shape
carat
color
clarity

Is anyone interested in crystal, sterling silver, and bone china nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was talking with my mother. She was reminiscing about how much fun she''d had browsing the big china stores in NYC, how much she''d enjoyed using her elegant china, crystal, and silver throughout the years, and about the great lifelong friendship she developed with the couple who ran a china store in this town. (The local downtown is now all vacant storefronts, 2 tattoo parlors, a ruin of a once-elegant 20s movie palace, and the unemployment office. Times change, eh?)

She wondered whether modern brides even care about china, crystal, and silver. So, do you, ladies?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i am not a bride, i am a matron who mourns the loss of appreciation of purdy things.

hypothesis 1: My observation has been that the northern brides do not want this stuff, but the southern ones do, especially the new yorkers - they balk (no space?)

hypothesis 2: I am under the impression they don''t want anything they have to handwash. but my thoughts are that using the dishwasher is double handling and twice the work.

hypothesis 3: I think if they were raised with it they want it, but if they were not raised with it they don''t want it . believe or not i know families who only use paper plates.

this should start some interesting debate.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
>>hypothesis 2: I am under the impression they don''t want anything they have to handwash. but my thoughts are that using the dishwasher is double handling and twice the work.<<

Does this mean you don''t use the dishwasher at all, or just not for the finer things? For regular stuff it''s not twice the work! First get a dishwasher that was manufactured in this millenium. Then just put the dirty dish into the dishwasher. Do not rinse it first, just put it in. I don''t care if the juice glass has pulp on it, it''s OK to just put it in. It doesn''t matter if tomato sauce drips off the plate and onto the bottom of the dishwasher, just put it in. It will all come clean in the wash. Oops, sorry ladykemma, thought I was talking to my mother who insists on washing my dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. That''s in my house; in hers she doesn''t bother with the dishwasher at all.

As for the question, I didn''t care that much about fine china, or silverware when I was a bride. I never chose anything but ended up inheriting a set of each from an aunt. I do love crystal though.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
In the south, it''s all about what silver flatware pattern you''ll choose
2.gif

I chose grande baroque by Wallace. As far as fine china... I inherited a lovely set of bone china from my great grandmother, so my fiance and I just registered for good white porcelain dinnerware (I love the weight of porcelain) that can be used every day and on more special occasions. Oddly crystal is not really a love that I have. But I absolutely ADORE silver -- I collect silverplate tea sets, and I''m always hunting on eBay for grande baroque pieces to grab.

I think whether someone likes fine china and such, as ladykemma mentioned, can be related to whether you were around it as a child, my mother really values her dishes. However, I certainly don''t think that there is anything wrong with not being interested in it -- it''s more like an interest or a hobby for those who love it. Not everyone shares the same interests and hobbies
1.gif

My latest "wants" -- some Royal Doulton tea cups and saucer, 4-8 of them would be nice. I would also like some pretty transferware, something with a toile design. I want a pretty wash pitcher and basin as well. Also some clear rim bowls...

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Also we have a nice dishwasher, but I handwash the good stuff -- I enjoy it anyway. Even though we have one of the dishwashers claiming to "pulverize" chicken bones... that''s just gross. We rinse our plates as soon as we take them to the sink, and put them right into the dishwasher, we never leave dishes in the sink.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'm in the UK where looking at friend's registries they seem to go for one set of okay china and silver plate for napkin rings, cutlery etc.

My family have always had sets of old english sterling silver flatware, and all the sterling silver bonbon dishes, salts, tea services etc. My mother has good china and everyday china and a good tea service.

I'm not that fussed on very expensive crystal, but I would like a nice set of fine china and I am desperate for a full canteen of solid silver cutlery. I keep dropping hints to my grandmother who has 3 family sets. I already have an antique silver tea service and I buy a lot of pieces such as nut dishes, bonbon dishes, wine coasters etc when I get good prices on ebay, but a full canteen in Old English or Rat-tail would make me ecstatic.

My BF thinks I'm nuts. I don't actually know anyone who feels like I do about it - my brothers and sisters aren't bothered, nor are our friends - they don't want to clean it or look after it, but I think it's nice to have and use. The good thing about this is that it's possible to pick up fab bargains as not everyone is looking for them.

For china, we have a plain white set by habitat which is nice and easily replaced when dropped! I had been collecting Portmerion Botanics. The factory were selling off seconds which just have the leaf border and a minute flaw (S1 I would say). I had a full set for six of 3 sizes of plates, soup bowls, pudding bowls, serving dishes etc I could then just add the odd fully decorated piece at full price. Sadly BF is not a fan. I'm a country girl and he's a city type so we are having to learn to compromise.
28.gif

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
As a Northern lady, I must respectfully disagree! I love my china and crystal. Now, I got married 18 yrs ago so things may be different now, but when I got married, everyone registered for china and crystal. I inherited sterling flatware so I didn''t get that. We are hosting X-mas dinner and all the china and chrystal, etc... will be used. To me china and crystal are fine jewelery for the table. My hubby yells at me everytime I buy more glasses because our cabinets are overflowing
31.gif
I think many people these days tend to want to spend money on other things. Many see no reason to spend big bucks on jewelry or other types of sparklies like we do here. My 3 SIL''s never registered for china and crystal. Or, not to offend anyone, maybe it is related to income level?? The higher the income, the more likely you are to register for non-essentials like crystal?? Just a thought.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 1:59:12 PM
Author: Maria D
>>hypothesis 2: I am under the impression they don''t want anything they have to handwash. but my thoughts are that using the dishwasher is double handling and twice the work.<<

Does this mean you don''t use the dishwasher at all, or just not for the finer things? For regular stuff it''s not twice the work! First get a dishwasher that was manufactured in this millenium. Then just put the dirty dish into the dishwasher. Do not rinse it first, just put it in. I don''t care if the juice glass has pulp on it, it''s OK to just put it in. It doesn''t matter if tomato sauce drips off the plate and onto the bottom of the dishwasher, just put it in. It will all come clean in the wash. Oops, sorry ladykemma, thought I was talking to my mother who insists on washing my dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. That''s in my house; in hers she doesn''t bother with the dishwasher at all.

As for the question, I didn''t care that much about fine china, or silverware when I was a bride. I never chose anything but ended up inheriting a set of each from an aunt. I do love crystal though.
the highlighted part made me laugh.
your mother is my mother inlaw. she washes the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.

No, I have a modern
what I mean is: put the dishes in the dishwasher, run it, take them out and put away. double handling.

I can wash, dry, and put away in one 15 minute period. all done.

sterling can''t go in the dishwasher anyway.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 3:30:51 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
In the south, it''s all about what silver flatware pattern you''ll choose
2.gif

I chose grande baroque by Wallace. As far as fine china... I inherited a lovely set of bone china from my great grandmother, so my fiance and I just registered for good white porcelain dinnerware (I love the weight of porcelain) that can be used every day and on more special occasions. Oddly crystal is not really a love that I have. But I absolutely ADORE silver -- I collect silverplate tea sets, and I''m always hunting on eBay for grande baroque pieces to grab.

I think whether someone likes fine china and such, as ladykemma mentioned, can be related to whether you were around it as a child, my mother really values her dishes. However, I certainly don''t think that there is anything wrong with not being interested in it -- it''s more like an interest or a hobby for those who love it. Not everyone shares the same interests and hobbies
1.gif

My latest ''wants'' -- some Royal Doulton tea cups and saucer, 4-8 of them would be nice. I would also like some pretty transferware, something with a toile design. I want a pretty wash pitcher and basin as well. Also some clear rim bowls...
it IS an interest or hobby, isn''t it? yeah....

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 3:56:19 PM
Author: WTNLVR
As a Northern lady, I must respectfully disagree! I love my china and crystal. Now, I got married 18 yrs ago so things may be different now, but when I got married, everyone registered for china and crystal. I inherited sterling flatware so I didn''t get that. We are hosting X-mas dinner and all the china and chrystal, etc... will be used. To me china and crystal are fine jewelery for the table. My hubby yells at me everytime I buy more glasses because our cabinets are overflowing
31.gif
I think many people these days tend to want to spend money on other things. Many see no reason to spend big bucks on jewelry or other types of sparklies like we do here. My 3 SIL''s never registered for china and crystal. Or, not to offend anyone, maybe it is related to income level?? The higher the income, the more likely you are to register for non-essentials like crystal?? Just a thought.
that''s a good question.... my parents did quite well monetarily, were from the north, and mom had 2 sets of mediocre yet pretty china and one set of very nice sterling. we did use it, generally only at my urging. i love to polish silver.

that''s a good question.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 12:44:49 PM
Author: ladykemma
Debate? Over tableware? Really??
33.gif

I guess I must be in the "doesn't care about china" category!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 5:57:21 PM
Author: musey

33.gif

I guess I must be in the 'doesn't care about china' category!
curoius musey - did you parents have this pretty stuff and did they use it? what part of the country are you from?

It's not tableware- it's art. have you ever really -I mean really LOOKED at- Francis 1st? Gorham buttercup? Mythologique? Love disarmed? have you ever seen it in person?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 10:14:10 PM
Date: 12/23/2006 5:57:21 PM

Author: musey

33.gif

I guess I must be in the ''doesn''t care about china'' category!
curoius musey - did you parents have this pretty stuff and did they use it? what part of the country are you from?

It''s not tableware- it''s art. have you ever really -I mean really LOOKED at- Francis 1st? Gorham buttercup? Mythologique? Love disarmed? have you ever seen it in person?

Well, the dishwasher debate seemed to manifest speedily enough!

I don''t care about china, silver, or crystal. However, I have made it clear to my mother that I expect to inherit her collection of stunning designer hand-thrown pottery (talk about art), I am snooty about my chopsticks (the hand-carved wooden ones brought back from Japan and the bone set with inlay are my favorites at the moment), and am obsessed with my sushi sets.

So while china, silver, and crystal don''t float my boat because they don''t fit with my tastes, the manner in which I eat, or the foods I make, I have my own equivalent appreciation of tableware.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 10:14:10 PM

It''s not tableware- it''s art. have you ever really -I mean really LOOKED at- Francis 1st? Gorham buttercup? Mythologique? Love disarmed? have you ever seen it in person?

haha... well, yes, my parents have and use fine china and fine silver. So I have "seen it in person." We are from a 600,000ish town in the midwest, to answer your second question. And to address WTNLVR''s theory, our family is firmly entrenched in the upper-middle-class (dad is an emergency physician).

My parents'' sets are antiques (they have two--one from their wedding and one that I picked out at age 12 that will one day be my wedding set). I never got the impression that my mother or father got "joy" out of their china/silver, it was just what we used on Thanksgiving (or other very special occasions). For our large family, the non-dishwasher-safe aspect was enough to keep it in the china cabinet 364 days a year.

As for it being art and not tableware... can it not be both? I mean, you eat off it, right? Or maybe you''re like my aunt who hangs her 300+ individual-piece china collection on her walls
28.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Everything Musey said! Except I'm from the northeast. But the part about coming from upper middle class and my parents having and using fine china and silver (being big party givers too) and I just am not into it. I got married in 1995 and had a small wedding and my family told me I would regret not registering for that stuff. I have never regretted it. And we don't exactly eat off paper plates either LOL. I have a nice everyday set and when I have guests I use that as well. I have a very nice home and anyone who would judge me or not want to come over because of my lack of fine china would be just as well to eat at someone elses home because that is not a friend I would want to have!

edited to add I find it amusing how snooty people get over china and sliverware.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I was raised all over the world, and my dad is a diplomat, so we have had our share of fine china usage. My parents own a few sets of fine china, from England, Holland etc, and a lot of nice silverware, but it''s not "me" anymore.

We live in California, and out of all my friends who are married, I only recall one couple registering for fine china. In california, entertaining usually means throwing an outdoor party with a BBQ buffet....all year round! Crystal glasses? NO WAY! Show the guests where the ice chest is so that they know where to put the beer they brought :)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I break a lot of plates/bowls/cups... darned things just slip out of my hands/off the table. Sometimes food is still in it. That''s why I only buy Corelle now. Any fine china or crystal would be destroyed in less than a year. Ask my grandma.
38.gif

Oh yeah... flower vase is horrible too. Who knows how many of those have perished in my hands.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2006 4:58:36 AM
Author: ForteKitty
I break a lot of plates/bowls/cups... darned things just slip out of my hands/off the table. Sometimes food is still in it. That''s why I only buy Corelle now. Any fine china or crystal would be destroyed in less than a year. Ask my grandma.
38.gif

Oh yeah... flower vase is horrible too. Who knows how many of those have perished in my hands.
Me too!!!! Maybe that''s the REAL reason I''m not interested
25.gif
Also, ditto everything Jaysonsmom said about California... I''d rather spend my money on making the rest of my house guest-friendly than being concerned with painted flowers under my food!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandmother (born and raised in the south) has lovely Royal Daulton china which I stand in line to inherit someday...and DH and I did register for china (but not sterling or crystal, which we regret). We live just outside Chicago, and received about 6 place settings of our pattern, and maybe 2 settings of flatware (stainless) and a hostess set/serving pieces. I keep suggesting to those in our family who ask what we want for Christmas/birthday gifts "place settings or flatware" and we still receive it on a very irregular basis...it''s tough to find or set aside extra money for that type of thing now that we are homeowners and some new expense arises every day. But I don''t regret registering for it at all, and someday we will have 12-16 place settings/flatware settings of everything, plus all the accessories (TG for ebay!)

Sure, when we registered we had visions of dinner parties, family get-togethers, etc. in which we would all dine on fine china and use our flatware and maybe some crystal water goblets (not many wine drinkers in either of our families)...we were definitely looking forward to the romance of it all. We don''t regret or deny those visions and still have hopes that someday we''ll have a big family and we can pull out all the stops at the afore-mentioned get togethers, but for now we will keep adding on slowly.

My point in replying to your post is to say that I think there are still plenty of brides and grooms and other folks out there who appreciate the well-dressed table. Just may take some additional time for some of us to get there, lol!
35.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, I like having those things, but when we got married I had just burned down the kitchen and lost everything in it, so we needed to start from scratch. Fine china and silver and crystal wasn't on the top of the list when we also needed all cooking utensils and pans and towels and bedsheets, plus our place is small so storage is an issue.

We registered for everyday Noritake dishes and for nice, big Crate and Barrel wine glasses. I had always admired my parents' Wedgwood wedding china (1967) which is very simple and classic, so she offered to give it to us. Now they use my brother-in-law's china from his first marriage, which was in the early 90's. We also picked a set of heirloom silver (my mom had about five sets from her mother, my father's mother, and various aunts), but we've never used it. We were given a pair of Waterford crystal champagne flutes not on our registry, and I'm glad we have them, but I wouldn't run out and buy a bunch of crystal.

We bought an antique china cabinet to hold our nice things, and I'm looking forward to moving into our new house where we can display it more properly. We'd also like to get a buffet for the dining room where we can put the decanters we got (which currently sit on top of the china cabinet which is crammed in a corner).

I think most young people today would like to have those nice things, but wouldn't make it a priority over other things for a registry.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
i love the idea of nice china/silverward/crystal, but we''re having a small wedding and live in a small apt, so part of me wonders if cash is the best gift (very common where I live). What other items do people put on the registry other than china, silverware that is really practical and do you think you''d prefer cash so that it can help with all those lovely bills that pop up post wedding?

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
I was married in 1992, and we registered for fine china and crystal.

We were 29 an 34 when we got married, so we already had households set up and didn't need other stuff for the house. We felt that if we were going to get china and crystal, now was the time, because we would never buy it for ourselves. We received 12 place settings of our china, but only a few pieces of crystal. I completed my crystal over the first few years we were married.

My mother bought us a nice set of Mikasa everyday dishes as an engagement gift. We have replaced that two times in 14 years, most recently about a week ago! With three kids and granite countertops, I finally made the move to Corelle.

I couldn't justify getting real silver, since it is so expensive. I have nice stainless that I use. We do hope to inherit my mil's silver. It is absolutely beautiful, and my husband has always loved it. My mil gave her china to my bil and his wife, since she now lives in a retirement community and doesn't entertain.

I still love my china (Liberty by Lenox). We used it for Christmas Eve, and will use it again tomorrow night for a family gathering. We occasionally have a nice dinner (with the kids) with the china and crystal, and they get a kick out of it.

If it is something that you think you might want somewhere down the road, I would recommend putting it on your wedding registry. I don't think that we ever would have spent the money ourselves on the china and crystal, but I am very happy to have it.

P.S We live in the Northeast (Philadelphia area), and were both raised upper middle class. I don't think having china or not is something to get "snooty" over, or judge people over, it is a personal choice. Some people enjoy formality, and some people are more casual. We do both, we love to entertain friends and family, sometimes it is formal with china, sometimes it is pizza on paper plates, standing around the kitchen island!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a beautiful tea set that I rescued -- it''s amazing what 30 minutes of polishing can do!

teaset_before.jpg

teaset_after.jpg

The difference truly is... night and day!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to love china, crystal, and sterling! I have about 4 china patterns including Spode Christmas Tree china (which never made it out of the cabinet this year). I have Waterford crystal and a couple of less formal sets. I have 12 place settings of Gorham flatware in Melrose. But do I ever use it? I hate to say it but I do not. I use my everyday dishes and stainless everyday, and we still go to our parents homes for major holidays. So while it was expected in the south for girls to register for all this way back when I married, I''ll never encourage my daughters to get so much. After all, they''ll each end up with half of mine!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results