shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m confused!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Ladies, did you pick your colors and then decide on things to go w/them or pick flowers and other stuff that you like, thereby choosing your colors?
Also, what stuff are you incorporating into your color theme?
I ask b/c my favorite color is purple and my FI''s is green so I thought, easy, our colors are purple and green.
1.gif
I guess it was too easy b/c I can''t find purple flowers that I like. I''m liking softer looking flowers like Cosmos, Ranunculus (which won''t work b/c they''re a spring flower), Peonies, Gardenias... Plus, I''m trying to pick a flower that would work as a floating flower too for our centerpieces. So now I''m thinking of switching the pink to purple but am also wondering what else will I coordinate w/these colors. My site allows us to pick napkins w/the color of our choice but the tablecloths are white.
I thought of adding a ribbon to the black, cocktail like bm dresses in the purple or now possibly pink color. Not sure how to incorporate the green though. I found these clear glass bowls that have a purple bottom that I thought of getting for the centerpieces and now w/thinking of changing colors, figure these wouldn''t work.
So all in all, I''m just a little confused. Not quite getting how the colors work into everything.

Help please!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I picked my colors first, which made things a lot easier. Also, pick three colors that you want to work with and stick with those. For instance, mine were coral, marigold, and deep red. It worked really well and made looking for flowers, BM dresses, and centerpieces that much easier. I think a green ribbon on the BM dress, depending on the shade of green, would look fine, too. I think you are going too far ahead of yourself. You can''t really look productively if you don''t know what colors you are looking for, imo.

*M*

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We didn''t choose colors, we just incoporated lots of flowers and all different colors that we love (my boquet was all white, I didn''t have attendants). I''m so glad we didn''t get into the whole color/theme thing. It turned out to be beautiful and elegant. Our favors were potted flowers, we used potted plants/flowers at our ceremony site and pretty much every color of the rainbow ended up being at our wedding in one way or another.

jesterjigger

Shiny_Rock
We did it kind of backwards. Fiance wanted blue, so we picked a blue color. However, then I couldn''t find any flowers I liked to go with blue. Then I saw a lily (which is my favorite flower) in a deep wine color, so we decided to change our color to wine and everything''s just come together from there. So if you have a flower you love that''s perfect for what you want go ahead and pick it, it''s easy to find colors to match your flowers, I found it a lot harder to find flowers I liked since I wanted a dark and vibrant bouquet, not white or cream.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
This site can really keep someone up all night! I just love it!!!

Poptart, boy are you right, I am too far ahead of myself! I think a green ribbon would work on the bm dresses too so I'm keeping that in mind. I have noticed that most people have three colors instead of two. I haven't exactly figured out why that is though and how I will incorporate all those colors. I actually planned to pick colors first but I'm finding it isn't as simple as I once thought it was, given my problems w/flowers in those colors. But I haven't given up yet!
2.gif

Kimberly, I do like the idea of not having colors at all b/c it feels very freeing. I have been thinking about that but I keep hearing colors, colors, colors so I'm trying hard to pick some! I am one of those matchy-matchy kind of people though so wonder if I don't pick, will I actually drive myself crazier. But the good thing is, I'm not taking any of this too, too seriously and am still having fun w/it.. at the moment! Your wedding sounds like it was very pretty!

Jesterjigger, I feel like I'm in your situation a bit. I like the deeper purples and can't find anything I like so I'm considering switching too. I'm glad to hear you found a color and flower you are happy with. What else are you using your wine color for?

Thank you for your input ladies!!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Dixie... just a sidenote to answer your question. People usually choose three colors because it is an odd number and visually pleasing. When people decorate or things like that, it is usually done with odd numbers for this same reason.

*M*

ETA: The odd numbers also help to create balance which also looks nice!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried to think about what was in season at the time, I also took into account what I like and the setting, what would look good in the room. Also, the time of year, burgundy to me is a great fall/winter color or an accent in spring/summer but I would keep the colors consistent with the time of year. I currently love and will likely use for my son''s bar mitzvah, in the upstairs adult area, chocolate brown, celadon or pale dove blue/grey, with ivory and gold. I then will base the flowers (ivory, chocolate roses, blue and green hydrangeas, etc) on those colors. It helps if you like something, it is in season when you are getting married and also looks good during that time of year. I think you can use accents of something, just touches, and be neutral with most of the rest...

aktotx

Rough_Rock
There was no picking my colors it was a given. Lavender is my favortie and I just added silver and white because they look good. My BM dresses are all lavender and my 8yr old who will be a jr bm and ring girl will also have a lavender. My flowergirls will have white and lavender. I''ll also add lavender to whatever I think needs it but not too much. I know I didn''t help sorry..

Susan

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
I picked my colors first, but I took into account the venue and what would look good together. Our colors are pink and silver, with ivory accents (tablecloths, my dress, etc.) I also really liked the look of sage/chocolate combo but because of the location I eliminated the green. We are getting married in an old Victorian greenhouse and I kindof thought that would be too much green. Anyway, I kept going back to pink so I stuck with it, and I really like the look of silver with pink, I think they really accent each other and look elegant.
I think if you want purple and green, stick with it. You could do purple bm dresses and then have more pink in the flowers, with purple accents. Are there any pink flowers you love? What time of year is the wedding? Have you asked a florist for recommendations? That''s what I did, I went to the knot and found pictures of bouquets that I liked, and then showed them all to the florist and told him what I liked about each one and pointed out things I didn''t like. My BM dresses are pale pink which I was a little hesitant about next to ivory but I think it will work, and we went with brighter flowers. He was also able to tell me what would be in season and what wouldn''t.
Hope I didn''t ramble too long! Good luck deciding.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
similar to prior post, we didn''t really "choose colors" and then go, it just evolved based on what we chose first

first came my gown with pale gold/champagne sash,

then came the fact that i wanted sunflowers for my bms, and they wanted a dark color dress, so voila, the burguny/wine bm dress came (sunflowers really POP against them)

we''re having multi-colored potted mums, so will surely end up with a bunch of colors, but we are getting married in the fall in the country, so nature will follow as well.

jesterjigger

Shiny_Rock
What about the purples in this one? I loved this bouquet, but decided it wasn''t right for my September wedding (sorry, I don''t know when your wedding is, but I love, love, love this bouquet).

springbouquet.jpg

candctroll

Rough_Rock
We are doing a dark hunter green, purple and a creamy color. We are doing the flowers ourselves but here are the ones we are working with.

IMG_1797.jpg

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Mine sort of fell into place. I love color in general, so I wasn''t too pick about what colors we used. As it turns out, the church carpet is red, so everything needed to look good with red, sicne it''ll be the backdrop. It is a night wedding, so I wanted it to look formal. My bridesmaids wanted black dresses. And the ones that my MOH picked for them have a lovely ivory sash. So the whole wedding is going to be black and white (well...ivory) with color accents (mostly reds and purples and a lil green b/c of the greenery).

If I were doing a day time wedding though, I totally would have done something precious like chocolate and blue or lillac or Pink, orange, and cream.

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
Dixie,

Some flower ideas. There are some neat purple flowers out there that could work as floating flowers. You could do some cymbidium orchinds as the floating purple flowers in your centerpieces (pic attached) For your green theme you could accent that look with hypericum berries (pic attached in next post). I think that you could tie that together by doing a silver ribbon, not too metalicy though around your bouquets and go from there. I think that the purple should be your primary colour and then the green (limey green though) and do silver as a slight accent colour. I do definately agree that you should do three colours. And I admit I have not read everyone else''s posts so i may be repeating others. The floating flower thing you could do no prob yourself but if you want to do a cymbid bouquet it would likely need to be wired etc in order for it to be a posey style bouquet and that would need to be done professionally.

I work in a flower shop though and you def need to pick your colours before you decide on flowers. It is a nightmare when brides come in and want us to design their wedding flowers and they have no colour scheme. Flowers are the most adaptable thing I think that you need to start with bridesmaid''s dresses and go from there if that helps you. Just my floral related experience.

Cheers,
Rebecca

cybidpurple.GIF

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I picked the colors first, and then everything was guided by that.

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
These are hypericum berries (fyi the cymbidium orchids also come in a green colour)

hypb.png

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
I picked the flowers first.. I wanted red roses for centerpieces and bouquets and since I''m having a beach wedding I picked Aqua to go with the location..

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Poptart, thanks for the explanation on choosing 3 colors! I think I''d go w/some neutral as my 3rd color to help balance the other two.
Diamondfan, thanks! I always thought of a sage green as late summer/fall but I''ve heard on here it referred to as a spring color often. Maybe I''m just out of the loop!! That''s part of the reason I like purple too b/c I like the deeper shades and I think that goes better w/later in summer vs. earlier. I hadn''t thought of what would go in the room. That is a very good point. The chairs they''re using have a burgundy-like (I think) colored cushion. I''ll have to keep that in mind when thinking of colors.

Aktotx, you did help! Your reasoning is the same as my reasoning for my colors. I just picked what I liked! I''m only starting to rethink b/c I''m having a hard time finding flowers to go.

Tiffanytwisted, thanks for your input! I am actually thinking of black bm dresses w/a purple or green ribbon/sash. But do you think having both purple and pink will be too much? Yes, there are a lot of pink flowers that I like, which is mainly why I was thinking of switching to pink. The wedding will be in Sept. I haven''t yet talked to a florist but that is on my list of things to do. I am hoping to get some good ideas. I think the pale pink and ivory will look pretty together. I am thinking of ivory or some sort of cream for my 3rd color.

Labbielove, I think picking the things first actually makes a lot of sense and certainly easier! Your colors all sound pretty, especially for a fall, country wedding.

Jesterjigger, I like those big purple flowers in your first bouquet. What are they? Actually, my wedding is in Sept. too.
1.gif
I''m pretty sure I want all the same flower in the bouquets and since I''m thinking of doing them myself, I have to find something that I can find locally or that an online store offers.

Candctroll, I like those dark purple flowers a lot! Are those roses? They are really beautiful. I am actually going to start looking at different types of roses b/c I hadn''t considered them before but since there are so many varieties and colors, I figure I should at least look. I really like the flowers in your picture! We are also going to do flowers ourselves so I want to find something reasonable and easy to work with.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Fancy, your colors sound very pretty! I like the black and ivory w/color accents a lot. I''m doing black bm dresses too and I love the idea of a bright bouquet w/their dresses or a colored sash.

Sparkel, thanks for your ideas! I love the orchids you posted but I think they''re just too costly for me. I also really like the green berries you posted, beautiful shade of green! I do think though that I want just one type of flower in the bouquet and a flower that I can manage on my own. Since you mentioned that I''d probably need to do the orchid bouquets professionally and b/c they''re prob. too expensive for me, I probably won''t be able to do them. Do you have other ideas for purple flowers that would work as a floating flower and in a bouquet? What do you think about a variety of roses? I also read that cosmos are delicate and don''t travel well so probably wouldn''t work if I was ordering online. Is that your experience? Also, I haven''t even found a place that sells them online, it''s mostly roses, carnations, lillies, etc...
I have never thought of silver w/the purple and green and will have to try and find some pictures. What do you think about ivory or a cream as the 3rd color?

FireGoddess, thanks!

Anacgarcia, I like your color choices! Sounds like it will go w/your location beautifully!

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate everyone''s comments and suggestions. It has helped a lot.

bravesfan

Shiny_Rock
Hey Dixie!

Our color is purple and silver and here is what we are doing: I hope it helps
1.gif

Flower and Color Ideas with description.JPG

bravesfan

Shiny_Rock
Wow the writing is small: Here are the flowers we are using

Purple hydrangea
Purple and white Lisianthus
Purple Delphinium
Lilac
Sweet Pea
White lisianthis with lavender tips
Purple Tulips

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Bravesfan, beautiful combo!! Thanks for posting it. How are you tying in the silvers? I love the different shades of purples and creams. I like the Lisianthus and love Tulips but unfortunately, they''re not in my season.

bravesfan

Shiny_Rock
We are going to put a silver bow on them and a silver "pixie dust" on all of the bouquets so that they catch the light just a little. Also the florist mentioned putting crystal/ silver sparkle inserts in them, but I am still thinking that one through.

bravesfan

Shiny_Rock
Here is this bouquet too: It has the pink purple and a little bit of sage. I dont know all of the flowers in it though:

hfdhsalies.JPG

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
Dixie,

I think that a cream colour could be striking with what you are planning. As for roses that could definately work. You could do a single or three roses in a bowl type idea (pic attached). I think that you would want to do minimal greens and maybe put some black river rocks in the bottom (black bm dresses) or another colour depending on the look you want. Just a few rocks in the bottom. I also think if you want a more modern look you can use a more square rose "bowl" and it would look great. You need minimal water in the vase.

For your bm bouquets you could do blue curiosa roses and maybe some of those berries collared around the edge if you wanted to tie in the green. You could also do a small amount of the berries in your table pieces. I did a long post for So_Happy about putting together rose bouquets that you might find helpful I think if you search south america flowers or somethin it comes up. For the blue curiosa roses you would want them a few days in advance so that they would have time to blow open as they sometimes come tight. These would look awesome with the bm dresses and really stand out. You could also do some really interesting greenery around the bouquets to create some funk and do this in your bouqet as well (pic attached)

For your bouquet you could maybe do white vendella roses. They stand up extremely well and are more of a cream white and stand up well. If you got some taller squared vases you could use the bouquets as accent flowers at the reception if they had a little water in the bottom prepared. More bang for your buck. Once again you would want to make sure that they have time to blow open so your bouquet looks full. You could again do some of the berries around the roses if you want to create continuity. The berries are very easy to work with.

For corsages and bouts. Don''t do them yourself totally not worth it and way to complicated for most people to handle in all honesty.

Hopefully that helps.

210206215955_blue-curiosa.jpg

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
Note the way the leaves are bent back, best pic i could find.

aspidestra leaves.jpg

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
These are the vendellas

vendella.jpg

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkel, thank you so much for your ideas and pictures. I am definitely a picture person so I appreciate everything. Are the roses you posted the blue curiosa roses? If not, are they actually blue or do they have them in a purple? I like the Vendella roses a lot but I do think I want purple for my bouquet as well, assuming purple is my color. I really like the idea of the Bear Grass in the vases w/the centerpieces. Is that easy to find? I also really like the idea of black rocks at the bottom. So creative and I like tying in the bm dress color! I will do a search for your rose post b/c now I''m seriously starting to consider roses. How big of a bowl do you think I''d need for 2 flowers and 2 floating candles? I looked at some 6-8 inch bowls today and they seemed very small, especially the 6 inch. I like the bowls that have a slightly flared open look but they are a lot more expensive.
I love all these new options to play around with. Thank you!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, Sparkle is a DOLL with those pics
30.gif
30.gif

I chose my venue first and foremost because you may have to work around a lime carpet or something. But I have only mahogany flooring so I''m REAL good there. Then my BM dress colors because it was difficult for me to find a color that fit my "vision", ceremony spot, reception spot, my bms, AND my idea of a summer wedding in general. Then I was stumped for 3 loooong months for a complimentary pairing. Then, the love of my life says "uh...I like green" and I said HOLY CRAP, BATMAN.....I never thought of green. And now everytime I see sage and lilac toghether I just go "yum"!! I threw some silver in there because I think it''s nice to choose one''s metallics and whites so that when those choices come up, even tho they are not really your "colors", they help guide things better. (i.e. Silver or gold? white or ivory).

Once you have those colors, then the flowers can come

And once those flowers are chosen..........WOW.......the process seems all worth it :)

Of course, everyone clearly takes thier own path to "Wow". lol.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results