shape
carat
color
clarity

I guess “vacation” starts now...

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After 18-1/2 years of being a SAHM raising five kids, I went back to work. I started my new job August of last year and really enjoyed it. I didn’t miss a day of work, and only took 5 days off (3 of which were bereavement leave). Also, I had not received any write ups or had any major issues/conflicts. The overall feedback I received from my superiors was positive.

Yesterday, I got laid off. Even my immediate boss was shocked. (Ironically, today is her last day as she is moving out of state. This leaves her replacement, who has been on the job for three days, to take over all office duties... alone.) Apparently my entire position had been terminated as it will be moved to the corporate HQ 4 hours away. I had about five minutes to gather my things, log off my computer, turn in my key, and leave. No goodbyes to my coworkers. No responses to the potential patients I had been working with, and no tying up loose ends.

So, I guess, here’s to a twist in the road and the possibilities ahead. And to an unexpected “vacation” from work.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so sorry @ohsomethingshiny. Sending you comforting thoughts and gentle hugs. Wishing you all the best moving forward and a bright and exciting future.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so sorry @ohsomethingshiny. Sending you comforting thoughts and gentle hugs. Wishing you all the best moving forward and a bright and exciting future.
Thank you!

My husband wants me to go through the GIA graduate gemologist course so I can put my passion and increasing knowledge to use. :lol: I am considering his advice.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

My husband wants me to go through the GIA graduate gemologist course so I can put my passion and increasing knowledge to use. :lol: I am considering his advice.

YES!!!! That is the way to make lemonade out of lemons. So much that happens in life is unfair and upsetting and you will come out of this stronger and happier. I just know it. Choose something you have a passion for that you love doing and voila. Success and happiness.:appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry. The lack of notice sounds so cruel but I guess they worry about an upset worker sabotaging things before they leave. I hope you are
able to find something soon...enjoy your unintended vacayo_O. Please dont take the layoff personally. Sounds like it really wasnt anything related to you.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry. The lack of notice sounds so cruel but I guess they worry about an upset worker sabotaging things before they leave. I hope you are
able to find something soon...enjoy your unintended vacayo_O. Please dont take the layoff personally. Sounds like it really wasnt anything related to you.

Thank you for this. I was a bit all over the place yesterday. But mainly out of shock. The boss that terminated me kept saying she really regretted having to do it and that she would be happy to write me a letter of recommendation or whatever I needed. I took that as a good sign.

I think it’s just hard, being laid off for the first time. The last job I had (19-1/2 years ago) was as a U.S. Army soldier. So job security was pretty good, if you weren’t a dirtbag. :lol:

Anyone been through the GIA courses recently? ;)2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your service OSS! You should get your boss to write you a letter of reference just in case needed in the future (since she offered).

I definitely agree the shock of being laid off would be quite unsettling. Just keep reminding yourself it was a company restructuring decision.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel for you, particularly due to the unexpectedness and forced quick departure; it can be difficult to even process what has happened.

If you haven't already done so, file for state unemployment asap.

And, do take up that offer for a letter of recommendation and ask that she send it to you - this way you will know what she will be telling prospective employers who may be calling her in the future.

Good luck.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel for you, particularly due to the unexpectedness and forced quick departure; it can be difficult to even process what has happened.

If you haven't already done so, file for state unemployment asap.

And, do take up that offer for a letter of recommendation and ask that she send it to you - this way you will know what she will be telling prospective employers who may be calling her in the future.

Good luck.
I am looking in to this. So far, I’m not sure I’m eligible as I worked IN four quarters out of the last five (per my state’s requirement), but was terminated just shy of completing my fourth quarter. (First day was 08/28 and termination was 08/01.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

You know, I've thought about doing this too! I have also been a SAHM for the better part of 12 years. I recently just started making custom cakes again (I did that when the kids were little.) Do you have a skill set where you could do something on the side?

Orrrr.... just do the GIA course and play with diamonds all day! :love:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry @ohsomethingshiny the unexpected nature of it is a double shock for you. Do take up the offer of the letter of recommendation, you were obviously very well thought of, which will stand you in good stead for future employment.

Good luck in your job search.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
@ohsomethingshiny I'm so sorry. :cry: I would be bothered too by the abrupt ending, it can't feel good to only have a few minutes to clean out and vacate the premises.

I agree to get a recommendation letter now. You never know if the same person will be there and reachable at a later date when you might need it.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been there done that. As others have said, the first layoff is truly a punch in the gut. sad :((

The system was "down" the morning of the layoff. :rolleyes: They called 49 of us (50 or more would have required them to give advance notice. Bastards) into a room, said revenues are down 67%, we can't keep you, there are boxes by the elevators for your things. (At least I got a small amount of severance based on years - 8 - of service). When I got back to my area to clean out, one very sweet woman I worked with, totally without any malice, said jokingly, "So, what was it about? Did they fire you guys or something?" I said, "Well, yes, they did." I thought she was going to die of embarrassment and shock, poor thing.

Life goes on though, and you'll find another position and it will end up being better. I've had 2 layoffs and I was able to look back on both of them as springboards into other places where I needed to be more. One happened right before my mom became ill to the point that taking care of her affairs was almost a full-time job. I would have never been able to do what I did if I'd been working. So my experience is that these things work out as they should.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking in to this. So far, I’m not sure I’m eligible as I worked IN four quarters out of the last five (per my state’s requirement), but was terminated just shy of completing my fourth quarter. (First day was 08/28 and termination was 08/01.

A lot of states use an Alternate Base Period when there are not enough wages earned during the Standard Base Period to file a valid claim.

From what I understand, it is not that you have to have been employed the entire duration of a Base Period; it is that you have to have earned enough wages during the base period to qualify for unemployment benefits. If yes, they calculate your unemployment benefit payment based on your earnings during the relevant period.

In any case, I suggest filing the claim today if possible and letting your state decide whether you are eligible, rather than second-guessing it yourself. If the claim is approved, there often is a waiting period of one or two weeks where you aren't paid any unemployment benefit.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to hear this and can imagine how shocking it all must have been. However, I agree with others that sometimes a dead end can just be a fork in the road to new and better!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A lot of states use an Alternate Base Period when there are not enough wages earned during the Standard Base Period to file a valid claim.

From what I understand, it is not that you have to have been employed the entire duration of a Base Period; it is that you have to have earned enough wages during the base period to qualify for unemployment benefits. If yes, they calculate your unemployment benefit payment based on your earnings during the relevant period.

In any case, I suggest filing the claim today if possible and letting your state decide whether you are eligible, rather than second-guessing it yourself. If the claim is approved, there often is a waiting period of one or two weeks where you aren't paid any unemployment benefit.

Thank you! This is very helpful. I do believe I made enough, it was just the time that I worried about.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the kind words! While my internal alarm didn’t let me sleep in, I did get some extra snuggle time with my pups this morning. (Can’t resist the “babies”.) My husband is taking tomorrow off work and we are taking a roadtrip with the kids.

Gotta make the lemonade! :mrgreen2:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry @ohsomethingshiny. I was downsized out of my job 4 years ago. I at least had prior notice it was happening. As crappy as this is, I hope a better opportunity will present itself soon! Hugs!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry @ohsomethingshiny :(sad

I empathize - this hits home for me. My company is closing down after over a decade of being one of the most interesting and successful enterprises in our area. I’ve been there for three years, and I loved every day of work - I felt so privileged to want to go to work every day and to work with so many brilliant, passionate people.

We went through similar processes of downsizing and restructuring a few times before things came to a close, and it was heartbreaking for everyone, those laid off and those kept on. It truly is not personal, and it is not a reflection of your capabilities or work ethic, and believe me when I say that should you decide to re-enter the job market, when you explain that your position was eliminated absolutely no one will hold it against you.

What you do next is of course totally up to you and your DH!! I will say that if you choose to move onto something different, like the GIA course... just try to make sure that you’re making that choice because that’s what you truly want to do, and not because you’re worried that you wouldn’t succeed in your current field if you tried again. Because I’m confident that if you want to you will find another position that you enjoy and take pride in - and the person best suited to judge, your manager, explicitly told you the same! ::)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear this. I worked for a Biotech company and my entire team was let go by text message. KLASSY!:roll2: We found out why (they got bought by another company!) and they did it on a Sunday when people were flying in for Monday morning work (we were all required to be on site) No, not personal but they coulda did a lot better than that!

But hey, you're probably at a point where you can do what you love. When a door closes, another can open, and maybe its what you need to push you in that direction. I'm sure it smarts (no one wants to be rejected) but think of the opportunities ahead for you!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After 18-1/2 years of being a SAHM raising five kids, I went back to work. I started my new job August of last year and really enjoyed it. I didn’t miss a day of work, and only took 5 days off (3 of which were bereavement leave). Also, I had not received any write ups or had any major issues/conflicts. The overall feedback I received from my superiors was positive.

Yesterday, I got laid off. Even my immediate boss was shocked. (Ironically, today is her last day as she is moving out of state. This leaves her replacement, who has been on the job for three days, to take over all office duties... alone.) Apparently my entire position had been terminated as it will be moved to the corporate HQ 4 hours away. I had about five minutes to gather my things, log off my computer, turn in my key, and leave. No goodbyes to my coworkers. No responses to the potential patients I had been working with, and no tying up loose ends.

So, I guess, here’s to a twist in the road and the possibilities ahead. And to an unexpected “vacation” from work.

Oh wow. I am so sorry. Make sure they give you back pay for the vacation time you never took.

This happened to the woman my sister originally sold her house to. They had the contacts all signed and she went to work to tell them they good news and they said, “you are laid off. Sorry.” So they had to back out the contract.

It seems crazy ridiculous. Jobs want loyal employees and then they do things like this.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry to hear the news.
bighug5.gif
at least you are in good spirit. :clap:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry this happened to you. I think your husband had a good idea about the GIA courses. Best of luck whatever you decide to do!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry @ohsomethingshiny The abruptness is hard to deal with. It takes time to sink in. Be kind and gentle with yourself and give yourself lots of time. What a great husband you have. Bless you and him at this time of change.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a terrible way to receive this news. I am so sorry but you do seem in pretty good spirits about it nonetheless. Your DH is awesome!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate all of the kind words and thoughts. Y’all are such a supportive community!

I did talk to my former boss (my boss’ boss) yesterday. She said that under the circumstances (my position being moved across the state), she will pay me for my unused PTO. That’s 44+ hours in addition to my regular check. And she will send me a letter of recommendation.

My husband said the other day that he found it ironic that if LAD sells my pear, I would have pretty much the cost needed for the GIA course. And my mom lives in Vegas so I could stay with her for the labs portion. So I’m going to sign up and start the course the first full week my kids are back in class. Hopefully someone will buy the pear and cover this venture so I can start a new career. But if not, we will make it work (and I’ll reset that gorgeous piece of fruit). :mrgreen2:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry to hear about this but when you look back on this in the future it might be the best thing that has happened to your career! The GIA course would be an amazing venture! Wishing you a quick sale of your pear!!:roll2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results