shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler trying to talk me out of sapphire

redASET

Rough_Rock
Everyone gave you really good advice. The last ring you showed would be a very beautiful style. I would NOT pick a wedding band now - let her do that or do it together.

You can also always get a temporary setting, like a solitaire from stuller, to mount the diamond so she can wear it right away and tell her you would like to design a dream ring with her. Would she appreciate that?

Yes, I'm very grateful for everyone's input.

The diamond is going into a basic four prong basket solitaire setting like I've seen in many of her searches. I will pitch the idea of dressing it up with a collection of different wedding bands.

If she wants to redesign, she can, but I was always going to offer this, even with the halo. Nothing's permanent. I'm guessing these boards have seen many posts about fixing botched designs after the proposal. Call it one less now, ha ha

I do pay 5% less import tax for a loose diamond, but I feel like I have to give the poor jeweler some business after he spent the weekend putting sapphires into a halo CAD because the client doesn't know anything about style.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I'm very grateful for everyone's input.

The diamond is going into a basic four prong basket solitaire setting like I've seen in many of her searches. I will pitch the idea of dressing it up with a collection of different wedding bands.

If she wants to redesign, she can, but I was always going to offer this, even with the halo. Nothing's permanent. I'm guessing these boards have seen many posts about fixing botched designs after the proposal. Call it one less now, ha ha

I do pay 5% less import tax for a loose diamond, but I feel like I have to give the poor jeweler some business after he spent the weekend putting sapphires into a halo CAD because the client doesn't know anything about style.

You can’t go wrong with a classic solitaire! I’m very excited for you - you’ve been very thoughtful! Keep us posted and feel free to share pictures with us!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! So pleased for you. Now - the important stuff....

The ring!

Is the oval slightly offset? Looks like it from the photo. Is that to allow for a matching wedding band so the stone is centred over the two bands? If so, what a clever idea!

Did she love it? Are you planning on changing it or dressing it up? What about the wedding band itself? Plain? Diamonds?

Don’t keep us on edge ;-)

redASET

Rough_Rock
Congratulations! So pleased for you. Now - the important stuff....

The ring!

Is the oval slightly offset? Looks like it from the photo. Is that to allow for a matching wedding band so the stone is centred over the two bands? If so, what a clever idea!

Did she love it? Are you planning on changing it or dressing it up? What about the wedding band itself? Plain? Diamonds?

Don’t keep us on edge ;-)

Thanks. I think it's just the angle of the photo?

Here's some more.

She likes it. She wanted blue because snow is blue (among other things). I'm like huh, they don't call her snow blue, it's snow white, and your diamond is icy white :razz:

The local jeweler that resized it says might have issues of gemstones on the wedding band wearing at the platinum e-ring prongs. So she might go a plain band or none; this over shadows an the dress up options I described.

But yea that jeweler is an ass, he also pointed out all these supposed flaws and said "well you get what you pay for"

My mum is also sending a blue cluster ring I can give her. Probably for the other hand because looks like they'll rub.

She's busy with wedding planning now, she's had her dress for a year now. I forgot that I saw parts of it half opening a suitcase when I needed one for travel. She sent my an email for the venue. Scrolled to the bottom, chain started in January.

signal-2021-05-14-124554 (2).jpg received_2856280847972768.jpeg

20210508_142354.jpg

Attachments

• signal-2021-05-14-124554 (1).jpg
    signal-2021-05-14-124554 (1).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 22
  • signal-2021-05-14-124554.jpg
    signal-2021-05-14-124554.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 22
  • received_106401454869513.jpeg
    received_106401454869513.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 19

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah it was the angle. It’s a lovely classic setting.

A low set diamond wedding band would be absolutely fine with that setting. Either full eternity, channel set or just diamonds sunk in the band - all would work just fine. Don’t know what your jeweller is on about.

And yes your jeweller is an ass. What an incredibly rude and unwarranted thing to say. I suggest you make him your ex jeweller immediately!

Maybe you could use the blue sapphires and a set them alternately with white sapphires for a fancy band / half eternity ring. Would be a lovely addition to a plain wedding band if you went in that direction. D41BE926-4A1F-404B-A907-6B226C274328.jpeg
86C9064F-2F72-49D9-98BC-FDDE0C8744CE.jpeg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Could be her something blue on the day!

redASET

Rough_Rock
Yea that setting was 2k usd for 95plat 5ru. Prongs are handmade, but shank is cast

Jeweler turned up his nose because he only does handmade.

Taking it for valuation tomorrow (somewhere else).

At least then we'll hand a second opinion on wedding bands, but yea I forgot about channel set, this could work, thanks. If can get it small (shallow) enough, this will be basically like having a spacer.

So you want platinum up against platinum?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I have had diamond edges of a non channel set eternity band rubbing up against my engagement prongs for 12 years. The head hasn’t fallen off yet!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
IMHO small, blue sapphires are not pretty. I could elaborate on all the reasons, but to my eyes they just aren't :loopy:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful solitaire! Well done and congrats :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results