shape
carat
color
clarity

Martha Stewarts recipes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone ever tried any of Martha Stewart''s recipes? I have made a few from Martha Stewart LIving and I am done. Yesterday I made a cake from her Feb issue and it was very involved and a lot of work, which I don''t mind if the payoff is good. But it wasn''t. The recipe said to cook the cake for 40-45 minutes. The thing was almost burnt after 23 minutes. It had a sauce that went over the top that said to cook it for 5 minutes and it would end up being a certain amount and it was way more than that after cooking 20 minutes. I have tried her recipes before and they were never really bad but just not that good for the amount of work involved. I wonder if she tests these recipes. I read a thing about cookbooks recently and it said sometimes they put these recipes in their books without testing them and they flop. I can usually make a recipe work. I make a Paula Dean one on occasion and they always come out good.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have one of her cookbooks but I've never made a thing from it. Always too complicated...and it's not like I don't love to cook!!! She does have one great icebox cookie recipe I love, and come to think of it, I did make mini pumpkin tarts once, but it took FOR-EVER!!! Love Paula, but her stuff is too fatty IMO...ten tons of butter...can't do it!! I do typically make stuff from Giada DeLaurentis, Ina Garten, and Emeril though...

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 4:02:48 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I have one of her cookbooks but I''ve never made a thing from it. Always too complicated...and it''s not like I don''t love to cook!!! She does have one great icebox cookie recipe I love, and come to think of it, I did make mini pumpkin tarts once, but it took FOR-EVER!!! Love Paula, but her stuff is too fatty IMO...ten tons of butter...can''t do it!! I do typically make stuff from Giada DeLaurentis, Ina Garten, and Emeril though...
Yep. We always laugh how if one stick of butter is good, Paula will add two. That woman has to be a heart attack waiting to happen.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. I used to get that little FOOD magazine, and I was never happy with my results. I love Giada''s recipes - have never had a bad one! - and Ina''s too. Most of my recipes come from either Giada or CL, I think (and now from PS!)
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have used a few of her recipes...they are definitely really detailed and time consuming which i am not a fan of...and they never came out particularly fabulous for me lol. the one that did stick was her mac and cheese, i would make that like 2x a year and i just adapted it to be more healthy yet still using 90% of the same elements and now we have it more like once a month..and it''s a big hit. but i always add more spices etc than her recipe since it was pretty bland the first time we made it. but yeah can''t say i am totally overall SUPER impressed by her recipes...which is kind of funny. i find that cookinglight for me has some of the easiest and most flavorful recipes in general and is consistently good.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE her sage/buttermilk/tobasco chicken cutlets! Yum! I also made her (well, it was mix of her and william's sonoma) apple and shallot boneless pork chops YUM!!! those are really the only two...But I really don't follow to the T.... I improvise a lot...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love her Royal Icing for cookie and I made her mac and cheese and it was to die for!!!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
martha stweart recipes don''t turn out for me. i don''t think they test them before printing.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 8:32:15 AM
Author: ladykemma
martha stweart recipes don''t turn out for me. i don''t think they test them before printing.
That''s our theory, LK.

I do like her scalloped potatoes. She uses gruyere cheese. They are very tedious to make so we only do it when we are having company.

I might need to try the mac and cheese.

Mara, we have tried a few CL recipes too. My hubby and I like to cook together and we tried the pot roast recipe on the cover a few months back. I love it. He doesn''t love it as much as me but it makes two dinners so he is on board with it. :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
allison if you do the mac and cheese, add way more cayenne and nutmeg than her recipe allows for if you want FLAVOR. the first few times we made it it was SO Bland. and we also use 2% milk and i use 2% sharp cheddar to help keep the fat and calories down. also sometimes i sub pamesan for the emmenthaler, but we always use cheddar and gruyere. if you like it a little less creamy, use a bit less cheese and milk. i have made it with less and it turns out great. also to cut fat/cals more, i use a 45 cal bread for crumbs and i use butter spray to spray on the crumbs rather than drizzling real butter all over them! but we love our three cheese mac and cheese, so we definitely still make it!
3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Funny timing: this thread! I made her Parmesean Risotto tonight (From the Comfort Food Cookbook). I halved the recipe so I dunno if it was "perfect" ... and I didn''t cook it *quite* long enough -- so the texture was a bit more al dente than I''d like ... but overall it was pretty good!

Generally I like Rachael Ray''s recipes better - they seem more, hmmm, intuitive. Less obtuse. Last night we had the best freaking thing ever ... Pretzel-Crusted Chicken with Chedder Mustard Sauce from RR''s 365: No Repeats cookbook. DH could NOT stop talking about it. He said it was the best thing we''ve EVER made! (I still say that Mushroom Lasagna is tops!)

That Paula Dean cracks me right up. I''m from the South and I remember cooking with "grease" and loads of butter! Now that''s YUMMO! I saw one of her shows recently & she was making Snow Ice Cream! Man -- I haven''t thought of that since I was a KID! But we''re due for snow on Valentine''s Day and I''ll have a big bowl ready to set outside just in case!
2.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results