shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm baaaack and seriously considering a reset - gasp!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the "Ellen". I def think that you should see some bezels in person to see how you feel about them...

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I have the danhov bezel (for my asscher), had my asscher reset in November to this and love it. I haven't had any problems w/ bending, etc, i am pretty careful w/ my jewelry but I have knocked it a few times.

here's a pic:

good luck w/ your reset! :)

asscherja5.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I'm so glad to see you!!! I can't wait to catch up!! I thought finishing your degree was taking a really long time lol ;-)

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
kcoursolle|1314910058|3007698 said:
The plot thickens. I just called the one danhov retailer in my area to see if they have that bezel setting for me to view in person. I talked to the goldsmith and she said that she has seen a number of these rings come back with the top portion of the setting bent over from being knocked. Apparently, it's not a very stable design since the u area is soldered onto the shank and represents a weak spot. This is a bit concerning, but I am pretty light on my rings. I would, however, prefer that this setting be set lower, which would also prevent knocking it around and potentially bending it. It's a shame though, because the profile, the u-shape, and the delicateness of this bezel is what attracted me to it. I'm not sure what she said would completely stop me from buying it, but something to think about. There has to be a way to make a delicate bezel, with an open profile, that isn't as vulnerable.

What about this from BGD? Bezel, open profile, but with added stability. If you want it to be more delicate, I;m sure Brian can work it out for you.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5541

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1314913030|3007738 said:
Hi Kcoursolle! I've been wondering where you disappeared to. :bigsmile: I've always found your posts to be very helpful, especially in RT over the years.

Of the three you listed, my vote goes to the trellis setting. They're all beautiful though.

Hi Zoe, thank you for your kind words. I miss rockytalky, learning about all of the new ventures in diamonds and helping people find a beautiful stone. I can't wait to be back more later this fall. I've lurked around a bit for the past few months and I'm in awe of the beautiful new stones like the AVC's, storm's Octavia, etc., totally blew me away!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
asscher_girl|1314926548|3007880 said:
I have the danhov bezel (for my asscher), had my asscher reset in November to this and love it. I haven't had any problems w/ bending, etc, i am pretty careful w/ my jewelry but I have knocked it a few times.

here's a pic:

Wow, gorgeous reset! I loved your old set too, but wowza your asscher looks fantastic in the new danhov bezel. I like your diamond bands with it too. I think this setting is versatile in terms of what would look well along side of it.

I looked up your thread and very much enjoyed all of the pictures. Do you find the setting is a bit high or not so much? Glad to hear it's held up well so far. The setting looks pretty delicate, can you describe what it looks like in person?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra|1314928243|3007899 said:
Oh I'm so glad to see you!!! I can't wait to catch up!! I thought finishing your degree was taking a really long time lol ;-)

Hey Cehra, so glad to hear from you! I have always loved your stone, I was just reminded from your lovely avatar. Yes...ph.d.'s tend to take...um, years to finish LOL.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1314913080|3007739 said:
I'm not surprised... there's a reason I have my wires under my halo:

DSCN0699_0.jpg

Have you looked to see if you have a Vatche retailer near you... you could try on the Caroline. It's a lovely setting.

Pearlmans will send you settings so you can try them on.

So will Eternity Diamonds.

Wow, Gypsy your picture reminds me just how lovely and well-made your ring is. The Vatche Caroline is gorgeous, I just looked through DS's daughter's ring thread and it's a beautiful and feminine setting. I had another thought too after purusing through JBEG. This CAD design could look amazing in person. Thoughts, since you have such great taste? I like how it's a modern bezel, but still a bit feminine, and looks more stable perhaps than the JA one.

957918186_bGeSs-S.jpg

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
kcoursolle|1314934245|3007981 said:
asscher_girl|1314926548|3007880 said:

here's a pic:

Wow, gorgeous reset! I loved your old set too, but wowza your asscher looks fantastic in the new danhov bezel. I like your diamond bands with it too. I think this setting is versatile in terms of what would look well along side of it.

I looked up your thread and very much enjoyed all of the pictures. Do you find the setting is a bit high or not so much? Glad to hear it's held up well so far. The setting looks pretty delicate, can you describe what it looks like in person?

Hi kcoursolle, thank you :) I'm really happy with it. I really don't find the setting all that high, it could maybe come down a teeny tinny bit but any more and my diamond would rub against my bands. I love how low the shank of the ring is. I've actually been wearing my bezel band from BGD with it recently and love them together. The bezel is just so clean and crisp, I love the "architectural" lines. I was planning on getting this reset to add some finger coverage and hold me over until I upgrade but I really think that even when I upgrade at some point, I will keep the bezel (a new setting though since I don't think they could resize the bezel). I'm super happy with it and I feel like the diamond is so much more protected than with the old 4 prong head I had. And I think someone else mentioned above regarding cleaning - it's really easy to clean it w/ the bezel, it was a pain w/ the 4 prong.

I also love that bezel from JBEG, it's gorgeous! and would look awesome with a round stone.

Can't wait to see what you do!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you KC... yeah, Steven did a great job blending in the new with the old and I'm thrilled with my ring again. You comments have be all glowy!

I ADORE that bezel. If I were getting a bezel for a round, that would be IT. Great choice KC! I've ogled that one a time or ten. And their Julia is one of my favorite solitaires for larger stones. JBEG has great setting designs that are contemporary but lyrical at the same time and that bezel is a great example of that. It does look more stable as well, and that's important.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh|1314914901|3007761 said:
Ohhhh so nice to see you back Koursie!!!! We have missed you. Now I have to go back and read the thread in full...Fun project. Sounds like you are doing great. :wavey:

Hi Kaleigh, it's so wonderful to hear from you! I hope you are doing well!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1314926106|3007874 said:
I like the "Ellen". I def think that you should see some bezels in person to see how you feel about them...

The Ellen is so classic and versatile, and I think it looks pretty good on my hand. I am trying my darndest to see bezels in person, but hardly anyone carries them, especially nice thin ones. I going to go to a few more places this week and see what I can find and what I think.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1314928871|3007904 said:
The plot thickens. I just called the one danhov retailer in my area to see if they have that bezel setting for me to view in person. I talked to the goldsmith and she said that she has seen a number of these rings come back with the top portion of the setting bent over from being knocked. Apparently, it's not a very stable design since the u area is soldered onto the shank and represents a weak spot. This is a bit concerning, but I am pretty light on my rings. I would, however, prefer that this setting be set lower, which would also prevent knocking it around and potentially bending it. It's a shame though, because the profile, the u-shape, and the delicateness of this bezel is what attracted me to it. I'm not sure what she said would completely stop me from buying it, but something to think about. There has to be a way to make a delicate bezel, with an open profile, that isn't as vulnerable.

What about this from BGD? Bezel, open profile, but with added stability. If you want it to be more delicate, I;m sure Brian can work it out for you.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5541

Hi Twinkle, thanks for the link! I've been following BGD since they branched off and I do think they do a really nice job with their custom designs. This ring has a great profile, but theres just something about it I'm not as attracted to. I would definitely want to tweak, and I imagine BGD would do a good job if I did finally decide on design ;-)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
kcoursolle|1314934869|3007995 said:
Cehrabehra|1314928243|3007899 said:

Hey Cehra, so glad to hear from you! I have always loved your stone, I was just reminded from your lovely avatar. Yes...ph.d.'s tend to take...um, years to finish LOL.

Thank you :) I guess I thought you were closer lol But it's great to have you back! Your 5 stone was the first one I ever loved :) I'm going to be resetting my stone soon. I'm living in China right now so there's a bit of a logistics issue. Once that's resolved - oh I can't wait! I am interested to know what you choose!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone, thanks for your helpful suggestions!! I think I've narrowed it down and I'm starting to get excited. I'm trying to take my time so I make the right decision and am really confident with what I end up doing.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a few cheapie cz rings and have been wearing them around the house. This was even more helpful than I expected. One was a thin delicate solitaire, one was a solitaire with a thicker shank, and the other was a delicate bezel. I ruled out the thicker solitaire right away. The proportions just didn't look as well on my hand relative to the more delicate shanks. Both the delicate solitaire and the bezel looked great on my hand, but I don't know what it is, but I think plain solitaires may be *too* simple for me. I appreciate them so much more than I used to and I have seen some amaaaazing ones here on ps, but I think I do need something more unique. The bezel ring looked great on me, but I did not like how thick the bezel was around the stone in the cheapie silver ring. I balanced my pendant on top of the ring and it looks great (very thin bezel with milgrain around edge). The bezel definitely needs to be thin and delicate otherwise in my opinion it just doesn't look great. The husband also loved the bezel design, how simple it was, and we both agreed it would be very life friendly. I have *always* loved well-made bezel rings, so I'm feeling confident that I'd love one.

I am now leaning towards the Julia bezel style from JBEG with a few modifications. I have also been in contact with Grace about consigning my Danhov me30 and she has been fantastic in terms of customer service! I'm getting a quote from them now, and I'll keep you posted. Woot!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T|1314892823|3007451 said:
Welcome back K :wavey: I was wondering about you, after viewing a post by you on your five stone. Anyways, I'm biased, Love diamonds in a bezel, but its not for everyone. Do you own anything bezel? could you find a fakey costume bezel ring and try for a bit just to be sure?

Threadjack- Maisie nice to see you :)) {end T/J}

Hey D&T, I just wanted to mention that buying some fakey jewelry was actually super helpful. Thanks for the tip!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1315026706|3008873 said:
Thank you KC... yeah, Steven did a great job blending in the new with the old and I'm thrilled with my ring again. You comments have be all glowy!

I ADORE that bezel. If I were getting a bezel for a round, that would be IT. Great choice KC! I've ogled that one a time or ten. And their Julia is one of my favorite solitaires for larger stones. JBEG has great setting designs that are contemporary but lyrical at the same time and that bezel is a great example of that. It does look more stable as well, and that's important.

Thanks for your opinions Gypsy, I appreciate it! I'm leaning in this direction. Would you tweak the design at all? I think the swirls should be located beneath the top (not visible from the top or left or right) for design and to have a band sit flush.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, k! Sorry I missed this when you first posted! I think the JBEG ring would be gorgeous! Can't wait to see what you decide!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kcoursolle|1315952153|3016824 said:

Thanks for your opinions Gypsy, I appreciate it! I'm leaning in this direction. Would you tweak the design at all? I think the swirls should be located beneath the top (not visible from the top or left or right) for design and to have a band sit flush.

I think that's a great modification, and I agree. Maybe if the swirls touched it would be stronger?

Do you like milgrain? If so I might have milgrain on the profile side of the bezel (just visible from the profile facing out).

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
kcoursolle|1315952153|3016824 said:

I think that's a great modification, and I agree. Maybe if the swirls touched it would be stronger?

Do you like milgrain? If so I might have milgrain on the profile side of the bezel (just visible from the profile facing out).

I do like milgrain, although sparingly. I'm hoping that I can see the ring first without and then decide to add it. I love the milgrain around my pendant. It is so subtle and makes the bezel blend in more with the diamond instead of seeing the harsh shine of bezel around the stone. Do you have any pictures of what you are talking about in terms of the milgrain pointing outwards? I'm curious what it looks like. I'm hoping JBEG can also make the bezel super thin, if it's not I don't think I'll like it as much.

pendant.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/prodshots/105CO18.jpg If you look really chose at the basket of this ring you'll see that the bar has milgrian (really super fine milgrain) on the edges of it (and some kind of dots in the center). What I was talking about was just one fine edge of milgrain at the bottom of your bezel (on the profile side) all around. Just a little tiny detail for you.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1315963428|3016983 said:
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/prodshots/105CO18.jpg If you look really chose at the basket of this ring you'll see that the bar has milgrian (really super fine milgrain) on the edges of it (and some kind of dots in the center). What I was talking about was just one fine edge of milgrain at the bottom of your bezel (on the profile side) all around. Just a little tiny detail for you.

Ah, I see! I think milgrain at the very bottom of the bezel on the profile side would be beautiful, what a cool idea. I'll have to think about whether I want the profile side to be sleek or have some detailing.

Do you think it would look okay to have milgrain around the top of te diamond and not any detailing or milgrain on the band? Does anyone have any pictures of what this might look like. All I've found so far are rings with halos.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would be PERFECT.

If you look at real art deco pieces you see that they use milgrain sparingly. To highlight one element, not all over the place like the reproductions do. I think if you had milgrian on the inside of the bezel (like your pendant) there's no reason to have it anywhere else. As for how it would look... I would page StoneCold and ask him if he can mock up for you, maybe?

audball

Ideal_Rock

DSCN0699_0.jpg

Have you looked to see if you have a Vatche retailer near you... you could try on the Caroline. It's a lovely setting.

Really? How does this work? There are many lovely designer settings that I LOVE, but with gold prices, no dealers near me, and settinsg being non refundable, it's hard to shop for them. I'm afraid, based on many other's experience's, that one I love in pictures, will just not look/feel right on me.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I love the Julia ring but I am biased since I have the Astin three stone ring from JbEG which has the Julia profile.

I used to have a halo with a floating profile that I found myself constantly snagging on things like grocery carts, ouch! No such problem with this ring. The swoopy embellishment affords you with a nice open gallery but the point of contact of the side detail prevents snagging/provides a little added security.

The bezels of my ring are shaped differently than the Julia. The Julia has a squared off profile to allow for pave on the sides whereas mine is rounded. I love the milgrain, but if you wanted a more sleek/modern look I think the Julia looks great without it. I imagine milgrain on the Julia would look different than mine due to the difference in bezel shape but I thought I'd attach some pictures for you since you were musing the milgrain vs no milgrain and it has some of the same components from the same designer you are considering. Hope this helps:

Handshot so you can get a sense of real life persepective. My stones had dried water/soap marks in this pic (so ignore the dirty stones) but I thought it showed the ring well.

ak3.jpg

ak1.jpg

ak4.jpg

ak2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
audball|1316021482|3017481 said:

DSCN0699_0.jpg

Really? How does this work? There are many lovely designer settings that I LOVE, but with gold prices, no dealers near me, and settinsg being non refundable, it's hard to shop for them. I'm afraid, based on many other's experience's, that one I love in pictures, will just not look/feel right on me.

Give them a call and ask. :) Be sure to mention you are a Pricescoper.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
pixies|1316027065|3017562 said:
I love the Julia ring but I am biased since I have the Astin three stone ring from JbEG which has the Julia profile.

I used to have a halo with a floating profile that I found myself constantly snagging on things like grocery carts, ouch! No such problem with this ring. The swoopy embellishment affords you with a nice open gallery but the point of contact of the side detail prevents snagging/provides a little added security.

The bezels of my ring are shaped differently than the Julia. The Julia has a squared off profile to allow for pave on the sides whereas mine is rounded. I love the milgrain, but if you wanted a more sleek/modern look I think the Julia looks great without it. I imagine milgrain on the Julia would look different than mine due to the difference in bezel shape but I thought I'd attach some pictures for you since you were musing the milgrain vs no milgrain and it has some of the same components from the same designer you are considering. Hope this helps:

Hi pixies, I am so glad you chimed in!!! I stumbled upon your thread a while ago and I have to say it was one of the main motivations and loves of the julia. Your facets band is great too. Your ring is just stunning and so well-executed! I like that your bezel is thinner relative to the julia and that is one of the modifications I suggested to them. I want a very thin bezel and perhaps milgrain around the edge like yours, although I'd like to see it first without and decide then. I don't love how thick the bezel is on the julia design with diamonds around it, although I do like the squared sides (if much thinner). Gosh your ring is beautiful, I won't complain if you happen to add in more pictures or thoughts about your design ;-) Now that you've had it for a while is there anything you would have done differently or things that may be worth noting about what the ring is like in person? Your thread is also a great reference since your stone and finger size are similar to mine (1.11 and 4.25). The ring gives you fantastic, and still quite elegant finger coverage. You must love that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results