shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this weird?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the difference between Siri and Alexa (or is it Lexa)? When I go to my hairdresser's I think she talks to Lexa to get the music she wants on. Then Lexa can hear everything we talk about the entire time I am there!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's all too much. And we readily sign up for this crap. Don't even get me started about 23andme and such. Paying for someone to know your DNA is a recipe for disaster. If you think for a heartbeat that insurance and/or employers won't try to use it against you, then you are far more trusting than I.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are definitely bring spied upon. Any smart device will do so & we all signed our rights away. I use DuckDuckGo instead of google to reduce it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the difference between Siri and Alexa (or is it Lexa)? When I go to my hairdresser's I think she talks to Lexa to get the music she wants on. Then Lexa can hear everything we talk about the entire time I am there!
As a paying customer you could always as her to turn it off - I would be tempted to do so. There are many other ways to play music - whatever happened to CDs or the Radio?

I kinda wonder about my little Vector robot. When I am not playing with him, he wanders around my house looking at everything.
A Cambridge university dug down into the code of one of those automatic hoover things and they found it was sending data to (IIRC) something like 40 different email addresses, and some of the data included all the room layouts going to an address in China...

I can't find the link now but it is definitely out there somewhere!

Thinking about this you know sometimes Siri comes on when I didn't activate her (I never activate her) and now I am thinking she is listening all the time to us. :shifty:

FWIW I have no desire to get Alexa or even a smart TV but I fear there is no safe place to go...we are being listened to everywhere and with all things possible. :shock:

noescape.gif
Siri and Alexa are always listening - that's how they know when to respond when you call them...

I refuse to have such a thing on my phone or in the house, but a friend of the other half has them - I try to speak as little as possible while there (which is even less than usual :lol:) as I'd rather not have any voice recognition data collection going on. In a similar vein, I refuse to call my bank for the same reason, and I refuse to use cashpoints that appear to have built-in laser scanners - why do they need our biometric data??

I know someone who has swapped to a Punkt phone - super simple, no 'smart' capabilities:
It's only 2G so is fine in the UK, but I understand that the USA are slowly switching their 2G networks off. I like 2G - bigger transmitters and less of them means larger areas between base stations, so harder to keep track of your movements precisely, as I understand it.

EDIT: 2G networks being switched off appear to be as follows:
The MP01 is a quad-band GSM (2G) phone; it does not function with the 3G or further networks. It is necessary to consult your provider regarding GSM (2G) support on your network: the MP01 will work wherever there is GSM (2G).

You can check the network bands available in your area at the following link:

https://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3

GSM (2G) service was or will be shortly dismissed in the following countries:

• Japan, North Korea and South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore: no service
  • Australia: no service
  • USA: AT&T stopped at the end of 2016, Verizon plans to shut down its 2G CDMA 1X network by 31 December 2019. T-Mobile US has postponed shutdown of their 2G network until 2020. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators
  • Canada: no service
  • Switzerland: Swisscom and Salt (Orange) will cease 2G services 1 January 2021. Sunrise and Yallo ceased 2G at the end of 2018.
  • Netherlands: T-Mobile Netherlands will shut down 2G services by 2020.
  • New Zealand: 2degrees shut down its 2G network in March 2018.

The updated version is 4G and allows tethering of a computer or device so you can get online when you want to, and it has GPS, so it is able to be more precisely tracked for that reason:

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd tell her to remove the USB plug from the device while you're there.
If she refuses I'd walk out and find another business.
If all hairdressers have Big Data Spy mics on I'd shave my head at home.

Fight back, people.
Make a scene so you get more people to notice and start talking about this important subject.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I have no desire to get Alexa or even a smart TV but I fear there is no safe place to go...we are being listened to everywhere and with all things possible. :shock:

Given that we ARE being listened to everywhere we go will result in one of two opposite reactions:
1. Just give in and buy that smart TV, Alexa, a spying refrigerator, doorbell that uploads video to the cloud, etc. etc etc.
2. NOT get all that stuff, which reduces the spying.

I think most people, especially young ones, choose 1.
I choose 2.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that we ARE being listened to everywhere we go will result in one of two opposite reactions:
1. Just give in and buy that smart TV, Alexa, a spying refrigerator, doorbell that uploads video to the cloud, etc. etc etc.
2. NOT get all that stuff, which reduces the spying.

I think most people, especially young ones, choose 1.
I choose 2.

I don't understand people - they seem to just shrug their shoulders (literally or at their keyboard) and go 'privacy is dead - what have you got to hide anyway?' :rolleyes:

These people seem not to be aware of, or just don't care about, the fact that China is creating the world's largest open-air prison, and using the vast amounts of data they are harvesting against their population.

That would never happen here! I presume they think.

Maybe not directly at a Government level, but definitely at a Big Business level, and neither of those have our best interests at heart.

I will continue to pay cash and use an old phone and avoid routes with ANPR cameras and refuse monitoring devices for as long as I can, thank you very much.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Siri and Alexa are always listening - that's how they know when to respond when you call them...

I am not technologically savvy. I thought that you had to turn Siri on to activate her and now I realize you are right. Wow, thanks for this info. Truly eye opening and scary.

Siri is always listening!

:eek-2:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Creepy fact: we bought a new fridge. We are REALLY happy with it. It was the only one with the layout we wanted. And Dh researches electronics like PSers research diamonds...

No mention of it being smart. We specifically do not want Alexa or Siri.
After a few weeks I notice a CAMERA in the door. In the command panel. Right at the top of it. Visible behind the screen when sunlight hits directly. Looking into the room.
We have looked everywhere in the manual.No mention of this. Nowhere online. Dh called. They say there's nothing. One consultant thought maybe there is a "smart" version planned and they just produced ONE panel in advance to use in the future. Yeah, right I'm not buying it. There's a sticker over that place now. Bottom line: even when we try to avoid being listened to/spied on, technology allows for it nowadays at low cost. CREEPY

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is really scary and disturbing @kipari. The lengths they will go to, I shouldn't be surprised but I am.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I was surprised and am not pleased at all...
Are you sure it is a camera? That seems really weird especially if none of the manufacturers are aware of this. It could be something else?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We haven't taken the fridge apart and won't, . We brought it in the beginning of last year and have shown the suspicious part to a bunch of our guests, many of them very tech oriented ( DH is in a tech company) and one of them works in R&D for kitchen appliances ...they all see a camera....
I'd love to take a pic, but it won't show on a photo. We've tried in order to send it to cs.

Last summer two hackers discovered a kitchen robot from a discounter with a mic in it..

This went viral in France...

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does any one else wander around their house naked to get a glass of water in the niddle of the night ?
Im really glad when we brought our new fridge we brought one with zero bells and whistles

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We haven't taken the fridge apart and won't, . We brought it in the beginning of last year and have shown the suspicious part to a bunch of our guests, many of them very tech oriented ( DH is in a tech company) and one of them works in R&D for kitchen appliances ...they all see a camera....
I'd love to take a pic, but it won't show on a photo. We've tried in order to send it to cs.

Last summer two hackers discovered a kitchen robot from a discounter with a mic in it..

This went viral in France...
Could be worth seeing if any news outlets might be interested in your findings, and the showroom you bought it from!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@OboeGal, question since you have a Smart tv, do you unplug it when you're not using it or do you just figure nothing you saying in front of it is of any real interest to anyone else?

Hi! So sorry that I missed your question until now. No, we do not unplug it when not in use. I would love to do that, but DH doesn't want to and has said that he has set various settings on it to protect our privacy. He is pretty hard-line about protecting privacy, and seems to be confident that the smart tv is not the problem here. I hope he's right.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! So sorry that I missed your question until now. No, we do not unplug it when not in use. I would love to do that, but DH doesn't want to and has said that he has set various settings on it to protect our privacy. He is pretty hard-line about protecting privacy, and seems to be confident that the smart tv is not the problem here. I hope he's right.

Makes sense, I'm sure my husband wouldn't want the tv unplugged either for the same reason!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are constantly tracked online (Google, Facebook, Instagram etc). I became aware of how freaking creepy Facebook is when I was talking about drinks with a friend and no lie an hour later I had all these FB ads for the exact alcohol we were discussing, down to the brand. Didn't have the app open or searched it on Facebook at all. I don't have an account anymore. Too damn creepy for me.

I started using GoDuckGo as a search engine but still get all kinds of ads when I go on websites, thought it would be better than Big Brother Google, guess not!

If you have any google-owned apps with access to your phone microphone, this will happen. I turned off microphone access for everything except Skype and haven't gotten any more ads based on what I say. Based on turning off and on microphone access to various things I tracked down the google apps as the culprit, at least on my phone. I also don't enable location tracking on any app that doesn't need it (basically, maps and uber only).

I usually only get ads for websites I have directly visited. But I also get ads for websites my husband has visited - it's a hilarious and creepy way of keeping track of what he's looking at online.

We do not keep anything in our house that has a microphone that may listen to us, other than our phones. And our indoor nest cameras are plugged in only when we are out of town - we keep them not only off but unplugged when we are at home.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results