shape
carat
color
clarity

kitchen or jewelry?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll def take a look at Ivy and Rose. But I kind of have my heart set on a low profile 3 or 5 stone ring. I was super happy with my bezel 5 stone ring, probably should have just kept it, but hindsight is 50/50. So, knowing myself, I should probably just wait until I can make that happen.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll def take a look at Ivy and Rose. But I kind of have my heart set on a low profile 3 or 5 stone ring. I was super happy with my bezel 5 stone ring, probably should have just kept it, but hindsight is 50/50. So, knowing myself, I should probably just wait until I can make that happen.

What about waiting for something to pop up on LT?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offence but is this a joke? Kitchen....quality of life is a daily enjoyment....jewelry can come later. Buy a CZ ring..... My 2 cents.

FM
Who needs a kitchen when you have a diamond ring on your finger. :whistle:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm doing plan c, see if i can Weedle my mom to give me one of her antique rings.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, visited my family, and no go with getting a family ring. Even though she promised my sister and I the rings many years ago, she now wants to hold onto them as she said, so she can sell in case of emergency. She is afraid of running out of money and likes to feel she has a "cushion". However, she refuses to have them evaluated and appraised because in her mind they are worth "more" doesn't want to face reality... It would be nice to have something from great grandmother and grandmother and I am disappointed, but I understand the way her mind works and I will not be able to change her mind. In fact talking to her will just make her more stubborn. I have a couple small rings from my father's side. It makes me at peace to go ahead with plan to get a ring of my own, that has no strings attached. I will just try to be reasonable about it!
On the plus side, workers are scheduled for this Sat for electrical and carpentry work! Really looking forward to having kitchen done. If this goes as planned, after this will just be installing things in cabinets (lazy susans, pull out for trash), tile backsplash, and refinishing floors.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, visited my family, and no go with getting a family ring. Even though she promised my sister and I the rings many years ago, she now wants to hold onto them as she said, so she can sell in case of emergency. She is afraid of running out of money and likes to feel she has a "cushion". However, she refuses to have them evaluated and appraised because in her mind they are worth "more" doesn't want to face reality... It would be nice to have something from great grandmother and grandmother and I am disappointed, but I understand the way her mind works and I will not be able to change her mind. In fact talking to her will just make her more stubborn. I have a couple small rings from my father's side. It makes me at peace to go ahead with plan to get a ring of my own, that has no strings attached. I will just try to be reasonable about it!
On the plus side, workers are scheduled for this Sat for electrical and carpentry work! Really looking forward to having kitchen done. If this goes as planned, after this will just be installing things in cabinets (lazy susans, pull out for trash), tile backsplash, and refinishing floors.

Well shoot, I'm sorry PG. I agree with you that the pieces are not going to be worth as much as your mother thinks...but that is pretty common, I see people post on PS thinking the same thing with their vintage pieces. I understand her fear about running out of money (even though the reality is these rings probably won't supply her with much) and it is her jewelry so I guess her wishes have to be respected. But yes, I can see where you'd be disappointed.

On a happier note, the kitchen sounds like it is coming along, and it's going to be beautiful! I'm excited for you, and I hope you post pics when it's done.:appl:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a lot got done this weekend! Tuckered out. Dishwasher still needs to be leveled and plumbed out, but everything else in kitchen is now functional. Still a few minor cabinetry work, plus installing tile backsplash and refinishing floor. I'm still trying to figure out storage. I got rid of a table and upper cabinet, as well as a hutch that stored the bread, snacks, some baking supplies as well as small appliances. I like how the room feels but still need to figure out organization. In retrospect I wish I put a tall upper cabinet that included a small appliance garage, rather than the corner upper cabinet I put there...

Also, I broke down and bought a demantoid garnet. After visiting the Field museum gem gallery and seeing all the stones, I realize that just something I want. I'll decide when I get it if I will keep it. And if so, then decide whether to set that or make a 5 stone diamond ring.

Last edited:

in-the-air

Rough_Rock
Premium
Kitchen! Jewelry can be taken care of anytime.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your kitchen sounds nice. You will enjoy it. I also would get your diamond mounted in a simple solitaire or inexpensive setting so you can at least enjoy it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The guy I am seeing, has more plans for my home! He would like to renovate the master bedroom bathroom area as well. His ideas are good, would make my house more comfortable and liveable, and I know he can do them in a cost-effective manner. But I'm kind of tired of living in a construction zone. And the monthly $ outlays.

My obsession before, was to get a 5 stone ring made. Now my current obsession, I am thinking of having a toi et moi ring made, with a round diamond and an oval tsavorite garnet I have. Might not cost any less however since it is a non-standard setting.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, so sweet of him to want to renovate your bathroom! But I get that you are a bit worn out from the kitchen reno. I love toi and moi rings, I think it's a great idea! :appl: David Klass is know to be pretty reasonable.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the original dishwasher sourced didn't work out, so sprang for a new dishwasher https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpo...with-Stainless-Steel-Tub-WDTA50SAHZ/301699836.

And - decided to go ahead and get the ring made. I was very tempted over the last month to "make do" and pull the trigger on a solution that isn't my dream ring (3 or 5 stone). So before I do something foolish I'm putting in the works to have David Klass make a 3 stone for me.
I love his delicate 6 prong work and engraving work. But overall I think I'm a bezel gal. I know I would be happy wearing a bezel ring the rest of my life. I figure if I want a delicate "girly" ring, I can always do that in sometime the future.
I will be paying off dishwasher and ring at same time, but I think i'm going to take a few months off renovating, and just enjoy my house.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
inspiration pic
mail

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the original dishwasher sourced didn't work out, so sprang for a new dishwasher https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpo...with-Stainless-Steel-Tub-WDTA50SAHZ/301699836.

And - decided to go ahead and get the ring made. I was very tempted over the last month to "make do" and pull the trigger on a solution that isn't my dream ring (3 or 5 stone). So before I do something foolish I'm putting in the works to have David Klass make a 3 stone for me.
I love his delicate 6 prong work and engraving work. But overall I think I'm a bezel gal. I know I would be happy wearing a bezel ring the rest of my life. I figure if I want a delicate "girly" ring, I can always do that in sometime the future.
I will be paying off dishwasher and ring at same time, but I think i'm going to take a few months off renovating, and just enjoy my house.

Congratulations!!!:appl: And wishing you the best of luck. I think you will be thrilled with your choices. David Klass does beautiful work.

inspiration pic
mail

LOVE this.:kiss2:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@partgypsy I've been following this thread but haven't commented as yet. Sounds like things are now going well for you!
I think taking a break from renovations is no bad idea the mess and chaos can get totally on top of you and it sounds like you have come a long way already with your house.
Also so pleased that you are going ahead with your ring plans, I'm sure the finished ring will bring you such a lot of pleasure and I love your inspiration ring. I love me a bezel but I think engraving and bezels can work beautifully together too if you did want to incorporate that (I wasn't sure from your post!). Have you got CADs yet?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I just made the decision yesterday, so no cads. Here is another pic I really like from another pricescoper. I wouldn't mind engraving on the shank, but I don't "have" to have it either. 3 stoneexample.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And another one. The other styles I like are delicate 6 prong heads, or 4 prong with more detail work. I do know I like settings where the 3 stones are round and separated looking, if that makes any sense.

3stone6prongring.jpg

Last edited:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
anyone have any comments of bezel versus prong? They are all ideal cut diamonds so they should perform well in a bezel, and I always like bezel. But I also want the diamonds to dance with each other as well, if that makes any sense.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love bezel set 3 stone rings! I really like the added hand presence bezel set rings have too.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I did do a 3 stone bezel ring, any suggestions to add any design elements to the area right below the bezel? (I'm not sure what it's called, but the side view). Keep it as open or possible, or add something? Please feel free to share pics!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the other design style I like antiquethreestoneringfront.jpg antiquethreestoneside.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Help! I need to make a decision? I can't see the poll option, but it is
1) bezel
2) six prong, 3 prong on side
3) fancy/antique looking 4 prong such as north south east west, with more petal looking prongs.

I need to decide.

My biggest hesitation in getting the bezel, if some time down the road, I wanted to switch out the center stone for a slightly different stone (slightly bigger, higher color) I could do it. Maybe a 10% chance of doing that. But a bezel setting, can't really switch out stones without destroying the setting.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided to go six prong. what do you think of this design? 46099-Quad.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No comments, either good, bad or ugly? I've havent had a six prong ring made, would love pointers.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i like the 6 prongs, 4 often makes the stone look square. it's all in how the tips of the prongs are executed imho. are you doing claws or tabs or something else?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want them to be tiny. I don't know. I just want something low and simple. This might be too fussy.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will look nice with 6 prongs as long as the prongs are small. The profile is very pretty.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think it's too fussy at all! I would give the jeweler an example of what you want the prongs to look like though.

Some examples

six prong on a multi stone ring
il_570xN.1137920513_js9s.jpg
Tab prongs
20180215_MC_Engagement_Tile1_5x3Promo_US_tiffany_engagement_diamond_rings_v1.jpg
moogle 6 prong.jpg

Claw prongs....six on center stone, four on sides 03415fdf368d7bba64689045a50ea3bf.jpg

The most common prong. Don't know what they're called but more rounded.
ring_setting_19663136_2.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm going back to the bezel design. Thanks all for your input.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results