shape
carat
color
clarity

If you are carrying a mortgage in your area are you required...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
to purchase flood, earthquake or tornado insurance? We haven't purchased flood insurance since 2004 it is not a requirement in our area now.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not required.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes
prerequisite of mortgage
our town floods
even though we live on a hill back from the river
our contents insurence went up too moving here
earthquakes can happen anywhere in this country

im hoping we are safe from volcanic eruption but our backyard is full of pumice and it didn't come from the river

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, we have to be covered for tornadoes, hail and wind here - not earthquakes. Some area of town are labeled as flood zones and they require extra insurance.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup,a gainst everything.
It's called"higher power " or sth like it.
No insurance = no mortgage

Mind you,there are no earthquakes, tornadoes or floods here (living ON a HILL)..

But I guess the day we are hit by sth unpredictable I'll be grateful. The insurance is not very expensive and worth the peace of mind. Real estate is expensive here - think silicon valley without the exorbitant earnings...so any substantial damage to our home without coverage would put out financial stability at risk.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of the above is required but we do have flood insurance. Despite being on the bay we are not considered to be a flood zone however we do purchase flood insurance. During the Sandy storm 2012 our whole backyard was destroyed. We had flood insurance then too but it did not cover the destruction as flood insurance only covers destruction inside the house. We were relieved the house was intact after the storm and that no water got inside. For us having flood insurance just in case gives me (some) peace of mind. For me that is priceless.

ETA: Adding some backyard photos after Sandy. We were so lucky that it was just our backyard that was destroyed. Our bulkhead saved us. Many others in our area were not so fortunate and lost their houses :(

backyarddestruction.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 7.29.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 7.31.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 7.31.01 AM.png

Backyard now.

backyardsunsetjune2019.png

beachbackyardhazycityview.jpeg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We literally sit on the San Andreas fault. Our house foundation is post tension set concrete and completely strapped at every joist during framing. I am not sure how much that will help us during a really large earthquake, but the house does move as a unit. We do not have earthquake insurance. We may purchase some in the future.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not required.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With my backyard, (I’m on an acre) only the very back of the yard in the woods is considered a “seasonal flood zone” and it is. When I had ducks and geese I couldn’t find them at the lake and it’s because they were in my yard :D

We went about 15 years without flood insurance but finally decided to buy as we had a few years where the water in the back became worrisome. It would have had to go up another 4 feet or so, but we are between a lake and a bayou and the bayou receives water from elsewhere.

Once, the water was at the bridge we have to cross and the ups lady sat there waiting for a car to come by. She gave me all the packages from the neighborhood because she was not about to chance Crossing it.

So we figured we better get it while it’s cheap.

DH’s family and then us never had flood insurance on the New Orleans house, not even after Katrina. But then we decided if the levee had broken the other way, we would have gotten 20 ft, so we also decided to purchase flood insurance for that one too.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. We have none of those risks where I live. We can just do regular insurance.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
40 miles west of Chicago. Tornado, flood and earthquake insurance.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
No requirement for any of them where my home is. Earthquake is a good option though. It used to be really hard to get earthquake insurance, but not so much anymore. We're waiting for a large earthquake in N Ca, I may add insurance soon!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Florida if you buy home owners insurance with or without a mortgage, hurricane insurance is automatically added. You can't remove it off. Flood is separate and subjective and depending on where you live, you'll likely want it down here.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not required but I have earthquake insurance on my SF Bay Area house.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to take out building insurance.

Not at risk of floor or earthquake, however, yes to potential damage by strong winds and flying debris.

DK :))

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our house isn't in a flood plane so we don't have to have flood insurance. We got pretty nervous during Harvey though!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We paid our mortgages but we were not required to purchase flood insurance. Despite being on the water because we’re not in a flood zone. However we have always purchased flood insurance just in case. It’s affordable so being on the water we felt it prudent.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don’t have to have any of that which is interesting since we aren’t far from a river but we aren’t in a flood plain.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in uber politically-correct Los Angeles County where it is mandatory we buy liability insurance indemnifying us against uttering any language or expressing any mannerism, including eye-rolling, that any of the county's (or indeed earth's 7.8 billion humans) could claim triggers her/him to become upset, annoyed, displeased, or just a smidge less euphoric than they've been told they are entitled to be.

Snowflake insurance premiums have gone through the roof lately since almost everyone has learned, from lawyers' ads, that being a sensitive snowflake can be so lucrative.

Fortunately my insurance carrier offers a duct tape discount.
If I install their approved duct tape to entirely seal my gob before leaving my home I qualify a 0.000000000000000001% discount to my monthly premium.
Sure, that's a tiny percentage, but since there are so many sensitive snowflakes winning triggering lawsuits now my monthly premiums are now in the millions of dollars.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
N. IL tornadoes, hail and wind are required and if your in a 100 year flood zone or higher risk then flood insurance is required.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
not required here and I dont carry any of it

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Buildings insurance is mandatory if you want a mortgage and I suppose since the insurance co. know where the house is, they'll add on all the necessary risks, so I guess folks have no choice not to insure.

@kenny the world has gone so mad I'm not sure whether you're joking or not!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I install their approved duct tape to entirely seal my gob before leaving my home I qualify a 0.000000000000000001% discount to my monthly premium.
Sure, that's a tiny percentage, but since there are so many sensitive snowflakes winning triggering lawsuits now my monthly premiums are now in the millions of dollars.
Cancel your insurance for one month and buy a 10ct D FL Octavia... :clap:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I live in uber politically-correct Los Angeles County where it is mandatory we buy liability insurance indemnifying us against uttering any language or expressing any mannerism, including eye-rolling, that any of the county's (or indeed earth's 7.8 billion humans) could claim triggers her/him to become upset, annoyed, displeased, or just a smidge less euphoric than they've been told they are entitled to be.

Snowflake insurance premiums have gone through the roof lately since almost everyone has learned, from lawyers' ads, that being a sensitive snowflake can be so lucrative.

I'm not sure what you mean. I live in LA County as well and our insurance isn't that high. Quick search shows CA is second lowest in the Country? We even have an Umbrella Policy with much more coverage since we have assets we'd like to protect. But that's in case of an accident or something, not because I Insulted a person, and it's definitely not mandatory.

https://www.insurance.com/california-homeowners-insurance

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Not required. We do have a ridiculous amount of regular insurance over-coverage because they won't insure it as they would a newer build and will only insure as an exact antique replacement.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure what you mean. I live in LA County as well and our insurance isn't that high. Quick search shows CA is second lowest in the Country? We even have an Umbrella Policy with much more coverage since we have assets we'd like to protect. But that's in case of an accident or something, not because I Insulted a person, and it's definitely not mandatory.

https://www.insurance.com/california-homeowners-insurance

Sorry, I was joking.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I was joking.

You've made a lot of comments about entitled triggered snowflakes ruining everything during the past few months. I can't tell when you're joking anymore. (the millions in premiums is obviously a joke) I wouldn't be surprised if someone here accepted it as fact and spread it around social media about the horrible living conditions we suffer through here in LA...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results