shape
carat
color
clarity

I just arranged for an upgrade to my centre stone...

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
and now I am in a panic at the amoung of money I have spent on myself. It is a gorgeous stone and it is replacing one that had inclusions that bugged me. I have wanted to upgrade for a while and now that I have I am having second thoughts. I am not having concerns about the stone, it is gorgeous and so sparkly like it is lit from within - the jeweller said it is a "10 tabler" meaning it can be seen from 10 tables away :lol: .

I have been wrestling with cancelling the whole thing. How do others who have upgraded justified it to themselves?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
:appl: Now don't hold out on us, what are the deets?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time I buy jewelry I have second thoughts and, if I change my mind, I think about the one that got away! Enjoy your new stone!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've found that while I might quaver prior to purchase, if it's something I REALLY love ... I never look back. Second thoughts are usually a warning sign for me that I'm compromising on something.

I'm planning for an upgrade in the fall, and I know where you're coming from - it's a scary thing, to double, triple, or quadruple the amount of money you've spent in the past! I'm sort of justifying it by taking half a year to find The Perfect Thing. It sounds like you did the same, and came up with a winner - I second the call for deets!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are not a necessity so therein lies the struggle in spending money on them. However, to most of us, they bring unending pleasure. Gotta pay for your pleasures! I'm assuming that when you first decided to do this, you knew where the money was coming from and it didn't mean that someone in your house wasn't going to eat - ha! Money still coming from the same place - you're just feeling a bit guilty now.

Don't - as long as you can reasonably afford a new stone go for it! No guarantees on tomorrow for any of us so as long it's not breaking the bank go for it and enjoy it!!

We do need details on the new stone though!

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
What I can remember of the stats are these, .90 SI1 eye clean, very good cut, E colour (better than I had been looking for), excellent symmetry and polish, no culet, no flourescence.

I am just freaked out at spending that kind of money on me and on something that isn't related to home renovations (what I usually am saving up for).

I have to say the gorgeousness of tis stone may lead me to "need" to change the side stones so this isn't the end of the spending.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I concur with everyone else. You should definitely enjoy it. I'm sure when you see your new ring, you'll never think twice about it again. It's your enjoyment and if it continues to make you happy then it's 100% worth it.

Now I'll tell you something you SHOULD feel guilty for... where are the pictures?!?!? And details!!!

C'mon Scorpio, you can't hold out on us! Show and tell!!!!

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the support, I don't have the ring yet so I can't post pics as it is being sent out to be set and the certificate is with it (it is GIA certified totally unlike the stone it is replacing). Another point is the side stones are F or G in colour and I sure hope they look good with the E.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I'm planning for an upgrade, too! I'll be able to justify the purchase and feel guilt-free because I don't spend much money on anything else... I'm not into expensive cars, clothes, bags, or shoes, and I'm not interested in accumulating a lot of jewelry, either. The only item on my wish list is an upgraded e-ring. After that, I'd like to buy a stone to match my original e-ring diamond to make a pair of studs. Then, I'm done!

Enjoy your new diamond! It sounds beautiful!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I totally freaked out when I first got my e-ring about how much we spent on it and want to find a cheaper one or return it, my SO kept telling me it's ok and keep it etc... now I love it and didn't regret spending the money on it (especially with the diamond price going up like crazy)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I think there is always a bit of buyers remorse or at least buyers questioning when you spend that kind of money (certainly happened the night we put an offer on our house!), but once you put it on your finger you will be so excited!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I felt the same way. And in my case I can't afford the 2million it would cost to get a 1.5ct vivid pink to put all doubts to rest :D

I'm sure if you sleep on it you will feel so much better about the whole thing.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
TristanC|1311914544|2979545 said:
I felt the same way. And in my case I can't afford the 2million it would cost to get a 1.5ct vivid pink to put all doubts to rest :D

I'm sure if you sleep on it you will feel so much better about the whole thing.

TristanC - I did just that, I slept on it and today I feel much less doubt. I never doubted the stone, I doubted spending that kind of money on myself. and no, we won't go hungry as a result of the purchase as I have been saving for this.
Thanks everyone for the enabling :bigsmile:

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Scorpioanne|1311904137|2979426 said:
Thanks for the support, I don't have the ring yet so I can't post pics as it is being sent out to be set and the certificate is with it (it is GIA certified totally unlike the stone it is replacing). Another point is the side stones are F or G in colour and I sure hope they look good with the E.

I have an E center stone and I wear it next to an eternity band made with 10 pointers that are F-G. It looks great. No worries. As long as it is all cut well you shouldn't worry about melee stones IMO.

When I had the ering made I had the same worry so I paid to upgrade the stones in my halo so they would match my center stone. Now that I have my eternity with it, I dont think it was necessary.

Congrats on the upgrade. Enjoy and wear it in good health. Life is too short to not enjoy SPENDING your money on things that make you happy (from time to time). You cant take it with you so enjoy it now :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Girl you are singing my tune ;)) I upgraded a few times between 2008 and 2010 to get to the size diamond I have now, which will be my forever stone. It was a lot of money and I still feel guilty about it. My consolation is that it would cost me about 50% more to buy my diamond today than it did one year ago. Had I waited, I would not have upgraded. So I saved us money and have a diamond that is much more valuable than what we spent 8) I feel good about that. But the guilt remains.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results