shape
carat
color
clarity

legal question- Lawyers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Hi

I was wondering, i know that as an employer, under equal opportunity, it is illegal to refuse someone for a postion based on gender or age. I was wondering are there laws requiring that a vendor must meet a certain level of just cause to refuse to take on a customer? say a vendor wants to refuse to work for a customer simply because he they don''t feel the personalities match, can you get sued for that? (i guess most applicable for my question would be NY state law but i''m also curious in genereal) thx in advance.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, let me get this straight. You are selling a product to someone and you just decide that you would prefer not to sell to that customer? I''m not familiar with NY law, but in general you are allowed to choose clients however you want and it is perfectly legal.

If situations were reversed and you were the client looking to hire a vendor, you theoretically couldn''t discriminate against them based on their status in a protected class.

Vendors of any kind generally reserve the right to work with whomever they choose, and personality is not a protected class regardess, so you can discriminate based on personality anytime as long as the discrimination is not based on that person being a part of a protected class.

Did that make sense? Hope so!

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 2:20:30 PM
Author: neatfreak
So, let me get this straight. You are selling a product to someone and you just decide that you would prefer not to sell to that customer? I''m not familiar with NY law, but in general you are allowed to choose clients however you want and it is perfectly legal.

If situations were reversed and you were the client looking to hire a vendor, you theoretically couldn''t discriminate against them based on their status in a protected class.

Vendors of any kind generally reserve the right to work with whomever they choose, and personality is not a protected class regardess, so you can discriminate based on personality anytime as long as the discrimination is not based on that person being a part of a protected class.

Did that make sense? Hope so!
i think i got it. If i don''t like ''em i don''t need to sell to them :) It''s perfectly legal. Is that the gist of it?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless NY state law has something else going on, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results