shape
carat
color
clarity

Job dust for DH

amc80

Ideal_Rock
DH quit his job in law enforcement back in August, when we relocated to the Pacific Northwest. We figured it wouldn't be too hard for him to find something, but we were wrong. He does have the option of going back into LE, but, given the current climate against LE, he would really rather not. The job market up here is very tight, and it's even harder when coming from such a specialized field. He had an interview for a great job back in November. They told him no news was good news, since the application process involved an extensive background check. He just started a low paying, but good benefits, job last week. Today, he FINALLY got an email from the interview back in November, asking him to fill out the necessary documents so he can start the background process. I have no idea what took so long, except to say that it's a state job. Once background is done, he has to do a polygraph and physical, and then he's in.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/prayers/dust/vibes for him! And to anyone else battling job markets in regions where EVERYONE else wants to live, good luck!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BIG A$$ DUST!!!! It sounds like the 'good' one is in the process of coming thru! Hang in there!!! :wavey:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Good luck! We are kind of the opposite. DH was military for 13 years and then we moved to the PNW in November from San Diego and he just recently started working in LE. I'm with you and your DH about the "current climate", but we are in a fairly small community up here so it's very different policing, in my opinion. DH started interviewing/applying back in April and JUST got hired last month, that's how long the background check process was, so that seems standard for any gov't stuff up here. Fingers crossed!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to you both! LE is so hard. He used to love it, but it's just not worth it these days, especially with two little kids and another on the way. This job pays well and has great benefits...and it's in the same town where we live, so no commute. His background shouldn't be too tough- he was at the same agency for 11 years.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1453760960|3981385 said:
Thanks to you both! LE is so hard. He used to love it, but it's just not worth it these days, especially with two little kids and another on the way. This job pays well and has great benefits...and it's in the same town where we live, so no commute. His background shouldn't be too tough- he was at the same agency for 11 years.

Not sure where in the PNW you are, but we are pretty small town here in NW WA (about 25,000 residents). The most they deal with is traffic and the occasional meth lab. As far as I'm concerned it's safer than what he WAS doing by a large margin. If it were somewhere else I probably wouldn't be as thrilled. No commute would be the biggest perk of all! Hope the check goes smoothly (I'm sure it will).

amc80

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1453761358|3981387 said:
amc80|1453760960|3981385 said:

Not sure where in the PNW you are, but we are pretty small town here in NW WA (about 25,000 residents). The most they deal with is traffic and the occasional meth lab. As far as I'm concerned it's safer than what he WAS doing by a large margin. If it were somewhere else I probably wouldn't be as thrilled. No commute would be the biggest perk of all! Hope the check goes smoothly (I'm sure it will).

Thanks! We are in Vancouver, so it's a pretty good size. Bigger than where we came from. He's also pretty sick of shift work, so it will be really nice to have a M-F job. We've never had weekends off together in the 6 years we've been together. And no more worrying about working holidays and such.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like just a matter of time before your DH receives an offer! I'll keep my fingers crossed and send positive thoughts!

Filling a government job from outside the organization (and even from within) can be a lengthy process. Its not unusual for 12 months to pass from the initial application to an offer being made.

Stay positive! :wavey:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best wishes to you and your DH!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending positive thoughts to you guys. Idk what field your DH is searching for jobs in now, but has he considered Loss Prevention for any major retailers? It could be an interim position until he finds exactly what he's looking for, and the pay isn't terrible (at least not in larger metro areas). Just a thought. Good luck!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending you and your dh lots and lots of ***DUST***. (((Hugs))) to you amc.

fairy%20dust.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of Dust for your Hubby! And, some extra dust for speeding up the process!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending a lot of job dust to your DH, amc. I hope he receives good news soon!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sendomg tons of dust and good wishes to your dh!!! Hoping for good news soon!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Lots of dust coming your way in hopes that DH gets the new job!! :appl:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tons of dust! Sounds like positive things are coming your way.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone! I will be sure to update. He's going through the background packet right now, and it's extensive. For example, he has to list our closest two neighbors, plus provide contact info, including emails. We know our neighbors in that we say hi when we see them, but that's about it. Fun stuff.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending lots of PS dust and positive thoughts your way amc80.

It took the local PD 4 months to run backgrounds on myself and DH (we are just volunteers) so I can imagine how extensive it would be for his if he is a sworn officer.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
dust and positivity for you both!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to update. DH is still in the background process for this job. He met with the background investigator a few weeks ago and was told references would be called the following day. Well, people JUST started getting calls in the past few days. I have no idea what the holdup has been, it's so frustrating.

But, in the mean time, DH applied for another state job (I think it was mid-December when he applied). He's since interviewed and been offered the job! It doesn't pay quite as much as the other one, but it's maybe 3 miles from home, he gets a take home car, and it's a very casual environment. A lot of the management are former law enforcement, so he feels right at home. Apparently he beat out 22 internal candidates, and who knows how many externals. He starts on the 21st.

The best part is it's a "normal" schedule- M-F, 8-5. Actually, it is very flexible and he can shift his schedule as needed. This will be the first time EVER that we've had the same scheduled. He's excited about not working graveyard/weekends, and I'm excited about not being a single parent all the time.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80,

That's wonderful news! Congratulations to your DH!

Many people don't know what its like to work, or be in a relationship with someone, with unusual work days/hours.

I'm so happy for you both that you'll be joining the 'normal' Monday to Friday crowd. That's a huge benefit! :appl:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
amc, congrats to your husband, that is fantastic news!! And the timing couldn't be better--he'll have several months under his belt (and will hopefully feel a bit settled) before the baby arrives. Having evenings and weekends together will be amazing for you. And since he's working so close to home, he can help with daycare dropoff/pickup, which will be nice. You both must feel like a big weight has been lifted from your shoulders.

Things always have a way of working out for the best...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yayayay!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: congratulations!!!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent!

Best jobs I ever held were state jobs, with the State of Alaska. Bennies, pay, everything.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1457374273|4001101 said:
amc, congrats to your husband, that is fantastic news!! And the timing couldn't be better--he'll have several months under his belt (and will hopefully feel a bit settled) before the baby arrives. Having evenings and weekends together will be amazing for you. And since he's working so close to home, he can help with daycare dropoff/pickup, which will be nice. You both must feel like a big weight has been lifted from your shoulders.

Things always have a way of working out for the best...

Exactly! I work across the river in Oregon, so depending on the time of day it could easily take me an hour to get to the kids in an emergency. It will be so nice having him right there. And yes, he'll finally be able to help with dropoffs and such.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
azstonie|1457379190|4001129 said:
Excellent!

Best jobs I ever held were state jobs, with the State of Alaska. Bennies, pay, everything.

Yeah the benefits are pretty nice! The insurance premiums are about 1/4 of what they are through my work, with way better coverage.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to your husband, amc! That's great news!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful news amc! :appl:
Congratulations!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
how wonderful!!!!! sending happy dust your family's way..

celebrate!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am delighted to hear your DH got an offer for a job from the state. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results