shape
carat
color
clarity

How to Measure for Correct Bra Size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Ok, my method of getting the correct bra size is to try it on and if it is comfortable, it''''s a winner. However, lately when I look at myself in photos, the girls seem to be hanging low. Well, I am 52 so gravity has been pulling them further down in the past years, but I am fairly tall (betw 5''''8" & 5''''9:) and weigh between 130 - 135 lbs, and I have been wearing an 36D. (Does that mean each one is at least 2 lbs?) Anyway, does anyone know the correct way to measure yourself for the band and cup size? I am sick of seeing my boobies almost touching my navel!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
My advice - don''t measure yourself, go get measured. Where I live, Nordstrom''s has the best department to do this, but any higher-end department store with good service, or a store specifically for lingerie should help. Find someone you are comfortable with, and take the time to try on many different styles. You''ll be amazed at what the right bra in the right size can do
1.gif

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
You could also get measured at a Victoria''s Secret store (and conveniently get some nice new bras as well
11.gif
)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
2nd to Nordstrom (or any high end store). My friend works there in lingerie and measures gals. . .she says most of her customers come in wearing the wrong size.

smiles

Shiny_Rock
Ditto to getting sized properly but if you are curious in the mean time you should measure around your rib cage right where the band would sit and measure around your chest in the middle. cup size is based on the difference in inches between the two measurements. So.... I believe 5 inches difference = DD so 4=D, 3=C, 2=B, 1=A etc.... and the rib cage measurement is the band size..... if you are that tall and only weight about 130lbs I doubt you are a 36 you probably need to go down to a 34 nad up the cup size.... just thoughts from someone who has spent a lot of time figuring out her size!!!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to going to Nordstrom for a proper fitting. And you''re just in time as they''re running a NORDSTROM FITS AMERICA event right now. I saw it advertised in the L.A Times Style section last Sunday and am planning to hit the one near me next week.

Here''s the link to locate all in-store events near you: http://about.nordstrom.com/MapPoint/PrxInput.aspx

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Another ditto on going to Nordies to get sized. I''ve been measured at VS too many times and they always give me a different size - once I was a 32A and then another time they told me I was a 34C! That''s a pretty big difference!

I also wanted to point out that different styles and different brands have their own sizing - so if you''re a 34C in a VS bra you might not be the same size in another brand or even another style of VS bra.

Personally, I love the Body by Victoria Full Coverage Uplift. It is slightly padded on the bottom of the cup for lift and is very supportive. After I had a baby I found that even my little (*)(*) needed a bit of help to look as perky as they used to be. Good luck in your search!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 10:24:40 PM
Author: neatfreak
I totally agree with AG that it''s better to get done professionally if you can...but if you can''t here is a good website:

http://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html
If I can I will try to get professionally fitted as everyone has recommended here. In the meantime, I checked out this website you recommended neatfreak and it was full of absolutely great information.

Based on what I read, I could either wear a 34 D or a 36C and the explanation of why made perfect sense. They explained the structure of a good bra and all the various parts and their functions. I have been wearing a minimizing bra and now understand why my boobs look like they are drooping. (Plus the fact that the band is stretchy doesn''t help the gals stay up either) A minimizer doesn''t reduce your breast size it just moves them in a different direction instead of outward so that large chested women can wear buttoned blouses without the gapping. It just happens that it makes mine droop downward which doesn''t look pretty.

The part about a racing strap bra was interesting. It said that this type of strap could cause problems in the cervical region of the back, like headaches and shoulder and back pain because of where the straps are.

Just so much great info. Oh, I love you neatfreak! Now I am so excited about hunting for a new bra.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 2:07:47 PM
Author: soocool
Date: 4/2/2009 10:24:40 PM

Author: neatfreak

I totally agree with AG that it''s better to get done professionally if you can...but if you can''t here is a good website:

http://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html
If I can I will try to get professionally fitted as everyone has recommended here. In the meantime, I checked out this website you recommended neatfreak and it was full of absolutely great information.

Based on what I read, I could either wear a 34 D or a 36C and the explanation of why made perfect sense. They explained the structure of a good bra and all the various parts and their functions. I have been wearing a minimizing bra and now understand why my boobs look like they are drooping. (Plus the fact that the band is stretchy doesn''t help the gals stay up either) A minimizer doesn''t reduce your breast size it just moves them in a different direction instead of outward so that large chested women can wear buttoned blouses without the gapping. It just happens that it makes mine droop downward which doesn''t look pretty.

The part about a racing strap bra was interesting. It said that this type of strap could cause problems in the cervical region of the back, like headaches and shoulder and back pain because of where the straps are.

Just so much great info. Oh, I love you neatfreak! Now I am so excited about hunting for a new bra.

Lol. I am glad to have helped! I also have bra issues (32DD here!) so I know how it is. I found that site awhile ago and found it very helpful and informative-especially for me because I have 0 high end stores around here to get properly measured in.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I stopped at a Hanes/Balli outlet near me today and they measured me. I was astonished to hear that I was neither a 34D nor a 36C as I thought. Turns out I am a 34DD and I had been wearing a 36D which made mine look droopy(no support in the band area). The SA pulled out a few styles, including a minimizer and when I tried them on what a difference! I looked slimmer on top and when I put my blouse on, it truly looked very different. I've never looked better in tops.

I told her that I need a strapless for an evening dress for a wedding in May and she showed me some long line strapless that she said is better for bigger busts. Unfortunately she did not have one in my size, but will call me when they come in. Has anyone here ever worn a long line bra?

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Socool, I wore one with my wedding dress. It''s not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it held the girls up where they should be and I didn''t have to worry about it slipping down at all. I''m a sloucher though and it was a bit uncomfortable for me to have to sit straight up for so long. I''d definitely bring the dress with you when you go back to try on the bra since sometimes you can see where the bra ends depending on the dress.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 12:43:56 PM
Author: robbie3982
Socool, I wore one with my wedding dress. It''s not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it held the girls up where they should be and I didn''t have to worry about it slipping down at all. I''m a sloucher though and it was a bit uncomfortable for me to have to sit straight up for so long. I''d definitely bring the dress with you when you go back to try on the bra since sometimes you can see where the bra ends depending on the dress.
Thanks Robbie, that''s a great suggestion. I will take the dress with me to make sure all looks well!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
House Cat: according to the article I am considered average at 34DD. Nice to know! They also mentioned size 28F - I''d like to see that gal! lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results