shape
carat
color
clarity

If I graduated with a Doctoral Degree but not from a medical field ...

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I have a doctorate and I use Dr. outside of academia too because then people aren't calling me Mrs., which I dislike (both when I was not married and now that I'm married). I'm fine with Ms. if someone wants to use that, but I earned the Dr. and prefer that title to Mrs.

That said, this goes for public interactions or things like that - it isn't like I'm asking kids to call me Dr. (then I like Miss Firstname as a nod to being a little less formal) or my friends or anything. Mrs. Mylastname is my mom (actually, even she is Dr., since she got her PhD just a bit after I got mine!).

icekid

Ideal_Rock
If the person preferred it, then sure (altho I might think he/she a bit pompous) as to M.D. doctor it's the same, if they preferred it, but I make it a POINT to call all my physicians by their first names, kind of equals us up. :) (of course I do this now that I am older and am not in awe of PhDs or MDs)

I do not call my patients by their first name and do not allow them to use mine. My first name is doctor ;-)

In a hospital setting, ONLY physicians (MD, DO, MBBS) should be introduced as Doctor. To do otherwise is intentionally deceptive.

Some additional food for thought:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/12/my-view-my-first-name-its-pronounced-doctor/

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it is at work I say Dr. (I work with both MDs and PHDs). I work in a hospital and do not think it is intentionally deceptive if that is their level of schooling/area of practice. Socially, I do not formally address them has doctors (MDs or PHDs).

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YOU can address your patients however YOU want. I WILL ADDRESS MY PHYSICIAN the way I want. Your first name is whatever your parents gave you, your professional title is Dr. I do not buy nor do I care what ANY physician thinks of me, a physician is a not god (atho god knows I've met enough in my going on 70 yrs who thought they were, or worse the idiots I knew who went into for the money). YOU can address your patients however YOU want. I WILL ADDRESS MY PHYSICIAN the way I want. Your first name is whatever your parents gave you, your professional title is Dr. I do not buy nor do I care what ANY physician thinks of me, a physician is a not god (atho god knows I've met enough in my going on 70 yrs who thought they were, or worse the idiots I knew who went to medical school for the money).

It's good you don't address your patients by their first name, because YOU are supplying a needed service to them, of which they pay either with insurance, or hope, or medicare etc.

I am a firm believer in manners but I am also a firm believer in equality. I bow to no one (as I said except my mom who died in 00).

I do not call my patients by their first name and do not allow them to use mine. My first name is doctor ;-)

In a hospital setting, ONLY physicians (MD, DO, MBBS) should be introduced as Doctor. To do otherwise is intentionally deceptive.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Not sorry, medicine is absolutely not a service industry. You are flat wrong. This has absolutely nothing to do with equality.

Using someone's given name in a formal setting without being invited to do so is where manners are lacking.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
If it is at work I say Dr. (I work with both MDs and PHDs). I work in a hospital and do not think it is intentionally deceptive if that is their level of schooling/area of practice. Socially, I do not formally address them has doctors (MDs or PHDs).

I absolutely disagree. There is truth in advertising legislation pending in many states regarding this issue. In a hospital, DOCTOR implies a level of training and expertise. It is unfair to patients who do not fully understand these multiple degrees fully to imply you are something you are not.

In academia, absolutely those with PhDs go by Dr. Biology professor.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I absolutely disagree. There is truth in advertising legislation pending in many states regarding this issue. In a hospital, DOCTOR implies a level of training and expertise. It is unfair to patients who do not fully understand these multiple degrees fully to imply you are something you are not.

My hospital employs psychologists. They go by Dr Lastname. That us how they are addressed by patients and what it says on their whit coat. How is that untruthful?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sorry, medicine is absolutely not a service industry. You are flat wrong. This has absolutely nothing to do with equality.

Using someone's given name in a formal setting without being invited to do so is where manners are lacking.
i tend to agree with you
we recently had to go to A&E and after going through 2 nurses the doctor introduced herself my her first name as well and we thought she was also a nurse
no disrespect to nurses intended
i was also a bit off put by the anesthesiologist introducing himself my his first name
also in the last years of my mother's life she was in hospital care at an agged facility
i just don't think she would have liked being called by her first name if she had still had her marbles

for the record and i don't have a doctorite and i am not married so don't call me Mrs as that's my mother
there isnt always a Ms option on forms

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does it have to be black or white? Is there no room for people to differ in their approach to how they view the world?

"Quakers believe that both sexes are spiritual equals, and both men and women have the authority to speak in worship meetings. Friends do not take their hats off to others or bow to anyone else, and they do not use titles such as Mr., Mrs., Dr., Sir, etc. Instead, they call everyone by simply their first and last name, believing that in the eyes of God there is no hierarchy among people. This belief is not practices out of rebellion against authority; rather, it is intended to discourage human pretentiousness and egoism. Modern-day Quakers are not as rigid about these customs as they were in years past, but each individual person can decide which custom they choose to follow, based on their conscience and individual beliefs."

AGBF

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We used to make fun of a colleague who used "Dr. (X) PhD" on everything. We called him "Dr. Doctor" behind his back.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can think whatever you want, but the physican supplies a service (medical) and I'm the buyer of that service. Physicians are NOT above me or you (because I have often read once a physician becomes the patient it becomes much clearer). Sorry but I will find the cheapest and best provider, a board certified person hat falls under my insurance plan, AND many insurance plans make you go to their 'approved physicians or dentists etc'. It's all economics.. yes doctors, nurses, EMTs, NPs, LPNs, CN's, care about the health of the patient - and they are renumerated by their educational level and how much it costs to pay insurance in case of a mistake. But there is no fantasy land, life is economics. Thus spoke me with a degree in Business Administration and mucho training in programming.

Manners? are you joking? I'm not in her/his office for a social visit, Hi Jim, my knee is very painful, what do you think? Jim is a GP, so Jim send me to Susan, she's a Sports Doc (because in this group you don't get sent to an orthoped you have to go to Susan the sports doc and she sends you to xray Bill who then sends me back to Sue who looks at the xray and then sends me to Elizabeth the orthopedic surgeon, I am not at any of these appts for a social visit, I'm in pain, worry, and worry about how to pay for all this etc).. Manners? You are talking about social situations, I am talking a scheduled visit, the world has changed @icekid we all in this together, we are not in a caste system in the USA, I have met CEOs of companies and called one guy Johnny, that's who I am.

I think every physician should have their record on line, how many times they have been sued, how many times they lost, ffraudulent suits, how many people have complained about them, how many people have given a plus to the physician's abiity, like YELP for doctors with the state licensing board info attached. Why should I go to a physican who isn't in the top of their class at Harvard? (not that I really care because most of my physicians HAVE gone to Harvard and they aren't any better or maybe even worse than the ones that I had in Texas). Being a physician does not elevate a person to higher status, being a better person, being wiser, it does mean they have studied long and hard and they should know what they are doing and talking about and it's GREAT if they are pleasant, kind and caring, but that isn't my need, I want a physician who knows what they are doing, knows where to send me when they can't help me and isn't in medicine for ego or money.

So, I totally disagree with you, ANY physician in my family or whom I go to has told me they steered their kids away from medicine. Why is that? Long hours, stress, ?? poor pay? college loans? all and none of those reasons. My SIL said she hoped her kids would spend more time with their kids. My GP only works 4 days a week, so if I'm sick on a Monday she isn't there, that sucks for me, but it is fine for her, and I'm sad for me and glad for her, but next time I am going to find a physician who doesn't have young kids for my health issues, it's all about service and CHOICE.

@icekid enjoy your life, patients come and go, I vote with my dollars and my feet, that's life.

here's a little ditty from 16. https://www.beckershospitalreview.c...e-the-supply-demand-scales-in-healthcare.html

There is a lack of physicians in training BUT I also think medical school should be free, a person who is training to be a health care worker should not have to come out of residencey owing 300K.

here's another one and I've read this before, there's a plethora of derms and surgeons, but no one wants to be on call.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK215247/

YOU can address your patients however YOU want. I WILL ADDRESS MY PHYSICIAN the way I want. Your first name is whatever your parents gave you, your professional title is Dr. I do not buy nor do I care what ANY physician thinks of me, a physician is a not god (atho god knows I've met enough in my going on 70 yrs who thought they were, or worse the idiots I knew who went into for the money). YOU can address your patients however YOU want. I WILL ADDRESS MY PHYSICIAN the way I want. Your first name is whatever your parents gave you, your professional title is Dr. I do not buy nor do I care what ANY physician thinks of me, a physician is a not god (atho god knows I've met enough in my going on 70 yrs who thought they were, or worse the idiots I knew who went to medical school for the money).

It's good you don't address your patients by their first name, because YOU are supplying a needed service to them, of which they pay either with insurance, or hope, or medicare etc.

I am a firm believer in manners but I am also a firm believer in equality. I bow to no one (as I said except my mom who died in 00).

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You do know that assuming a woman is a nurse is sexist?
Doctors are not just men and in the United States of America there are more women in medical school than me.
Why were you put off by the anesth. introducing him/herself by their first name?
My mother Im sure! would not have liked that anyone call her anything but Mrs. but you know I thought my mom was haughty and very old school and I rarely if EVER hear a woman say "I'm Mrs John Smith". My mom had all her marbles till a few days b4 she died. I just wish she never smoked personally.

info:

https://news.aamc.org/press-releases/article/applicant-data-2018/
https://news.aamc.org/press-releases/article/applicant-enrollment-2017/

here's a breakdown of male vs female physican specialies.

https://www.ama-assn.org/residents-...al-specialties-have-biggest-gender-imbalances

My GP is a woman, My sports doc is a woman, my ortho was a guy, my derm was a woman, my gyno was a man till menopause then I just go to the GP for check up, my ID doc is a woman, my OS is a man, my dentist is a woman soon to be a guy as she dentist is leavng for motherhood.. I don't think anyone can assume a woman is a nurse and a many is a physician. When I was having my first hip replacement my nurses were all guys, all of them. Life today.. Remember when tellers in banks were only women? now there are more men at my bank. Times change, people try not to.

i tend to agree with you
we recently had to go to A&E and after going through 2 nurses the doctor introduced herself my her first name as well and we thought she was also a nurse
no disrespect to nurses intended
i was also a bit off put by the anesthesiologist introducing himself my his first name
also in the last years of my mother's life she was in hospital care at an agged facility
i just don't think she would have liked being called by her first name if she had still had her marbles

for the record and i don't have a doctorite and i am not married so don't call me Mrs as that's my mother
there isnt always a Ms option on forms

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icekid some pointers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2842547/
https://blogs.jwatch.org/frontlines-clinical-medicine/2016/09/14/service-industry/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_industry

icekid

Ideal_Rock
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And they say millennials are entitled! DAMN!

Bless your heart! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You do know that assuming a woman is a nurse is sexist?
Doctors are not just men and in the United States of America there are more women in medical school than me.
Why were you put off by the anesth. introducing him/herself by their first name?
My mother Im sure! would not have liked that anyone call her anything but Mrs. but you know I thought my mom was haughty and very old school and I rarely if EVER hear a woman say "I'm Mrs John Smith". My mom had all her marbles till a few days b4 she died. I just wish she never smoked personally.

info:

https://news.aamc.org/press-releases/article/applicant-data-2018/
https://news.aamc.org/press-releases/article/applicant-enrollment-2017/

here's a breakdown of male vs female physican specialies.

https://www.ama-assn.org/residents-...al-specialties-have-biggest-gender-imbalances

My GP is a woman, My sports doc is a woman, my ortho was a guy, my derm was a woman, my gyno was a man till menopause then I just go to the GP for check up, my ID doc is a woman, my OS is a man, my dentist is a woman soon to be a guy as she dentist is leavng for motherhood.. I don't think anyone can assume a woman is a nurse and a many is a physician. When I was having my first hip replacement my nurses were all guys, all of them. Life today.. Remember when tellers in banks were only women? now there are more men at my bank. Times change, people try not to.
my GP is a woman
and the GP we had before her was a woman
that's 20 years of woman doctors
its just that the last 2 nurses used their first names like the doctor
sexism has zero to do with it in this case
btw the vets a woman too
im in New Zealand- the first country in the world to give NZ the vote
we are on our 3rd woman prime minister and maybe our 3rd woman governer general

im really sorry your mum died from smoking
the real crime is cigarette companies targeted woman of her generation and made it look sexy just like they now target people in developing nations
your mum was fortunate to have all her marbles till the end
my dad was a life long smoker and died at 53 - also with all his marbles

Last edited:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Ph.D. is a doctorate, and the professional title of Dr. is appropriate in professional settings. It is absolutely appropriate for psychologists to use the title when introducing themselves to patients, as it conveys their degree and level of expertise. It is also appropriate for academics to use the title in academic settings. None are attempting to impersonate medical doctors, they are simply using their professional title (which was actually the original doctoral degree conveyed by universities). “MD” is the title that was developed for medical doctors (which in North America is a bachelors level degree, as is a law degree unless the person goes on to get a Masters of law or a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree). In hospital settings with multiple types of treatment providers, most people introduce themselves by title and by position. E.g., hello, I’m Dr. X, the (psychologist/psychiatrist/anesthesiologist/consulting pharmacist/surgeon/or other type of doctor). It’s so people know who they are and what they are there to do.

Most people do not use their professional titles in social settings. It’s pompous and unnecessary. And it opens the door for awkward conversations....

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is not actually true. Psychologists are allowed by law to use the title Dr. in every single state in the US and in every province in Canada. It is their accurate professional title and they fall under a legally protected practice act. Doctor does imply a level of training and expertise. Psychologists have DOCTORATES in psychology. As a side note, Chiropractors and Optometrists are also allowed to use the term Dr. as they also have professional degrees more in keeping with medical degrees (albeit with significantly fewer years of training) that the both the state and provincial governments in the US and Canada have recognized as doctoral degrees in their chosen field. No one is implying they are anything they are not. Psychologists (and all other doctoral level non-MD health care providers) are required to be very clear who they are and what their training is in. If they do not (which I have only seen here among chiropractors, and never among psychologists, pharmacists, optometrists, or other doctoral level practitioners), it is a license stripping offense. The law that you are talking about never made it past the post here, as it was seen as unnecessary, and from what I gather, it has very little chance of passing anywhere else either for the same reasons.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sexism is assuming that a woman is a nurse. Since you have many internists who are women I'm surprised you did, but as I said it's sexism. the the orginal woman here who posted made a point that women deserve equal respect and should be called DOCTOR, making women physicians equal to men, while I agree with her point that women should be equal, for me, everybody is my equal and let's all start out on the same foot.

Thanks about my mom, let me just say that also my brother and sister and aunt all died of smoking related disease, I quit 31 years ago, but who knows I did smoke for 20 years and heavily.

My vets are mostly women too.

And yes the people of Great Britain should be very proud that they have been able to elect women PMs, I think it's great and hope maybe in 2020 we in the USA can do the same, but I have my doubts. Yup the NZ lady even had a baby in office. Germany has Angela Merkel, I think Ireland has a woman PM ? maybe it's Scotland? don't remember exatly, women are and have been making strides, and continue to do so. I support Elizabeth Warren right now as my candidate, but Trump may be too hard to beat. hope not.

my GP is a woman
and the GP we had before her was a woman
that's 20 years of woman doctors
its just that the last 2 nurses used their first names like the doctor
sexism has zero to do with it in this case
btw the vets a woman too
im in New Zealand- the first country in the world to give NZ the vote
we are on our 3rd woman prime minister and maybe our 3rd woman governer general

im really sorry your mum died from smoking
the real crime is cigarette companies targeted woman of her generation and made it look sexy just like they now target people in developing nations
your mum was fortunate to have all her marbles till the end
my dad was a life long smoker and died at 53 - also with all his marbles

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
When my dad was a resident he had to collect money for something. He and my mom took note of who had “Dr.” on their checks and who didn’t. My dad decided he never wanted to be the kind who did. He loves his job but he doesn’t think his education or profession puts him above anyone else. I have never heard him introduce himself as Dr. Lastname.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to use the titles of medical doctors, dentists, and veterinarians. It costs me nothing and and offers the person to whom I am speaking respect. I love it when a doctor introduces himself by his first and last names, but that does not mean that I use it when I address him or her. Frankly, I think that introducing oneself by one's name is good manners.

I have struggled with calling my veterinarian "Dr. Smith", as I have for years, when she has became so close to me now. She has been our doctor for years. I think half the time she is "Meredith" and half the time she is "Dr. Smith". She has treated two of my dogs and we have lived through so much of each others' lives...and she always uses her first name with me. (She is also 20 years younger.) But I truly appreciate doctors' not being pompous and arrogant with me. And some still are.The notion of one's first name being doctor is, in my opinion, a continuation of the old "doctor is always right" myth. In my opinion, that attitude is impolite and condescending.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my dad was a resident he had to collect money for something. He and my mom took note of who had “Dr.” on their checks and who didn’t. My dad decided he never wanted to be the kind who did. He loves his job but he doesn’t think his education or profession puts him above anyone else. I have never heard him introduce himself as Dr. Lastname.

Thank you posting this @Tacori E-ring .

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Just curious do you object to Doc?
That is what I call my doctors and none seem to care.
Since I can not remember names well at all it works out pretty good,.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Naw not really but I guess I think i'm too old to be saying that

Just curious do you object to Doc?
That is what I call my doctors and none seem to care.
Since I can not remember names well at all it works out pretty good,.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure they say millenials are entitled, they say physicans are arrogant and out for the money, they say brain surgeons are nuts and egotistical (now I did hear this one 2x from neuro-surgeons spouses and I read it in a book about neurosurgery). They say slackers are lazy, they say that boomers are the 'love generation' the 'me generation' they say the silent generation is 'tech challenged' 'quiet' 'hardworking' and they say the greatest generation was the 'greatest'.

I'm no condescending person, I'm a realist, I'm honest and a hard worker, I have been quiet in life and I have been loud when need be, I've stood for what I believe in, I vote and always have voted, I paid my way thru college and I left home at 17, I was a part of the 'me generation' but for me it was working because I came from a blue collar home with no dinero (cause boomers come from big families right? right. So if we just stereotype everyone @icekid we all have good and bad.. and I try NEVER to be haughty or arrogant ya know? DANG!

And bless your little heart too.

And they say millennials are entitled! DAMN!

Bless your heart! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As an Audiologist in New Jersey, I'd like to chime in and say that post Bachelor's degree, Audiology programs are four year programs. Optometry programs are also four years post Bachelor's degree. I worked in a hospital for 18 years, during which eleven of those I used the title Doctor as mandated by my department head. Staff referred to us as Dr. So and So when speaking with patients. In front of patients, they addressed us as Doctor, when no patients were around, we went by first names. I introduce myself to my patients as "Hi, I'm Dr. M S and I'm the Audiologist who will be working with you". My last name is Polish and seems to overwhelm people when they glance at it and try to say it, so often times they settle on Dr. M.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an Audiologist in New Jersey, I'd like to chime in and say that post Bachelor's degree, Audiology programs are four year programs. Optometry programs are also four years post Bachelor's degree. I worked in a hospital for 18 years, during which eleven of those I used the title Doctor as mandated by my department head. Staff referred to us as Dr. So and So when speaking with patients. In front of patients, they addressed us as Doctor, when no patients were around, we went by first names. I introduce myself to my patients as "Hi, I'm Dr. M S and I'm the Audiologist who will be working with you". My last name is Polish and seems to overwhelm people when they glance at it and try to say it, so often times they settle on Dr. M.

At the ENTs' office where we took my father at the end of his life, the MDs were called Dr and last name. The audiologists were called Dr. and first name. I always thought it was demeaning to the audiologists to be treated as if they were second tier "doctors". I felt that either they were doctors (as people have argued that only certain professions are in medical settings) or they were not. When I started to read this thread I thought that perhaps I had stumbled upon an answer: the ENT practice was located in a building administered by a hospital. If hospitals try to make sure that only certain classifications of medical doctors use the title, "doctor" in a hospital this might be about patient protection. In a hospital, not all "doctors" should be doing all things to patients.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the ENTs' office where we took my father at the end of his life, the MDs were called Dr and last name. The audiologists were called Dr. and first name. I always thought it was demeaning to the audiologists to be treated as if they were second tier "doctors". I felt that either they were doctors (as people have argued that only certain professions are in medical settings) or they were not. When I started to read this thread I thought that perhaps I had stumbled upon an answer: the ENT practice was located in a building administered by a hospital. If hospitals try to make sure that only certain classifications of medical doctors use the title, "doctor" in a hospital this might be about patient protection. In a hospital, not all "doctors" should be doing all things to patients.

Hospitals are actually not allowed to regulate the use of the title doctor or the use of any specific professional terms such as physician, psychologist, audiologist, dentist, and the like, as these are all titles that are regulated by state and provincial law across North America. Only those who are registered with their relevant State Board of Examiners or the College of Physicians and Surgeons are allowed to use a professional title such as Psychologist, Audiologist, Physician, Dentist, or Pharmacist, and only someone who has completed an MD, a Ph.D., or a doctoral level professional training program (like dentists, optometrists, audiologists, and the like) are allowed to use the term doctor. Again, this is regulated by law, not by the individual hospitals or academic settings or clinics (or by the AMA).

Anyone who is legally entitled to use the title "doctor" in practice based on these laws (audiologists, psychologists, dentists, doctoral level pharmacy consultants, and anyone else at the doctoral level who may be practicing in a hospital setting) is allowed (and usually encouraged) to use their formal title of doctor within the hospital setting. It's about giving the patient comfort in knowing who you are and why you are interacting with them and confidence in your ability (based on education and training) to treat them. What is about patient protection is being clear what kind of doctor you are. So the MD's introduce themselves as to what medical specialty they represent (as in "hello, I am Dr. X., from orthopedic surgery"), and the allied health practitioners introduce themselves according to area of practice (as in "hello, I am Dr. Y., the consulting pharmacist on staff"). It's not just a formality. It's also about obtaining informed consent, as the next breath is usually a discussion about what you are there to do and why. And the different specialties all work together collaboratively and stay in their lanes. No non-medical doctor would be doing anything they shouldn't be or they would be facing both criminal charges and the removal of their license to practice. And no MD would be practicing dentistry, audiology, or psychology, or even practicing outside of their scope of expertise within the field of medicine (for example, family doctors don't perform cardiothoracic surgery), or they too would be facing charges and disciplined by the College of Physicians and Surgeons. What patients don't understand is how regulated each of the medical and allied health professions are in terms of what they can and cannot do, what acts they can and cannot perform, what diagnoses they can and cannot make, and what treatments they can and cannot provide. There are layers and layers of protections built in and none of it has anything to do with the title of doctor. Now some specialties (like pediatrics) have cultures in which it is more common to use the title Dr. and a first name rather than a last name (because kids are more comfortable with this). This isn't common in others (like surgery). But that's convention, not law.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only people who ever call me doctor are/were my patients. I always introduce myself first name last name in any other situation. And I prefer when adult people call me by my first name in social and other non professional situations.

I have friends who use the doctor title when making appointments and such but I never do that. To me it feels pretentious in a way but I get why they do it. They feel they get better service when using the doctor title. And maybe they do but it's not something I feel comfortable with. I worked hard for my degrees (4 years post college plus a year plus residency) but other than professional life I prefer being called by my first name no title and that includes Ms/Mrs/Dr.

FWIW I used to work in a hospital and everyone called me doctor last name. As @cmd2014 writes it is important for patients to know who we are and it is also comforting to them to know we are professionals who can help them as experts in our field. Which is what the title doctor conveys. And yes there are strict laws governing what we can and cannot do in each health field profession. Built in safety for patients. Remember first "do no harm" and hopefully leave each person a little better (or a lot better) health wise than when we first encountered them.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Accademically Dr. is the lowest rung of the lader. It doesnt really command much respect as the default is that everyone is a Dr. I would be torn between sincerely impressed and shocked/worried if I found out someone wasn't a Dr. This would kick off a long string of questions to try to work out which side of that gulf was most appropriate (also it is not possible here to offer a job to anyone without a PhD -- like I said it is the lowest entry rung to get your foot in the door -- but we'd immediately be looking for a way to retain anyone who was bright enough to self learn. I have yet to see it happen though.). So in my expiance no one uses the term (for good reason).

I also double take on any email calling me Dr (or anything else) as I am immediately suspicious that the person is not a profesional colleague and certainly doesn't know me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results