shape
carat
color
clarity

Itchiness!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have advice for me about all-over itchiness? It has been driving me nuts lately. I'm thinking the most likely culprits are soaps: bath soap, bubble bath, shampoo or laundry soap. I plan to find some plain-as-possible bath soap today and start with that. The list of ingredients to look up is so long, ugh. Or maybe it's something else.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ask your doctor. lots of things come to mind (scabies, kidney disease, medication reaction). if you get this off and on then probably no big deal -- plus, it is allergy time of year in the Northern hemisphere. but if it's brand-new all-over itching, I would see someone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. I know the itchy all over symptom too well. Yes to getting rid of all additives in your detergents, soap, shampoo, conditioner etc. Anything that touches your skin needs to be evaluated. You want products with a minimum of ingredients.

Could it be pollen? Shower when you get home to get rid of any pollen.

Other possible culprits to investigate.
Dry skin.
Eczema.
Contact dermatitis.
Have any of your meds changed?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you received the Covid vaccine recently? I have heard of itchiness being a symptom some experience from that.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
You could call your local water department as they treat the water supply occasionally. Possibly, your skin is sensitive to what they are running through the water? I was advised to do this by my water softener company as I thought the issue was our water softener.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @seaurchin -

Have you had your glucose checked lately, or are you diabetic? High sugar can cause itchiness, as can an unwell liver. These things are less likely than harsh laundry detergents, of course, but worth keeping in mind if switching out your detergents and soaps doesn't work.

Good luck with this - nothing worse than being unable to scratch an itch!!

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
If it's worse on your palms and the soles of your feet, you may have a gallbladder/bile duct issue.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is anyone else in your household having any itchy symptoms?

Is your area having winds that may be carrying pollen/etc?

Is it whole-body itchiness? If so, less likely it is contact dermatitis which usually is location-specific (i.e., itchy area confined to where you applied lotion, or used soap, or area on your body corresponding to skin-to-clothing contact if laundry detergent, as opposed to entire body itchiness).

Is it itchy only or is there rash/redness/sensitivity?

Benadryl can help with the symptoms ...

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to everyone so far. I'm definitely taking all comments under advisement. It is hard to pinpoint because I've had itching for a while off and on but now it's worse and more all-over whereas before it was mainly my lower back area. (Sometimes I just ignore things...) Now I notice a few little red marks. They might be from scratching or I guess they could even be some type of bug bite. I took Benadryl pills today because it was so annoying and that worked.

It could also even be more than one thing, I guess. I have just had my yearly physical exam and no problems noted in the lab work, which might possibly also rule out a few things. Oh, wait, I did have high cholesterol as usual, and just went back on a statin for it. Hmm, never thought of that but I just read that statins can cause itching.

I love lots of bubbles in my baths so that would probably be the most obvious place to start. I just bought some Kirk's fragrance free castile bar soap and plan to just use that for a few days with no other bath products and see if that clears it up.

To answer a few more of the questions: Ah, husband said tree pollen is high right now here and yes, it has been windy in the past few days. No one else in my household is having itchy symptoms. It is not only on my hands and feet. I don't know about any changes in the water but will definitely keep it in mind, thanks. I have had the Covid vaccine but the last dose was over a month ago. And, of course, it's harder to nail down because I have had it for a pretty long time off and on but recently it's gotten worse and more all-over. Thanks again, to everyone so far. Hopefully, the change in bath products will be enough. :)

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought some Kirk's fragrance free castile bar soap

I was having a problem with dry itchy skin. I switched to Kirk's Castile bar soap and I love it. No more itchy skin.
Added bonus--it is made from coconut oil, not palm oil.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Think outside the norm for a wee moment
i once thought i had measles - i had a really odd itchy rash all over my trunk - every last square inch of my trunk from neck to almost right dowm below

The doc thoight it might have been psoriasis
The cream and stinky yellow body wash for the bath she prescribed certainly helped

it was weird it was only on my trunk ?
not my arms or legs
I do have a history of allergies and eczema as did my dad so mum only had very gentle bathroom soap (knight's castle or pink lifeboy) and only the one brand of washing powder my dad wasn't allergic to

turned out a packet of incense had fallen from the dutchess into the drawer where my singlets lived
as soon as i discovered this and washed them all the rash went away on its own

I hope your rash is also something left feild and easierly fixed like mine was

Best wishes for a quick end to this itchiness

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does Benadryl help? If it does, the likely culprit is allergy to something, not any kind of disease. Is your skin dry? Eucerin is good for dry skin for sensitive people. Laundry soap, dryer sheets, bath products, eliminate every scented thing from your life. Eat only basic foods. Bring them back one at a time to see how you tolerate them.

Statin drugs can cause muscle and joint aches, not pruritis. Too many pain relievers (including tylenol!) or new antibiotics or probiotics could be the cause. You have to be your own detective. And drink! Staying hydrated will help

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Hi doberman. Yes, Benadryl does help. I don't think my skin is especially dry. I don't take Tylenol but I do take a lot of ibuprofen. I drink lots of water.

So far, all I've tried is switching to fragrance free castile soap and cutting out bubble bath. It hasn't helped much but it's only been about twelve hours and I guess an irritation might take a while to calm down, Idk.

Ugh, it could be so many different things. For ex., I just remembered that I've been using new sheets, towels and PJs and did not wash them first. (I've always heard that you should wash new things before using but really never bothered). Also, the itching is much worse at night. Another complicating factor is that I've had this for some time but just kind of blown it off, but it's gotten worse lately.

I think I'll give the bath products change a couple more days, then if try switching to a more basic and unfragranced laundry soap if it doesn't stop by then. I'm hoping to change one thing at a time, starting with what comes into regular contact with my skin because it seems to me likely plus is an easy change to make. Thanks to everyone so far. :)

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi doberman. Yes, Benadryl does help. I don't think my skin is especially dry. I don't take Tylenol but I do take a lot of ibuprofen. I drink lots of water.

So far, all I've tried is switching to fragrance free castile soap and cutting out bubble bath. It hasn't helped much but it's only been about twelve hours and I guess an irritation might take a while to calm down, Idk.

Ugh, it could be so many different things. For ex., I just remembered that I've been using new sheets, towels and PJs and did not wash them first. (I've always heard that you should wash new things before using but really never bothered). Also, the itching is much worse at night. Another complicating factor is that I've had this for some time but just kind of blown it off, but it's gotten worse lately.

I think I'll give the bath products change a couple more days, then if try switching to a more basic and unfragranced laundry soap if it doesn't stop by then. I'm hoping to change one thing at a time, starting with what comes into regular contact with my skin because it seems to me likely plus is an easy change to make. Thanks to everyone so far. :)

One thing i learnt from a 9 month stint working in a fabric shop
you must wash not just fabric before you sew it, but clothes and linnen before you use them/ wear them
manufactures use chemical dressings on fabric including formaldehyde
Hopefully this is your problem im thinking especially the PJs

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have dry skin and use Aqueous Cream instead of soap in the colder months to alleviate the itchiness when the air is cold and dry, especially my back.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing i learnt from a 9 month stint working in a fabric shop
you must wash not just fabric before you sew it, but clothes and linnen before you use them/ wear them
manufactures use chemical dressings on fabric including formaldehyde
Hopefully this is your problem im thinking especially the PJs

I just remembered that I've been using new sheets, towels and PJs and did not wash them first. (I've always heard that you should wash new things before using but really never bothered).
Yes. It’s a must imo to wash anything new before wear/use. Chemicals are used on almost everything before we purchase the items.

“Textile products may have stray chemicals from the production process in addition to starches used to keep the clothes crisp while shipping, packaging, or hanging in the store.” There are many steps fabric goes through before it makes its way to you and even natural fibers can be exposed to potential irritants. “Natural fibers require scouring and cleaning before they become yarn, yarn spinning requires lubricants, sometimes resins are used for warp sizing, and starches can be used in the weaving process,” she explains. “Yarn and fabric can require additional scouring using soap products, sodium hydroxide, or bleaching to properly accept color during dying or printing processes.”

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Could you have developed a new food allergy? A lot of sun/UV can also cause itchiness. Same with stress.

Have you seen a dermatologist to ask?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again, all so far. :)

I wouldn't doubt it's more than one thing, since as I said earlier, it's been going on for a long time but has only gotten bad enough lately for me to start looking for a cause or causes. I've been reading a little about it and unsurprisingly, skin becomes more delicate with age so there's yet another factor. It could be that several things that used to be okay just no longer are.

I will definitely wash everything before using it from now on. And I will look for a plain lotion too because though I didn't think I had dry skin, I do have chapped lips right now so my skin certainly could be dry enough to itch but just not dry enough that I notice any physical changes in it. Not much sun or stress lately. I did just have my yearly physical exam, complete with blood test etc. but will consult a dermatologist if I can't find the culprit/s myself. Food allergies, I don't know but that's another thought if the easy and possibly most likely changes don't settle it.

I'm trying to only make one change at a time for now so I can pinpoint the problem rather than changing a bunch of my habits when I may not need to. I will not be happy if I have to give up my tubfuls of lovely bubbles! Guess I'll just scratch up a storm in the meantime. :/

Oh, no. I hope I'm not turning into one of those old ladies who prattle on endlessly about all their various maladies. :)

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Partial, if puzzling, success! Two days into cutting out the bubble bath and using only fragrance free, basic soap, last night I was surprised to have NO itching for the first time in a long time! That was a definite positive change.

But then I woke up this morning, itching again.

So I am back to wondering if it's more than one thing. (Or if perhaps the bath stuff and the laundry stuff have the same irritant in common?)

Today, I plan to buy some fragrance free, basic laundry soap, wash my bedding and a couple of days worth of clothes with it, and not use dryer (fabric softener) sheets like I usually do, to cut that factor out.

If that doesn't end it after a couple of days, I'll move on to adding a fragrance free, basic lotion for dry skin.

I wish I could do a more exciting type of detective work lol.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Partial, if puzzling, success! Two days into cutting out the bubble bath and using only fragrance free, basic soap, last night I was surprised to have NO itching for the first time in a long time! That was a definite positive change.

But then I woke up this morning, itching again.

So I am back to wondering if it's more than one thing. (Or if perhaps the bath stuff and the laundry stuff have the same irritant in common?)

Today, I plan to buy some fragrance free, basic laundry soap, wash my bedding and a couple of days worth of clothes with it, and not use dryer (fabric softener) sheets like I usually do, to cut that factor out.

If that doesn't end it after a couple of days, I'll move on to adding a fragrance free, basic lotion for dry skin.

I wish I could do a more exciting type of detective work lol.

Bubble bath itself could be an irritant. I used to take baths with just lavender epsom salts and it was very soothing. Try it without the bubbles and see if that helps bring relief.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pollen season, my whole body goes into overdrive. A zyrtec a day keeps the itchies away. I also make sure to shower as soon as I'm "in" for the day to get it off my skin. No rewearing clothes, it all goes right into the hamper. We all have allergies so the windows stay closed and the HEPA filters stay ON.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Oh pls wash! Possibly all sorts of icky stuff and just too much chemicals anyway. And yes, unfortunately skin changes with age.

Whatever it is hope it goes away soon!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will also say that home made soap is great, too.
You can find it at growers markets and craft fairs. If they ever start happening again.

I used to buy it from a local soap maker who made a plain version, and had other varieties like chamomile, lavender, olive oil, etc.

Very good for the skin, and no artificial fragrance or coloring.
A soap maker once told me that commercial manufactureers remove the naturally forming glycerin from the soap making process and use it for lotions! So commercial soap is lacking this important component that is so good for your skin.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I will also say that home made soap is great, too.
You can find it at growers markets and craft fairs. If they ever start happening again.

I used to buy it from a local soap maker who made a plain version, and had other varieties like chamomile, lavender, olive oil, etc.

Very good for the skin, and no artificial fragrance or coloring.
A soap maker once told me that commercial manufactureers remove the naturally forming glycerin from the soap making process and use it for lotions! So commercial soap is lacking this important component that is so good for your skin.

So true. I used to make soap (though not to sell) and might start it up again.

Also, the most basic soap I could find at the stores find still had several extra ingredients in it. I've made soap before with only lye, olive oil and water. It would be great for anyone with sensitivities or allergies and isn't hard to learn. The only problem is that without any preservatives, fresh soap can start getting icky spots in it after about six months. But if you make it, you'd just whip up another batch.

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
Diet

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, all. If this holds up, my mystery is solved. After three days of omitting all bath products besides plain, fragrance-free soap, the months-long itchies are gone! :)

So happy for you! I use Dr Bronner's unscented bar soap on my body and on my face I do not use soap but rather La Roche Posay Toleriane Dermo cleanser.

babysoap.png

May your relief be long lasting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results