shape
carat
color
clarity

Mattress recommendations

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
DH and I will be upgrading from a queen size bed to a king size soon and are in the market for a really good quality mattress, preferably a memory foam, and are in need of some recommendations. DH has done some research and has read really good reviews about Bed in a Box. I've never heard of this company, and to be honest, was pretty skeptical when he mentioned it to me. I was thinking about a Serta iComfort series. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to buying mattresses, honestly, but I do know that I have loved most of the mattresses in the hotels we've stayed in the past few years, and my research seems to point to the fact that Serta is the manufacturer of choice for high-end hotels. I also love a pillow top mattress but DH is against them because he thinks they will wear out (even though I've told him they have warranties about this).

A little about us: I'm a back sleeper and am currently sleeping with a 2+ pillows under my knees/hips to avoid being in pain in the morning. As a result, I often wake up with pain/soreness in the bottom of my feet from being elevated all night. I also sleep with a contoured head/neck pillow, which has alleviated my neck and shoulder pain from sleeping on a regular pillow. DH is a side sleeper with back issues. He can turn just the wrong way at any second and throw his back out. I'd love to be able to be able to go to bed at night without having to adjust 3+ pillows and wake up feeling refreshed/not in pain, and DH would just love to wake up without being in pain period.

I would appreciate any/all recommendations/suggestions for mattresses that you all have. Considering we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed, I really want to make sure we get the mattress that's right for us and will last us for years to come.

Thank you in advance.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Misfit, The only thing I can tell you is that memory foam mattresses feel very warm to me. I have heard this complaint from other women as well. If you get too warm at night I might rethink memory foam. I have also heard they are great if you have aches and pains.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
The biggest complaint with memory foam is that they feel warm to some people. DH and I LOVE our Temper Pedic and I would consider him a very warm bodied person and he has never complained. I am never warm so it's a non issue for me. We both could tell immediately the difference in the quality of our sleep. We both rarely move/change positions/toss and turn/etc. since we got the mattress. Sleep feels deeper and we are less aware of small wake ups in the night. We also feel better in the morning.

Oh, and the other memory foam mattress complaint is the difference in the other main activity that the mattress is used for. Intimate activities are a little different than on a spring coil mattress. There is no bounce back with a memory foam and so it requires a little more effort. Not bad, just different.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pillow top mattress that I've had for *ahem* a very long time. Pillow top wear was not an issue with my mattress, but it's old enough that it's probably not representative of what's available now. It was also more expensive than average; not top-of-the-line, but pretty expensive for it's day. My mattress has a very high proportion of wool in the pillow portion - 25% or more, if I recall correctly. It provides great resilience and temperature control. I suspect pillow tops with wool aren't easy to find, but if you come across one, give it serious consideration.

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock
We bought a Sealy Posturepedic Optimum Radiance gel memory foam mattress several years ago and we LOVE it. I'm an avid side sleeper, while my wife is a back sleeper. Our previous bed as an old spring mattress that was causing quite a lot of back pain for the both of us and we decided to venture into memory foam. While it can get warm, the benefits of the foam contouring to our bodies makes up for it. While it is softer than my wife would like the firmness to be, it's a great middle point for the both of us as I a side sleeper and require a mattress that is not so rigid. We were also able to get it for $600 as at the time, there was an amazon vendor selling the exact same model for that price and the mattress store had to match the price. I'd suggest trying them out first as it is an expensive mistake to make if it ends up being the wrong model for your liking.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a Beautyrest. I am not sure of the style but it is a pillow top with lots of foam. We have had it for probably 8-9 years. It was pretty expensive when we bought it but we still love it. It was a mattress that you couldn't flip but it has held up really well. I think it was the top of the line at the time. Since we bought it, I have gone through menopause an it does heat up like a fire! Usually, I keep a fan on and get up for a minute and the thing cools off. Other than that, it is the best thing we have ever tried. No other bed we have slept it compares. If we are gone for a few nights to travel we are both dying to get home and sleep in our own bed. It was purchased at a chain called Banner Mattress. I think it's national.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought a top of the line Sterns and Foster and a year later returned it because it was sagging on my husband's side. (he's not a big man 175 lbs...). The dd take it back after they sent someone out to measure it and we switched it our for a Beauty Rest.

ipodobe

Rough_Rock
We bought a Temperpedic Cloud mattress just over three years ago. Many people I know scoffed at what we spent and bought the "knock off" memory foam mattresses. Every single one of them hate them and have durability issues with them (sinking in the center) within 1-3 years. We still love our Temperpedic mattress. I don't get too warm on it, but I think it does sleep warmer than a regular mattress. I have back issues and it has helped me immensely. To me, it was worth every penny and I will not hesitate to buy one in the future!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We are also in the search phase, & I found this forum, some great info. Maybe it can provide you with some input. I look at it as sort of PS: place to get schooled prior to purchase on a variety of concerns. Good luck.

http://www.themattressunderground.com

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are looking at a Sleep Number with pillow top stuff. My folks have one and LOVE it. My only concern is dh is heavy and that might be an issue over time. We got about 6 years out of our pillow top before it started to die a horrible death. We did not buy a Serta though and regret it. We'll NEVER buy from the brand we did buy from (Kingsdown Body Surround) again. They don't honor their warranty even when you meet all the criteria. My Serta in the guest room is like 15 years old and it is still in great shape and solid as can be.

We need one too, badly. We just don't know what to get.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
We have a Bed in a Box. 8 years and counting and it's going strong! We love it.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
We bought a new mattress two years ago. We looked at memory foam but I was concerned about the off-gassing and chemicals used in the foam (I have a sensitive nose and I'm pretty conscious about minimizing my chemical exposure). Also, we don't like how memory foam takes a bit of time to 'recover' and you're left with an imprint when you move.

Instead, we went with natural rubber latex and it's amazing! Best bed we have ever slept on. These beds are typically built in movable layers - so, if you like a firmer mattress and your partner likes softer, they can make the bed half and half. If, at some point, you want a softer/firmer mattress, you can replace one of the three layers to achieve the feel you like. They contain natural flame retardants instead of chemical ones. Zero off-gassing. These mattresses are not hot unlike memory foam. And they have contained by a layer of wool which helps regulate temperature as well.

These beds are expensive though (and really heavy, rubber is a heavy product!). But, to us, it's been completely worth it. Brands you could look at:

1. Sleeptek
2. Greensleep

If you're in the States, you may have access to more natural brands than we do in Canada.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I bought a foam mattress 6 months ago from Costco and they have solved the "hot sleep" issue. I would know, I sleep very hot AND I live in the Phoenix area. They've engineered them and tweaked the materials so that there is great airflow and you don't retain heat like you did on the first couple generations of foam mattresses (I hAd one of those and they sure did sleep hot).

I spent $2500 prior to this mattress on a Serta foam and spring combo mattress from Macy's that literally DIED on me and was hot to boot and when I tried to return it, no go. Phooey on Macy's, the last time I'll buy furniture from them.

The Costco mattress was $350 and it was a little cheaper than another one we bought from Costco after that because the $350 mattress did not have reinforcements to the edges of the bed (if you sit on the edges routinely you want the reinforcements; I don't, so I saved some money). I bought the foundation for it on Costco.com.

I like Costco.com for this kind of purchase because you can take it back no questions asked.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I have a tempurpedic Cloud mattress and I adore it.
Be careful with memory foam, some get very hot, but some brands use special materials that won't get hot (or as hot). Research research research! Also be very wary of any mattress warranty. I sold mattresses for awhile (at Brookstone) and I can tell you mattress warranties are no good. It has to be in practically unused condition for them to honor it. So don't let sales people try and sell you a type of mattress because of an "amazing" warranty. A good mattress won't need one.

Also let your back get used to any new mattress (especially if you go from coil to memory foam, or vise versa) it takes 30-60 days for you to get really accustomed to it. You lay on it in the store and it great, sleep on it and you will feel different. You might feel restlessness and sleep issues (or even back pain) during this adjustment period. So if you CAN buy from somewhere that gives you a 60-90 return exchange policy definitely shop there if you can!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett|1423170284|3827920 said:
Also let your back get used to any new mattress (especially if you go from coil to memory foam, or vise versa) it takes 30-60 days for you to get really accustomed to it. You lay on it in the store and it great, sleep on it and you will feel different. You might feel restlessness and sleep issues (or even back pain) during this adjustment period. So if you CAN buy from somewhere that gives you a 60-90 return exchange policy definitely shop there if you can!

This is a really good point too! We found it a bit strange going from coil to no coils; no pain but our bodies felt a bit different at first.

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock
ckrickett|1423170284|3827920 said:
I have a tempurpedic Cloud mattress and I adore it.
Be careful with memory foam, some get very hot, but some brands use special materials that won't get hot (or as hot). Research research research! Also be very wary of any mattress warranty. I sold mattresses for awhile (at Brookstone) and I can tell you mattress warranties are no good. It has to be in practically unused condition for them to honor it. So don't let sales people try and sell you a type of mattress because of an "amazing" warranty. A good mattress won't need one.

Good to know for future purchases!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a new king mattress about a year ago. I did a lot of research as well, and ended up happily buying an Original Mattress Factory bed without a pillow top. The reason I opted for no pillow top is because every one I have owned in the past, as well as most ppl I talked to, said how it dipped in their sleep spot within a few months. I am a back & side sleeper also, and always have a pillow between my knees to take pressure off my SI joints in hips/back. I wanted a good, supportive mattress with a little cushion, but not a permanent cushion so as not to have the dipping. I also loved the latex mattress when I was shopping mattresses, and decided to get the good supportive mattress and buy a latex bed topper (different than memory foam). It does not have "memory" and bounces back immediately. Also, with the type of topper I got, I can fluff it up when I change the sheets so as not to have the dipping issue. It's beenfantastic! So glad I didn't get the pillow top! By now, I would be cussing about the dipping, for sure!

Also, don't buy into the "no flip" mattress tactic. Yea, mattress flipping is a PITA, but ... flipping & rotating your mattress is part of what ensures you get the promised longevity out of it as well as ensures even wear and prevention from dipping.

There is a great mattress forum I would suggest you read up on ... Mattress underground or something like that. Apologies is tha is against the ToS for PS, but in this scenario, given its not about jewelry, I hope it's okay I share that.

Good luck! :wavey:

jess719

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I did TONS of research before buying our new mattress. I think we tried every mattress in the area. We ruled out memory foam because of off gassing/toxic fumes, they tend to compact over time, and they are $$$$$. The coil mattresses just did not have the longevity for the price. The sleep number had a problem with molding because of bringing humid air in and out to change the setting.

We finally settled on a latex mattress, and we are soooo glad we did. We went through Arizona Premium Mattress Company, where they customize your mattress specifically for you. They can even make each side different if you want. Latex is taken from the rubber tree, so there are no toxic fumes. It does not compact, sag or wear out. One of the mattress store managers told us that they stopped selling them because they didn't wear out fast enough. There wasn't enough profit! He said if we could find one, get it! We saw a video of them opening the fabric on a fifty year old latex mattress, and it was still usable!

Nothing beats coming home to our latex mattress!

P.S. we used the mattress underground as well. they were a very helpful, friendly community

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Latex...will never have another kind the rest of my life. It is the best bed I have every slept on. It is also double-sided so will get much longer use than your typical one-sided mattress.

We got ours from Original Mattress Factory and have had it for 5 years and probably have another 10 years of use, easily.

https://www.originalmattress.com/serenity-foam-mattress/overview (ours is the LATEX)

We also have latex pillows and I never slept as well as I did once I had the right pillow. Those are for life, too!

https://www.originalmattress.com/bedding-and-accessories (RejuveNite latex pillows, I prefer the Restora)

MisterMadelise

Shiny_Rock
You spend about 30% of your life on a bed, so it's always worth the splurge!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I grew u on latex bed. Moved to spring, single cool, recommended by the physical therapists and now come full circle back to latex. Each one was tested so that I have the support and sleep that I need with my bad back.

But I must say that we recently moved our youngest to her big bed : we bought an ikea mattress hokkasen medium firm... OMG.. Better than the latex one for me..... It is only one sided, unlike the latex which can be used on either side/flipping it over. I now don't mind sleeping in bed with the youngest when she is a bit needy!!!!!

But horses for courses. It may not be suitable and latex is readily avail in most places....

Happy hunting!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am following this thread with interest and might have info to add once I finish some research of my own. We have 2 king latex foam mattresses (cannot remember anything else about them) that are both 11 years old now. One doesn't yet need replacing as we only use it part time but it's probably time to think about replacing our other mattress. I like soft and my dh likes firm and somehow these mattresses fulfill both our requirements. Not sure they make them anymore but in any case perhaps technology is better now a full decade plus later so will be researching our options.

I never realized how many different types of mattresses there are and I have to say it is very confusing! The way we bought mattresses in the past were to lay on them in the store and choose. LOL how naive we were. Now my head is spinning with the choices and I cannot help but feeling the manufacturers are confusing us on purpose. Many of them give their own names to the same mattress making it even more challenging to figure it out.

Thanks for starting this thread Lil Misfit and good luck on deciding which mattress to purchase!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
this may be a little off topic. But we had issues with memory foam pillows being hot (even though our mattress was perfect) and we moved to barley pillows, and OMG do i love them!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies. We went mattress shopping today (how romantic, on Valentine's Day! :love: ) and pulled the trigger on a Serta iComfort Visionary Plush EFX. The moment I laid down on it I knew it was the one. It will be delivered tomorrow! Can't wait! Also....we decided to stick with a queen size because we really like our bed frame (sleigh bed) and weren't really looking forward to spending even more $$ on new furniture. Also, DH realized that if he's more comfortable (the whole idea of a new bed), he won't need to be tossing and turning all night, eliminating the need for more space.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
That's great!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update Lil Misfit. That reminds me I need to do some research. I am going to check out your recommendation and please update us after you have slept on it for a while. We need a king because as you know we have 4 kitties and oh man, do they hog the bed in the mornings LOL.

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
We just had a tempurpedic cloud supreme breeze delivered this morning. We did a ton of research and were tossed between a sleep number and the tempurpedic. Thankfully, we have 60 days to "test" it out. I hope we're as happy with this mattress as everyone I hear is.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
L2L, the Tempurpedic in the store where we got ours felt hard as a rock compared to the one we got. I couldn't believe the difference! Ours was delivered about an hour ago and it's a lot firmer than the one we laid on in the store. I know the one in the store has been broken in, but I guess I was expecting it to be a little softer when we got it. We've got 120 days to break it in! :naughty: I hope we both love our mattresses!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1423153575|3827787 said:
We are looking at a Sleep Number with pillow top stuff. My folks have one and LOVE it. My only concern is dh is heavy and that might be an issue over time. We got about 6 years out of our pillow top before it started to die a horrible death. We did not buy a Serta though and regret it. We'll NEVER buy from the brand we did buy from (Kingsdown Body Surround) again. They don't honor their warranty even when you meet all the criteria. My Serta in the guest room is like 15 years old and it is still in great shape and solid as can be.

We need one too, badly. We just don't know what to get.
I can't say enough good things about the sleep number bed. It's the best thing that ever happened to me.

Huff26

Rough_Rock
Hi :wavey:

I know this thread is older- but in case anyone ever looks it up I had a couple of things to add. I worked for 5 years at a well known mattress store chain- ahem they have the singing commercials with the red shirt delivery men.

So one of the things I wanted to point out about warranties- 1. You need to have a cover over the mattress that is liquid proof to be able to get them to honor it. Or at least any of the big names such as Sealy, Tempur, BR, ext. 2. There can be no stains on the mattress what-so-ever or they will blame that for their "failed product". 3. You have to carefully read the paper work but most of them also require you buy the matching box spring- or they will blame it not being a matched set. 4. You also have to make sure it has center supports with feet touching the ground, other wise they blame "sagging"on your bed's foundation. 5. Each brand has a minimum that the mattress has to sag before they will replace it- otherwise it's called "good impressions".
So with all of this in mind- warranties are not what they are cracked up to be-but if you follow those guidelines you will also rule out any other possibilities of ruining your new set :)

Secondly, I would also say that crickett's suggestion of a 60-90 trial period is very important. Never-ever buy where they won't let you have a trial period because everyone's body reacts differently.

Beware of too good of deals. Ehem- please don't read on if you do not have a strong stomach- in certain states it is completely legal to sell one of the mattresses that someone else returned during their trial period. Yes the sales person must tell you and usually they are for about half of the original price of a new set. It can be a GREAT deal if you want a nice set for your guest suite or even a memory foam for your growing kid-wihtout the premium. If you do purchase this kind of set- be aware it comes with no warranties and you need to inspect it thoroughly. Never buy one that's got a defect or stains- or let them sell you on that version but getting you a different one with the same deal. You need to see the one you purchase and inspect it before you sign off on delivery- those are all no returns as well.

Let's see what else? With memory foam and off-gassing. Yes it can be pretty stinky. Your best bet is to get it delivered in the morning, turn on the fan, open the windows, and shut the door for the day. Do not put any sheets on it until that night right before you go to bed. This keeps the smell from clinging to your sheets/duvet.

That's all for now- if anyone has any particular questions I would be happy to answer. Hope this is helpful :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results