shape
carat
color
clarity

If you couldn't afford or didn't want a diamond e-ring...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...what would you pick instead? I thought this would be fun to hear your ideas.

I would wear a simple gold band in a high karat yellow, 18k or maybe 22k. Possibly with a hammered finish for some interest. Or maybe I'd pick a honking sapphire. You?

Q

Queenie60

Re: If you couldn't afford or didn't want a diamond e-ring..

I would have a simple diamond eternity band.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it was because I didn't want a diamond, I'd have an amazing blue sapphire ring.

If it was a matter of money, there are plenty of pretty and inexpensive rings out there. I'd probably have an aquamarine or a tourmaline. Or, as an example, if we were young and/or didn't have much money for an e-ring at all, I'd be extremely content with this pretty tanzanite ring for approx $480 after 10% discount, with a matching bead-style YG wedding ring to beef it up. I think this ring just goes to show that you don't need to spend a fortune to have a very pretty ring indeed. http://www.bluenile.com/14k-tanzanite-ring-yellow-gold_57013?elem=img&track=product

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I couldn't afford the ring I wanted, I would have the plainest platinum band I could find, which was what I had for 15 years. I'm all or nothing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I already have a simple plain sterling band like this.
I wear it when I don't want to wear my diamond ring.

I love how silver is bright and highly reflective.
Also I love how a design like this (if you wear it often enough) has no place where black tarnish gets a chance to form.
The entire surface is constantly getting 'polished' by friction with your skin.

I have a friend who wears a silver ring 24/7 and it has gotten so highly polished that it's blindingly bright.

screen_shot_2016-01-20_at_9.png

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd go for a YG band too, maybe a vintage one with some engraving on it. I've see a couple of Art Deco style ones, with flower patterns, very pretty!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Probably a plain platinum band.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would go for a thick, 18K gold band in a highly detailed byzantine style. Lots of gold scroll work. I would like it in a florentine/brushed gold finish.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it can still be a diamond ring but not a solitaire then an eternity band.

If it can be a ring with diamonds but not a diamond as the main stone then my sapphire and diamond three stone.

If there can't be any diamonds then the Trinity rolling ring in the widest size.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My engagement ring wasn't terribly expensive and with pre-loved rings available on websites like LT and DB there are some very good options out there!

If I didn't want a traditional diamond engagement ring I'd go for an eternity, though those are typically more than my engagement ring was! Or a heavy 22k gold ring.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would use my chrysoberyl. And it is what I wore as my ering for quite a while until my three stone was completed.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I couldn't afford, I'd probably just use a plain band, or a bunch of stacking bands.
If I didn't want, I think I'd go for a nice sapphire.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay|1453314869|3978647 said:
If it can still be a diamond ring but not a solitaire then an eternity band.

If it can be a ring with diamonds but not a diamond as the main stone then my sapphire and diamond three stone.

If there can't be any diamonds then the Trinity rolling ring in the widest size.

Ooh, a Cartier Trinity (or a Love ring) would be gorgeous!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1453311475|3978621 said:

Also I love how a design like this (if you wear it often enough) has no place where black tarnish gets a chance to form.

I have a friend who wears a silver ring 24/7 and it has gotten so highly polished that it's blindingly bright.

Nice, Kenny, that's a classy band.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619|1453318349|3978676 said:
Nice, Kenny, that's a classy band.

Thanks.
Actually it's nice to not have to be careful or fuss over keeping a diamond clean.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock

If it was because I didn't want a diamond I'd pick up a gorgeous blue or violet sapphire, glowing ruby, or a softly glowing pinkish lavender spinel.

If it was a budget thing I'd probably go with an engraved vintage band.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A stupid big chryso

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

If it was a matter of not wanting a diamond, I would go for ruby.

If cost was a factor, I'd go for a blue sapphire solitaire, or a diamond eternity band.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

Plain platinum band or Cartier trinity.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've always loved the look of a diamond band or eternity with a solid band.

When I was first engaged/married, I would have had yellow gold. I've leaned toward the white metals recently, but am also considering trying to make this look with a rose gold band.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Niel|1453330764|3978789 said:
A stupid big chryso

a girl after my own heart :love:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I didn't want a diamond I would get a lovely emerald
If I couldn't afford a diamond I would go with maybe a diamond band, nothing flashy

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

1) A lovely emerald ring, my #1 choice before diamond.
2) A multiple stone diamond band (ideally 5 stone tapering in size from center out) my #2 choice
3) etoile band (scattered diamond) band

I also wouldn't mind:

5 stone anniversary band, either in diamonds or colored stone
engraved/carved yellow gold band
A 3 stone ring, either sapphire or diamond or combination of both.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A diamond eternity band and if that was not in the budget then a simple platinum band (plain or engraved) about 4-5 mm in width. I would look for a vintage platinum band that fit this criteria.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1453311475|3978621 said:

Kenny, I like silver that is highly polished, too. I like that you wear a silver ring. I think that's unusual on PS. I think I read on PS somewhere that silver is the whitest metal of all, and that that includes the platinum family. I guess people don't think of silver as being so white because it only looks that way when highly polished and most people let their silver items get somewhat dull. But yes, properly polished silver is blinding! And isn't it weird that it doesn't tarnish if you wear it? Including the parts that don't touch your skin. :think:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For financial reasons, I decided no money should be spent on either an engagement ring or a wedding band.

As my 'wedding band', I used a ring which I had worn since I was eleven and had been in my family for decades. I simply moved it from my right hand to my left hand.

Following my divorce, I moved the ring back to my right hand.

I wanted a diamond ring, but I placed a higher priority on more 'practical' choices.

Here I am, many years later, on PS learning about diamonds and admiring all the beautiful diamond rings.

I'm still a practical person, but I'm learning to treat myself from time to time and suspect there'll be a lovely diamond ring (7-stone, perhaps) on my hand at some point.

If asked for advice, I would say if you can't afford something, don't buy it!
If you don't want a diamond ring, don't get one.
If your other half has a different opinion, sit down and discuss it.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Not want a diamond e-ring? Not going to happen here, ever. :lol: I'd have some kind of elaborate pave setting, along the lines of the Daniel K Empress. I already own a big (close to 8mm) RB diamond, a J/K color). It's a European Cut, with a huge table. I might use that diamond, if the SO didn't have objections. I'd also definitely investigate the new diamond simulants along with colored gems, natural or created. I can't say for certain what option I'd use for the center stone, because I would have to actually see the "new technology" stones in person.

What I probably would not be wearing is a plain band. Or anything else that looks like a wedding band. One must save something for marriage. :lol:

katharath

Ideal_Rock

I had a diamond ering but quit wearing it about 4 yrs in; moved to a diamond band but quit wearing that about 3 yrs later - then I finally realized that modern cut plain white diamonds just bore me. (I've since realized that I do enjoy OECs though). I understand why people love diamonds so much, but I just don't share the passion.

I moved into the world of CS and then found something worth getting excited about!! For erings I've gone with mahenge spinel, blue sapphire, and mint garnet. My current is the mahenge. After owning many many CS, I can safely say that those are my three favorite, but I'd also love to do a lavender spinel or lavender sapphire (or one of each!) ering. I have stones set aside to do both, but haven't felt motivated enough to set anything since last fall or so.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

It'd be my pink tourmaline RHR. I LOVE that ring!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock

If lack of desire for a diamond was the motivating factor, I would likely opt for a sapphire or SiC gemstone, depending on if I wanted color or sparkle more.

Should funds be the primary issue in preventing me from getting a diamond engagement ring, more than likely I would opt for an intricate floral type band, or mokume gaine band and call it good for the time being, no ring with a primary center stone until I could afford the one I wanted.

Generally speaking, I do not settle, and have no issue waiting years to acquire what it is I want if need be. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results