shape
carat
color
clarity

Independent Appraisers Who

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rbrilliant

Rough_Rock
As an independent appraiser myself, I have a question for anyone who would like to reply to this be it an industry professional, consumer, or appraiser.
For someone who states that they are completely an independent appraiser who does not buy or sell jewelry, recommend one jeweler over the next, even to go as far to not even recommend where they should go to get their jewelry cleaned to be completely and honestly totally independent "be able to sell or broker clients jewelry"? I will leave it at that. Simply if you were to ask an appraiser who claims all that, if they could sell your jewelry for you and were told "we could get several prices for you from different buyers and broker the jewelry" working on a small % if you choose to sell. Is this appraiser independent?
Any replies would be much appreciated.

sparklish

Shiny_Rock
Well, I assume you''re asking only impressions of whether these people are independent - I''m not sure whethere there are specific professional guidelines, but in my opinion, yes.. you can remain independent and sell jewelry so long as you''re upfront about the commission you''re taking and only bring this up when people are specifically requesting recommended purchasers; to be ethical, I''d think you should also name some other purchasers as well. We bought our diamond from someone who is also an appraiser.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is an interesting issue Justin.

i am a fence sitter I guess.
On the one hand a person who buys and sells has a level of insight that an observer does not, but on the ther hand it can be too tempting to sieze an opportunity for an easy dollar when someone walks in with a low SI2 and you have the same stone in a high SI2 eating interest.

I guess the answer depends on the appraiser more than the concept.

It would be great if there were some way to accomodate more appraisers, and this restriction that we place on appraisers at Pricescope is in many instances unfair.

i welcome the discussion :)

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
We once asked an a appraiser to bring in a stone to look at.....we figured he must have contacts...he told us what he would charge as commission......we didn''t buy anything at that time. We considered asking again but how would we get a second opinion on that stone???? We thought that part would be awkward, so we didn''t go that route.....

rbrilliant

Rough_Rock
Thank you or your opinions. I guess the thing that bothers me is the fact that people are using we do not buy and sell to get people into their office and then that is what they are doing. I state I do not buy or sell and I do not. I have a disadvantage with the buying and selling part but at least I have my morals.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My firm is known as an independent appraisal business. My original family business was actually buying and wholesaling diamonds, colored gems and jewelry. Over time we have decreased that side of the overall business to being known as a wholesale market maker and dealer in old European cut diamonds. We are willing bid on and sometimes to buy many kinds of jewelry, diamonds and interesting colored gems, but it is not a major business for us any longer. Whatever we do buy, we sell to other dealers and not to the retail level consumer.It is a nice way to make extra money, but it in no way has any effect on doing independent appraisal work. We try to keep both businesses as purely separated as possible.

We would never offer to appraise for retail and then try to buy the same item if the appearance of conflict might even raise doubts. We do one or the other, but rarely would do both. The only way we''d do both functions would be without advance knowledge of the intentions of the client. Then we would not have looked potentially biased. I could give several other instances of where bias or the doubt of a bias might or might not be created. There are so many ways to pose hypothetical situations. Knowing when to agree to do a job and when to limit one''s work is always a challenge. A well trained, ethical appraiser will know where to draw the line.

An appraiser with sufficient knowledge of buying values and sufficient capital to take risks can be an ethical appraiser and an ethical buyer. Selling to retail consumers is where we must draw a reasonably firm line. While we might agree to laser engrave a diamonds, set a diamond or occasionally supply a plain, Stuller type, mounting, that''s about as far as we''ll go in the retail arena. It isn''t difficult to be independent so much as always trying to simpoly do the right thing and to be fair to all concerned, consumers, sellers and our fellow appraisers.

blitz

Rough_Rock
I don''t buy and sell. I do provide names and phone numbers of dealer and traditional auction houses.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would tell such an appraiser off.
If they offer to broker/buy my stuff then I have to assume that the appraisal they gave me is worthless and they are trying to pull a fast one.
If they lie about being independant how can I trust the appraisal the person wrote.

I think that an appraiser can buy/sell and still be objective but they have to be upfront and honest about it.
But Id never sell anything to them or thru them they appraised its way too big a conflict of interest.

rbrilliant

Rough_Rock

First I would like to start of by thanking everyone for their replies.

I am specifically referring to Jewelry Appraisers who "STATE WE DO NOT BUY OR SELL JEWELRY" then brokers jewelry.

Is this Acceptable?

sparklish

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/26/2005 3:50:11 PM
Author: rbrilliant

I am specifically referring to Jewelry Appraisers who ''STATE WE DO NOT BUY OR SELL JEWELRY'' then brokers jewelry.

Is this Acceptable?

Clearly, this is unethical not to mention it may be illegal.

The reason we brought from an appraiser was because he offered the best prices we saw, the best selection, and did not attempt to "bait and switch," by offering my fiance something that would cost more than our clearly stated budget.

Someone who lies about their business off the bat is probably lying about other things, and I wouldn''t trust such a businessperson.

rbrilliant

Rough_Rock
I guess I will leave it as a statement. People who are advertising that they are independent appraisers who do not buy or sell jewelry however will broker your jewelry for you are truly not independent. If you say you don’t buy or sell jewelry than don’t "BROKER" it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results