shape
carat
color
clarity

Laundry (and maybe marriage) advice

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get mildew smell out of clothing? And by mildew smell I mean clothes that were forgotten in a washing machine for 4 days with a stench so bad that when I opened the washing machine and discovered them it made me gag. And by clothing, I mean non-bleachable, predominantly black work wear that is not dry cleanable? I have tried both vinegar and baking soda, and while things are better, they still smell and if I can't fix them, I will have to throw them out. This is literally everything I own except for one skirt, one top, and my suit jackets that are dry clean only.

I could also use some pointers on how to forgive DH for doing this (yet again)...

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soak the clothes for a few hours in a mixture of laundry detergent and a full box of baking soda. Drain. Place in washing machine that has been cleaned by running 2 cycles of heavy bleach and hot water. Wash with second box of baking soda and laundry detergent. Rinse 2x.

Beat husband about the head with hard stick. J/K. Maybe.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@doberman's advice is good. The mildew is likely in the washing machine so cleaning the machine is imperative. I have lots of mildew problems due to the south Texas humidity. Never use scented laundry products; it will make it worse. In all loads I use a cup of white vinegar and a few drops of tea tree oil.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soak the clothes for a few hours in a mixture of laundry detergent and a full box of baking soda. Drain. Place in washing machine that has been cleaned by running 2 cycles of heavy bleach and hot water. Wash with second box of baking soda and laundry detergent. Rinse 2x.

Beat husband about the head with hard stick. J/K. Maybe.

Playing devil's advocate... would the last bit be acceptable if it said wife? ;))

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the upside, new year new wardrobe! :dance:

Definitely second cleaning the machine first. You can buy a washing machine cleaner or make your own.

For whites, I would soak in oxiclean overnight and then wash. Use steam cycle I'd your machine has it.

Athletic clothes are probably not salvageable because it's almost impossible to get mildew out of them.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The internet says to try borax as well. The husband can make it up to you by going out to buy some.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um I think he should make it up to you by buying borax AND something that sparkles! Any excuse to buy bling.....;)2

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thirding the need to clean your machine first.

Have you tried soaking the clothes in high percentage undiluted vinegar? I've done this with delicate items with good results. When it's about to be tossed anyways, I'd try high percentage vinegar first, then more baking Soda,then borax. If it's still not ok and you'd throw the items out anyways, maybe try a spritz of bleach into the detergent department while the water is already running into the machine ...

dazzle66

Rough_Rock
I have a similar problem. And also very smelly, beyond disgusting kitchen rags. I set the washer to as hot as possible, load everything in with my regular detergent (Persil) and a couple cups of vinegar. Turn the dial to soak, and let everything sit in super hot water with the soap and vinegar. It's gotten every trace of smell out of my laundry. So much so that I think hot water and vinegar must be magic?

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I don't know where you live (i.e., what the current weather is), but sunshine works wonders. When I cloth diapered every month I'd lay all the diapers out on the deck in the sun for a few hours to refresh them. I might try that if possible if the very strong long soak in vinegar after washing the washer doesn't work.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I also cloth diapered and ditto the comment about the sun.

I bought some Rockin' Green detergent designed for sports clothing recently that did wonders on gym clothes. I have used it on my little boys' stinky clothes and it has done a great job of getting the funk out.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, this might take a *big* gift!

I‘m limited to cold water because of the fabric type,and we‘re in the dead of winter here so no outdoor hanging can occur. I have let them soak in straight vinegar for about an hour and am now doing a pre-soak cycle in the washer with more vinegar. And I ran a cycle of bleach through the washing machine to clean it too. fingers crossed. If not, next step will be borax and tea tree oil. And maybe a new husband. Still debating on that one.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once the machine is clean, if other suggestions don’t work, try soaking the clothes overnight in Oxyclean. If you’re limited to super-cold water only and worry the Oxyclean may not fully dissolve, put the Oxyclean in a tub or pitcher of warm/hot water first and stir till dissolved, then pour that into the machine with cold water, stir it up again, and put the clothes in to soak overnight. In the morning, add some detergent and run a normal/appropriate cycle for the items to wash as normal. If you still smell a faint hint of the mildew-y odor, repeating this once should do the trick. OC is amazing!

Separate but related, we are super diligent about keeping the washer lid open when not in use, and even pull the detergent tray out so that it’s constantly ‘aired out’ and doesn’t get that mildew-y smell on its own from being damp & closed up. We also run a ‘clean’ cycle about once every other month or so with bleach just to be safe. Our current washer is an HE but a top load. I had two HE front-loaders that used to get that smell all the time (not as easy to keep the lid open), and I swore I was done with front-loaders after that.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a front loader and the door doesnt stay open, you can order a stick from amazon that can prop it open.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

There are challenges to using chlorine bleach and plastic and rubber in machines. I know they sell bleach but I understand it is corrosive to parts. There are washing machine cleaners that do not contain bleach and I do advocate leaving the door open when not in use and wiping any residual water that might collect in door guards (front loader), as well as using non scented soap.

As to your clothes...wellllllllllllll new ones? As to the husband......NO COMMENT! :D

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you haven't done so, clean your washer, you've got mildew inside the washer and thats not going to help much.

Lysol concentrate. https://www.amazon.com/Lysol-Concentrate-Purpose-Cleaner-Disinfectant/dp/B0722ZJ8QF Yeah I know but trust me, saved my washer once. I used 1/3 cup. Add to it some orange or lemon oil (must be pure!) this stuff https://www.amazon.com/D-Limonene-Extract-Extracted-Degreaser-Deodorizer/dp/B073RQ3CBC/ use 1/4 cup (its strong, does not take much!)

Hottest and longest cycle you have. one with a long soak cycle will do it.

If you don't have access to lysol concentrate, use straight bleach with D-limonene. on hottest and longest cycle.

Next, you need to get the stuff out of those clothes. This is really good! https://www.amazon.com/Lysol-Laundry-Sanitizer-Additive-2X90oz/dp/B0759NL96S I like to use sal suds in the wash especially with mildew issues (in florida you can get that no problem....lol) but you can use your regular soap. Sal suds is very clean rinsing, you don't need lots of it. https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-Suds-Liquid-Cleaner/dp/B0061VV67I/

Now, the issue is if you've put the things in the dryer, if you have that smell might be baked in there. (I'm hoping not!)

and yes bop hubby! put a sign over the washer that makes both of you aware to always keep it open when not in use.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@Arcadian I was going to recommend the Lysol sanitizer product--but the scent is strong, or too strong for me. I didn't want to replace one odor with another. FWIW.

cheers--Sharon

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Vinegar is used to open the fiber cuticle of silk, whether charmeuse, jersey, tussah, georgette, crepe de chine, et cetera.

For cotton and rayon fibers, salt is used. If your clothes are even 50% cotton fiber, use salt to pre-soak, being careful not to agitate the load as it will essentially 'sand down' the surfaces that rub against each other. Soak for an hour or more, if using cold water. Then drain and spin, and re-wash with your choice of detergent. Bonus: antibacterial as heck!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others I've had my husband do the same thing, it took me a week to get the smell out of the washing machine itself, the clothing was easier than the machine.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your advice (and support). I have been channeling Yosemite Sam since I made the unhappy discovery, in my underwear, 20 minutes after I needed to leave the house yesterday for a big meeting (I was super late because I had been looking everywhere for my clothes).

So, I did clean the washing machine (we had one of those pucks specially designed for this, so I used it). Then I did the sniff test to make sure that even the gasket around the door smelled ok (it did - I'm pretty sure there's a fair bit of bleach or some other kind of anti-mildew sanitizer in the washing machine cleaning pucks). Then I soaked everything in straight vinegar for an hour (maybe I should have added some salt - know that you mention this @PreRaphaelite, I use salt for red wine stains on my tablecloths and it works great, but I didn't think of it). And then I put it on the presoak setting in my washing machine for another hour, then did a double rinse, and then a wash with double rinse, and I might have just gone nose blind - I'll know for sure in the morning - but I think that did the trick. Yay.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarcasm seems to be a lost cause these days.

Not lost - I got it ;-) - but I have seen/heard of adverts being pulled for even implying sexism or marital violence, no matter if it was joking!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a front loader and the door doesnt stay open, you can order a stick from amazon that can prop it open.

Or, for free, just use a zillion things laying around the house or garage.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you tried vodka yet? I’ve never used it myself, but I’ve heard success stories from the sewing world

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
We have had tons of problems with this. Not necessarily leaving a load like you’re describing, but with random laundry getting mildew funk. What has worked for us....a thorough cleaning of the inside of the machine (front loader), especially inside the seal. Switching to powder detergent (unscented), and NO MORE than 2 tablespoons per load. Apparently the liquid stuff can build up a residue in your machine and get really gross.

The biggest thing, though, and what may be the magic bullet in your situation, has been non-chlorine bleach in every load. I freaking love this stuff. We use Clorox Colorload.

Tried the Lysol Laundry Sanitizer, but I could not deal with the smell (am super sensitive to scents). The non-chlorine bleach will just take it away without an odor.

In a major mildew situation you could probably do a pre-soak with the bleach (seriously, it is ok on black, I do it all the time). And I would go as warm with the water temp as you can.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your advice (and support). I have been channeling Yosemite Sam since I made the unhappy discovery, in my underwear, 20 minutes after I needed to leave the house yesterday for a big meeting (I was super late because I had been looking everywhere for my clothes).

So, I did clean the washing machine (we had one of those pucks specially designed for this, so I used it). Then I did the sniff test to make sure that even the gasket around the door smelled ok (it did - I'm pretty sure there's a fair bit of bleach or some other kind of anti-mildew sanitizer in the washing machine cleaning pucks). Then I soaked everything in straight vinegar for an hour (maybe I should have added some salt - know that you mention this @PreRaphaelite, I use salt for red wine stains on my tablecloths and it works great, but I didn't think of it). And then I put it on the presoak setting in my washing machine for another hour, then did a double rinse, and then a wash with double rinse, and I might have just gone nose blind - I'll know for sure in the morning - but I think that did the trick. Yay.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I would tell you to avoid vinegar for the clothes, though. I went that route when we had a particularly bad load of clothes that got skunked. OMG. The vinegar stench was every bit as bad as the mildew and just as difficult to get out.

I tried baking soda as well. Didn’t really work.

A well meaning friend told me to try vinegar plus baking soda. All I could think of was those school science project volcanoes and foam cascading out of my washer door. No thank you. That’s when we found the colorload bleach.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
posting to follow for advice. I've had this happen before too (the kids not the hubby's fault).

I think hubs owes you a new wardrobe if can't get mildew smell out ; )

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, early in marriage I taught my husband never, EVER to wash ANY of my clothes! He does wash his own! But early on, he washed my new burgundy corduroy pants with a load of mixed whites and colors. His pink underwear was a visual reminder to never touch my clothes again! :lol:

I live in the south where it is humid. I leave my washer open after every use and never use liquid detergent. I have not had a problem with mildew in the washer for that reason. But I have had occasional issues with towels getting mildew just from being wet and not washed soon enough. I take a plastic tub and mix a LOT of white vinegar (like half) with water and soak the towels overnight, then wash. That has fixed the problem for me. I hope you can salvage your clothes!!!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you are on the right track. I would tell you to avoid vinegar for the clothes, though. I went that route when we had a particularly bad load of clothes that got skunked. OMG. The vinegar stench was every bit as bad as the mildew and just as difficult to get out.

I tried baking soda as well. Didn’t really work.

A well meaning friend told me to try vinegar plus baking soda. All I could think of was those school science project volcanoes and foam cascading out of my washer door. No thank you. That’s when we found the colorload bleach.

I read about mixing the vinegar and baking soda if neither had worked individually too, and had the same mental image as you.

I think most of the mildew smell is gone today. The vinegar smell though is quite prominent despite several clear water rinses. I am debating using some of this that DH brought home in the hope that it would help: Oxy Clean Odor and Stain Remover. It says it is colour safe. I also made him buy some Borax. But the colour safe bleach sounds like a longer term plan.

On the marriage front, I have repeatedly told DH to stay away from my clothes. This is not the first incident, or even the first this month. We have gone in this progression: 1) please don't wash my clothes - just leave them in the hamper (the shared hamper; after he shrunk every one of my nice t-shirts before we were married), 2) this is my laundry hamper. Please keep your stuff out of it and I will wash my own clothes (after he shrunk stuff of mine that accidentally didn't get sorted out of the pile when he was pulling his stuff out of the shared hamper), 3) Please stop putting stuff in my hamper (after he put a bunch of wet towels onto my dry clean only work clothes that I had in my separate hamper because I knew I would remember to pull them out to dry clean them, resulting in one of my favourite jackets being ruined), 4) Stop f-ing putting stuff in my hamper! (after he shrunk my favourite skirt two weeks ago because he had put sheets "temporarily" in my hamper because it had less stuff in it, then didn't see he had grabbed my skirt when he washed the sheets with bleach on a hot water sanitize setting - and then dried it in the dryer and hung it back up in my closet hoping I wouldn't notice that my midi skirt had turned into a mini skirt that would not zip up), to 5) This is my hamper. I am putting it in a completely different room so you will never be tempted to put anything in it again. Touch it and die. (which is where he retrieved my clothes from, promised to wash them all in cold water and hang them to dry, and which against my better judgement I agreed to given that I was working over the weekend). I'm starting to think that this is either the only way he is able to passive-aggressively communicate his anger towards me or he has some kind of weird compulsion about doing my laundry. Now he is claiming that he forgets his laundry in the washer all the time (which might explain a few things about why the wash machine needs to be cleaned so often, as well as why I can't seem to get my sinus allergies under control despite copious use of antihistamines and steroid nasal spray).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results