shape
carat
color
clarity

I''ve found my centerpiece.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
My search is over!!! Now I just need to re-create it!!! For as little as possible as course
31.gif
. I''ll only need 6 and they''ll be surrounded by votives as in this pic. My other 10 tables will be 30" high and low cocktail tables and on those I''ll put something like a group of small bud vases each with a single bloom or something. No prob there.

To do these, I will need a square jar about 6-8 inches high or so, green leaves to wrap the inside of each jar, and looks like about 9-11 orchid blooms per centerpiece. My first search to buy these started at fiftyflowers and I would have at the least 300 blooms for $179! That certainly would be plenty! Now, wiring each of these would really take the fun outta.....well....outta anything really lol so I''m wondering how crazy I am right about now.

This brings me to my question. Can any of you think of another flower that has similarities in shape and comes in a mauve, purple, or even pink or rich green? And that wouldn''t require wired stems? Or, is it possible to avoid the wiring step altogether? Could I get away with keeping thier stems as long as humanly possible and filling the water up as high as it''ll go? Or, can''t a cut orchid live with no water for several hours? I read somewhere that they prefer to be too dry than to be too wet.

Thank you for any help :)

mauve orchids in bottles w greenlvs (Medium).jpg

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Hey! Those centerpieces are really pretty! I love orchids.

Um, I have no idea about your flower questions. But I wanted to let you know that I purchased a similar glass vase. It''s a little rectangular (about 4"x3" and about 5" high) and was $2.99 at Ikea. And it actually looks really nice.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
oooh, yeah, Ikea is GREAT for cheap glassware, and they have everything in huge quantities :)

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty!!! The votives and rocks look great surrounding the flowers!
What about using the lillies that you liked before?

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Dixie~ That was what I was thinking after I wrote that email!! :) They have the same sort of petal shape and Sam''s club carries a nice purple colored one. I still looking around tho :) How''re you coming along? Find the perfect rose yet?
21.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 10:53:06 PM
Author: So_happy
Dixie~ That was what I was thinking after I wrote that email!! :) They have the same sort of petal shape and Sam''s club carries a nice purple colored one. I still looking around tho :) How''re you coming along? Find the perfect rose yet?
21.gif
I''m getting there, still searching! I''ve narrowed it down though to the two in the collage I created (I think). The Hot Princess seems to be available at a lot of places but the other just at fiftyflowers.com. I think it''s the Splendid Renata but I''ve looked at so many names lately that I could be wrong. I''ll probably go w/the first though b/c they''re cheaper and I do like that rose just as much. I would prefer a deeper pink vs. a hot pink but at this point, I''m ready to decide and move on.
Still have to do some trials though to know for sure this is possible.
Any more trials your way?

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
So Happy,

Ok I think those arrangements are fab! Orchids might be ok out of water but I wouldn''t chance it it likely wont work. Cutting them long enough likely not possible as they come on a long stem with multiple blossoms. The leaf in there is likely an aspidestra leaf (sp?).

I think that those arrangements could be totally awesome if you did them in oasis and then put some reindeer moss on the top to cover the oasis and then made sure that the aspidestra leaf was covering the oasis. That would likely eliminate the need for wiring the stems. if you wanted to do just some orchids you could do them individually in a cube with some stones in the bottom and put multiple cubes on the table which means that you wouldn''t need oasis.

I think that this arrangement could be very doable. If you use the oasis make sure that you fill the container up with water or the oasis won''t feel hydrated.

:) Rebecca

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 10:51:54 PM
Author: sparkel
So Happy,

Ok I think those arrangements are fab! Orchids might be ok out of water but I wouldn''t chance it it likely wont work. Cutting them long enough likely not possible as they come on a long stem with multiple blossoms. The leaf in there is likely an aspidestra leaf (sp?).

I think that those arrangements could be totally awesome if you did them in oasis and then put some reindeer moss on the top to cover the oasis and then made sure that the aspidestra leaf was covering the oasis. That would likely eliminate the need for wiring the stems. if you wanted to do just some orchids you could do them individually in a cube with some stones in the bottom and put multiple cubes on the table which means that you wouldn''t need oasis.

I think that this arrangement could be very doable. If you use the oasis make sure that you fill the container up with water or the oasis won''t feel hydrated.

:) Rebecca
I''m actually quite relieved to hear they''re doable as I usually tend to pick the most difficult project to do :) I''m looking at variations now to make this work. I played with Oasis the other day for my beautiful Calla Lily plant and boy...a WEEK later they are still fresh as the first day in that stuff!!! We are amazed lol.

I realize the orchid stems are going to be shorties so I was thinking, as you were, to buy enough oasis to fill the entire vase so that the stems will reach. The thing is, the florist foam I bought for my callas was pretty tough. The calla stems were pretty hardy and went in without bending but it kind took some pressure to get them in there secure. I wonder if I just got really tough foam? (LOL) I wonder if teeny orchid stems would be strong enough to handle the same amount of prying. Hmm.......

Anyhow, I see a couple more trials in my future. I''m actually making a calla lily bout tonight :) I hate to sever one of those blooms but I''ve gotta know if it''s as dang easy as the videos make it look!!
9.gif
If I get comfortable handlng callas then I can hand-tie my own bouquet and get a good 30 or so minis for about $80. I''d do mauve orchids (as in picture...ohhhh that color is just yummy!) if I felt efficacious enough to wire 30 blooms but we''ll see! It seems this wedidng has provided a vehicle for me to explore my long-hidden creative side and I''m doing things that I never thought I''d even care to do before :)
Anyhow, I''m blabbing! Thank you....your vote of confidence in my flower-of-choice means alot to me
36.gif
36.gif
Any tips you''d like to pass on..........feel very free
21.gif

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
So Happy,

To soak the oasis put it holes side down in a very full tub of water (usually one side has tiny holes). Let is sink on its own, do not push it under or it can create air pockets in the oasis.

It is sometimes tough to decide how to cut the oasis so if you gently press the wet oasis against the top of the vase it will leave a print so that you can see where to cut the block. In addition you will want to make sure that the oasis is a little bit above the top of the vase so you don''t have to reach in to be able put the stems in. Then you can gently shape the top into a hilly shape that is not square so that your arrangement will be more natural looking. You will want to make sure that you wrap your leaf around the oasis before you put it in the vase that will likely be easiest.

Once you have the oasis in the vase you will want to put a small section of tape across the vase to ensure that the oasis does not slip out or anything. There is very thin floral tape that is super cheap that you can use for this. Maybe not absolutely necessary but something that pros tend to do. Make sure that you fill the vase to the top with water and if you make them up in advance water them EVERY day, oasis can dry out very quickly so be vigilant b/c once it dries out it does not hold water properly again.

Once you have managed to get the set up done. Cut each stem off the ochid as you plan to use them so that they are not sitting out of water (helps ensure that they will stand up and not fail). Then hold each stem near the bottom and gently push it in. It will be more challenging than the callas that you did but if you are careful it should be ok. If you miss your shot use a new hole because otherwise the flower will not stay and it may not get water.

You may want to consider using a moss (reindeer moss i think in the pic) that you would cover the oasis with and fill flowers in between before you added the flowers. If not some kind of greenery might be in order because you may not be able to fill it completely. Verigated pitt or just regular dark green pitt might do the trick.

: ) Rebecca

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results