shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler trying to talk me out of sapphire

redASET

Rough_Rock
Is surprise. 16150667151081100016.jpg

Hints over the last year: oval, dainty, blue, not too much bling.

Jeweler did this CAD, but think sapphire accents in the halo is a “big mistake”, compared to diamonds.

Thoughts?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
It’s not my personal taste but you’re wearing it not me and not your jeweller! If you love it that’s what matters.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

Jeweler did this CAD, but think sapphire accents in the halo is a “big mistake”, compared to diamonds.

Thoughts?

Is this ring for you or a proposal/gift? If it’s for you, I’m all for it! Especially if the melee is that bright looking (or will it be dark blue).

But if it’s meant to be a special ring like an engagement ring or surprise present, you need to be really sure that’s what your partner likes. There are a lot of people, even colored stone lovers like us, that only like white diamond halos.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I am not keen on the position of the claws/prongs breaking up the Sapphire halo.

The same applies whatever stones are used in the halo, as I believe a halo should be continuous.

However, I am not the one wearing it.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, if this isn't for you and it's for an engagement ring, I would do a solitaire blue oval sapphire over this. It is a very particular look. If that is all the guidance she gave...I might get something simpler. Also, I inherently think of halos as "blingy" - but if she loves them then get one!

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ask her friends what she meant by blue and dainty. It may ruin the surprise if they tell her, but the tradeoff is worth it to ensure you get it right. This is something that is going to cost you quite a bit. You have done a fantastic job already of trying to design something based on some very vague hints. It would be a shame for you to put in all this effort and for it not to be what she meant/wants. Unless she specifically said she wants a blue halo, don't do it as it is a very unique look. Lastly, the join of the head to the shank (where the prongs meet the band) looks almost too dainty. I would perhaps check that with the jeweler. Please keep is informed, as it progresses!

I agree with previous posters, @redASET. I'd explore the option of having a blue sapphire as the center stone. Or redesigning the ring to have a continuous halo (or even a cluster!) of blue sapphires. But I don't like the look of the prongs breaking up the melee either. Makes everything look too disjointed.

redASET

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your suggestions.

The blue hint was given after the diamond purchase.

I managed to pull these from her search history last night, searched by her 8 months ago

Hard to know which ones she actually liked

I got the jeweler looking at whether they can do calibre cut (art deco)

Maybe solitaire, with the half halo sapphire design on the wedding band (like ally ring set link, but colors swappedj

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh those are pretty! Good on your for hunting and being so thoughtful!

You could do other blue embellishments that are a little less bold - I will say, the calber cut doesn't seem to quite fit the vibe she is going for? But you obviously know her better than an internet stranger :lol:

Like these, except the reverse and you could do blue side stones...

1615315916778.png

1615315974207.png

1615316086039.png

This is also a pretty blue halo and a different style, but again, it's a "look" so I might personally steer clear of something like this but wanted to show you...

1615316150187.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
The too much bling comment came when or land lady got engaged with this monster

I assumed I would get away with either sapphire halo or pave because sapphires don't bling like diamonds

Now I realise three rows is probably too much bling for most

Gotcha - well yes, that ring I would say is very far away from your intended's style.

Especially since she saved a halo style, I think you are safe. I just don't know if a blue halo seems "on brand" for her other options (this is based on knowing nothing else about her / her style). It's kinda...funky / unique

I like blue too, but don't think I would want something so edgy as a blue halo as my engagement ring. Unless you are positive, I might not go with your original style as other's implied. Even blue side stones would be less "funky" - by no means want to ffend, just trying to be honest!

redASET

Rough_Rock
Here is the diamond I bought (pdf attached)

Do 3 stone interfere with wedding bands?

I'm thinking sapphires in these half halo's (obviously with the diamond already bought):

Attachments

• 104108729005.pdf
    605.7 KB · Views: 21

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Here is the diamond I bought (pdf attached)

Do 3 stone interfere with wedding bands?

I'm thinking sapphires in these half halo's (obviously with the diamond already bought):

The half halo attached to the ring will make a wedding band much trickier I expect than a 3-stone. May three stones make a "gap" - but you could ask your jeweler to make a design so they sit "flush" without a gap

Your intended could also easily get a sapphire wedding band if you did a diamond halo!

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your suggestions.

The blue hint was given after the diamond purchase.

I managed to pull these from her search history last night, searched by her 8 months ago

Hard to know which ones she actually liked

I got the jeweler looking at whether they can do calibre cut (art deco)

Maybe solitaire, with the half halo sapphire design on the wedding band (like ally ring set link, but colors swappedj
I love the idea of a solitaire with maybe two band options. That way you can “dress” it up or down and change up the style as the mood strikes you. Good on you for doing so much thoughtful research.

B91E1A57-43B3-41E9-B843-78DC683CDF65.jpeg

Attachments

• 3230641F-5BCC-4E61-A66F-D9B9132693D2.jpeg
    3230641F-5BCC-4E61-A66F-D9B9132693D2.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 32

redASET

Rough_Rock
I love the idea of a solitaire with maybe two band options. That way you can “dress” it up or down and change up the style as the mood strikes you. Good on you for doing so much thoughtful research.

B91E1A57-43B3-41E9-B843-78DC683CDF65.jpeg

Two band options, like two different wedding bands?

She'll probably want to elope just to wear the sapphires

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate surprises, so I would vote to let her in on the ring picking. (plus I’m a control freak)(plus i would be the one having to wear it). Anyway after she designs the ring, hide it away and surprise her with a proposal.

Or, propose first with a Blue Pendant, Earrings, or ring (not meant to be the engagement ring) and let her design her own setting for the diamond you picked out.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thoughts?

I like it a lot
but not so keen on the look of the prongs

Best of luck

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, unless you are VERY sure about EXaCTLY what she wants - and it’s a simple design (like a solitaire) there is no way I would try and do this by yourself.

Propose with the diamond in the box and make it something special you do together to design the ring.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Jeweler can do something like this, calibre cut:

Fixes prongs. 18744A06-EC2D-478A-8A09-454CB5FCD718.jpeg
That is spectacular although if she wants to wear a band with it there will be a gap.
I don't know your jeweler but I will say this much, as a caliber cut halo owner myself this is a very hard look to get 100% right. The stones have to be cut exactly to fit and that often means going through a lot of rough/stones. @elizat just had a gorgeous ruby caliber halo done and I think she said it was 8cts to get to the end result. Which is to say this can be pricey and if it isn't done with absolute precision and you have gaps between the stones you may not be happy with it. Just setting the stones can be challenging for all but the most talented bench. If you go down this road I would suggest you ask to see examples your jeweler has done previously, so you can gauge the quality. The prong placement in your first CAD and the head perch precariously on the shank give me pause about what can reasonably be achieved. The reason so many of us with colored stone halos buy vintage/antique is because it can be exorbitantly expensive.

It appears you are in Australia, could you do 2 Aussie sapphires on another band to wear with the diamond solitaire? So it would look like a three stone but really is 2 rings? Just a thought.

Also, I adore my halo of emeralds but it is extremely limiting as to what I can wear with it. There are days I wish I had a straight white diamond ring that I could dress up.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The styles she searched all appear to be feminine and whimsical, whereas even the most dainly art deco sapphire calibre halo would be angular in style (not shape). Art Deco is basically all lines and angles. I love the idea of an east-west set oval solitaire with the sapphire "crown" band in post #15, but prong set instead of bezeled. East west oval feels daintier, and a "crown" type band wouldn't have as harsh of a curve to fit around.

redASET

Rough_Rock
That is spectacular although if she wants to wear a band with it there will be a gap.
I don't know your jeweler but I will say this much, as a caliber cut halo owner myself this is a very hard look to get 100% right. The stones have to be cut exactly to fit and that often means going through a lot of rough/stones. @elizat just had a gorgeous ruby caliber halo done and I think she said it was 8cts to get to the end result. Which is to say this can be pricey and if it isn't done with absolute precision and you have gaps between the stones you may not be happy with it. Just setting the stones can be challenging for all but the most talented bench. If you go down this road I would suggest you ask to see examples your jeweler has done previously, so you can gauge the quality. The prong placement in your first CAD and the head perch precariously on the shank give me pause about what can reasonably be achieved. The reason so many of us with colored stone halos buy vintage/antique is because it can be exorbitantly expensive.

It appears you are in Australia, could you do 2 Aussie sapphires on another band to wear with the diamond solitaire? So it would look like a three stone but really is 2 rings? Just a thought.

Also, I adore my halo of emeralds but it is extremely limiting as to what I can wear with it. There are days I wish I had a straight white diamond ring that I could dress up.

Thanks for this. I will avoid the calibre cut.

I'm thinking something like this, but sapphire accents:

Will get a new CAD and post

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
My guess is your gf is a thoughtful person and she probably looked up alternatives to diamonds (like morganite and tanzanite) to save you some money but the fact she also looked at diamonds means you are safe and have done well with your diamond. She appears to have fairly classic tastes.

I would second what @Ionysis says and propose with the diamond, so she can help design her dream ring. Your second idea of a sapphire band is also good since she can wear them together or not.

redASET

Rough_Rock
My guess is your gf is a thoughtful person and she probably looked up alternatives to diamonds (like morganite and tanzanite) to save you some money but the fact she also looked at diamonds means you are safe and have done well with your diamond. She appears to have fairly classic tastes.

I would second what @Ionysis says and propose with the diamond, so she can help design her dream ring. Your second idea of a sapphire band is also good since she can wear them together or not.

Spot on. There's also a few solitaire sapphires in the search that I didn't link, because, well I'm over come by events with the diamond purchase. Even so, I've looked at too many 10x magnification diamond videos and ASET images to turn my sights to sapphire.

She knows that I think these things are worthless rocks.

Especially, after she said buy me nice things and I showed her the diamond episode of "explained" on Netflix. So I think she wants the ~6x8 oval size, but thinks the diamond in that size is out of my price range.

Attachments

• 104108729005 (1)-1.jpg
    104108729005 (1)-1.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

redASET

Rough_Rock
Problem I have is that when I started dating her, she had already moved out of her ex's for a couple months, then he sent an engagement ring to my partner in the mail. So my ring has to be better (well mine comes with an actual proposal, so it should be).

She'll want something she can put on when I give it to her.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Problem I have is that when I started dating her, she had already moved out of her ex's for a couple months, then he sent an engagement ring to my partner in the mail. So my ring has to be better (well mine comes with an actual proposal, so it should be).

Everyone gave you really good advice. The last ring you showed would be a very beautiful style. I would NOT pick a wedding band now - let her do that or do it together.

You can also always get a temporary setting, like a solitaire from stuller, to mount the diamond so she can wear it right away and tell her you would like to design a dream ring with her. Would she appreciate that?

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

I think you'll already be far, far exceeding him when you propose in-person on bended knee as opposed to sending a ring in the mail (and probably only as a last-ditch attempt to get her back). :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results