shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm in Misery and Want Company

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Wull, yeah, of course! I mean, it's just like me.:lol:
I am so sorry this happened and it must have been so frustrating. That being said, now that some time has passed, is it ok if I lol about it with you? The way you describe how it happened is just hilarious

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many years ago lost a natural alexandrite that had been given to me by my grandmother. Over two carats, rough cut, and great, saturated colors and color change. I was young and ignorant at the time, and hadn’t had it insured.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
... it was chucked across the floor by my evil/sweet cat who loves to knock everything on the floor...

Aha! I'm not surprised that a cat was the culprit. Cats are evil. They just LOVE to wreak havoc.

One of my cats once broke an expensive bottle of perfume, then peered down from the bathroom countertop to peruse his handiwork, the shattered glass and liquid of my Christmas present all over the floor. I could swear there was a smirk on his face.

Another time, he batted my diamond ring under the stove. He also snatched my pearl necklace off the coffee table, ran with it in his mouth to the top of a chair, and dropped it to the floor.

He also caused problems in my marriage. The husband and I were in a huge argument (it was so long ago I don't even remember why) and husband had called me from his job. This was back when we had a landline phone that sat on the kitchen counter. We were trying to make up when kitty strolled over and casually pushed down the piece that hung up the phone with his paw. To this day, husband does not believe that it was not me but the evil cat who hung up on him.

I could go on and on! And yet, I miss him every day lol.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Omg I'm so so so sorry!!!! That is very upsetting!!!!!

I lost one diamond hoop earring in the ocean after a day at the beach. They were hefty earrings with a lot of gold and decent melee so now I've got this lone earring that just makes me sad.

Oh no..I’m so sorry @mellowyellowgirl!

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
Another time, he batted my diamond ring under the stove. He also snatched my pearl necklace off the coffee table, ran with it in his mouth to the top of a chair, and dropped it on the floor.
I had forgotten about this, but I used to have a cat who learned that there were small shiny things in my jewelry box. On more than one occasion she was sitting nearby when I opened the lid. She bolted to the box, stole an earring, and went running off. I, no doubt looking like a crazy woman, went chasing her down through the house to retrieve my earring! :mrgreen2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I went on a holiday and brought along some valuable jewellery--including a pair of pearl drop earring that belonged to my Mother. I loved those earrings and wore them a fair amount--always with her permission. But this time, I didn't tell her I took them.

Upon return, the Customs agent eviscerated my luggage. He dumped everything out on the table, including my jewellery. When repacking, I thought I put everything back in it's place. But a pearl earring was somehow left behind.

I felt horrible as I hadn't received permission to borrow them. Of course I had it remade and it cost me 3x what the entire pair cost originally.

Lesson learned.

cheers--Sharon

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I dropped my engagement ring one day when I went to put it on.

My first thought as it fell to the floor was ´I hope it didn’t fall into the heating duct return’. I turned and looked and was SO relieved to see it on the floor right beside the duct.

But in my haste to pick it up, I then dropped it into the duct!!!

My husband was able to retrieve my ring by dismantling the duct in the basement.

He brought my ring to me, got down on his knee, and presented it to me, as he had done the day we got engaged. So gallant, romantic and heartwarming after 30 years of marriage.

TARSHA

Rough_Rock
I dropped my engagement ring one day when I went to put it on.

My first thought as it fell to the floor was ´I hope it didn’t fall into the heating duct return’. I turned and looked and was SO relieved to see it on the floor right beside the duct.

But in my haste to pick it up, I then dropped it into the duct!!!

My husband was able to retrieve my ring by dismantling the duct in the basement.

He brought my ring to me, got down on his knee, and presented it to me, as he had done the day we got engaged. So gallant, romantic and heartwarming after 30 years of marriage.

AW-W-W-W :love: SO SWEET !!!:appl::appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
broke? no, LOST. I had an amazingly beautiful fire engine red spinel that was just a wee bit over 2cts. I decided I wanted to go out and take pictures. I stupidly fumbled the tweezers, the stone bounced twice on the deck and fell right though the slats :-o :shock::doh:Those slats were not coming up unless I also wanted to tear up part of the house!

I was tempted. I was also tempted to take a saw and cut right through the deck too....

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain, I too dropped & chipped a lovely Ethiopian opal showing it off to my Mum outside - dropped it on the brickwork... :wall:

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I've lost a few of my favorite pieces of jewelry over the years. That's my woe!

The most unique and spectacular was a Nigerian Zircon that was tenebrescent. It would change colors quite shockingly when exposed to sunlight and when allowed to rest.

Other than that, I also lost a hearts and arrows diamond in a custom solitaire I had designed and I lost an August Vintage round in a custom ring I had designed :(

892CCC96-B709-49CF-8B9C-113B4E941147.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had an Etsy store for a minute and I had bought an 18k white gold band to resell. Was taking pictures of it outside and while taking the last picture it fell into a pile of leaves. I thought raking would help but DH said that only made it worse. Despite a metal detector and multiple episodes of picking through the leaves on my hand and knees it has never been found.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I was 12, I had a lovely (open-topped) flat beaded pouch necklace that my mom had made for me. We had an opal cabochon that was about 16x14mm. I put the opal in the pouch and wore it out to dinner with my parents and grandparents. When we got home that night, the opal was gone. My parents took me back to the restaurant and we searched on our hands and knees but didn’t find it.

Literally 30 years later, I was going through my grandmother’s stuff after she died, and I found the unset opal! It must have fallen out of the pouch and she must have found it and kept it, not knowing it was mine. Amazing.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ouch! I do stuff like that all the time. Most recently I managed to drop a perfectly perfect tahitian bought off Yssie into our fireplace where it bounced around like a possessed pinball and covered itself in pinprick dents. I had covid and was feeling pretty rough so had taken it out to make me feel better. Well, that didn't work out. I cried my eyes out. Uncontrollable sobbing. Lamentations of 'why can't i have nice things' and 'all i want is some prettiness'. I think a pacman station necklace would be hilarious! Just find a broken oval and turn it into the ghost. Voila!

When I was 12, I had a lovely (open-topped) flat beaded pouch necklace that my mom had made for me. We had an opal cabochon that was about 16x14mm. I put the opal in the pouch and wore it out to dinner with my parents and grandparents. When we got home that night, the opal was gone. My parents took me back to the restaurant and we searched on our hands and knees but didn’t find it.

Literally 30 years later, I was going through my grandmother’s stuff after she died, and I found the unset opal! It must have fallen out of the pouch and she must have found it and kept it, not knowing it was mine. Amazing.

How serendipitous! Where's the opal now? Have you set it yet?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, I put the opal on the table and it was chucked across the floor by my evil/sweet cat who loves to knock everything on the floor in what I believe to be a constant attempt to kill the dogs. I'm so over it.

I bought the opal from @jordyonbass Sorry, dude. I'm a horrible gem mom.

Ohh I think I remember this one too, it had a wonderful burst of rainbow confetti colour-play if I recall correctly. That's a big bummer ;(

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened, that's why my cats are locked out of my workshop when I'm cutting Opal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results