clarity

Introvert or Extrovert?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... We should throw an introvert party...that no one will attend. :lol:

LOL.
That reminds me.
I have an atheist friend and we joke that we should knock on people's doors in our neighborhood.
When they answer we'd just stand there silently, then hand them a tract ... of blank paper. :lol-2:

I find Internet fora to be the perfect way to socialize for me.
It's just enough, not too much.

Don'tcha love being 100% in control of when to turn it on and off? :kiss2:
Imagine doing that with a live person. :-o

Last edited:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find Internet fora to be the perfect way to socialize for me.
It's just enough, not too much.

Don'tcha love being 100% in control of when to turn it on and off? :kiss2:
Imagine doing that with a live person. :-o

That’s the dream right there.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extrovert. after reading the above I am definitely an extroverted introvert. I love being 'on' but there are times I want to be alone and read. My husband is an extrovert also but only in what he likes - sailing, politics, our granddaughter! now I hate to say this but he's a snob at times. :) He brew up wealthier than I.. I'm a blue collar man's daughter and it shows.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ISFJ-T

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh OTOH loves people and being social and everyone he meets loves him and him them. It's hard for him being married to me as I don't enjoy parties except for very short periods of time and I always loathe to go so it is a challenge to get me in the mood for a party. Greg is always up for a party and I am the opposite and these past number of months in social isolation is really wearing on him the most. :/

I too am drained in large social gatherings. Or really by any socializing other than with immediate family. But because I'm outgoing people don't realize I'm an introvert until they know me better. I'm not shy - I'm just drained by socializing! I used to be very shy, agonizingly so, but practiced a lot and got over it.

The husband thinks it's funny because for as much as I grump around about not wanting to talk to people, if he leaves me alone for five minutes, when he comes back, I'll have made a new friend. In London, I felt bad almost the entire time (long story short, I got injured shortly before we went) and was really grumpy and didn't want to be around people at all, but every time he turned around, I was engrossed in a conversation with another stranger, lol.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Fellow ambivert here ;)2

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, we are happiest and healthiest when we are as similar as possible on the outside as we are on the inside.
Unfortunately there is enormous pressure in America and other western societies to be extroverted.
This is less so in Japan and some other Asian countries.

I remember hearing about a teacher calling a mother about her young child.
The teacher started with, "Your son is very shy, and ... "
The mom burst in and said, "There is nothing wrong with my child ...".

Media reinforces negative stereotypes of introverts when quick to report on how the murderer was a "loner".

Introverts have it rough in America. :(sad
I think introverts forcing themselves to conform to society's extrovert ideal is as unhealthy as closeted gay people forcing themselves to appear straight.

There is nothing wrong with us.
The problem is with our stupid intolerant society.

Relevant book: https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Introverts-World-Talking/dp/0307352153

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extrovert, ENFJ.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am an extroverted introvert just like @Mamabean :sun:
(aka Ambivert).

extroverted-introvert-quote.jpg

ambivert-a-person-who-has-a-balance-of-extrovert-and-14814024.png

I can be social but find it draining if for long periods of time. In short doses I even enjoy being social. But mainly with just one on one or just a few others at once. Big crowds overwhelm me generally.

me too, although if ive been with Joe public all day i just want to come home and wind down

i only ever enjoy a party when its almost time to go home and not many people are left
i can be painfully shy which leads to paralyzing lonleness
but i could also talk to someone i knew well all day and at the end of it an online friend would still know a lot more about me

and i would never be described as bubbly
but just occasionally i sparkle !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMO, we are happiest and healthiest when we are as similar as possible on the outside as we are on the inside.
Unfortunately there is enormous pressure in America and other western societies to be extroverted.

Media reinforces negative stereotypes of introverts when quick to report on how the murderer was a "loner".

I think introverts forcing themselves to conform to society's extrovert ideal is as unhealthy as closeted gay people forcing themselves to appear straight.

Relevant book: https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Introverts-World-Talking/dp/0307352153

your dead right Kenny
its always the shy quiet type that gets played up in the media

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ambivert for sure!
I was born extremely extroverted, learning to talk very early, making friends with strangers everywhere as a child.

Today I have some social burnout from the way many people are, I guess society taught me a lesson. I can still fake it but it makes me very tired.

In general ever since dealing with autoimmunity I tire much easier and really enjoy spending time alone. I do think that most people become some what more introverted with age though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ambivert for sure!
I was born extremely extroverted, learning to talk very early, making friends with strangers everywhere as a child.

Today I have some social burnout from the way many people are, I guess society taught me a lesson. I can still fake it but it makes me very tired.

In general ever since dealing with autoimmunity I tire much easier and really enjoy spending time alone. I do think that most people become some what more introverted with age though.

That is sure @Sunstorm in that life has a way of beating us up a bit and perhaps making us less trustful of others once bitten twice shy or something like that.

My mom told me that growing up I was very extroverted with one exception. Good looking men caused me to be very shy. This is when I was just a little kid at age 4 or 5. Crazy right? It's innate and just boggles my mind.

Luckily I got over being shy around handosme men haha. Well we know how that ended up. :lol: But no it's true. When I first met Greg I felt very shy but I was very good at acting not shy around him and of course once I got to know him the shyness vanished.

I was shy as a child but only around good looking men according to my mom. Isn't that the craziest???:P2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So freaking true! When I can just be me I am my happiest. And society does dictate to a large extent what is acceptable and what is not and being shy and introverted is not deemed A OK generally. My sister was very shy as a child and the teachers acted like that was a problem and to some extent it was because we live in America and that is not acceptable or at least wasn't acceptable. Our society is intolerant and it isn't easy growing up different than the norm.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
me too, although if ive been with Joe public all day i just want to come home and wind down

i only ever enjoy a party when its almost time to go home and not many people are left
i can be painfully shy which leads to paralyzing lonleness
but i could also talk to someone i knew well all day and at the end of it an online friend would still know a lot more about me

and i would never be described as bubbly
but just occasionally i sparkle !

I think you are perfect as you are @Daisys and Diamonds and you are very sparkly and lovely IMO. Perfect as you are. (((Hugs))).

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I "test" as an extrovert. Most people think I am but I do love my alone time. I generally meet people and socialize easily but it can be tiring. I guess I am a shade of gray, lol.

I test as ESFJ; DH tests as INTP! :-o

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a feeling that a lot of us are introverts. We should throw an introvert party...that no one will attend. :lol:

LOL yup. I always think oh I want to go to a PS GTG but when it comes right down to it I would probably dread attending though I know I would love meeting everyone if I did get the emotional fortitude and strength to attend. If one is ever held in NYC I would make the effort.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL yup. I always think oh I want to go to a PS GTG but when it comes right down to it I would probably dread attending though I know I would love meeting everyone if I did get the emotional fortitude and strength to attend. If one is ever held in NYC I would make the effort.

This exactly! I’m secretly grateful that none of the GTGs have been super close to me. :shifty:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took the test again just now and I tied for F and T 50% each Oy.

EST/FJ

My top 3 are:

ESFJ - The Provider

ESTJ - The Supervisor

and

ENFJ - The Teacher

I was pretty close on many of the categories.

You are organized and conscientious in your efforts to help other people. You feel a sense of personal responsibility for other people's needs, and are usually eager to get involved and help out. You typically enjoy routine and often keep a regular schedule that allows you to be organized and productive. You work methodically and consistently to make the world a better place.

I agree with this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This exactly! I’m secretly grateful that none of the GTGs have been super close to me. :shifty:

LOL I have mixed feelings.

Most of the PSers I have met are amazing people and I am so grateful for having met them and am friends with them IRL now. With the exception of one who fooled me.

Having said that I am very thankful I met PSers IRL and have maintained a close friendship with some. A GTG party might be too many people but my bet is if we went we would be happy we did @elle_71125.

Of course if one were to happen near me I would be nervous in the weeks following up to it as I am always anxious when meeting new people. I wish I wasn't but I am and it's innate. I cannot talk myself into calm when it comes to certain things but ultimately/usually I am glad I pushed myself to go.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I "test" as an extrovert. Most people think I am but I do love my alone time. I generally meet people and socialize easily but it can be tiring. I guess I am a shade of gray, lol.

I test as ESFJ; DH tests as INTP! :-o

I am (sort of) an ESFJ too @Gussie !

My dh isn't in the mood to take the test. I could take it for him though I guess.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Introvert
INTJ
66% Introvert, 67% intuitive, and 50/50 both on thinking/feeling and perceiving/judging. I have shifted more to feeling since I was younger, but all in all, I prefer to think my way through most things.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL I have mixed feelings.

Most of the PSers I have met are amazing people and I am so grateful for having met them and am friends with them IRL now. With the exception of one who fooled me.

Having said that I am very thankful I met PSers IRL and have maintained a close friendship with some. A GTG party might be too many people but my bet is if we went we would be happy we did @elle_71125.

Of course if one were to happen near me I would be nervous in the weeks following up to it as I am always anxious when meeting new people. I wish I wasn't but I am and it's innate. I cannot talk myself into calm when it comes to certain things but ultimately/usually I am glad I pushed myself to go.

I hear you. I get this sick feeling in my stomach leading up to events where I have to be social. Especially when meeting new people. In reality, it's never as bad as I imagined it would be...and sometimes it's (dare I say it?) enjoyable. Damn you, anxiety.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely an introvert. A good example is I really don't invite people to my house because there is no appropriate way to ask them to leave when I've had enough lol. You know because there is always that one person that overstays their welcome and that possibility makes me want to hide in bed under the covers.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ISFJ - but definitely an Ambivert. I enjoy other people but it does wear me out. Definitely need time to recoup!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I took this years ago, and I think the last two parameters were different then - seems it was F & J. But I just took it again, and while I'm not crazy about the category choices (I'd prefer more of a scale of 1-5 or 1-10 rather than accurate/inaccurate/neither) I came out as INTP - 82% introvert, 51% intuitive, 57% thinking, 59% perceiving.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results