shape
carat
color
clarity

I got a credit card in the mail

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I was just on the phone with my dad, and he said that a credit card was mailed to their house for me. Not a credit card offer, but an actual visa card with my name on it. I never requested it or applied for it. I don''t even live there. (My parents have my permission to open any of my mail that''s sent there.) Are they allowed to do that? What should I do?

I asked my dad if there was some sort of phone number that I could call, and he said not to worry about it now and I can just take care of it when I''m in the area in a month. But I''m just wondering- is this something that I should take care of now?

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Well I would be a bit concerned as to who had my information and applied for a card, so that might be worth investigating. Maybe visa can tell you when the account was applied for. I''d want to know how that happened. Is your dad sure it''s not one of those fake cards where they stamp your name on it along with the application? If it''s a legit card, don''t activate it...and don''t use it unless you want it. That happened to me when I was in college and I cut it up and threw it away. A year later I got a letter saying the account would be terminated since I never used it. I heard somewhere that canceling a credit card will hurt your credit rating vs just letting an account die by not using it...I''m not sure, hope you figure it out!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, IrishAngel. I asked him at least five times (probably more like 10) if he was SURE it wasn''t a fake card or an offer, and he was sure that it wasn''t.

I''m really wondering how it was opened, too. I just haven''t heard of this happening. I wasn''t planning on activating it, but I''ll ask him he can give me the number so I can call them and talk with them.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blenheim:

There are two possibilities:

The good one:

Some credit card companies target certain profiles of people and send them a real valid card.

If you use it you automatically agree to their terms.

I might be able to make a few guesses about your age and situation by the fact that you
recieved such an offer.

However, if this is the case... and this is your first credit card. Occasional use where you
immediately pay the bill of will work to your favor.

The bad one:

Someone has stolen your identity and is running up a lot of bills in your name.

You need to contact the credit card company ASAP to find out which situation this is. If you don''t want the card you can ask them to deactivate it.

Might I suggest that a 3 way call with your parents - who have physical possession of the card and you with the credit card company is in order. There will be a 800 number on the back of the card to call.

Perry

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Definitely check it out!

Another possibility... do you have a bank account that has their address? Could it be a new visa check card?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s possible someone else applied for it and is attempting to steal your identity, definitely check it out!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Like the others have said, definitely call the CC company and definitely check all three of your credit reports ASAP!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
This happened to me also, except it was a Macy's card.

I ran a free credit report check this year (I do one every couple years just to make sure there's no suspicious activity) and found this company name I didn't recognize. I googled it to see who it was and came up with all these forums addressing the issue "I ran a credit report and have an opened card called MXXXXX, but I don't know who that is" (I forget the name that was on the card, I never even had a physical card), and they said it was Macys parent company because before closing they'd opened new accounts without permission and it happened to alot of people. I just called the company and they closed it, took about 2 minutes.

So I guess they can. I'd run a credit report (just the basic one) just to make sure there is no suspicious activity.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of the advice! Everything''s taken care of with the company. Phew. I''ll go ahead and check my credit reports just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results