:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
By any standards they can have a comfortable life with all the money they already have (Harry has inherited a pile of cash from his mother and the Queen Mother, plus his dad has access to a huge income at present.....). They seem to be keeping their titles and have trademarked their name recently on a lot of items, I’m guessing that’s how they plan to get income if they can.

My issue with this approach is that a large part of that money is inherited by virtue of him having been a member of the royal family. I whole-heartedly support anyone who wants to live by their own means and strive for positive change in the world. But if they’re saying they want to be free of royal constraints and responsibilities and live to their own purposes and finances, then they should donate all royal inheritances to charity and live on their self-generated income. Claiming the best of both worlds benefits no- one’s cause.

I fully understand their decision and would rather pluck out my own eyeballs than live under the public glare they’ve experienced, but I also agree with @dk168 that they themselves seem to whip up more of a media storm than necessary and could have exited-stage-left in a more discreet manner.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @OoohShiny mentioned, I was expecting to hear about the latest upheaval unfolding in the Middle East in the evening news on TV, to find their so-called big decision being the top story.
They are just one couple, whereas the events in the Middle East affect many more!

DK :angryfire:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish them the best. They are doing what is good for them. A life under a fishbowl is no way to live one's life for many of us. I cannot speak to how they did it because I have not yet read anything about it but ultimately it is their life. Now I just hope the press will eventually tire of them and leave them alone.

If only the media were more interested in real news than "celebrity" fanfare and I suspect any way they would have done it would have caused a brouhaha.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Good for them. If a family environment is not healthy for your immediate family, the healthy thing to do is to take a step back. It is difficult to do, and I can’t imagine how much more difficult it would be when you layer on fame, royalty, and controversy over public funding.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure it will be as simple as walking away. The media will still follow them, and they will probably still be expected to support numerous charities. Hopefully they can find a happier path than having everything dictated by the Royal family.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this was inevitable, Harry has alluded to not really wanting “the job” in the past and now he has a strong willed partner who can help him achieve it. By any standards they can have a comfortable life with all the money they already have (Harry has inherited a pile of cash from his mother and the Queen Mother, plus his dad has access to a huge income at present.....). They seem to be keeping their titles and have trademarked their name recently on a lot of items, I’m guessing that’s how they plan to get income if they can. Good luck to them, though, I really hate the way our tabloids have actively tried to drag them down. It’s so unnecessary.

Yes, but in this vein have to say that reaping all the benefits of the royal birth , keeping the money your ancestors amassed and the titles and access to your network without working for the "firm" sounds very "me me me" to me...

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for them but to be fair I hope they are truly financially independent and not eating into tax payers money for any part of their lifestyle.

Will they give back Frogmore and move somewhere else with their own money? Enquiring minds want to know!

Random note: I read a bunch of tributes to Kate on her birthday and was really amused that Prince Charles's people picked and posted the best and most flattering pics of her. My own vain self would have been extremely pleased if I was Kate. They are really nice pics!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Good for them but to be fair I hope they are truly financially independent and not eating into tax payers money for any part of their lifestyle.

Will they give back Frogmore and move somewhere else with their own money? Enquiring minds want to know!

Random note: I read a bunch of tributes to Kate on her birthday and was really amused that Prince Charles's people picked and posted the best and most flattering pics of her. My own vain self would have been extremely pleased if I was Kate. They are really nice pics!

Keeping! Very entitled couple. Apparently along with security etc too (which costs a fair amount yearly).

Probably better for the monarchy in the long run but the way it’s been handled stinks imo. Announcing now when it will over shadow Kate’s birthday, going against the Queen, etc etc.

I would respect them a lot more if they relinquish all royal titles too. Little chance of that I suppose.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for them.

I suspect the royal family weren't consulted because they would have tried to put a stop to it, and the easiest way for Meghan and Harry to escape was to make a public announcement that can't be taken back. For all we know, they've asked and been told no multiple times and finally just had to go for it. I've seen enough families with messed-up dynamics to know that sort of move.
I too was wondering if this was the case. IMO the family did NOTHING to protect them, how is THAT for disrespectful? I also think this is a difficult "job" to resign from, with immense pressure. So I agree with your guess that they may have just had to go for it.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
They are expecting to live off Prince Charles. Seriously? How is that being financially independent?

From CNN:
What does it mean to be financially independent? Weren't they already?
Under the previous financing arrangements, Harry and Meghan were prohibited from earning any income in any form. Up until now, 5% of the couple's official expenses were paid for by the Sovereign Grant -- an annual lump sum from the UK government. But they say they are now giving up that public funding to become "financially independent."

The couple said they will continue to receive money from Harry's father, Prince Charles, who funds the remaining 95% of the couple's personal and professional expenses through his private estate, the Duchy of Cornwall.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade You are missing a key point - this 5/95 is for their "official public duties" not their entire expenses.
Their website says they: “value the ability to earn a professional income, which in the current structure they are prohibited from doing. For this reason they have made the choice to become members of the Royal Family with financial independence.”
So it sounds like they'll be getting jobs. Meghan has been barred from acting or accepting money for her appearances and sponsorships, which is a huge part of a normal actors income.

It's also interesting this came shortly after the pedo-scandal came up. The media seems rather happy to bash on Meghan and shift the focus away from the pedo-royal.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a great distraction from the Andrew situation. For all we know the Queen has told them to do this for the next year. The media will follow whatever Meghan and Harry do the next year. If you are the royal family would you rather have Meghan and Harry or Andrew in the spotlight?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Off topic but the same reason why the tensions with Iran started? Great distraction from impeachment

Back to the topic... Anyway when the dust settles on their move I’m very curious how they intend to be financially independent.

@telephone89 so why didn’t they say that they will stop taking Prince Charles money too? He doesn’t just fund the official expenses. He funds personal expenses too. I’ve read the statement/FAQ on the new site twice and checked against non-tabloid news sites.

voce

Ideal_Rock
What's wrong with not being super duper extra special and superior simply by birth?
I see the whole royal system as an unfair anti-equality relic.
Nothing's wrong with that from the perspective of an American. The British, however, are snooty and still have a sense of class and the idea that bluebloods are somehow superior and are to be looked up to.

I don't think she's getting any more jewels from the queen. :P2
Has she gotten jewels from the queen? All I'm aware is that she's gotten some of Diana's jewels and has loaned jewelry from the royal collection. Loaning and getting are very different things. You see actresses loan jewelry from major jewelers all the time in Hollywood. Those actresses would be significantly wealthier if they actually owned what they wore.

This is a great distraction from the Andrew situation. For all we know the Queen has told them to do this for the next year. The media will follow whatever Meghan and Harry do the next year. If you are the royal family would you rather have Meghan and Harry or Andrew in the spotlight?
This is a big distraction, but I think it makes the queen equally unhappy. Highly doubt she was the one telling them to do it.

Back to the topic... Anyway when the dust settles on their move I’m very curious how they intend to be financially independent.

@telephone89 so why didn’t they say that they will stop taking Prince Charles money too? He doesn’t just fund the official expenses. He funds personal expenses too. I’ve read the statement/FAQ on the new site twice and checked against non-tabloid news sites.
I'm curious to see what they do, too. When your daddy's flush and you're used to a privileged lifestyle, why would you choose to become a pauper? In their place I would probably do the same thing, at least until I know I can meet 100% of my expenses on my own. It is impossible for anyone to become SELFLESS and truly happy unless it's somebody like Mother Teresa. I, for one, do not expect royals and titled nobility to be saints. I think obviously the reason why they are stepping out of major royal duties is because they don't want to be saints or martyrs, because to continue to grin and bear it is detrimental to their mental health.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't feel like the marriage will be sustainable, likely due to all the negative outside influences. Harry has a chip on his shoulder, understandably. I don't think it will all end well.

I do feel that they were very disrespectful to the Queen, and that does make the whole situation start off in a negative way. If Harry had done all this before he even met Meghan, maybe there would have been a better chance for him to go about this path. I don't think it's Meghan's fault, I don't know her. I think he's always wanted to have more freedom than he was afforded. I hope they can make it work, but I'm doubtful they'll stay together.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The media is so awful to Meghan. I feel so bad for her. People just love to bash her like they know her personally... it’s insane. I hope they find a happier, more peaceful life.

I have been aghast at some of the things said about her. The racist attacks are particularly appalling, but I thought the way the press dragged her difficult relationship with her family into the public was also terrible. Even if she is fair game as a public figure, they shouldn't be. I imagine Meghan and Harry can weather the attacks themselves but that they want to protect their son from the same sort of thing, and stepping back now when gives time for them to sort things out and the press to cool off before he is old enough to start understanding it.

I too was wondering if this was the case. IMO the family did NOTHING to protect them, how is THAT for disrespectful? I also think this is a difficult "job" to resign from, with immense pressure. So I agree with your guess that they may have just had to go for it.

Yeah - Meghan seems very media-savvy, and I'm sure she wouldn't have agreed to do something so controversial if it wasn't the only way. Reports I've read of the royal family make it seem like it must be a very toxic family if you are trying to do anything but toe the line.

Maybe this is very American of me but I don't think people should have to think of "the institution" when deciding what to do with their lives. I don't think it's disrespectful - even for someone financially dependent on their family - to decide how to live. It's disrespectful of the family to try to block it and to publicly air their anger over the decision of TWO ADULTS, imo. If a friend's parents were behaving the same way, I would say cut that baggage loose and don't look back. And I don't think it's different because they're royalty, or because they inherited wealth. That he inherited wealth is hardly Harry's fault, and it shouldn't constrain his ability to live his life how he sees fit. Of course it will take him time to be able to cut the purse strings entirely, if he ever can - he's in his thirties and has never been allowed to be independent. But it's great that he is trying, imo.

It's also interesting this came shortly after the pedo-scandal came up. The media seems rather happy to bash on Meghan and shift the focus away from the pedo-royal.

Right? They're happy to let him sink into the background even though what he did is by any measure way, WAY worse. I've seen worse things said about Meghan and Harry than I ever saw said about Andrew anywhere except, like, the thread about him here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results